Reza Mehrazin, MD
Department of Urology
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
1 Gustave L. Levy Place, Box 1272
New York, NY 10029, USA
Dr. Mehrazin, is currently Assistant Professor of Urology at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY. He joined faculty after finishing a Society of Urologic Oncology (SUO) accredited fellowship at a highly prestigious National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated cancer center, Fox Chase Cancer Center.
His clinical and research interests include: Revolve around novel clinical and surgical treatment of adrenal tumors, Bladder cancer kidney cancer, and upper tract urothelial carcinomas.
AWARD AND HONORS
• (2013) Best Abstract Podium Presentation at 14th Annual Meeting of the Society of Urologic Oncology
• (2011-2012) Chief Resident Department of Urology.University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN
• Essay Contest Award Winner (2nd place), Variation in Prevalence of and Risk Factors For Development of Diabetes Mellitus Following Radical or Partial Nephrectomy
• Best of Session Poster (1st Place), Does Timing of Cytoreductive Nephrectomy Impact Patient Survival With Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma In The Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Era? Presented at the National American Urological Association Annual Meeting, 2011
• Gerald P. Murphy Scholar. Presented by Watson ® Pharmaceutical Company at Annual American Urological Association Meeting. San Francisco, CA. May 2010
• Gerald P. Murphy Scholar. Presented by Watson ® Pharmaceutical Company at Annual American Urological Association Meeting. Chicago, IL. May 2009
• Best of Session Poster (1st Place), Pilot Study of Feasibility and Efficacy of Neoadjuvant Sunitinib prior to Nephron Sparing Surgery Presented 85th Annual Western Section of American Urologic Association Meeting, Las Vegas, NV, October 2009
• Selected as Student Leader at Michael Reese Hospital Department of OB/GYN. Supervising and helping students to complete assigned goals and responsibilities both on WARD and Clinic
• Terry Fox Laboratory Research Award One out of three student recipients who received a grant to design and perform basic science or clinical research
• Avogadro Chemistry Award from Waterloo University, Ontario, Canada
• (2008-Present) American Urological Association
• (2008-Present) Society of Urologic Oncology
• (2011-2012) Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee at The MED Regional Hospital
• (2007-2012) Southeastern Section of AUA
• (2007-2012) Memphis Medical Society
1. Mehrazin R, Smaldone, Egleston B, et al. Tumor Anatomic Complexity Predicts Growth Kinetics of Renal Masses Under Active Surveillance. Urol Oncology. 2015.
2. Kopp RP, Liss MA, Mehrazin R, et al. Analysis of Renal Functional Outcomes After Radical or Partial Nephrectomy for Renal Masses ≥7 cm Using the RENAL Score. Urology. 2015.
3. Golovine K, Makhov P, Naito S, et al. Piperlongumine and its analogs down-regulate expression of c-Met in renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Biol Ther. 2015; 16(5): 743-749. doi: 10.1080/15384047.2015.1026511.
4. Mehrazin R, Galsky M. Systemic therapy-differentiating the achievable from the achieved. Nat Rev Urol. 2015; 12(3): 128-129. doi: 10.1038/nrurol.2014.358
5. Mehrazin R, Piotrowski Z, Egleston B, et al. Is Extended Pharmacological Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis Uniformly Safe Following Radical Cystectomy? Urology. 2014; 84(5): 1152-1156. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2014.06.058
6. Ito T, Abbosh PH, Mehrazin R, et al. Surgical Apgar Score Predicts an Increased Risk For Major Complications and Death Following Renal Mass Excision. J Urol. 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2014.11.085
7. Mehrazin R, Uzzo R, Kutikov A, et al. Lymphopenia as an Independent Predictor of Worse Outcome in Papillary Renal Cell Carcinoma. Urol Oncol. 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2012.09.166
8. Tomaszewski J, Uzzo R, Egleston B, et al. Coupling of Prostate and Thyroid Cancer Diagnoses in the United States. Ann Surg Oncol. 2015; 22(3): 1043-1049. doi: 10.1245/s10434-014-4066-y
9. Corcoran T, Kaffenberger S, Clark P, et al. Hypoalbuminemia is Associated with Mortality in Patients Undergoing Cytoreductive Nephrectomy. BJU Int. 2014. doi: 10.1111/bju.12897
10. Tomaszewski JJ, Smaldone MC, Cung B, et al. Internal validation of the renal pelvic score: a novel marker of renal pelvic anatomy that predicts urine leak after partial nephrectomy. Urology. 2014; 84(2): 351-357. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2014.05.001.
