Solomon Ike Okosun, MS, MPH, PhD, FRSPH, FTOS, FACE
Director (Chair), Division of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
School of Public Health, Georgia State University
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Director and CEO
Okoson Epidemiological and Statistical Consulting, LLC
Macon, GA 30213, USA
Dr. Okosun is currently an Associate Professor for the School of Public Health at Georgia State University (GSU). He received his doctorate from The University of Pittsburgh, Graduate School of Public Health and has over 25 years of experience in public health. Dr. Okosun is trained in chronic disease epidemiology and biostatistical methods.
His research interest includes: Chronic Diseases Epidemiology, Epidemiology of Metabolic Syndrome, Epidemiology of Chronic Diseases in Populations of African Origin, Immigrant Health, Data Management and Analyses & Secondary Data Analysis.
HONORS AND AWARDS
• (1982-1983) American National Science Foundation Fellowship
• (1995-1996) University of Pittsburgh Provost Graduate Award
• (1989-1990) American Public Health Traineeship
• (2001) Whos Who in Science and Engineering
• (2002) Whos Who in America
• (2003) Georgia Rural Association Researcher of the Year
• (2005 ) Whos Who in the World
• (2007) Certificate of Appreciation, Vivien Thomas Summer Research Program Morehouse School of Medicine
• (2009) Certificate of Appreciation, Alliance of Nigerian Organizations, GA
• Fellow of the Obesity Society and the American College of Epidemiology
• American Public Health Association
• Society for Epidemiologic Research
• North American Association for the study of Obesity
• International Society for the Study of Hypertension in Blacks
• the American College of Epidemiology
1. Okosun IS, Rotimi CN, Cooper RS, Forrester TE, Osotimehin BO. Association of Waist Circumference with Hypertension and Type 2 Diabetes in Nigerians, Jamaicans, and African-Americans. Diabetes Care 1998; 21:1836-1842.
2. Rotimi C, Cooper R, Okosun I, et al. Prevalence of Diabetes and Impaired Glucose Tolerance in Nigerian, Jamaican and US Blacks. Ethnicity and Disease 1999; 9:190-200.
3. Okosun I S , Peterson KS. Using Nutritional Anthropometry to Determine the Prevalence of Malnutrition in Infants/Children. International Journal of Pediatrics 1999; 45:56-57.
4. Okosun IS, Prewitt TE, LaoY, Cooper RS. Association of Waist Circumference with ApoB to ApoAI ratio in Black and White Americans. International Journal of Obesity. 1999;23:498-504.
5. Okosun IS, Cooper RS, Prewitt TE, Rotimi, CN. The Relations of Central Adiposity to Components of the Insulin Resistance Syndrome in a Biracial Population Sample. Ethnicity and Diseases. 1999; 9:218-229.
6. Okosun IS, Prewitt TE, Cooper RS. Abdominal Obesity the United States: Prevalence and Attributable Risk of Hypertension. Journal of Human Hypertension. 1999;13:425-430.
7. Okosun IS, Forrester TE, Rotimi CN, Osotimehin BO, Cooper RS. Abdominal Obesity in Six Populations of West African Descent. Prevalence and Population Attributable Fraction of Hypertension. Journal of Obesity Research. 1999; 7: 453-462.
8. Okosun IS, Rotimi, CN, Forrester TE, et al. Predictive Value of Abdominal Obesity cut-off points for Hypertension in Blacks from West African and Caribbean Island Nations. International Journal of Obesity. 1999;24:180-186.
9. Rotimi C, Okosun I, Johnson T, et al. The Distribution of Chronic Energy Deficiency Among Adult Nigerian men and Women. EuropeanJournal of Nutrition. 1999;53:734-739.
10. Okosun IS, Liao Y, Rotimi CN, Dever GEA, Cooper RS. Impact of birth weight on Ethnic Variations in Subcutaneous and Central Adiposity in American Infants and Children ages 5-11 years. A Study from Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. International Journal of Obesity. 2000; 24: 479-484.
11. Okosun IS, Lioa Y, Choi S, Rotimi CN, Cooper RS. Predictive values of Waist Circumference for Dyslipidemia, Type 2 Diabetes and Hypertension in Overweight White, Black and Hispanic American Adults. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2000; 53: 401-408.
