Qibin Qi, PhD
Department of Epidemiology &
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue, Belfer 1306A
Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Dr. Qi received his PhD from Institute for Nutritional Sciences, Shanghai Institutes for Biological Sciences, Shanghai, China in 2010. He was a Research fellow at Harvard School of Public Health from 2010 to 2013. He became an Assistant Professor at Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine since September 2013. Dr. Qi’s research has focused on genetics, diet/lifestyle factors, and gene-environment interactions in relation to obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases. He has authored or co-authored more than 60 original articles and reviews in scientific journals such as NEJM, JAMA, BMJ, Circulation, Diabetes, Diabetes care and PloS Genetics in the past five years. He received many awards and honors such as Scott Grundy Fellowship Award for Excellence from the American Heart Association and Young Investigator Travel Award from the American Diabetes Association.
His research interests include: Gene-diet/lifestyle interaction studies for obesity, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease in prospective population cohorts and nutrition intervention trials, Genetic association studies for obesity, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease and Epidemiology studies of biomarkers (adipokines and inflammation markers) and diet/lifestyle factors in relation to obesity, metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
AWARDS AND HONORS
• (2002) Outstanding Undergraduate Student Honor, Nanjing University
• (2002) Outstanding Undergraduate Scholarship, Nanjing University
• (2003) Outstanding Undergraduate Scholarship, Nanjing University
• (2004) Outstanding Undergraduate Scholarship, Nanjing University
• (2008) ZhuliYuehua Award for Outstanding PhD Student, Chinese Academy of Sciences
• (2010) Pfizer Special Award for Outstanding PhD Student, Chinese Academy of Sciences
• (2011) Scott Grundy Fellowship Award for Excellence in Metabolism, American Heart Association
• (2011) Elizabeth Barrett-Connor Research Award in Epidemiology(Finalist),American Heart Association
• (2012) Harvard Chinese Public Health Annual Distinguished Research Award
• (2013) Harvard Chinese Public Health Annual Distinguished Research Award
• (2014) Jeremiah and Rose Stamler Research Award for New Investigators (Finalist), American Heart Association
• (2014) Young Investigator Travel Grant Award, American Diabetes Association
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIP
• American Heart Association
• American Diabetes Association
• American Society of Human Genetics
1. Qi Q, Yu Z, Ye X, et al. Elevated retinol-binding protein 4 levels are associated with metabolic syndrome in Chinese people. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2007; 92: 4827-4834.
2. Qi Q, Wang J, Li H, et al. Associations of resist in with inflammatory and fibrinolytic markers, insulin resistance, and metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older Chinese. European Journal of Endocrinology. 2008; 159: 585-593. doi: 10.1530/EJE-08-0427
3. Sun L, Franco OH, Hu FB, et al. Ferritin concentrations, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and elderly Chinese. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2008; 93(12): 4690-4696. doi: 10.1210/jc.2008-1159
4. Pan A, Ye X, Franco OH, Li H, et al. The Association of Depressive Symptoms with Inflammatory Factors and Adipokines in Middle-aged and Older Chinese. PLoS One. 2008; 3(1): e1392.
5. Qi Q, Li H, Loos RJF, et al. Common variants in KCNQ1 are associated with type 2 diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in a Chinese Han population. Human Molecular Genetics. 2009; 18: 3508-3515. doi: 10.1093/hmg/ddp294
6. Qi Q, Wu Y, Li H, et al. Association of GCKR rs780094 alone or in combination with GCK rs1799884 with type 2 diabetes and related traits in a Chinese Han population. Diabetologia. 2009; 52: 834-843. doi: 10.1007/s00125-009-1290-2
7. Haseli-Mashhadi N, Pan A, Ye X, et al. Self-Rated Health in middle-aged and elderly Chinese: distribution, determinants and associations with cardio-metabolic risk factors. BMC Public Health. 2009; 9: 368. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-9-368
8. Wu Y, Li H, Loos RJ, et al. RBP4 variants are significantly associated with plasma RBP4 levels and hypertriglyceridemia risk in Chinese Hans. Journal of Lipid Research. 2009; 50(7): 1479-1486. doi: 10.1194/jlr.P900014-JLR200
9. Yu Z, Ye X, Wang J, et al. Associations of physical activity with inflammatory factors, adipocytokines and metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older Chinese people. Circulation. 2009; 119: 2969-2977. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.108.833574
10. Pan A, Demark-Wahnefried W, Ye X, et al. Effects of a flaxseed-derived lignan supplement on C-reactive protein, IL-6 and retinol-binding protein 4 in type 2 diabetic patients. British Journal of Nutrition. 2009; 101(8): 1145-1149. doi: 10.1017/S0007114508061527
11. Qi Q, Li H, Wu Y, et al. Combined effects of 17 common genetic variants on type 2 diabetes risk in a Han Chinese population. Diabetologia. 2010; 53(10): 2163-2166.
