Suresh K. Mohankumar, M.Pharm, PhD, RPh
Department of Biomedical Sciences
University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus
Room B1B16, Block B
Jalan Broga, Semenyih 43500
Selangor Darul Ehsan
r. Kumar is a Research Scientist trained in Metabolic Physiology and Pharmacology. He took pharmacy as his major curriculum and completed M.Pharm (India) and PhD (Australia). He then underwent research extensive Post-doctoral trainings at the University of Manitoba, Canada.
Dr. Kumar has authored number of high impact research articles and presentations. Recently, he received Top New Investigator Award from the International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids for his excellence in Fatty acids and Glucose transport research. He aspires to excel in the fields of Metabolic physiology, Pre-clinical/clinical pharmacology education and develop a research program for target-based molecules that combat metabolic syndrome.
His research interests include: Molecular mechanism based drug discovery, In vitro and In vivo models of diabesity Pre-clinical/clinical pharmacology of pharma/nutra/dietary molecules, Molecular physiology/pharmacology and chemistry of natural products, nutraceuticals and functional foods; identify the leads and sensitize the known leads with respect to therapeutical targets and Metabolomics and pharmacogenomics.
AWARDS, FELLOWSHIPS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
• Top New Investigator Award: ISSFAL, Vancouver, Canada (06/2012)
• Recognition of Achievement: NSERC, CREATE/FAST, Canada (08/2012)
• PDF: NSERC, CREATE/FAST, Canada (2010-2012)
• PDF: HNS, University of Manitoba, Canada (2008-2012)
• UNERA-India: University of New England, Australia (2004-2007)
• IDF-Travel grant: International Diabetes Federation (06/2006)
• ADS-Student Travel grant: Australian Diabetes Society (08/2006)
1. Blewett HJ, Mohankumar SK, Rech R, Rector ES, Taylor CG. The reduced proportion of new splenic T-cells in the zinc-deficient growing rat is not due to increased susceptibility to apoptosis. Immunobiology. 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.imbio.2014.03.001
2. Hanke D, Zahradka P, Mohankumar SK, Clark JL, Taylor CG. A diet high in alpha-linolenic acid and monounsaturated fatty acids attenuates hepatic steatosis and alters hepatic phospholipid fatty acid profile in diet-induced obese rats. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2013; 89(6): 391-401. doi: 10.1016/j.plefa.2013.09.009
3. Mohankumar SK, Taylor CG, Siemens L, Zahradka P. Activation of phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase, AMP-activated kinase and Akt substrate-160 kDa by trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid mediates skeletal muscle glucose uptake. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 2013; 24(2): 445-456. doi: 10.1016/j.jnutbio.2012.01.006
4. Mohankumar SK, Hanke D, Siemens L, et al. Dietary supplementation of trans-11-vaccenic acid reduces adipocyte size but neither aggravates nor attenuates obesity-mediated metabolic abnormalities in fa/fa Zucker rats. Brit J Nutr. 2013; 109(9): 1628-1636. doi: 10.1017/S000711451200339X
5. Mohankumar SK, Taylor CG, Zahradka P. Domain-dependent modulation of insulin-induced AS160 phosphorylation and glucose uptake by Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II in L6 myotubes. Cellular signalling. 2012; 24(1): 302-308. doi: 10.1016/j.cellsig.2011.09.014
6. Mohankumar SK, O Shea T, Mcfarlane JR. Insulinotrophic and insulin-like effects of a high molecular weight aqueous extract of Pterocarpus marsupium Roxb. hardwood. Journal of ethnopharmacology. 2012; 141(1): 72-79. doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2012.02.002
7. Mohankumar SK, Taylor CG, Siemens L, Zahradka P. Acute exposure of L6 myotubes to cis-9, trans-11 and trans-10, cis-12 conjugated linoleic acid isomers stimulates glucose uptake by modulating Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II. Int J Biochem Cell B. 2012; 44(8): 1321-1330. doi: 10.1016/j.biocel.2012.05.005
8. Louis XL, Thandapilly SJ, Mohankumar SK, et al. Treatment with low-dose resveratrol reverses cardiac impairment in obese prone but not in obese resistant rats. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 2012; 23(9): 1163-1169. doi: 10.1016/j.jnutbio.2011.06.010
9. Mohankumar S, Mcfarlane JR. An aqueous extract of Curcuma longa (turmeric) rhizomes stimulates insulin release and mimics insulin action on tissues involved in glucose homeostasis in vitro. Phytotherapy research: PTR. 2011; 25(3): 396-401. doi: 10.1002/ptr.3275
10. Mohankumar SK, Taylor C, Siemens L, Zahradka P. An intrinsic role of CaMKII alpha in insulin-induced glucose uptake by L6 myotubes. Faseb J. 2011; 25.
11. Mohankumar SK, Zahradka P, Taylor C. Does conjugated linoleic acid boost or battle metabolic syndrome? Clin Lipidol. 2011; 6(5): 501-505.
12. Mohankumar SK, Taylor C, Zahradka P. Acute Exposure of Skeletal Muscle Cells to cis-9, trans-11 and trans-10, cis-12 Isomers of Conjugated Linoleic Acid Induces Plasma Membrane Translocation of IGF-IR (alpha/beta) Concomitantly with GLUT4. Diabetes. 2010; 59: A366-A366.
13. Dhanabal SP, Sureshkumar M, Ramanathan M, Suresh B. Hypoglycemic effect of ethanolic extract of Musa sapientum on alloxan induced diabetes mellitus in rats and its relation with antioxidant potential. Journal of herbal pharmacotherapy. 2005; 5(2): 7-19. doi: 10.1080/J157v05n02_02