Young Kwang Chae, MD, MPH, MBA
Northwestern Medicine Developmental
Division of Hematology and Oncology
Department of Medicine
Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
645 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 1006
Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Dr. Chae is a translational and clinical investigator focusing on novel drug and biomarker development in early phase clinical trials in oncology. His plan is to bridge the gap between the cutting edge science and clinical medicine. His interest is in personalized precision medicine, novel combination therapy including immunotherapies and targeted therapies, rational clinical trial design and implementation in first in human clinical trials, and bio-correlatives that can help select patients predicted to have higher responses and lower toxicities to targeted therapies.
His research interests include: personalized precision medicine, novel combination therapy including immunotherapies and targeted therapies, rational clinical trial design and implementation in first in human clinical trials, and bio-correlatives that can help select patients predicted to have higher responses and lower toxicities to targeted therapies.
Honors and Awards
•(2004) Samsung Scholarship: tuition and living expense support for the Johns Hopkins University MPH program
•(2006) Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Student Conference Award
•(2009) First place, Clinical Research Award, Albert Einstein Medical Center, for outstanding poster presented on the Research Recognition Day
•(2009) Harry Goldberg MD Award, Albert Einstein Medical Center, for excellence in creativity for intern research project
•(2009) Poster Finalist, the ACP National Abstract Competition, American Collage of Physician Annual meeting, Philadelphia, PA
•(2009) Second place, the ACP Associate Poster Competition, American College of Physicians Pennsylvania Chapter, Southeast Regional Meeting
•(2009) The SABCS Clinical Scholarship Award, AACR-ATCC San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, San Antonio, TX
•(2009) First place, Resident Research Competition, Albert Einstein Medical Center, for outstanding oral presentation on resident research project
•(2011) The ACP Associate Award, the ACP National Abstract Competition, Oral podium presentation, American Collage of Physician Annual meeting, San Diego, California
•(2011) Second place, Resident Research Competition, Albert Einstein Medical Center, for outstanding oral presentation on resident research project
•(2011) Sonia Stupniker MD Library Award, Albert Einstein Medical Center, for the best scholarly activity among the graduating medicine residents
•(2011) Louis B. Schatz Memorial Award, Albert Einstein Medical Center, Albert Einstein Medical Center, for the best graduating resident in the institution in clinical competency and academic excellence.
•(2012) The ASH Outstanding Abstract Achievement Award. The American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA
•(2013) The ASCO Conquer Cancer Foundation Merit Award. The Gastrointestinal Cancer Symposium (ASCO), San Francisco, CA
•(2013) The Allison and Brian Grove Endowed Fellowship Award for Breast Medical Oncology. The MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
•(2013) The AACR-GlaxoSmithKline Outstanding Clinical Scholar Award. The AACR Annual Meeting, Washington DC
•(2013) The Silver Medalist, The Certificate of Achievement, Lindon B. Johnson Oncology Clinic, MD Anderson Hematology & Oncology Fellowship Program, Houston, TX
•(2013) The Young Investigator Award, “ASCO/AACR Translational Cancer Research Award” Conquer Cancer Foundation. The ASCO Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL
•(2013) The ASH Outstanding Abstract Achievement Award, December, 2013, The American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA
•(2014) MD Anderson Cancer Center Hematology Oncology LBJ Board Review Championship Award, Division of Cancer Medicine Hematology Oncology Fellowship Program, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
•(2014) Molecular Biology in Clinical Oncology AACR Workshop travel award, Snowmass, CO
ARTICLES IN PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS
1. Kim MS, Yamashita K, Chae YK, et al. Promoter Methylation Pattern in the NMDA Receptor 2B Gene Predicts Poor Prognosis in Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Clinical Cancer Research. 2007; 13(22): 6658-6665. doi:10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-07-1178
2. Chae YK, Park JC, Kim MS, Lee J, Sidransky D, Moon C. Epigenetic Silencing of T (Brachyury Homologue) Gene in Human Lung Adenocarcinoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008; 365(2): 221-6. doi:10.1016/j.bbrc.2007.10.144
3. Chae YK, Woo J, Jang SJ, et al. Membrane trafficking of AQP5 and cAMP dependent phosphorylation in bronchial epithelium. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008; 366(2): 321-327. doi:10.1016/j.bbrc.2007.11.078
4. Kim MS, Lebron C, Nagpal JK, et al. Methylation of the DFNA5 increases risk of lymph node metastasis in human breast cancer. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008; 370(1): 38-43. doi:10.1016/j.bbrc.2008.03.026.
5. Chae YK, Woo J, Kim M, et al. Expression of aquaporin 5 (AQP5) promotes tumor invasion in human non small cell lung cancer. PLoS One. 2008; 3(5): e2162. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0002162.
6. Nagpal JK, Dasgupta S, Jadallah S, et al. Profiling the expression pattern of GPI transamidase complex subunits in human cancer. Mod Pathol. 2008; 21(8): 979-991. doi:10.1038/modpathol.2008.76.
7. Woo J, Lee J, Chae YK, et al. Over expression of AQP5, a putative oncogene, promotes cell growth and transformation. Cancer Lett. 2008; 264(1): 54-62. doi:10.1016/j.canlet.2008.01.029.