12. Qi Q, Li H, Loos RJF, et al. Association of PCSK1 rs6234 with Obesity and Related Traits in a Chinese Han Population. PLoS One. 2010; 5(5): e10590. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0010590
13. Shu XO, Long J, Cai Q, et al. Identification of new genetic risk variants for type 2 diabetes. PLoS Genetics. 2010; 6(9): e1001127. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1001127
14. Liu C, Wu Y, Li H, et al. MTNR1B rs10830963 is associated with fasting plasma glucose, HbA1C and impaired beta-cell function in Chinese Hans from Shanghai. BMC Medical Genetics. 2010; 11: 59. doi: 10.1186/1471-2350-11-59
15. Liu C, Yu Z, Li H, et al. Associations of alcohol consumption with diabetes mellitus and impaired fasting glycemia among middle-aged and elderly Chinese. BMC Public Health. 2010; 10: 713. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-10-713
16. Wu H, Qi Q, Yu Z, Sun L, Li H, Lin X. Opposite associations of trunk and leg fat depots with plasma ferritin levels in middle-aged and older Chinese men and women. PLoS One. 2010; 5(10): e13316. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0013316
17. Wu H, Qi Q, Yu Z, et al. Independent and opposite associations of trunk and leg fat depots with adipokines, inflammatory markers and metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older Chinese men and women. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2010; 95: 4389-4398. doi: 10.1210/jc.2010-0181
18. Wu H, Pan A, Yu Z, et al. Lifestyle counseling and supplementation with flaxseed or walnuts influence the management of metabolic syndrome. Journal of Nutrition. 2010; 140(11): 1937-1942. doi: 10.3945/jn.110.126300
19. Huang P, Li S, Shao M, et al. Calorie restriction and endurance exercise share potent anti-inflammatory function in adipose tissues in ameliorating diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance in mice. Nutrition & Metabolism. 2010; 7: 59. doi: 10.1186/1743-7075-7-59
20. Qi Q, Bray GA, Smith SR, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. Insulin receptor substrate 1 gene variation modifies insulin resistance response to weight-loss diets in a 2-year randomized trial: the Preventing Overweight Using Novel Dietary Strategies (Pounds Lost) Trial. Circulation. 2011; 124(5): 563-571. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.111.025767
21. Wu H, Yu Z, Qi Q, Li H, Sun Q, Lin X. Joint analysis of multiple biomarkers for identifying type 2 diabetes in middle-aged and older Chinese: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. 2011; 1(1): e000191. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2011-000191
22. Qi L, Ma J, Qi Q, Hartiala J, Allayee H, Campos H. Genetic risk score and risk of myocardial infarction in Hispanics. Circulation. 2011; 123(4): 374-380. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.110.976613
23. Liu C, Li H, Qi L, et al. Variants in GLIS3 and CRY2 are associated with type 2 diabetes and impaired fasting glucose in Chinese Hans. PLoS One. 2011; 6(6): e21464. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0021464
24. Liu C, Li H, Qi Q, et al. Common variants in or near FGF5, CYP17A1 and MTHFR genes are associated with blood pressure and hypertension in Chinese Hans. Journal of Hypertension. 2011; 29(1): 70-75. doi: 10.1097/HJH.0b013e32833f60ab
25. Qi Q, Workalemahu T, Zhang C, Hu FB, Qi L. Genetic variants, plasma lipoprotein(a) levels, and risk of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality among two prospective cohorts of type 2 diabetes. European Heart Journal. 2012; 33(3): 325-334. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehr350
