Otto Lok Tao Lam, BSc, BDS, PhD
Clinical Assistant Professor
Oral Rehabilitation of the Faculty of Dentistry
The University of Hong Kong
Pokfulam, Hong Kong, China
Dr. Lam received his PhD from Oral Rehabilitation, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong (HKU). He also previously received his BDS at HKU, and his BSc (microbiology) at The University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. He is currently a Clinical Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Dentistry, HKU, and his research interests include oral rehabilitation of patients following stroke, geriatric dentistry, and oral microbiology of medically compromised patients. He is currently engaged in research studies involving oral health promotion interventions among patients following stroke, and elders under long- term institutional care.
His research interests include: Cerebrovascular disease, gerodontology, oral microbiology, oral health promotion.
•(2011) International Association for Dental Research – Lion Dental Research Award for Junior Investigators
•(2012) Postgraduate Research Output Prize (Faculty of Dentistry, HKU)
1. Lam OL, Zhang W, Samaranayake LP, Li LS, McGrath C. A systematic review of the effectiveness of oral health promotion activities among patients with cardiovascular disease. International journal of cardiology. 2011; 151(3): 261-267. doi:10.1016/j.ijcard.2010.11.014.
2. Lam OL, McGrath C, Li LS, Samaranayake LP. Effectiveness of oral hygiene interventions against oral and oropharyngeal reservoirs of aerobic and facultatively anaerobic gram-negative bacilli. American journal of infection control. 2012; 40(2): 175-182. doi:10.1016/j.ajic.2011.03.004.
3. Lam OL, McGrath C, Bandara HM, Li LS, Samaranayake LP. Oral health promotion interventions on oral reservoirs of Staphylococcus aureus: a systematic review. Oral diseases. 2012; 18(3): 244-254. doi:10.1111/j.1601-0825.2011.01874.x.
4. Lam OL, Bandara HM, Samaranayake LP, McGrath C, Li LS. Oral health promotion interventions on oral yeast in hospitalised and medically compromised patients: a systematic review. Mycoses. 2012; 55(2): 123-142. doi:10.1111/j.1439-0507.2011.02062.x.
5. Lam OL, McMillan AS, Samaranayake LP, Li LS, McGrath C. Effect of oral hygiene interventions on opportunistic pathogens in patients after stroke. American journal of infection control. 2012; 40: 175-182. doi:10.1016/j.ajic.2012.02.020.
6. Bandara HM, Lam OL, Watt RM, Jin LJ, Samaranayake LP. Bacterial lipopolysaccharides variably modulate in vitro biofilm formation of Candida species. Journal of Medical Microbiology. 2010; 59(Pt 10): 1225-1234. doi:10.1099/jmm.0.021832-0.
7. McGrath C, Lam O, Lang N. An evidence-based review of patient-reported outcome measures in dental implant research among dentate subjects. Journal of clinical periodontology. 2012; 39(Suppl 12): 193-201. doi:10.1111/j.1600-051X.2011.01841.x.
8. Bandara HM, Lam OL, Jin LJ, Samaranayake L. Microbial chemical signaling: a current perspective. Critical reviews in microbiology. 2012; 38(3): 217-249. doi:10.3109/1040841X.2011.652065
9. Lam OL, McMillan AS, Samaranayake LP, Li LS, McGrath C. Randomized clinical trial of oral health promotion interventions among patients following stroke. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2013; 94: 435-443. doi:10.1016/j.apmr.2012.10.024
10. Lam OL, McMillan AS, Samaranayake LP, Li LS, McGrath C. Predictors of oral health-related quality of life in patients following stroke. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2014; 46(5): 520-526. doi:10.2340/16501977-1806
11. Dai R, Lam OL, Lo ECM, Li LSW, Wen Y, McGrath C. A systematic review and meta-analysis of clinical, microbiological, and behavioural aspects of oral health among patients with stroke. Journal of Dentistry. 2014. doi:10.1016/j.jdent.2014.06.005.
12. Dai R, Lam OL, Lo ECM, Li LSW, Wen Y, McGrath C. Orofacial functional impairments among patients following stroke: a systematic review.Oral Diseases. 2014. doi:10.1111/odi.12274
13. Chen Z, Feng S, Pow EH, Lam OL, Mai S, Wang H. Organic anion composition of human whole saliva as determined by ion chromatography.Clinica Chimica Acta. 2014; 438C: 231-235. doi:10.1016/j.cca.2014.08.027