Zakaria MN , PhD
Department of Audiology and Speech Pathology Programme
School of Health Sciences
University of Science Malaysia
16150 Kubang Kerian
Dr. Zakaria, PhD is currently the Chairman and Assistant Professor of Audiology and Speech Pathology Programme, School of Health Sciences, University Sains Malaysia (USM). He obtained a degree in Master of Clinical Audiology from The University of Western Australia in 2003 and PhD in 2007 from the same University. He teaches in various aspects of audiology and otology for undergraduate and postgraduate students. His research focus is on neurotology, electrophysiology, central auditory disorders, vestibular and tinnitus studies. He has been awarded more than 15 research grants and has authored and co-authored over 50 journal and proceeding publications. He is also the head of the translational neurosciences of BRAINetwork research group of USM, whereby he is actively involved in developing a dynamic model for the central auditory nervous system based on the Artificial Neural Network (ANN) approach. Dr. Zakaria is also working collaboratively with engineers and medical experts in developing computer based products for hearing screening and auditory training, understanding the generation auditory hallucinations, investigating the effect of acoustic stimulation in treating cancer cells and many more. To keep him further active, he has supervised more than 80 students at Doctorate, Master’s and Bachelor’s level. He has also won silver and gold medal awards for his inventions in the field of vestibular.
His research interest include: Otology and neurotology, Auditory neuroscience, Electrophysiology, Audiological Engineering, Psychoacoustics, Noise & Hearing, Auditory Rehabilitation, Tinnitus Assessment & Rehabilitation, Balance/Vestibular Assessment & Rehabilitation, Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) Assessment & Rehabilitation, Hearing Amplification Technologies and newborn Hearing Screening
AWARDS AND MEMBERSHIPS
• (2013) Gold medal for Bal Ex Zu-Shah Rotatory Chair, ITEX, 9th-11th May 2013
• (2011)“Sanggar Sanjung” Award (Research Product) for Bal Ex: Homed-based Video Module for Balance Exercise, USM Level, Penang (RM3000, certificate and souvenir)
• (2011)“Sanggar Sanjung” Award (Quality) for Bal Ex: Homed-based Video Module for Balance Exercise, USM Level, Penang (RM3000, certificate and souvenir)
• (2010)Gold medal for Bal Ex: Homed-based Video Module for Balance Exercise at Innovation and Creative Convention (ICC), Renaissance Hotel, Kota Bharu, East Coast Region
• (2010) Gold medal for Bal Ex at CIC, Campus level, USM
• (2010) Silver medal for Bal Ex at Malaysia Technology Expo, PWTC
• (2009-2010) Awarded “Anugerah Perkhidmatan Cemerlang” (Excellent Service Award) USM
• (2011 – present) President – Association of Health Science Rehabilitation (PRSK)
• (2010-present) Member – Ministry of Health for Allied Health Professional (Audiology) Act
• (2007- present) Member – East Coast Cochlea Implant Team
• (2008 – present) Member – Association for helping hearing impaired children (PEMANCAR)
1) Zakaria MN. Auditory Localization Abilities in Subjects with Central Auditory Processing Disorders. Perth, Crawley WA 6009, Australia: PhD Thesis. The University of Western Australia; 2007.
2) Zakaria MN. A Survey on Condition of Hearing Aids Worn By Hearing-Impaired Children in Special Schools. Kampung Bangi, 43600 Bangi, Selangor, Malaysia: Bachelor of Audiology Thesis. University Kebangsaan Malaysia; 1999.
1. Khairi Md Daud M, Zuraida ZN, Normani ZM, Dinsuhaimi S, Zalina I. Development of malay version of vertigo symptom scale (mvvss) for clinical use. Malaysian Journal of Medicine and Health Sciences. 2010; 6(2): 31-39.
2. Mohd Khairi MD, Rafidah KN, Affizal A, Normastura AR, Suzana M, Normani ZM. Anxiety of the mothers with referred baby during Universal Newborn Hearing Screening. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2011: 75(4): 513-517. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2011.01.009
3. Khairi MdM, Farizan MN, Suhaimi SD, Normastura AR, Norhani AR, Normani ZM. Screening of dental staff nurses for noise induced hearing loss. B-ENT. 2011; 7(4): 245-249.