26. Qi Q, Menzaghi C, Smith S, et al. Genome-wide association analysis identifies TYW3/CRYZ and NDST4 loci associated with circulating resistin levels. Human Molecular Genetics. 2012; 21(21): 4774-4780. doi: 10.1093/hmg/dds300
27. Qi Q, Forman JP, Jensen MK, et al. Genetic predisposition to high blood pressure associates with cardiovascular complications among patients with type 2 diabetes: two independent studies. Diabetes. 2012; 61(11): 3026-3032. doi: 10.2337/db12-0225
28. Qi Q, Liang L, Doria A, Hu FB, Qi L. Genetic predisposition to dyslipidemia and type 2 diabetes risk in two prospective cohorts. Diabetes. 2012; 61(3): 745-752. doi: 10.2337/db11-1254
29. Qi Q, Bray GA, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. Weight-loss diets modify glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide receptor rs2287019 genotype effects on changes in body weight, fasting glucose, and insulin resistance: the Preventing Overweight Using Novel Dietary Strategies trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012; 95(2): 506-513. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.111.025270
30. Qi Q, Chu AY, Kang JH, et al. Sugar-sweetened beverages and genetic risk of obesity. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012; 367(15): 1387-1396. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1203039
31. Qi Q, Li Y, Chomistek AK, et al. Television watching, leisure-time physical activity and the genetic predisposition in relation to body mass index in women and men. Circulation. 2012; 126(15): 1821-187. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.112.098061
32. Mattei J, Qi Q, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. TCF7L2 genetic variants modulate the effect of dietary fat intake on changes in body composition during a weight-loss intervention. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012; 96(5): 1129-1136. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.112.038125
33. Zhang X, Qi Q, Liang J, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. Neuropeptide Y promoter polymorphism modifies effects of a weight-loss diet on 2-year changes of blood pressure: the Preventing Overweight Using Novel Dietary Strategies Trial. Hypertension. 2012; 60(5): 1169-1175. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.112.197855
34. Zhang X, Qi Q, Bray GA, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. APOA5 genotype modulates 2-y changes in lipid profile in response to weight-loss diet intervention: the Pounds Lost Trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2012; 96(4): 917-922.
35. Li Y, Qi Q, Workalemahu T, Hu FB, Qi L. Birth weight, genetic-susceptibility and adulthood risk of type 2 diabetes. Diabetes care. 2012; 35(12): 2479-2484. doi: 10.2337/dc12-0168
36. Zhang X, Qi Q, Zhang C, Hu FB, Sacks FM, Qi L. FTO Genotype and 2-year change in body composition and fat distribution in response to weight-loss diets: the Pounds Lost Trial. Diabetes. 2012; 61(11): 3005-3011. doi: 10.2337/db11-1799
37. Yu Z, Sun L, Qi Q, et al. Hypertriglyceridemic waist, cytokines and hyperglycaemia in Chinese. European Journal of Clinical Investigation. 2012; 42(10): 1100-1111. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2362.2012.02702.x
38. Lu L, Wu Y, Qi Q, et al. Associations of type 2 diabetes with common variants in PPARD and the modifying effect of vitamin D among middle-aged and elderly Chinese. PLoS One. 2012; 7(4): e34895.
