Roland Kaddoum, MD
Department of Anesthesiology
American University of Beirut Medical Center
Beirut 1107-2020, Lebanon
Dr. Kaddoum received the Degree of Doctor of Medicine from the Saint Joseph University School of Medicine in 1998 and completed Anesthesia Residency training at the AUB-Medical Center in 2003 followed by a year fellowship in Pediatric Anesthesia at Childrens Hospital of Michigan (2003-2004). He then repeated his Anesthesia Residency at Wayne State University in Detroit Michigan (2005-2008).
He joined the Faculty of St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital in Memphis TN (2008-2011) as Assistant Member. Dr. Kaddoum conducted Clinical Research at St. Jude and his main interests were the management of chronic pain in children with cancer, pediatric regional anesthesia, and pediatric airway management in children with mediastinal masses.
Dr. Kaddoum is involved in the Teaching of Medical Students and Anesthesia Residents at AUBMC, as well as conducting clinical research within the Department of Anesthesiology.
His research interest includes: Mainly in the field of pediatric anesthesia, dealing with intravenous line placement and the equipment that can be used to facilitate the placement, i.e. AccuVein, ultrasound…and also how to ventilate difficult airway patients. Also, as Director of the operating room, he is interested in publishing some work on how to make it an efficient operating room.
• Editor at the SM Journal of Anesthesia
• Member, Lebanese Order of Physicians
• Member of the American College of Physicians
• Member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists
• Member of the Tennessee Society of Anesthesiologists
• Member of the American Academy of Pain Management
1. Baraka AS, Ayoub CM, Kaddoum RN, Maaloui JM, Chehab JR, Hadi UM. Severe oxyhemoglobin desaturation during induction of anesthesia in a patient with congenital methemoglobinemia. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2001; 95(5): 1296-1297.
2. Karam YVG, Aouad MT, Kaddoum RN, Baraka AS. Methemoglobinemia after a blast injury. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2004; 100(2): 448-449.
3. Dabbous A, Gerges F, Kaddoum RN, Kassas C. Updates in cardiopulmonary resuscitation: The new millennium. Middle East J Anesthesiol. 2004; 17(4): 593-621.
4. Baraka AS, Aouad MT, Jalbout MI, Kaddoum RN, Khatib MF, Haroun-Bizri ST. End-tidal CO2 for prediction of cardiac output following weaning from cardiopulmonary bypass. J Extra Corpor Technol. 2004; 36(3): 255-7.
5. Baraka AS, Ayoub CM, Karam YV, et al. Prophylactic methylene blue in a patient with congenital methemoglobinemia. Can J Anesth. 2005; 52(3): 258-261.
6. Kaddoum RN, Chidiac EJ, Zestos MM, Ahmed Z. Electrocautery-induced fire during adenotonsillectomy: report of 2 cases. J Clin Anesth. 2006; 18(2): 129-131.
7. Kaddoum RN, Mubarak K, Chidiac EJ. Pulmonary hypertension and anesthesia. Middle East J Anesthesiol. 2006; 18(6): 1095-1111.
8. Kaddoum RN, Chidiac EJ, Zestos MM, Rajan SD, Baraka A. An anaphylactic reaction after primary exposure to an aprotinin test dose in a child with a severe milk allergy. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2007; 21(2): 243-244.
9. Yacoub C, Kaddoum RN, Wang H, Marsh M. Resection of metastatic right ventricular leiomyosarcoma: the role of transesophageal echocardiography. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2007; 21(3): 432-433.
10. Kaddoum RN, Yu J, Wang H, Chidiac EJ. Anesthesia management of Jehovahs Witness patient with pheochromocytoma undergoing off pump coronary artery bypass graft report-a case report. Middle East J Anesthesiol. 2008; 19(5): 1099-1104.
11. Chidiac EJ, Haladgian R, Burgoyne L, Perov S, Kaddoum RN. Adsorption of ropivacaine and bupivacaine onto home infusion pumps. Journal of Anesthesiology Clinical Pharmacology 2009; 25(2): 190-192.
