Robert E. Wright, MD, DABPM, FIPP
Sydney Pain Management Centre
New South Wales. Australia
Dr. Wright matriculated at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston Texas as a presidential scholar in 1983 completing his MD degree in 1987. His residency was in anesthesiology with fellowship in chronic pain management at the University of Utah. After four years in the US Air Force, he founded Denver Pain Management and contributed to evolving national standards of care in pain management.
In the early 2000’s Dr. Wright assisted with the first standardized guidelines on interventional pain management while co-directing the emerging pain clinic at Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles.
Over the past two decades Dr. Wright developed novel techniques and technologies for the field of pain management; he co-invented the DekompressorTM percutaneous discectomy probe for the minimally invasive treatment of disc herniation and invented the Nimbus ConceptsTM Multi-Tined Expandable RF Electrode as a more effective device for radiofrequency-based therapies. He is a Diplomat of the American Board of Pain Medicine and Fellow of Interventional Pain Practice.
Dr. Wright is currently a Pain Physician in the SIMG pathway at Sydney Pain Management Centre in Sydney, Australia.
• (7/1990-7/1991) Subspecialty training in Pain Management University of Utah Medical Center
• (7/1988-7/1990) Anesthesiology Residency University of Utah Medical Center
• (7/1987-7/1988) Internal Medicine Internship University of Utah Medical Center
• (8/1983-7/1987) MD, Degree Baylor College of Medicine – President’s Scholar,
Texas Medical Center Houston
• (8/1980-5/1983) BS, Biology Summa Cum Laude, Texas A&M University College Station, TX
Diagnosis and treatment of discovertebral pain; Radiofrequency thermal ablation for major joint pain. Mechanisms and optimization of non-ablative radiofrequency.
1. Wright RE, Smith KW, Hayes JK, Peters JL. Evaluation of the fenem FEF end-tidal CO2 detector in a dog model of cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Anesthesia Analgesia. 1990; 70: S443.
2. Wright RE, Peterson JP, Smith KW, Smith BK. Clonidine premeditation for intravenous regional anesthesia. SAMBA Residents Grant Winner. 1991.
3. Hobbs KF, Sawitake AD, Wright RE. The efficacy of transdermal clonidine in primary fibromyalgia syndrome. Paper presented at: Western Pain Conference. 1992.
4. Helmer D, Aspegren DA, Wright RE. Manipulation under epidural anesthesia with corticosteroid injection: Two case reports. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1997; 20: 618-621.
5. Wright RE, Colliton JW. Neurostimulation of the L2 dorsal root ganglion for intractable disc pain: description of a novel technique. Paper presented at: 3rd Annual Conference of the International Functional Electrical Stimulation Society (IFESS); Luzern, Switzerland; 1998.
6. Wright RE, Kamson S, Finch P, Brandt SA, Pflueger R, Rickles B. Precise in vivo measurement of peak intra-annular temperatures obtained during IDET. Paper presented at: International Intradiscal Therapy Society 13th Annual Meeting; 2000.
7. Wright RE. Initial twenty cases using ionic annuloplasty for lumbar discogenic pain. Paper presented at: World Congress of Pain; Istanbul, Turkey; 2001.
8. Wright RE, Brandt SA, Barkow SH, Vilims BD. Pflueger DR quantitative annular thermometry in humans and sheep during radiofrequency and electrothermal annuloplasty techniques in regional anesthesia and pain management. 2001; 5(4).
9. Brandt S, Wright R, Vilims B, Bailey D. Formulation of the radionics’ DiscTRODE annuloplasty protocol: the denver protocol. Paper presented at: The International Spinal Injection Society 10th Annual Meeting in Austin; 2002; Texas, USA.
10. Brandt SA, Vilims BD, Bailey DB, Wright RE. Formulation and implementation of the radionics DiscTRODE annuloplasty protocol. Pain Physician. 2002; 5(4): 468.
11. Wright RE, Brandt S, Cherry J. Changes in function during spinal cord stimulation trial. Paper presented at: The International Spinal Injection Society 10th Annual Meeting in Austin; 2002; Texas, USA.
12. Vilims BD, Brandt SA, Wright RE. Case report percutaneous disc decompression/discectomy. Practical Pain Management. 2002; 2: 19-22.