4. Zainun Z, Zakaria MN, Sidek D. Unilateral absent vestibular evoked myogenic potential in a patient presented with balance disorder: A case report. J Otolaryngol. 2011; 27: 46-49. doi: 10.1097/00005537-200103000-00025
5. Zainun Z, Zakaria MN, Sidek D, Ismail Z. Clinical use of Malay Version of Vertigo Symptom Scale (MVVSS) in patients with peripheral vestibular disorder (PVD). Med J Malaysia. 2012; 67(4): 386-389.
6. Zakaria MN, Zainun Z, Sidek D, Ismail Z. A Preliminary study of the Computerized Dynamic Posturography (CDP) in young adults and athletes. J Otolaryngol. 2012; 28: 14-16.
7. Zuraida Z, C. A. Mohd Riduan and Z. Mohd Normani. Validity and reliability of the Malay version of modified vertigo symptom scale (MVMVSS). Academic Journal of Science. 2012; 1(3): 33-39.
8. Abdul Wahid SN, Md Daud MK, Sidek D, Abd Rahman N, Mansor S, Zakaria MN. The performance of distortion product otoacoustic emissions and automated auditory brainstem response in the same ear of the babies in neonatal unit. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012; 76(9): 1366-1369. doi: 10.1016/j.ijporl.2012.06.008.
9. Zuraida Z, Normani ZM, Dinsuhaimi S, Zalina I. Determination of sensitivity & specificity of Dix Hallpike test (DHT) in peripheral vestibular disordered subjects. International Medical Journal. 2013; 20(2): 211-212.
10. Daud M. K. M, Noor S. S. M, Yusoff M. N. C. M, Rahman N. A, Zakaria M. N. Gender differences in coping skills of parents with hearing-impaired children. B-ENT. 2013; 9(4): 319-323.
11. Kamarulzaman A, Rahman NA, Zakaria MN. Sensorineural Hearing Loss in Chronic Suppurative Otitis Media. International Medical Journal. 2013: 20(5): 559-560.
12. Wahab NA, Zakaria MN, Abdul Rahman AH, Wahab S. Managing schizophrenic patients with auditory hallucination: Who else do we need in the team? International Medical Journal. 2013; 20(6): 1-4.
13. Zuraida Z, Normani ZM, Dinsuhaimi S, Zalina I. Determination of Sensitivity & Specificity of Canal Paresis of Caloric Test. International Medical Journal. 2013; 20(2): 213-215.
14. Zuraida Z, Nur Faizal S, Normani ZM, Muzaimi M. Assessment of anxiety symptoms among tinnitus patient using subjective measure: A case study. Health and Environmental Journal. 2014; 5(3): 9-19.
15. Zainun Z, Zakaria MN , Sidek D, Ismail Z. Sensitivity and specificity of vestibular evoked myogenic potential elicited by different tone bursts to diagnose vestibular disorder. Malaysian Journal of Medicine and Health Sciences. 2014; 10(2): 9-17.
16. Zainun Z, Zakaria MN, Jonson CYF, Bakar SA, Sidek D. Determination of Normative Data for a Cost-Effective Manual Rotary Chair: Preliminary Data. International Medical Journal. 2015; 22(4): 315-317.
17. Wahab S, Zakaria MN, Sidek D, Abdul Rahman AH, Shah SA, Wahab NA. Evaluation of auditory hallucinations in patients with schizophrenia: A validation study of the Malay version of Psychotic Symptom Rating Scales (PSYRATS). Psychiatry Research. 2015;228(3);462-467. (ISI, IF=2.466) doi: 10.1016/j.psychres.2015.06.014
18. Zakaria MN, Nik Othman NA, Aw CL. Tinnitus severity and sound therapy outcomes. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol. 2015; 8(2): 179. doi: 10.3342/ceo.2015.8.2.179
19. Zakaria MN, Aw CL, Zainun Z. Considerations when analyzing vestibular evoked myogenic potential (VEMP) outcomes elicited by chirp stimulus in healthy participants. Journal of International Advanced Otology. 2015; 11(3): 271-272. doi: 10.5152/iao.2015.1703
20. Wan Suhailah WH, Mohd Normani Z, Nik Adilah NO, Azizah O, Aw CL, Zuraida Z. The effectiveness of psychological interventions among tinnitus sufferers: A review. Med J Malaysia. 2015;70(3): 188-197.
