Veeranki Sreenivas Phani, DrPH
Department of Preventive Medicine &
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX 77555, USA
• (2014) Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Pediatrics, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
• (2012) DrPH, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, College of Public Health, East Tennessee State University
• (2009) MPH, Department of Public Health, College of Public Affairs & Administration, University of Illinois
• (2006) MBBS, Siddhartha Medical College, N.T.R University of Health Sciences
PROFESSIONAL AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
• (2014-Present) Assistant Professor, Department of Preventive Medicine and Community Health, University of Texas Medical Branch
• (2012-2014) Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Pediatrics, Division of General Pediatrics [Pediatric Health Outcomes Research], Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
• (2011) Public Health Practice Intern, Heart SHAPE program, Wellmont CVA Heart Institute
• (2012) Summer Grants Assistant, College of Public Health, East Tennessee State University
• (2009-2012) Research Assistant, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, East Tennessee State University College of Public Health
• (2009-2011) Teaching Assistant, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, East Tennessee State University College of Public Health
• (2006-2008) Research Data Analyst/Graduate Public Service Intern, Illinois Lead Program, Illinois Department of Public Health
• (2005-2006) Intern, University General Hospital Affiliated to Siddhartha Medical College, Vijayawada, India
His research interests include: Women, children and adolescents: Maternal, child and adolescent health epidemiology, respiratory and atopic diseases, tobacco use behaviors in children and adolescents, Young and middle-age adults: asthma and COPD, Older adults: Cognitive functioning in older adults, Epidemiology expertise: MCH epidemiology, pediatric epidemiology, pharmacoepidemiology, study designs expertise, systematic reviews and meta-analysis, advanced biostatistics modeling.
• (2011-Present) American College of Epidemiology (ACE)
• (2012-2013) Academic Pediatric Association (APA)
• (2009-Present) American Public Health Association (APHA)
• (2014-Present) American Thoracic Society (ATS)
• (2014-Present) Association for Prevention Teaching and Research (APTR)
• (2007-2008 Illinois Public Health Association (IPHA)
• (2011-Present) South Asian Public Health Association (SAPHA)
• (2009-Present) 2011 Tennessee Public Health Association (TPHA)
• (2009-Present) 2012 Tennessee Cancer Coalition (TCC)
• (2016-Present) Texas Public Health Association (TPHA)
• (2015) International Society of Pharmacoepidemiology (ISPE)
• (2015) Elected Member, American College of Epidemiology
• (2014) Abstract Scholarship Award, American Thoracic Society meeting
• (2013) American College of Epidemiology Travel award, ACE conference
• (2013) American College of Epidemiology Travel award, ACE policy workshop
• (2013) Nominee, International Scholar Laurette
• (2012) Nominee, International Scholar Laurette
• (2011) Best Student Research Award, Delta Omega Honorary Society of Public Health, American Public Health Association
• (2011) Graduate Professional and Student Association Travel Scholarship, East Tennessee State University Foundation
• (2010) Nominee, Golden Key International Society
• (2010) Graduate Professional and Student Association Travel Scholarship
• (2010) Tennessee Cancer Coalition Travel Award
• (2000) Certificate of Merit for outstanding in Mathematics, Ministry of Human Resources and Development, New Delhi, India
• (1999) Certificate of Merit, Central Board of Secondary Education, New Delhi, India
1. Veeranki SP. Metformin use and asthma: Further Investigations. Respirology. 2016. doi: 10.1111/resp.12923
2. Veeranki SP, John RM, Ibrahim A, et al. Age of smoking initiation in West Africa. Int J Pub Health. 2016. doi: 10.1007/s00038-016-0888-7
3. Panchal HB, Veeranki SP, Bhatheja S, et al. Fractional flow reserve using computed tomography for assessing coronary artery disease: A meta-analysis. Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine. 2016; 17(9): 694-700. doi: 10.2459/JCM.0000000000000415
4. Kaul S, Veeranki SP, Rodriguez AM, Kuo Y. Cigarette Smoking, Comorbidity and General Health among Survivors of Adolescent and Young Adult Cancer. Cancer. 2016. doi: 10.1002/cncr.30086
5. Mamudu HM, Paul T, Wang L, et al. The effects of multiple coronary artery disease risk factors on subclinical atherosclerosis in a rural population in the United States. Prev Med. 2016; 88:140-146.
