Paul Macdermid, PhD
School of Sport and Exercise
Private Bag 11-222
Palmerston North 4474
• Doctorate (Completion due 2015): Physiological and mechanical investigation into cross country mountain biking. Massey University, New Zealand
• Postgrad Degree: MSc Exercise Physiology (Loughborough University, UK)
• Postgraduate Qualification: Postgraduate Certificate in Education, (Nottingham Trent University, UK)
• Undergraduate Degree: BSc Sport Science and Admininstartion (Nottingham Trent University, UK)
• As an elite sports person paul representing GB in whitewater slalom kayaking (a long time ago) but moved into the coaching scene at an elite level for this sport and at the same time into teaching (its been 20 years now).
His research interests include: Performance aspects of cross country mountain biking.
Dr. Macdermid helped out different athletes to compete at World Champs level since 2005 for Cross Country Mountain Biking, Athletics, Whitewater Slalom, Whitewater racing, and Flatwater Canoeing.
1. Macdermid PW, Fink PW, Stannard SR. The influence of tyre characteristics on measures of rolling performance during cross-country mountain biking. J Sports Sci. 2014: 1-9. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2014.942682
2. Macdermid PW, Fink PW, Stannard SR. Transference of 3D accelerations during cross country mountain biking. Journal of biomechanics. 2014; 47(8): 1829-1837. doi: 0.1016/j.jbiomech.2014.03.024
3. Raman A, Macdermid PW, Mündel T, Mann M, Stannard SR. The Effects of Carbohydrate Loading 48 Hours Prior to a Simulated Squash Match. Int J Sport Nutr Exe. 2013. doi: 10.1123/ijsnem.2013-0108
4. Macdermid PW, Stannard S. Mechanical work and physiological responses to simulated cross country mountain bike racing. Journal of Sports Sciences. 2012; 30(14): 1491-1501.doi: 10.1080/02640414.2012.711487
Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2012.711487
5. Macdermid PW, Stannard S, Rankin D, Shillington D. A comparative analysis between the effects of galactose and glucose supplementation on endurance performance. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 2012; 22(1): 24-30.
6. Macdermid PW, Morton RH. A longitudinal analysis of start position and the outcome of world cup cross-country mountain bike racing. Journal of Sports Sciences. 2011; 30(2): 175-182. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2011.627368
Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2011.627368
7. Macdermid PW, Mann ME. An integrated analysis of leg length differences and the effect of correctional techniques on stroke mechanics and performance indicators in competitive cyclists. Sport Exerc Med Open J. 2015; 2(1): 14-21. doi: 10.17140/SEMOJ-1-103
8. Macdermid PW, Macdermid FM. The interventional use of water treadmill running during long periods of injury. Sport Exerc Med Open J. 2015; 1(6): 174-181. doi: 10.17140/SEMOJ-1-127