11. Tomaszewski J, Smaldone M, Mehrazin R, et al. Anatomic Complexity Quantitated by Nephrometry Score Is Associated With Prolonged Warm Ischemia Time During Robotic Partial Nephrectomy. Urology. 2014; 84(2): 340-344. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2014.04.013
12. Tomaszewski J, Uzzo R, Kocher N, et al. Patients with anatomically “simple” renal masses are more likely to be placed on active surveillance than those with anatomically “complex” lesions. Urol Oncol. 2014; 32(8): 1267-1271. doi: 10.1016/j.urolonc.2014.05.003
13. Tomaszewski JJ, Handorf E, Corcoran AT, et al. Care transitions between hospitals are associated with treatment delay for patients with muscle invasive bladder cancer. J Urol. 2014; 192(5): 1349-1354. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2014.05.027
14. Plimack E, Hoffman-Censits J, Viterbo R, et al. Accelerated MVAC is safe, effective and efficient neoadjuvant treatment for Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer: Results of Multicenter Phase II Study with molecular Correlates of Response and Toxicity. J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32(18): 1895-901. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2013.53.2465
15. Tomaszewski J, Uzzo R, Kutikov A, et al. Assessing the burden of complications after surgery for clinically localized kidney cancer by age and comorbidity status. Urology. 2014; 83(4): 843. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2013.12.048
16. Mehrazin R, Smaldone M, Kutikov A, et al. Growth Kinetics and Short Term Outcomes of cT1b and cT2 Renal Masses Under Active Surveillance. J Urol. 2014; 192(3): 659-664. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2014.03.038.
17. Mehrazin R, Smaldone M. Review Article. PCA-3: Where does it fit in with prostate cancer screening? Renal & Urology News. 2014, 13(2): 19.
18. Jabaji R, Palazzi K, Mehrazin R, et al. Determinants of Renal Functional Decline after Open Partial Nephrectomy: A Comparison of Warm, Cold, and Non-Ischemic Modalities. Can J Urol 2014; 21(1): 7064.
20. Makhov P, Golovine K, Teper E, et al. Piperlongumine promotes autophagy via inhibition of Akt/mTOR signaling and mediates cancer cell death. British Journal of Cancer. 2014. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2013.810
21. Baldinger L, Mehrazin R, Tomaszweski JJ, Uzzo RG. Renal Cell Carcinoma in Elderly. Current Geriatrics Reports. 2014. 3(1).
22. Mehrazin R, Wong Y, Hong W, Al-Saleem T, Smaldone M. Renal cell carcinoma metastasis to a contralateral oncocytoma in a patient presenting with bilateral synchronous renal tumors. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2013; 11(4): e27-e29.
23. Tomaszewski J, Smaldone M, Cung B, et al. Renal Pelvic Anatomy predicts urine leak following open partial nephrectomy. Eur Urol. 2013.
24. Kopp R, Mehrazin R, Palazzi K, et al. Survival Outcomes after Radical and Partial Nephrectomy for Clinical T2 Renal Tumors Categorized by RENAL Nephrometry Score. BJU Int. 2013. doi: 10.1111/bju.12580
25. Ginzburg S, Uzzo R, Al-Saleem T et al. Coexisting hybrid malignancy in a solitary sporadic solid benign renal mass: implications for managing patients following renal biopsy. J Urol. 2014; 191(2): 296. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2013.07.059
27. Mehrazin R, Palazzi K, Colangelo CJ, et al. Impact of Tumor Morphology on Renal Functional Decline after Partial Nephrectomy. BJU Int. 2013; 111(8). doi: 10.1111/bju.12149
28. Liss M, Park S, Kopp R, et al. Is Laparoendoscopic Single-site Surgery a Viable Approach for Radical Nephrectomy with Renal Vein Thrombus? Comparison to Multiport Laparoscopy. Urology. 2013. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2013.01.075.
