Subho Roy, PhD
Department of Anthropology
University of Calcutta
35 Ballygunge Circular Road
West Bengal, India
• (2000-2004) Assistant Professor in Anthropology, University of Allahabad
• (2004-2009) Assistant Professor in Anthropology, University of Calcutta
• (2009- 2012) Reader in Anthropology, University of Calcutta
• (2015 onward) Professor in Anthropology, University of Calcutta
• Reproductive and sexual health
• family planning and decision making
• adolescent reproductive health
• menopausal health and risk factors
• menstrual health
• Anthropological Demography
• Biocultural perspective of breastfeeding
• Body cognition, food habit, nutrition
HONOURS AND AWARDS
• (1992) Received Junior Research Fellowship (UGC) award in Anthropology.
• (2005) Received an award as an Subject Expert for the best programme in Life Science category in the 18th UGC-CEC Educational Video Competition.
• (February 17-22, 2014) Visiting Fellow (UGC) in the Department of Anthropology, Sambalpur University, Odisha India.
• (January-March, 2012) Visiting Associate Professor’ by the Department of Anthropology, Vidyasagar University under UGC Merged Scheme, Medinipur, West Bengal, India
• (March 10-12, 2011) Visiting Fellow, DRS I (UGC, SAP programme), Department of Anthropology, Ranchi University, Ranchi, Jharkhand, India
• (April, 2014) Visiting Fellow (UGC) in the Department of Anthropology, Vidyasagar University, Medinipur, West Bengal, India
• (March 16-19, 2015) Visiting Fellow (UGC) in the Department of Anthropology, S.V. University, Tirupati Andhra Pradesh
1. Ghosh AK, Ray S. Process of microlithism: A study on stone age materials in and around Orissa. Manav. 1990; 4: 92-99.
2. Ray S. Variation in selection intensity between two social groups living in a squatter settlement in Calcutta. J Indian Anthropol Soc. 1995; 30: 283-285.
3. Ray S, Basak S, Mitra P. Prevalence of intestinal parasitic infestations among two squatter settlement 28 populations of Calcutta. Journal of Human Ecology. 1997; 8: 463-466.
4. Ray S, Basak S, Mitra PK. Health status of squatter children of two social groups. J Indian Anthropol Soc. 1997; 32: 277-284.
5. Ray S, Basak S, Mitra PK, Bharati P. Health profile of two social groups living in a squatter settlement in Calcutta. Collegium Antropologicum. 1998; 22: 247-256.
6. Ray S. Family planning practices, fertility and mortality in two social groups inhabiting a squatter settlement in Calcutta. Soc Biol Hum Aff. 1998; 62: 12-23.
7. Ray S. Health-seeking behaviour of two squatter groups of Calcutta city: A “case study” approach. Journal of Social Sciences. 1998; 2: 273-279.
8. Ray S. Living condition and health of two social groups inhabiting a squatter settlement in Calcutta, India. Int J Anthropol. 2002; 1: 209-224.
9. Mukhopadhyay S, Ray S, Ghosh S, Mukhopadhyay B, Bhatia J. Obstetric morbidity and socio-demographic factors in rural West Bengal, India. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2001; 7: 41-52.
10. Ray S. Rural-urban migration: a study of a squatter settlement in Calcutta. Journal of Indian Anthropological Society. 2002; 38(1): 55-60.
11. Ray S. Growth pattern of children of two social groups: A one-year longitudinal study. J Hum Ecol. 2004; 15(1): 31-39.
12. Mukhopadhyay S, Ray S. A qualitative study of mother’s attitudes towards maternal morbidity in rural West Bengal, India. Indian J Gend Stud. 2005; 11(3): 369-387.
13. Dalal AK, Ray S. Social dimensions of health and well-being: An overview of research trends. In A.K. Dalal and Ray S. (Eds.), pp. 1-33. Social Dimensions of Health. New Delhi, India: Rawat Publications; 2005.
14. Ray S. Why male reproductive health? In Ranjana Ray (Ed.), pp. 1-10 Adapting to Changing Environment: Studies in Anthropology. Calcutta, India: Calcutta University Press; 2005.
15. Surupa D, Ray S. 2006; Menstrual Health Problems and Hygienic Practices among the Adolescent Girls of Rural and Periurban Areas of West Bengal. J Family 29 Welfare. 2006; 52(2): 73-85.
16. Das, Bubon Mohan, Ray S. Adolescent male reproductive health: an exploratory study on awareness and behaviour between periurban and rural boys of West Bengal. India International J Men’s Health. 2007; 6(2): 79-99.
