Yung-Chieh Yen, MD, MSc, PhD
Department of Medicine
Director, Department of Psychiatry
1 Yi-Da Road, Yan Chau District
Kaohsiung 824, Taiwan
• (2007) Doctor of Philosophy in Mental Health, the Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health
• (2000) Master of Science, Institute of Behavioral Science, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan
• (1991) Doctor of Medicine, School of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan
• E-Da Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, – Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Director of the Department of Psychiatry, (December 2008-Present)
• Attending Psychiatrist, (October 2007-Present)
• Military Kaohsiung General Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, – Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Director and Attending Psychiatrist of Primary Psychiatry Division, (August 2000-July 2003)
• Calo Psychiatric Center, Department of Psychiatry, – Ping-Tung, Taiwan Attending Psychiatrist, (August 1999 -July 2000)
• Tsyr-Huey Mental Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, – Kaohsiung, Taiwan Attending Psychiatrist, (August 1998-July 1999)
• Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, – Kaohsiung, Taiwan, Chief Resident, (August 1997-July 1998)
• Resident, (August 1994-July 1997)
• Tsyr-Huey Mental Hospital, Department of Psychiatry, Kaohsiung, Taiwan Resident, (June 1993-July 1994)
His research interests include: Obesity psychology.
• Best Poster, the Annual Scientific Meeting, Taiwanese Psychiatric Association (2014)
• Best Poster, the Annual Scientific Meeting, Taiwanese Psychiatric Association (2012)
• Best Poster, the Annual Scientific Meeting, Taiwanese Evidence-Based Medicine Association (2010)
• Investigation Award, the GlaxoSmithKline (GSK Taiwan) (2009)
• Junior Investigator Award, the International College of Geriatric Neurpsychopharmacology (ICGP) (2008)
• Best Poster, the Annual Scientific Meeting, Taiwanese Evidence-Based Medicine Association (2008)
• Best Poster, the Annual Scientific Meeting, Taiwanese Psychiatric Association (2008)
• Mental Health Scholarship, the Johns Hopkins University (2004-2007)
• Student Conference Fund, the Johns Hopkins University (2006)
• Gold Medal for Best Graduate Student, Graduate Institute of Behavioural Science, Kaohsiung Medical University (2000)
• Graduate Award for Best Medical Student, School of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University (1991)
1. Yang MJ, Shi CH, Yen YC. The adjustment difficulties and mental health problems of foreign laborers (in Chinese). Journal of Community Development. 1996; 75: 193-202.
2. Yen YC, Cheng SF, Yang MJ, Ho CK, Chong MY. The rescuers participating in an intervention program after an industrial accident. Taiwanese Journal of Psychiatry. 2000; 14(1): 41-50.
3. Yen YC, Yang MJ, Chen CC, Chong MY. Ethical issues in everyday psychiatric practice: from the perspective of medical students. Medical Education. 2000; 3(1): 29-39.
4. Yen YC, Liu CK, Lung FW, Chong MY. Apolipoprotein E polymorphism and Alzheimers disease. Kaohsiung Journal of Medical Science. 2001; 17(4): 190-197.
5. Yen YC, Lung FW, Chong MY. Adverse effects of risperidone and haloperidol treatment in schizophrenia. Progress in Neuropsychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry. 2004; 28(2): 285-290.
6. Yen YC, Yang MJ, Shih CH, Lung FW. Cognitive impairment and associated risk factors among aged community members. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2004; 19(6): 564-569. doi: 10.1002/gps.1131
7. Lung FW, Yen YC, Chuo LJ, Hong CJ, Wu CK. The allele interaction between apolipoprotein ε2 and ε4 in Taiwanese Alzheimers disease patients. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 2005; 111: 38-43.
8. Yen YC, Yang MJ, Yang MS, et al. Suicidal ideation and associated factors among community-dwelling elders in Taiwan. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences. 2005; 59(4): 365-371. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1819.2005.01387.x
9. Lung FW, Hsueh KL, Yang TT, et al. Current status of medical facilities for the prevention and treatment of sexual offense in Taiwan. Taiwanese Journal of Psychiatry. 2005; 19: 47-55.
10. Lung FW, Lu YC, Shen MH, Tzeng DS, Yen YC, Kao CY. Survey of needs for psychiatric specialty training program. Taiwanese Journal of Psychiatry. 2006; 20: 192-200.
11. Yen YC, Shu BC, Wang CS, et al. A positive relationship between Apo ε2 allele and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Nutrition Research. 2006; 26(9): 443-449. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2006.07.003
12. Lung FW, Kao WT, Shu BC, Yen YC, Tzeng DS. A module map showing interaction between apolipoprotein E and phospholipase A2 polymorphism in lipid profiles. Human Heredity. 2006; 62(3): 135-144. doi: 10.1159/000096417
13. Lung FW, Chou FHC, Lu YC, Wen J-K, Yen YC, Kao CY. In-prison treatment for sexual offenders in Taiwan. International Journal of Offender Therapy & Comparative Criminology. 2007; 51(3): 340-347. doi: 10.1177/0306624X06292676
14. Yen YC, Rebok GW, Gallo JJ, Yang MJ, Lung FW, Shih CH. APOE4 allele is associated with late-life depression: A population-based study. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2007; 15(10): 858-868.
15. Yen YC, Rebok GW, Yang MJ, Lung FW, Shih CH. A multilevel analysis of the influence of Apolipoprotein E genotypes on depressive symptoms in late-life moderated by the environment. Progress in Neuropsychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry. 2008; 32(2): 479-486.