6. Downer B, Veeranki SP, Wong R. A Late Life Risk Index for Severe Cognitive Impairment in Mexico. J Alzheimers Dis. 2016; 52(1): 191-203. doi: 10.3233/JAD-150702
7. Zheng S, Mogusu E, Veeranki SP, Quinn MA, Cao Y. The relationship between the mean, median and mode with grouped data. Communications in Statistics-Theory and Methods. doi: 10.1080/03610926.2015.1081948
8. Lee WC, Veeranki SP, Serag H, Eschbach E, Smith KD. Improving the collection of race, ethnicity, and language data to reduce healthcare disparities: A case study from an academic center model. Perspectives in Health Information Management. 2016; 2016: 1-11.
9. Veeranki SP, Downer B, Jupiter D, Wong R. Arthritis: A risk factor for functional impairment but not cognitive impairment in older Mexican adults. J Aging Health. 2016. doi: 10.1177/0898264316636838
10. Kheirallah KA, Alsulaiman JW, Al-Sakran M, Alzyoud S, Veeranki SP, Ward KD. Waterpipe tobacco smoking among Arab youth: A cross-country comparison. Ethn Dis. 2016; 26(1): 107-112. doi: 10.18865/ed.26.1.107
11. Mamudu HM, Veeranki SP, Kioko D, Bhogozian R, Littleton MA. Exploring support for campus tobacco-free policies and environments among college tobacco users. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016; 22(1): 29-39.
12. Veeranki SP, Dierking L, Alzyoud S, et al. Associations of adolescents cigarette, waterpipe and dual tobacco use with parental tobacco use. Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 18(5): 879-884. doi: 10.1093/ntr/ntv224
13. Veeranki SP, Gebretsadik T, Mitchel E, et al. Maternal folic acid supplementation during pregnancy and early childhood asthma. Epidemiology. 2015; 26(6): 934-941. doi: 10.1097/EDE.0000000000000380
14. Mamudu HM, Paul T, Veeranki SP, Wang L, Panchal H, Budoff M. Subclinical atherosclerosis and relationship with risk factors of coronary artery disease in a rural population. Am J Med Sci. 2015; 350(4): 257-262. doi: 10.1097/MAJ.0000000000000548
15. Alzyoud S, Veeranki SP, Kheirallah K, Pbert L. Validation of the Arabic version of modified Fagerstrom questionnaire among school-going adolescent waterpipe users. Glob J Health Sci. 2015; 8(2):198-208.
16. Kalakoti P, Sharma K, Harsha V, Veeranki SP. Use of mobile applications in neurosurgery: Are we compromising on patient confidentiality and privacy? Neurol India. 2015; 63(4): 641-642. doi: 10.4103/0028-3886.162139
17. Mamudu HM, Veeranki SP, John RM, Kioko D, Ouma OA. Secondhand smoke exposure among adolescents in West Africa. Am J Public Health. 2015; 105(9): 1823-1830. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2015.302661.
18. Veeranki SP, Alzhyoud S, Kherirallah KA, Pbert L. Waterpipe use with susceptibility to cigarette smoking among never smoking youth. Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49(4): 502-511. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2015.03.035
19. Veeranki SP, Mamudu HM, John RM, Kioko D, Ouma AE. Prevalence and correlates of tobacco use among adolescents in Madagascar. J Epidemiol Glob Health. 2015; 5(3): 239-247. doi: 10.1016/j.jegh.2014.12.005
20. Veeranki SP, Mamudu HM, Zheng S, et al. Secondhand smoke exposure Among Never-Smoking Youth in 168 Countries. J Adolesc Health. 2015; 56(2): 167-173. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2014.09.014
21. Sharma K, Kalakoti P, Ohri K, et al. Invalid presentation of bilateral synchronous presentation of spermatocytic seminoma. Pan Afr Med J. 2014; 19: 34.
