Pier Francesco Indelli, MD, PhD
Clinical Professor in Adult Reconstruction
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Stanford University School of Medicine
VA Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS)
3801 Miranda Ave
Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Dr. Indelli, MD, PhD has received his MD degree from the University of Florence, Italy. He completed his Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery in 2009, still at the University of Florence. From 2000 to 2002, Dr. Indelli was Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the Division of Orthopaedic Surgery at Stanford University. In 2002, Dr. Indelli completed his ECFMG pathway. Dr Indelli completed two Clinical Fellowship in the US: a clinical fellowship in Sports Medicine at the University of Arizona (2002-2003, Tucson, AZ) and a clinical fellowship in Adult Reconstruction at Duke University (2204-2005, Durham, NC). Dr Indelli received a PhD in Orthopaedic Surgery from the University of Florence in 2014, presenting a Thesis on Rotational Landmarks in Primary Total Knee arthroplasty. He has been with the University of Florence (Florence, Italy) from 2009 to 2014, joining the Faculty of as an Assistant Professor in Adult Reconstruction at the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He served as tenured Clinical Assistant Professor in Adult Reconstruction at the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation at the University of New Mexico (Albuquerque, NM, USA) for the academic year 2014-2015. He has 23 internationally peer-reviewed published papers, 151 peer-reviewed international presentations, and honoured with several academic awards. He is currently member of AAOS, AAHKS, AOA, ICJR, ISSNAF, MTSG, SIOT, Piedmont Orthopaedic Society and SIGASCOT.
His research interest includes: Rotational alignment of the components in primary total knee arthroplasty, Clinical differences between Medial Pivot and Posterior-Stabilized designs in total knee arthroplasty, Mid-flexion instability in total knee arthroplasty, Clinical uses of Mesenchymal Stem Cells from human lipoaspirate.
HONORS AND AWARDS
• (2002-2003) Indelli PF: Load-Bearing at the Menisci-Femoral Joint. An in vitro study in the canine knee. Podium Presentation. Resident and Fellow Research Presentations. Arizona Health Science Center, Tucson, Arizona. Winner of the Leonard F. Peltier Excellence in Research Award
• (2002) Winner of the AIRCAST European Traveling Fellowship. Sponsored by The Italian Society of Arthroscopy and The German Orthopaedic Traumatology of Sports
• (2001) Schurman DJ, Indelli PF: Monopolar Radiofrequency Assisted Treatment of Chronic Anterior Cruciate Ligament Instability. Podium Presentation. Fifty-third annual meeting of the Association of Bone and Joint Surgeons. New Orleans, Louisiana, Awarded the most innovative presentation
• (2010) Indelli PF, Baldini A, Cariello D, Marcucci M:Improvements in the Patello-Femoral Articulation in TKA: a CT evaluation of the new PFC Sigma Femoral Component. Podium Presentation. Awarded as Best Paper. 3rd SIGASCOT Annual Meeting (Italian Society Knee Surgery, Arthroscopy, Sport, Cartilage and Orthopaedic Technologies). Verona, Italy
• (2014-2015) Faculty Surgeon. Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Residency Program, NMVAHCS, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico
• Member of ISSNAF (Italian Scientists and Scholars of North America Foundation)
• Member of SIOT (Italian Society of Orthopaedics and Traumatology)
• Board Member of SIGASCOT (Italian Society Knee, Arthroscopy, Cartilage and Orthopaedic Technologies)
• Member of International Meniscus Transplantation Study Group (MTSG)
• Associate Member AAHKS
• Associate Member AAOS
• Member Piedmont Orthopedic Society (Duke Orthopedics Alumni)
1. Indelli PF, Giori N, Maloney W: Level of Constraint in Revision Knee Arthroplasty. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med.2015. doi: 10.1007/s12178-015-9295-9296.
2. Indelli PF, Graceffa A, Payne B, Baldini A, Pipino G, Marcucci M.Relationship between tibial baseplate design and rotational alignment landmarks in primary total knee arthroplasty. Arthritis. 2015.doi: 10.1155/2015/189294
3. Volpe L, Indelli PF, Latella L, Poli P, Yakupoglu KJ, Marcucci M. Periprosthetic Joint Infections (PJI): A Clinical Practice Algorithm. Joints. 2014; 2(4): 169-174.