12. Chidiac EJ, Kaddoum RN, Peterson SA. Patient survey of continuous interscalene analgesia at home after shoulder surgery. Middle East J Anesthesiol. 2009; 20(2): 213-218.
13. Kaddoum RN, Burgoyne LL, Pereiras LA, Bikhazi GB. Acute Opioid Withdrawal Precipitated by Blood Transfusion in a 21-Year-Old Male. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2009 Oct; 38(4):e10-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.05.007
14. Pacenta HL, Kaddoum RN, Pereiras LA, Chidiac EJ, Burgoyne LL. Continuous tunneled femoral nerve block for palliative care of a patient with metastatic osteosarcoma. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2010; 38(3): 563-565.
15. Burgoyne LL, Kaur A, Billups CA, et al. Complications of anesthesia for children with malignant infantile osteopetrosis before and after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Paediatr Anaesth. 2010; 20(11): 1046-1051. doi: 10.1111/j.1460-9592.2010.03425.x
16. Zestos MM, Daaboul D, Ahmed Z, Durgham N, Kaddoum RN. A novel rescue technique for difficult intubation and difficult ventilation. J Vis Exp. 2011; 47. doi:10.3791/1421
17. Kaddoum RN, Ahmed Z, DAugsutine AA, Zestos MM. Guidelines for elective pediatric fiberoptic intubation. J Vis Exp. 2011 Jan 17;(47). doi:10.3791/2364
18. Burgoyne LL, Billups CA, Jirón JL Jr, et al. Phantom limb pain in young cancer-related amputees: Recent experience at St. Jude Childrens Research Hospital. Clin J Pain. 2012; 28(3): 222-225. doi: 10.1097/AJP.0b013e318227ce7a.
19. Anghelescu DL, Kaddoum RN, Oakes LL, Windsor KB, Faughnan LG, Burgoyne LL. An update: the safety of patient-controlled analgesia by proxy for pain management in pediatric oncology: 2004 to 2010. Anesth Analg. 2011; 113(6): 1525-1526. doi:10.1213/ANE.0b013e318234a388
20. Aouad MT, Karam YVG, Mallat CE, Esso JJ, Sayyid SSM, Kaddoum RN. The effect of adjuvant drugs on the quality of tracheal intubation without muscle relaxants in children: a systematic review of randomized trials. Paediatr Anaesth. 2012 Jul; 22(7): 616-26. doi:10.1111/j.1460-9592.2012.03845.x
Paediatr Anaesth. 2012; 22(9): 884-889. doi:10.1111/j.1460-9592.2012.03896.x
22. Burgoyne L, Pereiras L, Bertani L, et al. Long-term use of nerve block catheters in paediatric patients with cancer related pathologic fractures. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2012; 40(4): 710-713.
23. Harreld JH, Helton KJ, Kaddoum RN, et al. The effects of propofol on cerebral perfusion MRI in children. Neuroradiology. 2013; 55(8): 1049-1056. doi: 10.1007/s00234-013-1187-0
24. Kaddoum RN, Burgoyne LL, Pereiras JA, Germain M, Neel M, Anghelescu DL. Nerve sheath catheter analgesia for forequarter amputation in paediatric oncology patients. Anaesth Intensive Care. 2013; 41(5): 671-677.
25. Kaddoum RN, Motlani F, Kaddoum RN, Srirajakalidindi A, Gupta D, Soskin V. Accidental dural puncture, postdural puncture headache, intrathecal catheters, and epidural blood patch: revisiting the old nemesis. J Anesth. 2013; 28(4): 623-630. doi:10.1007/s00540-013-1761-y
26. Chami SR, Taher S, Kaddoum RN, Tamim H, Charafeddine L. Simulation Training In Endotracheal Intubation In A Pediatric Residency. Middle East J Anesthesiol. 2014; 22(5): 477-485.
27. Eid EGR, Kaddoum RN, Tamim H, Hitti EA. Improving Hospital Discharge Time: A successful Implementation of Six Sigma Methodology. Medicine (Baltimore). 2015; 94(12): e633. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000000633