12. Okosun IS, Halbach SM, Cooper RS. Ethnic Differences in the Rates of Low Birth Weight Attributable to Differences in Maternal age: A Study from Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of Perinatology. 2000; 2:105-109.
13. Okosun IS, Liao Y, Rotimi CN, Prewitt TE, Cooper RS. Abdominal Adiposity and Clustering of Multiple Metabolic Syndrome in White, Black and Hispanic Americans. Annals of Epidemiology. 2000; 10: 263-270.
14. Okosun IS, Tedders SH, Choi S, Dever A. Abdominal adiposity values associated with established body mass indexes in White, Black and Hispanic Americans: A study from Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. International Journal of Obesity. 2000, 24:1279-1285.
15. Okosun IS. Ethnic Differences in Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Attributable to Differences in Abdominal Adiposity in American Women. Journal of Cardiovascular Risk. 2000,7: 425-430.
16. Okosun IS, Dinesh KMD, Choi S, Christman J, Dever GEA, Prewitt TE.Hypertension and Type 2 Diabetes Comorbidity in Adults in the United States: Risk of Overall and Regional Adiposity. Obesity Research. 2001;9:1-9.
17. Okosun IS. Racial Differences in Rates of Type 2 Diabetes in American Women. HowMuch is Due to Differences in Overall Adiposity?. Ethnicity and Health,. 2001; 6: 27-34.
18. Okosun IS, Choi S, Matamoros, TM, Dever GEA. Obesity is associated with reduced self-rated general health status: Evidence from a representative sample of White, Black and Hispanic Americans. Journal of Preventive Medicine,. 2001;32, 429-436.
19. Okosun IS, Choi S, Hash R, Dever, GEA. Apolipoprotein B, Ratio of Total Cholesterol to HDL-C, and Blood Pressure in Abdominally Obese White and Black American Women. Journal Human Hypertension. 2001;16: 299- 305.
20. Okosun IS, Choi S, Dent MM, Jobin, T, Dever, GEA. Abdominal obesity defined as a larger than expected waist girth is associated with racial/ethnic differences in risk of hypertension. Journal Human Hypertension. 2001;16:307-312.
21. Okosun IS, Dever, GEA. Verbal Autopsy: A necessary solution for the paucity of mortality data in the less-developed countries. Ethnicity and Disease. 2001; 11:575-77.
22. Okosun IS, Prewitt TE, Chandra KMD. Serum level of carotenoids and clustering of adverse health behaviors in American adults. American Journal of Behavior. 2002; 26:145-158.
23. Okosun IS, Dever GEA, Choi S. Birth weight is linked with elevated plasma lipoprotein(a) in White and African American children ages 5-11 years. Public Health. 2002;116:33-38.
24. Jones JT, Selmonosky CA, Okosun IS. Nail biting: A reliable sign of depression and tobacco abuse in men. Georgia Academy of Family Physicians. 2000.
25. Okosun IS, Dever GEA. Abdominal obesity and ethnic differences in diabetes awareness, treatment, and glycemic control. Obesity Research. 2002; 10:1241-1250.
26. Okosun IS, Glodener M, Dever, GEA. Diagnosed diabetes and ethnic disparities in adverse health behaviors of American women. Journal of National Medical Association 2003;95:523-532.
. 27. Okosun IS. Prevalence and Trends of Abdominal Adiposity in White, Black and Hispanic American Adults, 1988 to 2000. Obesity Research. 2003 11: 1010-1017.
28. Okosun IS, Chandra KMD, Boev A, Boltri JM, Choi ST, Parish DC, Dever GEA. Abdominal obesity in US adults: Prevalence and trends 1960-2000. Preventive Medicine. 2004;39:197-206.
29. Dent MM, Boltri J, Okosun IS. Do volunteer community-based preceptors value students feedback?. Academic Medicine. 2004;79:1103-1107.
30. Okosun IS, Boltri JM, Anochie LK, Chandra KM. Racial/ethnic differences in prehypertension in American adults: Population and relative attributable risks of abdominal obesity. Journal of HumanHypertension. 2004; 18, 849-855.
31. Okosun IS, Seale JP, Daniel JB, Eriksen MP. Poor health is associated with episodic heavy alcohol use: evidence from a National Survey. Public Health. 2005;119:509-517.
32. Ashwath ML, Okosun IS, Sogade FO. QRS width and its impact on inducibility of ventricular arrhythmia at the time of electrophysiology study. Journal National Medical Association. 2005;97:695-698.
