Shiv Dutt Gupta, MD, PhD, FAMS
Prabhu Dayal Marg
Near Sanganer Airport
Jaipur 302 029, India
Dr. Gupta is a President of IIHMR University is a Public Health Professional with a distinguished academic and research career. He obtained his MD (Preventive & Social Medicine) from India, and PhD (Epidemiology) from Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA. He was conferred Fellowship of Academy of Medical Science, India (FAMS) on him for his outstanding contribution in the field of public health. He has done pioneering work of creating and establishing new discipline of health management, and promoting research in health policy and health systems and programmes. He is a fellow of Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine, and a long-term member of the International Epidemiological Association. He has published several research papers and reports. He has been associated in various capacities with several national and international research and academic organizations. He has chaired several scientific and other committees and worked as temporary advisor to WHO Scientific Working Group on Research Information Management. He has served as member of the Technical Review Panel of the Global Fund. Dr. Gupta is a recipient of the QIMPRO Gold Standard Award for Health Care 2009. He was also the Secretary General of WHOs South-East Asia Public Health Education Institutions Network (SEAPHEIN). He is President of the India Public Health Education Institutions Network (IndiaPHEIN).
His research interests include: Epidemiological and health services research/OR, Management of primary health care and Reproductive health, Health program evaluation and Quality of Care.
HONOURS AND AWARD
• (2011) FIPHA-Fellow-Indian Public Health Association
• (2004)FAMS-National Academy of Medical Science, New Delhi (India)
• (2009) QIMPRO Gold Standard Award-Leader for Quality in Health Care
• National Academy of Medical Sciences (India)
• Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine
• Indian Public Health Association
• International Epidemiological Association
• Member, National Task Force on HIV/AIDS Surveillance, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, GoI
• Member, Expert Group on HIV/AIDS Estimates, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, GoI
• Member, National Task Force on HIV/AIDS Behaviour Surveillance, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, GoI
• Advisory Member, Technical Resource Group, National AIDS Control Programme
• Member Secretary, Working Group on Planning of Health and Family Welfare Services, Ninth Five Year Plan, Government of Rajasthan
• Chairperson Sub-Committee on Operations Research in Reproductive Health, Ministry of Health, Government of India
• Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), New Delhi, India
• Member Project Advisory Committee; Member, Task Force on Reproductive & Child Health
• Member, Project Review Group (PRG) for Reproductive Health
• Member, Steering Committee for Research in RCH and Nutrition
• Member, Project Advisory Committee, Bhopal Gas Disaster Research Center, Bhopal, India
• Member, Project Advisory Committee, Population Council, south Asia Region
• Member, Special Task Force on Reproductive & Child Health, Government of Rajasthan (SIHFW)
• Member, Academic Committee, State Institute of Health Family Welfare, Rajasthan
• Member, Hospital Planning Sectional Committee, Bureau of Indian Standards, Government of India
• Member, Drug Resistance Committee
• Member, Population Resource Centre
• Member, Steering Committee, Universal Salt Iodization in India
• Member, Executive Committee, Population Foundation of India
• Member, UNICEF Task Force for Universal Immunization Program in Rajasthan
• Member Secretary, Expert Committee on Malaria, GoR
• Vice President, Society for Rational Drug Use
• Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Health Management (SAGE)
• Member, Editorial Board, Indian Journal of Geriatrics
• Member, Editorial Board, Current Medical Sciences
• Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Health & Population in Developing Countries
• Member, Editorial Advisory Board of Journal of Health and Population: Perspectives and Issues, NIHFW
• Member, Governing Board, Indian Institute of Health Management Research
• Member, Working Group on Population Policy, Drug Policy and HRD Policy in the State of Jharkhand
• Member, Working Group on Long Term Plan for Rajasthan, State Planning Board, Rajasthan
• Chairman, Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) of the Desert Medicine Research Centre, Jodhpur
• Member, Task Force for Rural Health Care Infrastructure/Delivery Systems, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, GoI
• Member, Governing Council, Indian Gerontological Association
• Core Group Member for the Post Graduate Diploma in Hospital & Health Management Programme conducted by the School of Health Sciences
• Life Member, World Lung Foundation
• Member, National Level Committee, National Mid-Day Meal Program, GoI
• Chairman Program Advisory Committee, NIHFW, New Delhi
• Chairman, Expert Group of HSR, ICMR, New Delhi
• Member, Board of Trustees of Bhoruka Charitable Trust
• Member, Board of Specialty in Hospital Administration, Medical Council of India
• Member of the State Innovation Council, Planning Board, Government of Rajasthan
1. Gupta SD, Sharma R, Chaturvedi SK. Arm/Head Ratio in Field assessment of PCM. Jour. Ind. Assoc. Prev. and Soc Med. 1978; 3: 2.
2. Gupta SD, Sharma R, Chaturvedi SK, Gupta R. Weight/Height Ratio in Assessment of PCM. Indian Jour Pediatr. 1979; 46: 337.
