Pedro Vendeira, PhD
Vendeira Urological Clinic
Born in 1966, Pedro Alexandre SimõesVendeira graduated as a Medical Doctor in 1990 and earned his PhD in 2001. He became a Board-certified Specialist in Urology in 1999.
Prof. Vendeira has been a full specialist in the Urology Department and Head of the Andrology Department in the Hospital S. João, Oporto, Portugal (2001-2011). Additionally, he has been an Invited Professor at the Faculty of Medicine of Oporto, Portugal, in Molecular Cell Biology and Urology until 2011.
Besides his field of Urological/Andrological Private Practice, Oporto, Portugal, since 2000 (SaúdeAtlântica – Clínica do Dragão- FIFA Medical Centre of Excellence since 2014), he is also a Consultant Urologist/Andrologist/Sexual Medicine Researcher at CETI (Advanced Center for the Study and Treatment of Infertility – Oporto, Portugal) since 2000, Coordinator Researcher/Associate Professor at iSEX – Association for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality – Lisbon, Portugal since 2007, and Associate Research Member at SEXLAB (Research Group in Human Sexuality) at the Laboratory of Human Sexuality Research, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, University of Oporto, Portugal since 2014.
Erectile dysfunction, Ejaculatory disorders,La Peyronie’s disease, Male infertility, Erectile and sexual rehabilitation, Priapism.
1 – As a Medical Student
Prize “Professor Silva Pinto” (1985-1986)
Best student in the discipline of Histology and Embryology
Prize “Tiago de Almeida” (1989-1990)
Best student in the discipline of Medical Clinics
2 – Research awards
• 2000 Portuguese Society of Andrology Research Award – 1st prize
“Evaluation of erectile dysfunction after radical prostatectomy. A comparative study using doppler analysis and the NEVA device in penile hemodynamics before and after treatment with sildenafil”
• 2003 Portuguese Society of Andrology Research Award – 1st prize
“Angiogenesis molecular modulation in a corpus cavernosum rat model. Effects of ageing, diabetes, hypertension and hypercholesterolemia in erectile function”
• 2006 Portuguese Society of Andrology Research Award – Professor Alexandre Moreira – 1st prize
“Functional characterization of autocrine and paracrine angiogenic mechanisms in rat corpus cavernosum models”
• 2007 European Society for Sexual Medicine Grant for Medical Research
“Bone marrow derived-cell treatment for diabetes-associated erectile dysfunction”
• 2008 Portuguese Urological Association Research Award – 1st prize
“Objective changes in the angiogenic gene expression in erectile diabetic tissue. Searching for new therapeutic targets”
• Best Podium Presentation – 2010
The role of intracellular kinases in ageing erectile dysfunction
25th Congress of the European Association of Urology
• Best Portuguese Paper Award – 2010
Microarray screening of angiogenic gene alterations in diabetic cavernosal tissue
10th Congress of the European Federation of Sexology
• Best Poster Presentation – 2010
“Are all metabolic syndrome components responsible for penile hemodynamics impairment in erectile dysfunction patients?”
American Urological Association Annual Congress
San Francisco, USA
• 2010 Portuguese Urological Association Research Award – 1st prize
“Diabetes-associated erectile dysfunction. Evaluation and quantification of molecular changes induced by oxidative stress”
• 2011 European Society for Sexual Medicine Grant for Medical Research
“Erectile dysfunction and diabetes: Does vasculogenesis contribute to cavernosal endothelial repair?”
1. Castela A, Gomes P, Silvestre R, Guardão L, Leite L, Chilro R, Rodrigues I, Vendeira P, Virag R, Costa C. Vasculogenesis and Diabetic Erectile Dysfunction: How Relevant Is Glycemic Control? J Cell Biochem. 2017 Jan;118(1):82-91. doi: 10.1002/jcb.25613. PubMed PMID: 27237706.
2. Castela A, Gomes P, Domingues VF, Paíga P, Costa R, Vendeira P, Costa C. Role of oxidative stress-induced systemic and cavernosal molecular alterations in the progression of diabetic erectile dysfunction. J Diabetes. 2015 May;7(3):393-401. doi: 10.1111/1753-0407.12181. PubMed PMID: 24910190.
3. Hatzimouratidis K, Buvat J, Büttner H, Vendeira PA, Moncada I, Boehmer M, Henneges C, Boess FG. Psychosocial outcomes after initial treatment of erectile dysfunction with tadalafil once daily, tadalafil on demand or sildenafil citrate on demand: results from a randomized, open-label study. Int J Impot Res. 2014 Nov-Dec;26(6):223-9. doi: 10.1038/ijir.2014.15. PubMed PMID: 24784894.
4. Lopes I, Tomada N, Vendeira P. Penile corporoplasty with Yachia’s technique for Peyronie’s disease: Single center experience with 117 patients. Urol Ann. 2013 Jul; 5(3):167-71. doi: 10.4103/0974-7796.115736. PubMed PMID: 24049379; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3764897.
5. Buvat J, Büttner H, Hatzimouratidis K, Vendeira PA, Moncada I, Boehmer M, Henneges C, Boess FG. Adherence to initial PDE-5 inhibitor treatment: randomized open-label study comparing tadalafil once a day, tadalafil on demand, and sildenafil on demand in patients with erectile dysfunction. J Sex Med. 2013
Jun;10(6):1592-602. doi: 10.1111/jsm.12130. PubMed PMID: 23551622.