13. Vilims BD, Wright RE. Supraclavicular approach to brachial plexus block using fluoroscopic anatomic landmarks and nerve stimulation. Pain Physician. 2003; 6: 191-194.
14. Alô KM, Wright RE, Sutcliffe J, Brandt SA. Percutaneous lumbar discectomy: Clinical response in an initial cohort of fifty consecutive patients with chronic radicular pain. Pain Pract. 2004; 4(1): 19-29. doi: 10.1111/j.1533-2500.2004.04003.x
15. Alô KM, Wright RE, Sutcliffe J, Brandt SA. Percutaneous lumbar discectomy: One-year follow-up in an initial cohort of fifty consecutive patients with chronic radicular pain. Pain Practice. 2005; 5(2): 116-124. doi: 10.1111/j.1533-2500.2005.05208.x
16. Wright RE. Radiofrequency neurotomy for sacroiliac joint pain using the Baylis SInergy™ probe; a prospective clinical outcome study with six month follow up. Paper Presented at: The International Spine Intervention Society 15th Annual Meeting; 2007; Baltimore, Maryland.
17. Wright RE, et al. In vivo temperature measurement during neurotomy for sacroiliac joint pain using the Baylis SInergy™ probe. Paper presented at: The International Spinal Injection Society 15th Annual Meeting; 2007; Baltimore, Maryland.
18. Wright RE. Thoracic radiofrequency medial branch ablation: Description of a novel technique, in vivo temperature study, and 8 patient 6-month outcomes. Paper Presented at: The International Spine Intervention Society 16th Annual Meeting; 2009; Toronto, Canada.
19. Wright RE. Thoracic cooled radiofrequency medial branch ablation: acute safety and 6-month patient outcomes. Pain in Europe VI, ERIC; 2009; Lisbon, Portugal.
20. Wright RE, Brandt SA. An ex vivo study on radiofrequency tissue ablation using a novel multitined expandable electrode. Paper presented at: The International Spine Intervention Society 19th Annual Meeting; 2011; Chicago, Illinois.
21. Wright RE, Brandt SA. Lumbar medial branch neurotomy using a novel multitined expandable electrode, case report with EMG of the segmental multifidus at one month. Paper present at: The 30th Annual ESRA Congress; 2011; Dresden, Germany.
22. Wright RE. Cooled radiofrequency system for the treatment of thoracic facet joint pain: The first prospective case series using a novel placement technique. Paper presentation at: The 30th Annual ESRA Congress; 2011; Dresden, Germany.
23. Wright RE, Brandt SA. In vivo temperature measurement during lumbar medial branch neurotomy using a novel multitined expandable electrode. Poster presentation at: The 7th Congress of the European Federation of IASP Chapters (EFIC)–PAIN IN EUROPE VII; 2011; Hamburg, Germany.
24. Wright RE. Intravertebral radiofrequency ablation in a metastatic disease model; further ex-vivo testing of a novel multitined expandable radiofrequency electrode using thermal imaging. Paper presented at: the 1st European – American Spine and Chronic Pain Symposium and Workshops; 2012; Croatia, Balkans.
25. Wright RE, Weingardt JP, Bainbridge JS, Allan KA. MRI protocol for analysis of tissue ablation following dorsal SIJ radiofrequency denervation. Paper presented at: ISIS 21st Annual Scientific Meeting.
26. Wright RE. Radiofrequency ablation using a novel multitined expandable electrode: device description and research study. Minimally Invasive Surgery for Pain (MISP) Journal. 2013; 354(16): 1698-705.
27. Wright RE, Allan KJ, Bainbridge JS. Ex vivo validation of a novel technique for radiofrequency denervation of the dorsal sacroiliac joint including a case study. Paper presented at: The 32nd Annual ESRA Congress; 2013; Glasgow, Scotland.
28. Wright RE. Radiofrequency ablation of the basivertebral nerve using a Bi-pedicular approach; description of a technique and case report. Paper presented at: The First International Congress on Spinal Pain; 2016; Gwangju, South Korea.
29. Wright RE. Radiofrequency neurotomy for sacroiliac joint pain; twelve-month outcomes and comparison between two techniques. Poster presentation at: The 11th Congress of the European Pain Federation EFIC; 2019; Valencia, Spain.