33. Boltri JM, Okosun IS, Davis-Smith M, Vogel RL. Hemoglobin A1c levels in diagnosed and undiagnosed black, Hispanic, and white persons with diabetes: results from NHANES 1999-2000. Ethnicity & Disease. 2005;15:562-567.
34. Seale JP, Shellenberger S, Boltri JM, Okosun IS, Barton B. Effects of screening and brief intervention training on resident and faculty alcohol intervention behaviours: a pre- post-intervention assessment. BMC Family Practice. 2005 Nov 4;6:46.
35. Boev AN, Fountas KN, Karampelas I, et al. Quantitative pupillometry: normative data in healthy pediatric volunteers. Journal of Neurosurgery. 2005;103(6 Suppl):496-500.
36. Seale JP Okosun IS, Boltri J, Smith MD. Ethnic & Gender Differences in Lifestyle Risk Factors in a Southeastern Urban Sample: Prevalence and Clinical Implications. Ethnicity & Disease. 2006;16:460-467.
37. Okosun IS, Boltri JM, Hepburn V, Eriksen MP. Trends in abdominal obesity in young people: United States 1988-2002. Ethnicity & Disease. 2006;16:338-344.
38. Okosun IS, Boltri JM, Hepburn V, Eriksen MP, Smith M. Regional fat localizations and racial/ethnic variations in odds of hypertension in at-risk American adults. Journal Human Hypertension. 2006;20:362-371.
39. Seale JP, Boltri JM, Shellenberger S, Velasquez MM, Cornelius M,Guyinn M, Okosun I, Sumner H. Primary care validation of a single screening question for drinkers. Journal of Studies on Alcohol andDrugs. 2006;67:778-784.
40. Boltri JM, Okosun I, Davis-Smith YM, Seale JP, Roman P, Tobin BW.A simple nurse- based prompt increases screening and prevention counselling for diabetes. Diabetes Research in Clinical Practice. 2007;75:81-87. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2006.05.002
41. Boltri JM, Seale JP, Okosun IS, Ouzts A, Cornelius M, Davis-Smith M. The effects of a patient-based risk assessment prompt on diabetes screening. Diabetes Research in Clinical Practice. 2007;78:102-107. 42. Boltri JM, Davis-Smith YM, Seale JP, Shellenberger S, Okosun IS, Cornelius ME. Diabetes prevention in a faith-based setting: results of translational research. Journal of Public Health Management Practice. 2008;14:29-32.
43. Seale JP, Guyinn MR, Matthews M, Okosun I, Dent MM. Vital signs screening for alcohol misuse in a rural primary care clinic: a feasibility study. Journal of Rural Health. 2008;24:133-5. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-0361.2008.00149.x
44. Gregory AC 2nd, Shendell DG, Okosun IS, Gieseker KE. Multiple Sclerosis disease distribution and potential impact of environmental air pollutants in Georgia. Science of Total Environment. 2008; 396: 42-51. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2008.01.065
45. Okosun IS, Bhatt DV, Boltri JM, Ndirangu M. Self-reported and measured height and weight: impact on racial/ethnic differences in hypertension. Ethnicity & Disease. 2008;18:415-20.
46. Okosun IS. Metabolic syndrome and C-reactive protein in American adults: the impact of abdominal obesity. Metabolic Syndrome and Related Disorders. 2008; 6: 289-97. doi: 10.1089/met.2008.0040
47. Okosun IS, Boltri JM. Abdominal obesity, hypertriglyceridemia, hypertriglyceridemic waist phenotype and risk of type 2 diabetes in American adults. Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research & Reviews. 2008, 2: 273-281. doi: 10.1016/j.dsx.2008.04.003
48. Egwuogu H, Shendell DG, Okosun IS, Goodfellow L. The effect of urinary cadmium on cardiovascular fitness as measured by VO(2) max in white, black and Mexican Americans. Environmental Research. 2009 109:292- 300. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2008.11.010.