17. Dasgupta Amrita and Ray S. Menstrual Health Problems of Married Women in Kolkata: A Study on Two Contrasting Socioeconomic Groups. J Department of Anthropology. 2006; 10(11):10-18.
18. Sanyal S, Ray S. Variation in the menstrual characteristics in adolescents of West Bengal. Singapore Medical J. 2008; 49: 542-550.
19. Basu Kaberi, Das Shatabdi, Ray S. Menstruation: A study on menstrual disorders and hygienic practices of adolescent girls of two contrasting socioeconomic groups of West Bengal, India. Indian J Phys Anthropol Hum Genet. 2008; 1(2): 39-53.
20. Bhattacharaya, Nandini and Ray S. Does Differential Working Status of Woman Shape Family Planning Practices? J Indian Anthropological Society. 2009; 44: 115-128.
21. Bhattacharaya, Nandini and Ray S. Induced abortion: A study on the slum dwellers of Kolkata. Eastern Anthropologist. 2009; 62: 175-190.
22. Das, Debdutta, Ray S. Variation in menstrual characters: A study between married and unmarried women of West Bengal Collegium Antropologicum. 2010; 34: 989-994.
23. Dasgupta, Doyel, Ray S. Menopausal Problem: A study on the rural and urban women of Eastern India. J Social Behavioural and Health Sciences. 2009; 3: 20-43.
24. Ray S. Menopause: An Overview of Research Trends. J Social Research. 2009; 35: 77-94.
25. Rakshit, Indu and Ray S. ubha. Menopause: A Study on the Working and Nonworking Women of Urban West Bengal. Oriental Anthropologists. 2009; 9: 75-98.
26. Ray S. ubha, Mishra Shailendra, Ghosh Ray, Abhishikta, Das Bhubon Mohan. Menstrual Health: A Study on the Adolescents of Rural and Urban West Bengal. Ann Hum Biol. 2010; 16: 59-25.
27. Das Krishnendu, Basak SK, Ray S. A Study on Superficial Fungal Infection from West Bengal: A Brief Report. J Life Sciences. 2009; 1: 51-55.
28. Ray S. Is menopause a health risk for Bengali women? Open Anthropol J. 2010; 3: 161-167.
29. Nivedita Som, Doyel Dasgupta, Ray S. Menopause: A Study on the peri and postmenopausal women of urban West Bengal. Indian J Biological Sciences. 2010; 15: 29-37.
30. Ray S. ubha, Bhubon Mohan Das and Shailendra Mishra. Sexual and reproductive health issues among rural and urban adolescent boys of eastern India. J Men’s Health. 2012; 9(2): 94-101.
31. Bhattacharya Nandini, Sreemoyee Sengupta, Ray S. Family planning practices and decision making ability among the Hindus and Muslims of West Bengal. In Sarthak Sengupta (ed.), Issues and Themes in Contemporary Anthropological Studies. New Delhi, India: Gyan Publishing; 2012: 149- 163.
32. Nivedita S, Ray S. Menopause specific quality of life of urban women of West Bengal. Menopause International. 2012; 18(2): 99-105.
33. Ray S. Anthropology Today: Addressing the Need of the Hour. Eastern Anthropologist. 2012; 65: 289-304.
34. Som N, Ghosh P, Ray S. Association of menopause-specific quality of life with socio demographic and reproductive characteristics: A study on postmenopausal women of urban West Bengal, India. In: Becky Sigmon and S.L. Malik (eds.). Human Ecology and Challenges in the 21st Century, special issue of Indian Journal of Physical Anthropology and Human Genetics. 2012; 31: 327-345.
35. Deepanjana B, Dasgupta D, Ray S. Attitude towards menopause and aging: A study on natural and surgical menopausal women of West Bengal. J Indian Anthropological Society. 2012; 47: 323-330.
36. Doyel D, Ray S. Attitude towards menopause and aging: A study of postmenopausal women of West Bengal. Journal of Women and Aging. 2013; 25: 66-79.
37. Ubha RS, Das BM, Malakar B, Mishra S. Biocultural perspective of reproductive 31 and sexual health with special reference to adolescent male. Asian Man. 2013; 1(2): 14-28.
38. Mitra S, Ray S. Dimensions of Breastfeeding: A Review. Indian J Anthropology. 2013; 1: 103- 134.
39. Muherjee A, Msihra S, Ray S. Cigarette smoking and its concomitants: A study among the young adults of Kolkata, India. The Oriental Anthropologists. 2013; 13: 89-98.
40. Mallick N, Ray S, Mukhopadhyay S. Eating behaviours, body weight concerns and nutritional status among adolescent girls Advances in Public Health. 2014.