William Jacobowitz, MS, MPH, EdD, RN
Owner of Lynbrook Supportive Therapy
Lynbrook, NY, USA
Dr. Jacobowitz has been an Assistant Professor in the College of Nursing and Public Health at Adelphi University in Garden City, New York since 2011. Prior to that and over the course of a 22-year timespan, he held a variety of Senior Level Administrative positions in Not-for-profit Medical Centers in the New York Metropolitan region, overseeing healthcare delivery to individuals with psychiatric disorders.
His research interests include: Emotional trauma experienced by psychiatric healthcare providers and the development of post-traumatic stress disorder and burnout.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
• Alumae Association, School of Nursing, Columbia University, (1988 to Present)
• Alumnae Association, School of Public Health, Columbia University, (1989 to Present)
• American Psychiatric Nursing Association, (September 2011 to Present)
• Eastern Nursing Research Society, (March 2012 to Present)
• International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses, (March 12, 2012 to Present)
• International Society of Trauma Stress Studies, (March 2012 to Present)
• Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Honor Society, (May 2011 to Present)
1. Jacobowitz W, Derbabian B, Saunders A. The Effect of a Calorie-Restricted Diet on Weight Gain in Short-Term Psychiatric Inpatients Receiving Atypical Antipsychotic Medications. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services. 2014; 52(7): 30-37. doi: 10.3928/02793695-20140421-01
2. Jacobowitz W. PTSD in Psychiatric Nurses and Other Mental Health Providers: A Review of the Literature. Issues in Mental health Nursing. 2013; 34: 787-795. doi: 10.3109/01612840.2013.824053
3. Berrios CD, Jacobowitz WH. Therapeutic holding: outcomes of a pilot study. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Service. 1998; 36(8): 14-18.
1. Jacobowitz W. Violence screening and primary care. In: Singleton JK, DiGregorio RV, Green-Hernandez C, et al, Eds. Primary care. 2nd. ed. New York: Springer. 2014.
2. Loewenstein K, Jacobowitz W. Depressive disorders and bipolar disorder. In: Singleton JK, DiGregorio RV, Green-Hernandez C, et al, Eds. Primary care. 2nd. ed. New York: Springer. 2014.