6. Castela A, Vendeira P, Costa C. Testosterone, endothelial health, and erectile function. ISRN Endocrinol. 2011;2011:839149. doi: 10.5402/2011/839149. PubMed PMID: 22363891; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3262643.
7. Botelho F, Figueiredo L, Leite R, Carvalho A, Tomada N, Vendeira P. Predictive factors of a successful testicular biopsy and subsequent clinical pregnancy. Andrologia. 2012 Aug;44(4):237-42. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0272.2012.01276.x. PubMed PMID: 22272771.
8. Castela Â, Soares R, Rocha F, Medeiros R, Ribeiro R, Monteiro C, Gomes P, Vendeira P, Virag R, Costa C. Differentially expressed angiogenic genes in diabetic erectile tissue – results from a microarray screening. Mol Genet Metab. 2012 Feb;105(2):255-62. doi: 10.1016/j.ymgme.2011.11.002. PubMed PMID: 22133301.
9. Tomada N, Tomada I, Botelho F, Cruz F, Vendeira P. Are all metabolic syndrome components responsible for penile hemodynamics impairment in patients with erectile dysfunction? The role of body fat mass assessment. J Sex Med. 2011 Mar;8(3):831-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2010.02122.x. PubMed PMID: 21091885.
10. Castela A, Soares R, Rocha F, Vendeira P, Virag R, Costa C. Erectile tissue molecular alterations with aging: differential activation of the p42/44 MAP Kinase pathway. Age (Dordr). 2011 Jun;33(2):119-30. doi: 10.1007/s11357-010-9167-3. PubMed PMID: 20628826; PubMed Central PMCID:PMC3127464.
11. Tomada N, Tomada I, Cruz F, Vendeira P, Neves D. Characterization of VEGF and angiopoietins expression in human corpus cavernosum during aging. J Sex Med. 2010 Apr;7(4 Pt 1):1410-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2009.01648.x. PubMed PMID: 20059658.
12. Tomada N, Tomada I, Vendeira P, Neves D. Expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and angiopoietins in human corpus cavernosum. BJU Int. 2010 Jan;105(2):269-73. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2009.08663.x. PubMed PMID: 19583734.
13. Costa C, Soares R, Castela A, Adães S, Hastert V, Vendeira P, Virag R. Increased endothelial apoptotic cell density in human diabetic erectile tissue–comparison with clinical data. J Sex Med. 2009 Mar;6(3):826-35. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2008.01110.x. PubMed PMID: 19067790.
14. Costa C, Vendeira P. Does erectile tissue angioarchitecture modify with aging? An immunohistological and morphometric approach. J Sex Med. 2008 Apr;5(4):833-40. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2007.00753.x. PubMed PMID: 18221283.
15. Neves D, Santos J, Tomada N, Almeida H, Vendeira P. Aging and orchidectomy modulate expression of VEGF receptors (Flt-1 and Flk-1) on corpus cavernosum of the rat. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2006 May;1067:164-72. PubMed PMID: 16803982.
16. Gomes J, Vendeira P, Reis M. [Priapism]. Acta Med Port. 2003 Nov-Dec;16(6):421-8. Portuguese. PubMed PMID: 15631854.
17. Gomes J, Vendeira P, Ribau U, Reis M. [Urolithiasis and renal colic. Therapeutic approach in urology]. Acta Med Port. 2002 Sep-Oct;15(5):369-80.Review. Portuguese. PubMed PMID: 12645222.
18. Pignatelli D, Ferreira J, Vendeira P, Magalhães MC, Vinson GP. Proliferation of capsular stem cells induced by ACTH in the rat adrenal cortex. Endocr Res.2002 Nov;28(4):683-91. PubMed PMID: 12530684.
19. Vendeira P, Pignatelli D, Neves D, Magalhães MM, Magalhães MC, Vinson GP. Effects of prolonged infusion of basic fibroblast growth factor and IGF-I on adrenocortical differentiation in the autotransplanted adrenal: an immunohistochemical study. J Endocrinol. 1999 Jul;162(1):21-9. PubMed PMID: 10396017.
20. Vendeira P, Guimarães M, Silva C, Cruz F, Reis M. Extra-adrenal phechromocytoma and renal cell carcinoma–an unusual case of tumour synchronism. Scand J Urol Nephrol. 1999 Apr;33(2):133-5. PubMed PMID: 10360458.
21. Pignatelli D, Vendeira P, Cabral AC. Adrenal incidentalomas: adrenal hemangioma in a patient with congenital adrenal hyperplasia. South Med J. 1998 Aug;91(8):775-9. PubMed PMID: 9715230.
22. Vendeira P, Neves D, Magalhães MM, Magalhães MC. Modulation of autotransplanted adrenal gland by endothelin-1: a morphological and biochemical study. Anat Rec. 1996 Sep;246(1):98-106. PubMed PMID: 8876828.
23. Vendeira P, Pignatelli D, Neves D, Magalhães MM, Magalhães MC, Ho MM, Vinson GP. New insights into zonal differentiation of adrenal autotransplants in the rat: an immunohistochemical study. J Endocrinol. 1996 Jun;149(3):497-502. PubMed PMID: 8691108.
24. Vendeira P, Magalhães MM, Magalhães MC. Autotransplantation of the adrenal cortex: a morphological and autoradiographic study. Anat Rec. 1992 Feb;232(2):262-72. PubMed PMID: 1546804.