Steven M. Schwartz, PhD
Chief Science Officer, Health of Clinical Delivery Design
12431 Howland Park Drive
Plymouth, MI 48178, USA
30-years of experience as a Clinical Psychologist, Behavioral Scientist, Business Executive and Clinical Researcher with long and diverse history in healthcare delivery and research in a range of applied settings including ambulatory, urgent/emergent care and in patient (including medical consultation). Skills also include personalized care, population health, behavioral economics, product development, specialty pharmacy and sales support among others. This also includes a range of settings ranging from Integrated Healthcare Systems, IRB, Clinical Ethics, Academic Medical Centers and Fortune 500 Pharmaceutical companies. A career and education that includes subject matter expertise in diverse healthcare settings and delivery.
• (1995) PhD, Virginia Commonwealth University
• (1985) MA, The College of William and Mary
• (1985) BA, Wayne State University
His research interests include: Population health, Clinical trials design, Behavior change, Integration of digital technology and treatment protocols, N-of-1 and program evaluation methodology, Chronic illness self-management and health services research.
• Sigma Xi
• Braffman-Schroeder Scholarship for outstanding graduate student interested in a research career.
• Methodological Issues in the Studies of Adherence Attendee-competitively nominated and chosen to attend this Center for Research in Chronic Disease/NIH sponsored workshop.
1. Wade JB, Price DD, Hamer RM, Schwart SM, Hart RP. An emotional component analysis of chronic pain. Pain. 1990; 40: 303-310. doi: 10.1016/0304-3959(90)91127-5
2. Morin CM, Culbert JP, Schwartz SM. Nonpharmacological interventions for insomnia: A meta-analysis of treatment efficacy. Am J Psychiatry. 1994; 151: 1172-1180. doi: 10.1176/ajp.151.8.1172
3. Schwartz SM, Gramling SE, Mancini T. The influence of life stress, personality and learning history on illness behavior. Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry. 1994; 25(2): 135-142. doi: 10.1016/0005-7916(94)90006-X
4. Hart RP, Levenson JL, Sessler CN, Best AM, Schwartz SM, Rutherford LE. Validation of a cognitive test for delirium in medical ICU patients. Psychosomatics. 1996; 37(6): 533-546. doi: 10.1016/S0033-3182(96)71517-7
5. Gramling SE, Grayson RL, Sullivan TN, Schwartz SM. Schedule induced EMG in facial pain patients versus no-pain controls. Physiol Behav. 1997; 61: 301309. doi: 10.1016/s0031-9384(96)00413-1
6. Schwartz SM, Gramling SE. Cognitive factors associated with facial pain. Cranio. 1997; 15: 261-266. doi: 10.1080/08869634.1997.11746019
7. Schwartz SM, Gramling SE, Kerr KL, Morin C. () The impact of intellect and deficit specific information on ability to fake memory deficits. International Journal of Law and Psychiatry. 1998; 21(3): 261-272.
8. Schwartz SM, Schmitt EP, Ketterer MW, Trask PC. Lipid levels and emotional distress among healthy male college students. Stress Medicine. 1999; 15: 159-165.
9. Schwartz SM, Trask PC, Ketterer MW. Understanding chest pain symptoms: What every psychologist should know. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings. 1999; 6: 333-351. doi: 10.1023/A:1026215730296
10. Brandwin M, Trask PC, Schwartz SM, Clifford M. Personality predictors of mortality in cardiac transplant candidates. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2000; 49: 141-147. doi: 10.1016/s0022-3999(00)00152-5
11. Schwartz SM, Gramling SE, Grayson, R. Stress induced oral behaviors and facial pain. International Journal of Stress Management. 2001; 8(1): 35-47. doi: 10.1023/A:1009501429467
12. Fontana RJ, Hussain KB, Schwartz SM, Moyer CA, Su G, Lok A. Psychiatric symptoms in chronic hepatitis C patients not receiving anti-viral therapy. J Hepatol. 2002; 36: 401-407.
13. Trask PC, Schwartz SM, Deaner SL, Paterson AG, Rubenfire M, Johnson T, et al. Behavioral medicine: The challenge of integrating psychological and behavioral approaches into primary care. Effective Clinical Practice. 2002; 5: 75-83.
14. Fontana R, Schwartz SM, Achemyeleh, Gebremariam, Lok, A.F., & Moyer, C.A. A prospective study of emotional distress during Interferon-a2b and ribavirin treatment of chronic hepatitis C. Psychosomatics. 2002; 43: 378-385.
15. Trask PC, Bares CB, Schwartz SM. Cost-effectiveness considerations of treating emotional distress in melanoma patients. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings. 2002; 9: 193-199. doi: 10.1023/A:1016095126552
16. Moyer CA, Hussain K, Fontana R, Lok A, Schwartz S. The role of optimism/pessimism in health related quality of life in chronic hepatitis C patients. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings. 2003; 10: 41-49. doi: 10.1023/A:1022805813954
17. Schwartz SM, Janeck AS, Deaner SL. Fearful appraisals and behavioral responses of a patient with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator. Clinical Case Studies. 2004; 3(1): 70-82. doi: 10.1177/1534650103258977
18. Schwartz SM, Trask PC, Shanmugham K, Townsend C. Conducting psychological research in medical settings: Challenges, limitations & recommendations for effectiveness research. Professional Psychology, Research and Practice. 2004; 35(5): 500-508. doi: 10.1037/0735-7028.35.5.500
19. Foltz KD, Fallat LM, Schwartz S. Utility of a brief assessment battery for early detection of Charcot Foot Deformity in Diabetic patients. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2004; 43(2): 87-92. doi: 10.1053/j.jfas.2004.01.001
20. Harris J, Fallat L, Schwartz S. Characteristic trends of lower extremity complex regional pain syndrome. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2004; 43(5): 296-301. doi: 10.1053/j.jfas.2004.07.004
21. Aboufakher R, Riba R, Sandeep MJ, Goswami R, Schwartz S, Lins S, et al. Incidence, risk factors and prognosis of new-onset congestive heart failure after percutaneous coronary intervention-insight from the Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan Cardiovascular Consortium (BMC2). Am Heart J. 2005; 150(3): 455-458. doi: 10.1016/j.ahj.2004.12.011
22. Barraco D, Valencia G, Riba AL, Nareddy S, Draus C, Schwartz SM. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) use in patients admitted with Acute Coronary Syndromes. Complimentary Therapies in Medicine. 2005; 13: 34-40.