29. Sisul D, Liss M, Palazzi K, et al. RENAL Nephrometry Score is Associated With Complications After Renal Cryoablation: A Multicenter Analysis. Urology. 2013; 81(4): 775-780. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2012.11.037
30. Stroup S, Raheem O, Palazzi K, et al. Does Timing of Cytoreductive Nephrectomy Impact Patient Survival with Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma in the Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Era? A Multi-Institutional Study. Urology. 2013; 81(4): 805-811. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2012.10.054
31. Diblasio C, Derweesh I, Maddox M et al. Nomogram to Predict Prostate Cancer Diagnosis on Primary Transrectal Ultrasound-Guided Prostate Biopsy in a Contemporary Series. Curr Urol. 2013; 6(3): 141-145. doi: 10.1159/000343528
32. Kopp RP, Mehrazin R, Palazzi K, Bazzi WM, Patterson AL, Derweesh IH. Factors Affecting Renal Function After Open Partial Nephrectomy-A Comparison of Clampless and Clamped Warm Ischemic Technique. Urology. 2012; 80(4): 865-871. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2012.04.079
33. Kopp RP, Derweesh IH, Mehrazin R. Reply to Editorial Comment. Urology. 2012; 80(4): 871.
34. Singh S, Chitkara D, Mehrazin R, Behrman SW, Wake RW, Mahato RI. Chemoresistance in Prostate Cancer Cells is Regulated by miRNA and Hedgehog Pathway. PLoS One. 2012; 7(6): e40021. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0040021
35. Kopp RP, Dicks BM, Goldstein I, et al. Does Radical Nephrectomy Increase the Risk of Erectile Dysfunction Compared to Partial Nephrectomy? A Cohort Analysis. BJU Int. 2012. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2012.11346.x
36. Stroup SP, Palazzi K, Kopp RP, et al. RENAL Nephrometry Score Is Associated with Operative Approach for Partial Nephrectomy and Urine Leak. Urology. 2012; 80(1): 151-156. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2012.04.026.
37. Woldrich J, Mehrazin R, Bazzi W, et al. Variations in Prevalence of and Risk Factors for Development of Anemia and Erythropoiesis-Stimulating Agent Utilization Following Radical or Partial Nephrectomy. BJU Int. 2012; 109(7): 1019-1025.
38. Bagrodia A, Mehrazin R, Bazzi W, Wan J, Patterson A, Derweesh I. Comparison of Rates and Risk Factors for Development of Osteoporosis and Fractures Following Radical or Partial Nephrectomy. Urology. 2011; 78(3): 614-619. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2011.02.071
39. Silberstein J, Millard F, Mehrazin R, et al. Feasibility and Efficacy of Neoadjuvant Sunitinib prior to Nephron Sparing Surgery: Retrospective Review and Prospective Pilot Study. BJU Int. 2010; 106(9): 1270-1276. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.09357.x
40. Bagrodia A, Malcolm J, DiBlasio C, et al. Variation in Incidence of and Risk Factors for Development of Nephrolithiasis After Radical or Partial Nephrectomy. BJU Int. 2010; 106(8): 1200-1204. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.09246.x
41. Mehrazin R, Derweesh I, Giem A, Balazs L, Diblasio C. Case Report: Local Excision for Fibroma of the Testicular Tunic in an HIV patient. Current Urology. 2009; 3(3): 158-160.
42. Yavari P, Sadrolhefazi B, Mohagheghi M, Mehrazin R. A descriptive retrospective study of bladder cancer at a hospital in Iran (1973-2003). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2009; 10(4): 681-684.
43. Malcom J, Bagrodia A, Derweesh I, et al. Comparison of rates and risk factors for developing chronic renal insufficiency, proteinuria and metabolic acidosis after radical or partial nephrectomy. BJU Int. 2009; 104(4): 476-481. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2009.08376.x
44. Malcolm J, Derweesh I, Mehrazin R, et al. Nonoperative management of blunt renal trauma: is routine follow-up imaging necessary? BMC Urology. 2008; 8: 11. doi: 10.1186/1471-2490-8-11
45. Derweesh IH, Malcolm JB, DiBlasio C, Mehrazin R, Jackson S. Sutureless laparoscopic heminephrectomy: Safety and efficacy in physiologic and chronically obstructed porcine kidney. Surgical Innovation. 2008; 15(3): 194-202. doi: 10.1177/1553350608321104
46. Malcolm J, Derweesh I, Brightbill K, Mehrazin R, DiBlasio C, Wake R. Efficacy of tubeless percutaneous nephrolithotomy for complex renal stone disease: Single center experience. Can J Urol. 2008; 15(3): 4072-4077.
47. Mehrazin R, Derweesh I, Kincade M, Thomas C, Gold R, Wake R. Adrenal Trauma: The Elvis Presley Memorial Trauma Center Experience. Urology. 2007; 70(5): 851-855.
48. Gaber O, Shokouh-Amiri H, Nezakatgoo N, et al. Ipsilateral Placement in Double- Kidney Transplantation. Transplantation. 2007; 84(7): 929-931.