3. Gupta SD, Sharma R, Gupta OP, Joshi S. A study of feeding patterns in rural preschool children. Indian Jour Pediatr. 1979; 46: 232. doi: 10.1007/BF02790639
4. Gupta SD, Jain TP, Joshi S, Mangal DK. Infant mortality in Rajasthan villages. Indian Pediatr. 1981; 18: 2.
5. Gupta SD, Sharma R. Prevalence of skin disorders among rural preschool children. Archives of Child Health. 1981; 23: 2.
6. Gupta SD. Training of Dais. Medico Friends Circle Bulletin. 1979; 6.
7. Agarwal CM, Gupta SD, Jain TP, Joshi S. Age independent indices in assessment of PEM. Indian Pediatr. 1980; 17.
8. Chaturvedi SK, Sharma R, Chaudhari RC, Gupta SD, Dudani IU. Phased program for the involvement of Dais in MCH Services. Rajasthan Medical Journal. 1978; 17: 4.
9. Chaturvedi SK, Gupta SD. Socio demographic characteristics of tubectomy acceptors at Rural Health Training Center, Naila. Rajasthan Medical Journal. 1978; 17: 4.
10. Pokharna KL, Mangal DK, Gupta SD, Jain TP. Control of scabies Role of hospitals and community. Rajasthan Medical Journal. 1980; 17: 1.
11. Bhargava AK, Gupta SD. Nutritional Intervention Program among rural preschool children An evaluatory study. Indian Jour Pediatr. 1982; 49.
12. Gupta SD, Sharma R, Gupta R. Fertility patterns and foetal/child loss in Rural Indian Women. Jour Obst & Gynae India. 1982; 32: 6.
13. Gupta R, Sarkar B, Hazra DK, Gupta SD. Radio immunoassay of LH and FSH in infertile females. Jour Obst & Gynae India. 1982; 32: 2.
14. Gupta SD, Mangal DK. A study of Glycosuria in Rajasthan. Indian Jour of Diabetes. 1982.
15. Sharma R, Gupta SD. Evaluation strategies Evaluation of Comprehensive Health Care. Indian Journal of Medical Education. 1982; 22: 2.
16. Mangal DK, Joshi S, Bhargava A, Gupta SD. Priorities of immunization against measles in children. Indian Jour of Community Medicine. 1983; 8: 1.
17. Bhargava A, Mangal DK, Gupta SD. A profile of acceptors of Laproscopic Sterilization. Rajasthan Medical Journal. 1984; 23: 1.
18. Joshi S, Gupta SD, Jain TP. Prevalence of disability in rural areas. Rajasthan Medical Journal. 1984; 23: 2.
19. Joshi S, Mangal DK, Gupta SD, Agarwal CM. A study of defaulters of tuberculosis at Rural Drug Distribution Center. Rajasthan Medical Journal. 1983; 22: 2.
20. Gupta SD, Gupta R, Zafar A, Mangal DK, Sharma R. Control of anemia among pregnant women by iron supplementation. Indian Journal of Public Health. 1983; 27: 1.
21. Mangal DK, Gupta SD, Sharma LC. Obesity as predisposing factor to diabetes. Indian Journal of Public Health. 1983; 27: 3.
22. Haldiya KR, Mangal DK, Gupta SD, Sharma R.Percentile and normal distribution of Blood Pressure in population and determination of cut off points. Indian Journal of Public Health. 1984; 28: 1.
23. Haldiya KR, Gupta SD, Sharma R, Mangal DK. Prevalence of hypertension in urban community.Indian Jour. Community Medicine. 1983; 8: 3.
24. Bhargava A Gupta SD. Nutritional supplementation punctuating constraints in severely malnourished children. Indian Jour Pediatr. 1982; 50. doi:10.1007/BF02753436
25. Field Workers Disc Appropriate Health Technology for Health. Human Nutrition, News Letter. 1983; 2.
26. Sharma R, Gupta SD. Problems of Manpower development in Health Services Research. Indian Jour Med Educ. 1984.
27. Pokharna KL, Gupta SD. Motivation and Communication in family planning. Rajasthan Medical Journal. 1985; 26: 1.
28. Gupta SD, Sharma R, Zafar A, Mangal DK, Joshi S, Jain TP. Immunization Among Children:An Alternate Strategy. Indian Paediatrics. 1985; 22.
29. Gupta SD, Sharma A, Gupta R.Relation of Fertility with Foetal/Child loss among Rural Indian Women. Rajasthan Medical Journal. 1987; 26: 1.
30. Gupta SD. Prevalence and incidence of poliomyelitis in children in Jaipur city. Indian Journal of Community Medicine. 1990; 15.
31. Gupta SD. Epidemiology of measles and its complications in non-hospitalized children. Indian Journal of Community Medicine. 1990; 15.
32. Gupta SD. Coverage Evaluation Survey of Immunization in Eleven States of India.Indian Journal of Community Medicine. 1990; 15: 4.
33. Shah KC, Bansal RK, Gupta SD, Tomar VNS. Prevalence and Incidence of Poliomyelitis in Jaipur city. Indian Journal of Community Medicine. 1990; 15: 2.