49. Okosun IS, Boltri JM, Davis-Smith M, Ndirangu M. Premetabolic syndrome and clustering of cardiometabolic risk factors in White, Black and Mexican American adults. Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome: Clinical Research and Reviews. 2009, 3:143-148. doi: 10.1016/j.dsx.2009.07.006
50. Seale JP, Shellenberger S, Velasquez MM, et al. Impact of vital signs screening & clinician prompting on alcohol and tobacco screening and intervention rates: a pre-post intervention comparison. BMC Family Practice. 2010;11:18. doi: 10.1186/1471-2296-11-18
51. Seale JP, Shellenberger S, Sanchez N, et al. Characteristics of Problem Drinking in an Urban South American Indigenous Population. Substance Use and Misuse. 2010. doi: 10.3109/10826081003682891
52. Okosun IS, Boltri JM, Lyn R, Davis-Smith M. Continuous metabolic syndrome risk score, body mass index percentile, and leisure time physical activity in American children. Journal of Clinical Hypertension. 2010;12:636-44. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-7176.2010.00338.x
53. Okosun IS, Lyn R, Davis-Smith M, Eriksen M, Seale P. Validity of a continuous metabolic risk score as an index for modeling metabolic syndrome in adolescents. Annals of Epidemiology. 2010; 20: 843-51. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2010.08.001
54. Okosun IS, Lyn R. Prediabetes awareness, healthcare providers advice,and lifestyle changes and in American Adults. International Journal ofDiabetes Mellitus. 2010; doi: 10.1016/j.ijdm.2010.12.001
55. Boltri JM, Davis-Smith M, Okosun IS, Seale JP, Foster B. Translation of the National Institutes of Health Diabetes Prevention Program in African American Churches. Journal of National Medical Association. 2011; 103: 194-202.
56. Okosun IS, Seale JP, Boltri JM, Davis-Smith M. Trends and Clustering of Cardiometabolic Risk Factors in American Adolescents from 1999 to 2008. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2012; 50:132-139. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2011.04.016
57. Okosun IS, Davis-Smith M, Seale JP. Awareness of diabetes risks is associated with healthy lifestyle behavior in diabetes free American adults: Evidence from a nationally representative sample. Primary Care Diabetes. 2012;6: 87-94. doi: 10.1016/j.pcd.2011.12.005.
58. Okosun IS. Seale JP, Davis-Smith M. Applicability of a Combination of Hemoglobin A1c and Fasting Plasma Glucose in Population-based Prediabetes Screening, Journal of Diabetes. 2012. doi: 10.1111/j.1753-0407.2012.00188.x
59. Okosun IS, Annor F, Esuneh F, Okoegwale EE. Metabolic syndrome and impaired health-related quality of life and in non-Hispanic White, non- Hispanic Blacks and Mexican-American Adults. Diabetes Metabolic Syndrome 2013;7:154-60. doi: 10.1016/j.dsx.2013.06.007
60. Okosun IS, Annor FB, Seale JP, Eriksen MP. Abdominal adiposity and family income- to-poverty ratio in American women. Obesity Research in Clinical Practice 2014;8:e201-98. doi: 10.1016/j.orcp.2012.12.002.
61. Okosun IS, Annor F, Dawodu EA, Eriksen MP. Clustering of cardiometabolic risk factors and risk of elevated HbA1c in non-Hispanic White, non-Hispanic Black and Mexican-American adults with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metabolic Syndrome 2014;8:75-81. doi: 10.1016/j.dsx.2014.04.026.
62. Lakkur S, Bostick RM, Roblin D, et al. Oxidative balance score and oxidative stress biomarkers in a study of Whites, African Americans, and African immigrants. Biomarkers 2014;19:471-80. doi: 10.3109/1354750X.2014.937361
63. Ido MS, Bayakly R, Frankel M, Lyn R, Okosun IS. Administrative data linkage to evaluate a quality improvement program in acute stroke care, Georgia, 2006-2009. Preventing Chronic Diseases 2015;12:E05. doi: 10.5888/pcd12.140238.
64. Annor FB, Roblin DW, Okosun IS, Goodman M. Work-related psychosocial stress and glycemic control among working adults with diabetes mellitus. Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome. doi: 10.1016/j.dsx.2015.02.003
65. Okosun IS, Seale JP, Lyn R. Commingling effect of gynoid and android fat patterns on cardiometabolic dysregulation in normal weight American adults. Nutrition & Diabetes 2015; 5: e155. doi: 10.1038/nutd.2015.5
66. Annor FB, Goodman M, Okosun IS, et al. Oxidative stress, oxidative balance score, and hypertension among a racially diverse population. Journal of American Society Hypertension. 2015. doi: 10.1016/j.jash.2015.05.014