21. Zuraida Z, Nur Faizal S, Zefarina Z, Mohd Normani Z, Muzaimi M. Assessment of Depression Symptoms among Tinnitus Patient Using Subjective Measure: A Preliminary Study. Health and Environmental Journal. 2016; 70(2): 96-101. doi: 10.1007/s00405-007-0440-8
22. Zakaria MN, Jalaei B. Gender and modulation frequency effects on auditory steady state response (ASSR) thresholds. European Archives of Otorhinolaryngology. 2016;273(2):349-354. (ISI, IF=1.627) doi: 10.1007/s00405-015-3555-3
23. Abdul Wahab NA, Wahab S, Abdul Rahman AH, Sidek D, Zakaria MN. The Hyperactivity of Efferent Auditory System in Patients with Schizophrenia: A Transient Evoked Otoacoustic Emissions Study. Psychiatry Investigation. 2016; 13(1): 82-88. doi: 10.4306/pi.2016.13.1.82
24. Zakaria MN, Jalaei B, Sidek D. Ipsilateral and contralateral recordings of 40-Hz auditory steady state response (ASSR): Which one is better? B-ENT. 2016; 12(1): 53-57.
25. Zakaria MN, Jalaei B, Aw CL, Sidek D. Are speech-evoked auditory brainstem response (speech-ABR) outcomes influenced by ethnicity? Neurological Sciences. 2016; 37(6): 943-948. (ISI, IF=1.783) doi: 10.1007/s10072-016-2522-0
26. Zakaria MN, Nik Othman NA, Aw CL. Is the degree of hearing loss truly dependent on the site of tympanic membrane perforation? Oman Medical Journal. 2016; 31(1): 9-10. doi: 10.5001/omj.2016.17
27. Zainun Z, Muhammad Nur Hilmi C. H, Zakaria MN , Nik Adilah N. O. Determination of the Neurocognitive Status using Objective Measurement: P300 among Tinnitus Patients. International Medical Journal. 2016; 23(4): 391-394.
28. Jalaei B, Shaabani M, Zakaria MN. Mode of recording and modulation frequency effects of auditory steady state response thresholds. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. doi: 10.1016/j.bjorl.2015.12.005
29. Zakaria MN, Aw CL, Abdul Wahab NA. The dominance of ossicular route in sound transmission. Clin Exp Otorhinolaryngol. 2016; 9(3): 282-283. doi: 10.21053/ceo.2015.01760
30. Zakaria MN, Ismail N, Abdul Wahab NA. Estimation of noise induced hearing loss (NIHL) with hearing deterioration index (HDI). J Clin Diagn Res. 2016; 10(8): 1-2 doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2016/19658.8292
31. Zainun Z, Zakaria MN, Sidek D, Ismail Z. Determine the Association among MVVSS, VEMP, CP and DHT in Peripheral Vestibular Disordered Subjects. International Medical Journal. 2016; 23(5): 499-503. 10.5812/ircmj.3507
32. Zainun Z, Zakaria MN, Sidek D, Ismail Z. Pathology distribution for peripheral vestibular disordered patients in ORL-HNS Clinic, Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia. International Medical Journal. 2016; 23(5): 1-3.
33. Jalaei B, Zakaria MN, Mohd Azmi MA, Nik Othman NA, Sidek D. Gender disparities in speech-evoked auditory brainstem response in healthy adults: Any relation to head size? Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology. 2016.
34. Zuraida Z, Faizal SN, Normani ZM. Tinnitus characteristics patient using subjective measure: A preliminary study. International Medical Journal. Dec 2016; 23(6).
35. Zainun Z, Zakaria MN, Sidek D, Ismail Z. Determination of the normative value of vestibular evoked myogenic potential test among normal adults. International Medical Journal. 2017; 24(1).