4. Indelli PF, Marcucci M, Mazzanti C, Graceffa A, Wong CY. Preoperative Doppler ultrasonographic screening in Total Joint Arthroplasty. Official Medical Italiana- Archive for Medical Sciences. 2015; 174(6): 275-280.
5. Latella L, Poli P, Indelli PF, Soviero F, Marcucci M.Post-traumatic non-union of the femoral neck: an alternative treatment method. Minerva Orthopaedics and Traumatology. 2014; 65(6): 395-397.
6. Indelli PF, Marcucci M, Graceffa A, Charlton S, Latella L. Bone Loss in Primary Posterior Stabilized Total Knee Arthroplasty: Analysis of Different Instrumentation. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research. 2014; 9(1): 54.
7. Baldini A, Indelli PF, De Luca L, CerulliMariani PP, Marcucci M: Rotational Alignment of the Tibial Component in Total Knee Arthroplasty: the Anterior Tibial Cortex is a Reliable Landmark. Joints. 2013; 1(4): 155-160.
8. Indelli PF, Marcucci M, Pipino G, Charlton S, Carulli C, Innocenti M. The effects of femoral component design on the patello-femoral joint in a PS total knee arthroplasty. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2014; 134(1): 59-64. doi: 10.1007/s00402-013-1877-4
9. Marcucci M, Indelli PF, Latella L, Poli P, King D: A multimodal approach in total hip arthroplasty preoperative templating. Skeletal Radiology. 2013; 42(9): 1287-1294. doi: 10.1007/s00256-013-1677-5.
10. Indelli PF, Cariello D, Manfredini L, Marcucci M: Contemporary Femoral Designs in Total Knee Arthroplasty: Effects on the Patello-femoral Congruence. International Orthopaedics (SICOT). 2012; 36: 1167–1173. doi: 10.1007/s00264-011-1454-9
11. Indelli PF, Szivek JA, Schnepp A, Grana WA. Load-bearing at the menisco-femoral joint. An in vitro study in the canine knee. Duke Orthopaedic Journal. 2011; 1(1): 39-43.
12. Indelli PF, Vail TP, Grant S, Nielsen N: Regional anaesthesia in major hip surgery. Clinical orthopaedics. 2005; 441: 250-255.
13. Indelli PF, Nisbet JK, Taljanovic MS, Cohen R, Grana WA. Subchondral fracture of the hip caused by axial loading. A case report and review of the literature. The American Journal of Orthopaedics. 2005; 34(4): 198-201.
14. Indelli PF, Dillingham MF, Fanton GS, Schurman DJ. Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Using Cryopreserved Allografts. Clin Orthop. 2012; 420: 268-275.
15. Indelli PF, Vestri R, Szivek JA, Schnepp A, Grana WA: Lascargas distribution in cóndilosfemorales knee . Biomechanical dogs study. Argentina journal Arthroscopy. Spanish) 2004; 11: 1-6.
16. Slullitel D, Malier S, Vaieretti E, et al: The role of the shoulder joint laxity as the cause of disease. Argentina journal Arthroscopy. (Spanish) 2004; 11(1): 32-37.
17. Indelli PF, Dillingham MF, Fanton GS, Schurman DJ: Monopolar Thermal Treatment of Symptomatic Anterior Cruciate Ligament Instability. Clin Ortho. 2003; 407: 139-147.
18. Indelli PF, Aglietti P, Buzzi R, Baldini A: The IB II prosthesis in osteoarthritis: a five to nine-year follow-up study. J Arthroplasty. 2012; 17(5): 544-549.
19. Indelli PF, Dillingham M, Fanton G, Schurman DJ. Septic Arthritis in Postoperative Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Clin Orthop. 398: 182-188.
20. Aglietti P, Baldini A, Buzzi R, Indelli PF: Patella resurfacing in total knee replacement: functional evaluation and complications. Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology Arthroscopy. 2001; [Suppl 1]: S27-S33. doi: 10.1007/s001670000160
21. Marcucci M, Indelli PF: The PCA-E hip prosthesis: a two to five years follow-up study. Italian Journal of Orthopaedics and Traumatology. 1996; XXII: 212-217.
22. Indelli PF. Is normal knee biomechanics reproduced by modern total knee arthroplasty designs? The role of fluoroscopy. Osteol Rheumatol Open J. 2016; 1(1): 6-9. doi: 10.17140/ORHOJ-1-103