22. Panchal HB, Ladia V, Amin P, et al. A meta- analysis of the mortality and major adverse cardiovascular and cerebrovascular events in patients undergoing transfemoral versus transapical transcatheter aortic valve implantation using edwards valve for severe aortic stenosis. Am J Cardiol. 2014; 114(12): 1882-1890. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2014.09.029
23. Cao Y, Callahan KL, Veeranki SP, Chen Y, Liu X, Zheng S. Vitamin D status and demographic and lifestyle determinants among adults in the United States (NHANES 2001-2006). Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2014; 6(6): 743-750.
24. Mamudu HM, Paul TK, Veeranki SP, Budoff M. The effects of coronary artery calcium screening on behavioral modification, risk perception, and medication adherence among asymptomatic adults: A systematic review. Atherosclerosis. 2014; 236(2): 338-350.
25. Veeranki SP, Zheng S. Trends and determinants of up-to-date screening status of colorectal cancer in Tennessee, 2000-2008. Int J Prev Med. 2014; 5(7): 865-874.
26. Veeranki SP, Gebretsadik T, Dorris S, et al. Timing of prenatal folic acid supplementation during pregnancy and infant bronchiolitis. Am J Epidemiol. 2014; 179(8): 938-946.
27. Mamudu HM, Dadkar S, Veeranki SP, He Y, Barnes R, Glantz SA. Multiple Streams Approach to Tobacco Control Policymaking in a Tobacco-Growing State. J Community Health. 2014; 39(4): 633-645. doi: 10.1007/s10900-013-9814-6.
28. Veeranki SP, Mamudu HM, Anderson JL, Zheng S. Worldwide never-smoking youth susceptibility to smoking. J Adolesc Health. 2014; 54(2): 144-150. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2013.07.036
29. Mamudu HM, Veeranki SP. Tennessees smokefree policy: Its time for local control. Tenn Med. 2013; 106(9): 37-41.
30. Mamudu HM, John RM, Veeranki SP, Ouma AE. The odd man out in Sub-Saharan Africa: Understanding the tobacco use behavior in Madagascar. BMC Public Health. 2013; 13: 856. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-13-856
31. Mamudu HM, Veeranki SP, John RM. Tobacco use among school-going children (11-17 years) in Ghana. Nicotine Tob Res. 2013; 15(8): 1355-1364. doi: 10.1093/ntr/nts269
32. Veeranki SP, Mamudu HM, He Y. Tobacco use and impact of tobacco-free policy on university employees in an environment of high tobacco use and production. Environ Health Prev Med. 2013; 18(2): 110-120. doi: 10.1007/s12199-012-0297-3
33. Kalakoti P, Syed MMA, Thacker P, Veeranki SP. International Journal of Students Research: making strides forward. Int J Stud Res. 2012; 2(1): 1-2.
34. Mamudu HM, Veeranki SP, He Y, Dadkar S, Boone E. University personnels attitudes and behaviors toward the first tobacco-free campus policy in Tennessee. J Community Health. 2012; 37(4): 855-864. doi: 10.1007/s10900-011-9520-1
35. Veeranki SP. Insufficient details hamper generalization of study results on risks during pregnancy among teenagers in South West Nigeria. International Journal of Collaborative Research on Internal Medicine & Public Health. 2012; 4(2): 100-101.
36. Duraiswamy V, Balasubramaniam G, Subbiah S, Veeranki SP. Role of yoga in the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int J Stud Res. 2011; 1(3): 80-84.
37. Veeranki SP, Brooks B, Bolick S, Robichaux M, Aldrich T. Quality of care: The role of disease registries. J Registry Manag. 2010; 37(4): 133-136.