Roberto Maniglio, PhD
Associate Professor of Clinical Psychology
Department of Pedagogic, Psychological and Didactic Sciences
University of Salento
Piazzetta Tancredi, 73100 Lecce LE, Italy
Dr. Maniglio is an Associate Professor of Clinical Psychology. He is a Psychotherapist, a Criminologist and Forensic Psychopathologist, and a court-appointed expert. He teaches at the University of Salento, Lecce, Italy.
His research interests include: The etiology and prevalence of psychiatric disorders, family dysfunction, parenting, intimate partner violence, child abuse, sexual crimes, victimization, and aggression.
Scientific Associations/Societies Membership
• American Society of Addiction Medicine
• Association for Middle Level Education
• British Science Association
• Division of Evaluation, Measurement, & Statistics (Division 5 American Psychological Association)
• International Association for Criminal Psychology
• International Association for Health and Learning
• International Corrections and Prisons Association
• International Early Psychosis Association
• Ordine Nazionale degli Psicologi [Italian Psychological Association]
• Società Italiana di Criminologia [Italian Society of Criminology]
• Society for Qualitative Inquiry in Psychology
• Society for the Psychology of Women (Division 35 American Psychological Association)
Publications in peer-review international journals:
1. Maniglio R, Innamorati M. Psychosocial correlates of adolescent cannabis use: data from the Italian subsample of the second International Self-Reported Delinquency study. Journal of Addictive Diseases. 2014; 33: 210-220. doi: 10.1080/10550887.2014.950023.
2. Maniglio R. Significance, nature, and direction of the association between child sexual abuse and conduct disorder: a systematic review. Trauma, Violence, & Abuse. 2014. doi: 10.1177/1524838014526068
3. Maniglio R. Prevalence of sexual abuse among children with conduct disorder: a systematic review. Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review. 2014; 17: 268-282. doi: 10.1007/s10567-013-0161-z.
4. Maniglio R, Gusciglio F, Lofrese V, Belvederi Murri M, Tamburello A, Innamorati M. Biased processing of neutral facial expressions is associated with depressive symptoms and suicide ideation in individuals at risk for major depression due to affective temperaments. Comprehensive Psychiatry. 2014; 55: 518-525. doi: 10.1016/j.comppsych.2013.10.008
5. Maniglio R. Prevalence of child sexual abuse among adults and youths with bipolar disorder: a systematic review. Clinical Psychology Review. 2013; 33: 561-573. doi: 10.1016/j.cpr.2013.03.002
6. Maniglio R. The impact of child sexual abuse on the course of bipolar disorder: a systematic review. Bipolar Disorders: An International Journal of Psychiatry and Neurosciences. 2013; 15: 341-358. doi: 10.1111/bdi.12050
7. Maniglio R. Child sexual abuse in the etiology of anxiety disorders: a systematic review of reviews. Trauma, Violence, & Abuse. 2013; 14: 96-112. doi: 10.1177/1524838012470032
8. Maniglio R. The role of parent-child bonding, attachment, and interpersonal problems in the development of deviant sexual fantasies in sexual offenders. Trauma, Violence, & Abuse. 2012; 13: 83-96. doi: 10.1177/1524838012440337
9. Maniglio R. The role of childhood trauma, psychological problems, and coping in the development of deviant sexual fantasies in sexual offenders. Clinical Psychology Review. 2011; 31: 748-756. doi: 10.1016/j.cpr.2011.03.003
10. Maniglio R. The role of child sexual abuse in the etiology of suicide and non-suicidal self-injury. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 2011; 124: 30-41. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0447.2010.01612.x
11. Maniglio R. The role of child sexual abuse in the etiology of substance-related disorders. Journal of Addictive Diseases. 2011; 30: 216-228. doi: 10.1080/10550887.2011.581987
12. Carabellese F, Maniglio R, Greco O, Catanesi R. The role of fantasy in a serial sexual offender: a brief review of the literature and a case report. Journal of Forensic Sciences. 2011; 56: 256-260. doi: 10.1111/j.1556-4029.2010.01536.x.
13. Maniglio R. Child sexual abuse in the etiology of depression: a systematic review of reviews. Depression and Anxiety. 2010; 27: 631-642. doi: 10.1002/da.20687.
14. Maniglio R. The role of deviant sexual fantasy in the etiopathogenesis of sexual homicide: a systematic review. Aggression and Violent Behavior. 2010; 15: 294-302. doi: 10.1016/j.avb.2010.02.001
15. Maniglio R. The impact of child sexual abuse on health: a systematic review of reviews. Clinical Psychology Review. 2009; 29: 647-657. doi: 10.1016/j.cpr.2009.08.003.
16. Maniglio R. Severe mental illness and criminal victimization: a systematic review. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 2009; 119: 180-191. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0447.2008.01300.x
17. Maniglio R. The hooligan’s mind. Journal of Forensic Sciences. 2007; 52: 204-208. doi: 10.1111/j.1556-4029.2006.00315.x
National journals with peer-review:
1. Greco O. e Maniglio R. The psychological effects of child sexual abuse: a systematic review of the literature. Italian Review of Criminology. 2009; 1: 1-16.
2. Greco O. e Maniglio R. The parenting support in problem situations. The Family. 2009; 250: 6-19.
3. Greco O. e Maniglio R. The “child abuse” in the light of international literature. Studies and Research. 2008; X: 16.
4. Greco O. e Maniglio R. Pregnancy and childbirth. Psychopathological risk and intervention strategies. Studies and Research. 2008; X(15): 123-142.
5. Greco O. e Maniglio R. Mental illness and crime. Italian Review of Criminology. 2007; 1: 113-133.
6. Greco O. e Maniglio R. The parental alienation syndrome. The Family. 2007; 241: 30-36.
7. Maniglio R. Fans and ultras. A cognitive model of typhoid and violence. Clinical cognitivism. 2006; 3(1): 1-13.
8. Greco O. e Maniglio R. Mental disorders and parenting skills in intergenerational perspective. The Family. 2004; 224: 43-54.
9. Maniglio R. Attachment and antisocial personality disorder. “Parental Bonding” in subjects with antisocial disorder. Review of Psychotherapy, Hypnosis, Psychosomatic Medicine and Forensic Psychopathology. 2004; 9(1): 75-86.
Local journals without peer-review:
10. Pavone G. e Maniglio R. Effectiveness of the legal instruments in the repression of hooliganism. Notebooks. 2010; X(2): 228-249.
11. Maniglio R. Comorbid psychiatric disorders and substance use. Empirical contribution on Personality Disorders in drug addicts. Psychiatry in Puglia and Basilicata. 2004; X(16): 83-86.
12. Greco O. e Maniglio R. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from bullying and biological damage. Psychiatry in Puglia and Basilicata. 2004; X (15): 52-55.
13. Maniglio R., Carofalo S. e Greco O. Nicotine addiction. Results of a search. Salento Doctor. 2004; XXVII (4-5-6): 18-21.
14. Greco O, Maniglio R. Addiction and parenting. Controversial. 2004; 0: 20-21.