34. Mangal N, Shah KC, Sitaraman S, Gupta SD. Epidemiology of Measles and its complications in non hospitalized children. Indian Journal of Community Medicine. 1990; 15: 3.
35. Mathur R, Gupta SD. Phage typing in epidemiological investigations of cholera. Under consideration of the Editorial Board. Indian Jour. of Public Health.
36. Mangal DK, Gupta SD, Jain TP. An epidemiological study of diabetes mellitus in an urban community of Jaipur City. Indian Jour. of Medical Research.
37. Jain TP, Nutan P, Gupta SD. Bachon ka Jeene ka Adhikaar: Rajasthan ka Sandharbh mein Rachana – RVJAI – Biannual. 1997.
38. Sodani PR, Gupta SD. Household Healthcare Expenditure in Tribal Areas of Rajasthan. MARGIN. 1998; 30: 4.
39. Gupta SD. Penelope Keyl: Field Evaluation of Effectiveness of Maternal Tetanus Toxoid Immunization in a Rural Area in India. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. 1998: 17: 14.
40. Kumar D, Gupta SD. Quality of Family Planning Services: Lessons from Concurrent Evaluation. Journal of Health Management. 1999; 1(2): 261-275.
41. Singh LP, SD Gupta. Utilization of the Healthcare System. In: Bhasin MK, Bhasin V, Raj K, eds. Rajasthan Ecology, Culture and Society, Human Ecology Special. Delhi. 1999; 7.
42. Gupta SD, Keyl P, Gupta R. A Study of Causes of Neonatal Mortality and Impact of Maternal Tetanus Toxoid Immunization on Child Survival. International Child Health. 1999.
43. Sodani PR, Gupta SD, Madnani GMK. Household Financing for Health Care in Rajasthan. Rajasthan Economic Journal. 1998; 22(2): 36-44.
44. Jain TP, Nutan P, Gupta SD, Singh LP. Meeting Reproductive and Sexual Health Needs of Adolescents : A Strategic Approach for Rajasthan, India. IIHMR. 2002.
45. Satish K, Gupta SD, Kumar D, Singh JP. Reproductive Tract Infections and their associated risk factors among the women in Bundi District of Rajasthan. Journal of Human Ecology. 2002; 2(6).
46. Sodani PR, Gupta SD. Household Health Care Expenditure in Tribal Areas of Rajasthan. Asian Economic Review. 1: 95-106.
47. Gupta SD. Adolescent Reproductive Health in India: Status, Policies, Programs and Issues. Policy Project, USAID. 2003.
48. Gupta SD, Dash PC, Kanjilal B. Strengthening District Health System through Management Interventions. IIHMR, India. 2005.
49. Gupta SD, Ravichandran N, Kumar D. Training for effective delivery of health services. Financing and Delivery of Health Care Services in India.
50. Gupta SD, Gupta P, Khanna A. Changes in IMR in Rajasthan over 25 years. Health and Population. Perspectives and Issues. 2009; 32(2): 105-111.
51. Gupta SD, Khanna A, Gupta R, Sharma NK, Sharma ND. Maternal Mortality Ratio and Predictors of Maternal Deaths in Selected Districts in Rajasthan – A community Based Survey and Case Control Study. Womens Health Issues. 2010; 20: 80-85. doi:10.1016/j.whi.2009.10.003
52. Govil D, Gupta SD. Millennium Development Goals in Rajasthan: A Review. Indian Institute of Health Management Research. Jaipur. 2010.
53. Dadhich A, Gupta SD, Sharma A. Pharmacoeconomics in Health Care Services. CBS E-Journal, Biz n Bytes. 2010; 4.
54. Gupta SD, Lal V, Jain R, Gupta OP. Modeling of H1N1 Outbreak in Rajasthan: methods and Approaches. Indian Journal of Community medicine. 2011; 36(1). doi:10.4103/0970-0218.80791
55. Gupta SD. Epidemiologic investigation of excess maternal and neonatal deaths and evidence-based low-cost public health interventions – Ignaz Semmelweis: the etiology, concept and prophylaxis of child bed fever. WHO South-East Asia Journal of Public Health. 2012; 1(4): 477.
56. Govil D, Khanna A, Gupta SD. Motherhood: Blessing or curse: Case. European Case Clearing House, UK. 2012.
57. Gupta SD, Lal V, Kumar VSV. Rational Use of Medicines: An Audit of Private Practitioners Prescription. Journal of Health Management. 2012; 14(3) 297-303.
58. Bhatnagar S, Lal V, Gupta SD, Gupta OP. Forecasting Incidence of Dengue in Rajasthan, Using Time Series Analyses. Indian Journal of Public Health. 2012; 56(4).
59. Gupta SD. Enhancing Role of District Hospitals and Community Health Centers in Primary Health Care in Rajasthan: A Case Study. Journal of Health Management. 2014; 16(1): 53-65.
1. Gupta SD. Population and Health in National Resource Book of National Council of Education Research and Training, New Delhi, India, 1990.