16. Kao WT, Yen YC, Lung FW. The effects of beta2 adrenergic receptor gene polymorphism in lipid profiles. Lipids in Health & Disease. 2008; 7: 20-26. doi: 10.1186/1476-511X-7-20
17. Moghaddam M, Yen YC, Gross AL, Rebok GW. Alzheimers disease: new perspectives on integration of multidisciplinary and multidimensional approaches. Journal of Medical Psychology. 2009; 1(1): 29-35.
18. Hou WH, Chiang PT, Hsu TY, Chiu SY, Yen YC. Treatment effects of massage therapy in depressed people: A meta-analysis. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2010; 71(7): 894-901. doi: 10.4088/JCP.09r05009blu
19. Yen YC. Geriatric psychiatric care in Taiwan. International Journal of Medicine. 2010.
20. Chang TT, Yen YC. Cytokines and major psychiatric disorders. Taiwanese Journal of Psychiatry (Taipei). 2010; 24(4): 257-268.
21. Yen YC, Rebok GW, Gallo JJ, Jones R, Tennstedt S. Depressive symptoms impair everyday problem-solving ability through cognitive abilities in late life. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2011; 19(2): 142-150. doi: 10.1097/JGP.0b013e3181e89894
22. Yu TH, Lu LF, Hung WC, et al. Circulating visfatin level at admission is associated with occlusion of the infarct-related artery in patients with acute ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. Acta Cardiologica Sinica. 2011; 27(2): 77-85.
23. Huang CH, Yen YC. A patient with tuberous sclerosis complex with manic features. Taiwanese Journal of Psychiatry (Taipei). 2011; 25(2): 106-109.
24. Shen SC, Lin IM, Yen YC, Wang CP, Tsao YM, Li WC. Correlation of autonomic nervous system and endothelium cell function in major depressive disorder patients. Archives of Clinical Psychology. 2012; 6(1): 79.
25. Yen YC, Lung FW. Older adults with marriage or higher income have longer telomere. Age & Aging. 2013; 42(2): 234-239.
26. Lin CW, Lin CC, Mo LR, et al. Heavy alcohol consumption increases the incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in hepatitis B virus-related cirrhosis. Journal of Hepatology. 2012; 58(4): 730-735. doi: 10.1016/j.jhep.2012.11.045
27. Lin HY, Huang CK, Tai CM, et al. Psychiatric disorders of patients seeking obesity treatment. BMC Psychiatry. 2013; 13: 1-8. doi: 10.1186/1471-244X-13-1
28. Changchien TC, Yen YC. A boys possession state after Epstein-Barr virus encephalitis. Taiwanese Journal of Psychiatry (Taipei). 2013; 27(2): 156-160.
29. Lee KC, Yen YC. Major depressive episode comorbid with Parkinsons disease: A case series. Taiwanese Journal of Psychiatry (Taipei). 2013; 27(3): 246-248.
30. Tai CM, Lin HY, Yen YC, et al. Effectiveness of intragastric balloon treatment for obese patients: One-year follow-up after balloon removal. Obesity Surgery Journal of Metabolic Surgery and Allied Care. 2013; 23(12): 2068-2074. doi: 10.1007/s11695-013-1027-7
31. Lin CH, Yen YC, Chen MC, Chen CC. Relief of depression and pain improves daily functioning and quality of life in patients with major depression disorder. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biolobical Psychiatry. 2013; 47: 93-98. doi: 10.1016/j.pnpbp.2013.08.003
32. Pattanshetti S, Tai CM, Yen YC, Lin HY, Chi SC, Huang CK. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banded placation: Evolution of procedure and 2-year results. Obesity Surgery Journal of Metabolic Surgery & Allied Care. 2013; 23(11): 1934-1938. doi: 10.1007/s11695-013-1054-4
33. Huang CK, Goel R, Tai CM, Yen YC, Gohil VD, Chen XY. Novel metabolic surgery for type II diabetes mellitus: loop duodenojejunal bypass with sleeve gastrectomy. Surgical Laparoscopy Endoscopy & Percutaneous Technology. 2013; 23(6): 481-485. doi: 10.1097/SLE.0b013e3182950111
34. Liao YJ, Yen YC, Ying JC. Behavioral intentions of nurses participating in music therapy training. Pao-Chien Journal of Healthcare and Management. 2013; 11(2): 44-57.
35. Wei YF, Wu HD, Yen YC, Huang CK, Tai CM, Hsuan CF. The impact of metabolic parameters on the change of pulmonary function in obese patients. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 2014; 10(1): 23-28. doi: 10.1016/j.soard.2013.06.021.
36. Tu CH, Yen YC. Routine depression screening and diagnosing strategy for cancer inpatients. Psycho-Oncology. 2014; 23: 1057-1067. doi: 10.1002/pon.3547
37. Lin CH, Yen YC, Chen MC, Chen CC. Depression and pain impair daily functioning and quality of life in patients with major depressive disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2014; 166: 173-178. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2014.03.039
38. Yen YC, Huang CK, Tai CM. Psychiatric aspects of bariatric surgery. Current Opinion in Psychiatry. 2014; 27(5): 374-379. doi: 10.1097/YCO.0000000000000085
39. Chang TT, Lung FW, Yen YC. Depressive symptoms, cognitive impairment and metabolic syndrome in community-dwelling elders in Southern Taiwan. Psychogeriatrics. 2014. doi: 10.1111/psyg.12080
40. Kuo KM, Talley PC, Lee CM, Yen YC. The influence of telemedicine experience on physicians perceptions regarding adoption. Telemedicine Journal & e-Health. 2015.