8. Chae YK, Kang SK, Kim MS, et al. Human AQP5 plays a role in the development of chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML). PLoS One. 2008; 3(7): e2594.
9. Moon C, Park JC, Chae YK, Yun JH, Kim S. Current Status of Experimental Therapeutics for Prostate Cancer. Cancer Lett. 2008; 266(2): 116-134. doi:10.1016/j.canlet.2008.02.065.
10. Chae YK, Kang SK, Woo J, et al. Role of hAQP5 in colorectal carcinogenesis. Am J Pathol. 2008; 173(2): 518-525. doi:10.2353/ajpath.2008.071198.
11. Chae YK, Huang HY, Strickland P, Hoffman SC, Helzlsouer K. Genetic Polymorphisms of Estrogen Receptors α and β and the Risk of Developing Prostate Cancer. PLoS One. 2009; 4(8): e6523. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0006523.
12. Kim M, Louwagie J, Carvalho B, et al. Promoter DNA methylation of Oncostatin M receptor-β as a novel diagnostic and therapeutic marker in colon cancer. PLoS One. 2009; 4(8): e6555. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0006555.
13. Jang S, Chae YK, Haddad T, Majhail NS. Conflict of interest in economic analyses of aromatase inhibitors in breast cancer: a systematic review. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2010; 121(2): 273-279. doi:10.1007/s10549-010-0870-7.
14. Moon C, Chae YK, Lee J. Targeting epidermal growth factor receptor in head and neck cancer: lessons learned from cetuximab. Exp Biol Med. 2010; 235(8): 907-920. doi:10.1258/ebm.2009.009181
15. Kim J, Purushottam B, Chae YK, Chebrolu L, Amanullah A. Relation between common allergic symptoms and coronary heart disease among NHANES III participants. Am J Cardiol. 2010; 106(7): 984-987. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2010.05.029.
16. Jang S, Chae YK, Majhail NS. Financial Conflicts of Interest in Economic Analyses in Oncology. Am J Clin Oncol. 2010. doi:10.1097/COC.0b013e3181f4799b.
17. Park IS, Chang X, Loyo M, et al. Characterization of the methylation patterns in human papillomavirus type 16 viral DNA in head and neck cancers. Cancer Prev Res. 2011; 4(2): 207-217. doi:10.1158/1940-6207.CAPR-10-0147
18. Khemasuwan D, Chae YK, Gupta S, et al. Dose-related effect of Statins in venous thrombosis risk reduction. Am J Med. 2011; 124(9): 852-859. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2011.04.019.
19. Chae YK, Valsecchi ME, Kim J, et al. Reduced risk of breast cancer recurrence in patients using ACE Inhibitors, ARBs and/or Statins. Cancer Investigation. Cancer Invest. 2011; 29(9): 585-593.
20. Chae YK, Neagu S, Kim J, Smyrlis A, Gooptu M, Tester W. Association between Common Allergic Symptoms and Cancer in the NHANES III Female Cohort. PLoS One. 2012; 7(9): e42896. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0042896.
21. Mekaroonkamol P, Chaput KJ, Chae YK, et al. Repeat colonoscopys value in gastrointestinal bleeding. World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2013; 5(2): 56-61. doi:10.4253/wjge.v5.i2.56.
22. Kim J, Chae YK, Chernoff A. The Risk for Coronary Heart Disease According to Insulin Resistance with and without Type 2 Diabetes. Endocr Res. 2013. doi:10.3109/07435800.2013.766800
23. Chae YK, Hu MI, Katz RL, et al. Two birds with one stone: Octreotide treatment for acromegaly and breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31(23): e398-e400. doi:10.1200/JCO.2012.46.6383.
24. Chae YK, Brown EN, Lei X, et al. Use of ACE inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers and primary breast cancer outcomes. J Cancer. 2013; 4(7): 549-556. doi:10.7150/jca.6888.
25. Chae YK, Khemasuwan D, Dimou A, et al. Inhibition of renin angiotensin axis may reduce the risk of developing venous thromboembolism in patients with atherosclerotic disease. PLoS One. 2014. 9(1): e87813. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0087813.
26. Chae YK, Trinh L, Preetesh J, et al. Statins and aspirin is associated with improved the outcome of fludarabine, cyclosphosphamide, and rituximab (FCR) salvage therapy in patients with relapsed/refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Blood. 2014; 123(9): 1424-1426.
27. Chae YK, Dimou A, Pierce S, Kantarjian H, Andreeff M. The effect of calcium channel blockers on the outcome of acute myeloid leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma. 2014. doi:10.3109/10428194.2014.901513
28. Chae YK, Gonzalez-Angulo AM. Implications of proteomic profiling in breast cancer. The Oncologist. 2014; 19(4): 328-335. doi:10.1634/theoncologist.2013-0437
29. Kaseb AO, Xiao L, Hassan MM, et al. Development and validation of an insulin-like growth factor score to assess hepatic reserve. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014; 106(5). doi:10.1093/jnci/dju088.
30. Dimou A, Non L, Chae YK, Tester WJ, Syrigos KN. MET gene copy number predicts worse overall survival in patients with Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC); a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One. 2014; 9(9): e107677. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0107677.