39. Qi Q, Meigs JB, Rexrode KM, Hu FB, Qi L. Diabetes genetic predisposition score and cardiovascular complications among patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes care. 2013; 36(3): 737-739. doi: 10.2337/dc12-0852
40. Xu M, Qi Q, Liang J, et al. Genetic determinant for amino acid metabolites and changes in body weight and insulin resistance in response to weight-loss diets: the preventing overweight using novel dietary strategies (POUNDS LOST) trial. Circulation. 2013; 127(12): 1283-1289. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.112.000586
41. Zhu J, Sun Q, Zong G, et al. Interaction between a common variant in FADS1 and erythrocyte polyunsaturated fatty acids on lipid profile in Chinese Hans. Journal of Lipid Research. 2013; 54(5): 1477-1483. doi: 10.1194/jlr.P027516
42. Chu AY, Workalemahu T, Paynter NP, et al. Novel locus including FGF21 is associated with dietary macronutrient intake. Human Molecular Genetics. 2013; 22(9): 1895-1902. doi: 10.1093/hmg/ddt032
43. Smith CE, Ngwa J, Tanaka T, et al. Lipoprotein receptor-related protein 1 variants and dietary fatty acids: meta-analysis of European origin and African American studies. Int J Obes (Lond). 2013; 37(9): 1211-1220. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2012.215
44. Ahmad S, Rukh G, Varga TV, et al. Gene × physical activity interactions in obesity: combined analysis of 111,421 individuals of European ancestry. PLoS Genetics. 2013; 9(7): e1003607. doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1003607
45. Qi Q, Xu M, Wu H, et al. IRS1 Genotype Modulates Metabolic Syndrome Reversion in Response to 2-Year Weight-Loss Diet Intervention: The POUNDS LOST trial. Diabetes Care. 2013; 36(11): 3442-3447. doi: 10.2337/dc13-0018
46. Qi L, Qi Q, Prudente S, et al. Association between a genetic variant related to glutamic acid metabolism and coronary heart disease in individuals with type 2 diabetes. JAMA. 2013; 310(8): 821-828. doi: 10.1001/jama.2013.276305
47. Sun L, Qi Q, Zong G, et al. Elevated Plasma Retinol-Binding Protein 4 Is Associated with Increased Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Middle-Aged and Elderly Chinese Adults. J Nutr. 2014; 144(5): 722-728. doi: 10.3945/jn.113.189860
48. Huang T, Qi Q, Li Y, et al. FTO genotype, dietary protein, and change in appetite: the Preventing Overweight Using Novel Dietary Strategies trial. Am J ClinNutr. 2014; 99(5): 1126-1130. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.113.082164
49. Mirzaei K, Xu M, Qi Q, et al. Variants in glucose- and circadian rhythm-related genes affect the response of energy expenditure to weight-loss diets: the POUNDS LOST Trial. Am J ClinNutr. 2014; 99(2): 392-399. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.113.072066
50. Qi Q, Chu AY, Kang JH, et al. Fried food consumption, genetic risk, and body mass index: gene-diet interaction analysis in three US cohort studies. BMJ. 2014; 348: g1610.
51. Chen P, Takeuchi F, Lee JY, et al. Multiple Non-glycemic Genomic Loci Are Newly Associated with Blood Level of Glycated Hemoglobin in East Asians. Diabetes. 2014. doi: 10.2337/db13-1815
52. Qi Q, Kilpeläinen TO, Downer MK, et al. FTO genetic variants, dietary intake and body mass index: insights from 177 330 individuals. Hum Mol Genet. 2014; 411.
53. He M, Xu M, Zhang B, et al. Meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies of adult height in East Asians identifies 17 novel loci. Hum Mol Genet. 2014; 24(6): 1791-1800. doi: 10.1093/hmg/ddu583.
54. Huang T, Huang J, Qi Q, et al. PCSK7 Genotype Modifies Effect of a Weight-Loss Diet on 2-Year Changes of Insulin Resistance: The POUNDS LOST Trial. Diabetes Care. 2014. doi: 10.2337/dc14-0473.
55. Qi Q, Durst R, Schwarzfuchs D, et al. CETP genotype and changes in lipid levels in response to weight-loss diet intervention: gene-diet interaction analysis in the POUNDS LOST and DIRECT randomized trials. J Lipid Res. 2014. doi: 10.1194/jlr.P055715
56. Wu H, Flint AJ, Qi Q, et al. Association between Dietary Whole Grain Intake and Risk of Mortality: Two Large Prospective Studies in US Men and Women. JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175(3): 373-384. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.6283
57. Cespedes EM, Dudley KA, Sotres-Alvarez D, et al. Joint Associations of Insomnia and Sleep Duration with Prevalent Diabetes: The Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL). J Diabetes. 2015. doi: 10.1111/1753-0407.12308
58. Huang T, Qi Q, Zheng Y, et al. Genetic Predisposition to Central Obesity and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes: Two Independent Cohort Studies. Diabetes Care. 2015; 38(7): 1306-1311. doi: 10.2337/dc14-3084
59. Qi Q, Downer MK, Kilpeläinen TO, et al. Dietary intake, FTO genetic variants and adiposity: a combined analysis of over 16,000 children and adolescents. Diabetes. 2015; 64(7): 2467-2476. doi: 10.2337/db14-1629