23. Allen BH, Fallat LM, Schwartz SM. Cryosurgery: An innovative technique for the treatment of plantar fasciitis. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2007; 46(2): 75-79. doi: 10.1053/j.jfas.2007.01.006
24. Krannitz KW, Fallat LM, Schwartz SM. Radiographic healing of conservative versus operative management of supination-external rotation II fractures in a smoking and premature weight-bearing population. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2007; 46(4): 218-222. doi: 10.1053/j.jfas.2007.02.002
25. Artinian N, Abrams J, Keteyian S, Franks M, Franklin B, Pienta A, et al. Correlates of depression at baseline among African Americans Enrolled in Cardiac Rehabilitation. J Cardiopulm Rehabil Prev. 2009; 29(1): 24-31. doi: 10.1097/HCR.0b013e31819276dd
26. Stacy J, Schwartz S, Ershoff D, Shreve M. Incorporating tailored interactive patient solutions using interactive voice response technology to improve statin adherence: Results of a randomized clinical trial in a managed care setting. Popul Health Manag. 2009; 12(5): 241-254. doi: 10.1089/pop.2008.0046
27. Schwartz SM, Ireland C, Strecher V, Nakao D, Wang C, Juarez D. The economic value and risk modification of a real world wellness and disease prevention program. Popul Health Manag. 2010; 13: 309-317. doi: 10.1089/pop.2009.0070
28. Schwartz SM, Riedel J. Productivity and health: Best practices for better productivity measurement. J Occup Environ Med. 2010; 52(9): 865-871. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0b013e3181ed8686
29. Schwartz, S.M., Day, B., Wildenhaus, K., Silberman, Wang, C. Silberman, J. The impact of an online disease management program on medical costs among health plan members. Am J Health Promot. 2010; 25(2): 126-133. doi: 10.4278/ajhp.091201-QUAL-377
30. Giuseffi DL, Bedrosian R, Schwartz SM, Wildenhaus K, Wang C, Yu A, et al. Women using a web-based digital health coaching program for stress management: Stress sources, symptoms, and coping strategies. Stress and Health. 2011; 27(3): e269-e281. doi: 10.1002/smi.1389
31. Lenneman JK, Schwartz SM, Guiseffi D, Wang C. Productivity and health: An application of three approaches to measuring productivity. J Occup Environ Med. 2011; 53(1): 55-61. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0b013e3182029110
32. Striegel-Moore RH, Bedrosian R, Wang C, Schwartz S. Why men should be included in research on binge eating: Results from a comparison of psychosocial impairment in men and women. Int J Eat Disord. 2011; 45(2): 233-240. doi: 10.1002/eat.20962
33. Silberman J, Schwartz S, Giuseffi D, Wang C, Nevedal D, Bedrosian R. Reductions in employee productivity impairment observed after implementation of web-based, worksite health promotion programs. J Occup Environ Med. 2011; 53(12): 1404-1412. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0b013e3182337726
34. Bedrosian R, Striegel-Moore RH, Wang C, Schwartz S. Association of binge eating with work productivity impairment, adjusted for other health-risk factors. J Occup Environ Med. 2012; 54(4): 385-393. doi: 10.1097/JOM.0b013e3182479f40
35. Schwartz SM, Mason S, Wang C, Pomana L, Hyde-Nolan ME, Carter E. Sustained economic value of a wellness and disease prevention program: An 8-year longitudinal evaluation. Popul Health Manag. 2013; 17(2): 90-99. doi: 10.1089/pop.2013.0042
36. Nevedal D, Wang C, Oberleitner L, Schwartz SM, Williams AM. Effects of an individually tailored, web-based chronic pain management program on pain severity, psychological health, and functioning. J Med Internet Res. 2013; 15(9): e201. doi: 102196/jmir.2296
37. Silberman J, Wang C, Mason ST, Schwartz SM, Hall M, Morrissette JL, et al. The avalanche hypothesis and compression of morbidity: Testing assumptions through cohort-sequential analysis. PLoS One. 2014; 10(5): e0123910. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone0123910
38. Schwartz SM, Wildenhaus KW, Bucher A, Byrd B. Digital twins and the emerging science of self: Implications for digital health experience design and small data. Frontiers inn Computer Science. 2020; 2(31). doi: 10.3389/comp.2020.00031.
39. Schwartz SM, Byrd B, Dempster H, Payne T. The promise of small data for telemedicine in chronic condition management: A real-world case series. Clin Trial Pract Open J. 2020; 1(1): 74-82. doi: 10.17140/CTPOJ-1-117.