Mohammed Elfaramawi, MD, PhD, MPH, MSc
Department of Epidemiology
College of Public Health
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
4301 West Markham St
Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Dr. Elfaramawi extensive experience in designing epidemiologic studies: cross-sectional, case-control, nested case-control, cohort and randomized clinical trials. He has participated in designing and analyzing clinical trials funded by the WHO. These tirals aimed at controlling hypertension in middle- and low-income countries; he has contributed in the dissemination of the findings of these clinicla trials to healthy policy makers around the world. He teach epidemiology and direct a research program focused on designing and analyzing data collected from epidemiological studies conducted on the US population. In his career, he has published 30 peer-reviewed articles; 14 of these articles are related to cardiovascular diseases and their risk factors. In addition to my experience in the field of epidemiology, he have a strong quantitative background; he is capable of using many software packages (SAS, Stata and R) to perform advanced statistical analyses such as Hierarchical, Generalized Estimation Equation, Generalized Linear and Survival Analysis (parametric and non-parametric) models.
His research interest includes: To identify risk factors of complex human diseases such as cardiovascular diseases and cancer and quantify their associations with these diseases.
• (2007) Received an award for the outstanding achievement and commitment to excellence in competitive research for the year 2007, Menofiya, University, Egypt
• American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
• American College of Epidemiology
1. Jadhav S, Chedjieu IP, Faramawi MF, et al. Non-cancer mortality in workers in the meat and delicatessen departments of supermarkets (1950-2006). Environmental research. 2015; 142: 155-160. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2015.06.030
2. Johnosn ES, Cardarelli K, Jadhav S, et al. Cancer mortality in the meat and delicatessen departments of supermarkets (1950-2006). Environ Int. 2015; 77: 70-75. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2015.01.009.
3. Faramawi MF, Delongchamp R, Qayyim S, Jadhav S, Abouelenein S. Metabolic syndrome is associated with visit-to-visit systolic blood pressure variability in the US adults. Hypertension Research. 2014; 37(9): 875-879. doi: 10.1038/hr.2014.89.
4. Faramawi MF, Gandhi S, Caffrey JL, Felini M, Bae S, Singh KP. Trends in waist to thigh ratio among adults in USA. In: Chan F, Marinova D, Anderssen RS, eds. MODSIM2013, 21th International Congress on Modeling and Simulation. Society of Australia and New Zealand, Adelaide, Australia, 1-6 December 2013 www.mssanz.org.au/modsim2013
5. Khaleel A, Faramawi MF, et al. The role of osteoponten in diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma among patients with radiological hepatic focal lesions. Tumori. 2013; 99(1): 100-107.
6. Lin YS, Caffrey JL, Lin JW, et al. Increased risk of cancer mortality associated with cadmium exposures in older americans with low zinc intake. J Toxicol Environ Health A. 2013; 76(1): 1-15. doi: 10.1080/15287394.2012.722185
7. Lin YS, Caffrey JL, Hsu PC, Chang MH, Faramawi MF, Lin JW. Environmental exposure to dioxin-like compounds and the mortality risk in the U.S. population. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2012; 215(6): 541-546. doi: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2012.02.006
8. Faramawi MF, Liu Y, Caffrey JL, Lin YS, Gandhi S, Singh KP. The association between urinary cadmium and frontal T wave axis deviation in the US adults. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2012; 215(3): 406-410. doi: 10.1016/j.ijheh.2011.11.013
9. Felini M, Preacely N, Shah N, et al. A case-cohort study of lung cancer in poultry and control workers: occupational findings. Occup Environ Med. 2012; 69(3): 191-197. doi: 10.1136/oemed-2011-100310
10. Ojha RP, Felini MJ, Singh KP, Faramawi MF, Thertulien R. Radiation therapy for localized or locally advanced prostate adenocarcinoma and myeloma incidence in a population-based cohort. BJU Int. 2011; 107(5): 693-697. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.09976.x
11. Johnson ES, Ndetan H, Felini MJ, et al. Mortality in workers employed in pig abattoirs and processing plants. Environ Res. 2011; 111(6): 871-876. doi: 10.1016/j.envres.2011.06.003
12. Johnson ES, Faramawi MF, Sall M, Choi KM. Cancer and Noncancer Mortality Among American Seafood Workers. J Epidemiol. 2011; 21(3): 204-210. doi: 10.2188/jea.JE20100147
13. Faramawi MF, Caffrey JL, Amanzadeh J, Sharpa LD, Qualls-Hampton R. Cystatin C estimated renal dysfunction predicts T wave axis deviation in US adults: results from NHANES III. Eur J Epidemiol. 2011; 26(2): 101-107. doi: 10.1007/s10654-010-9534-5
14. Abdel-Rahman MH, Christopher BN, Faramawi MF, et al. Frequency, molecular pathology and potential clinical significance of partial chromosome 3 aberrations in uveal melanoma. Mod Pathol. 2011; 24(7): 954-962. doi: 10.1038/modpathol.2011.51
15. Faramawi MF, Johnson E, Chen S, Pannala PR. The incidence of hepatitis E virus infection in the general population of the USA. Epidemiol Infect. 2011; 139(8): 1145-1150. doi: 10.1017/S0950268810002177
16. Mendis S, Johnston SC, Fan W, Oladapo O, Cameron A, Faramawi MF. Cardiovascular risk management and its impact on hypertension control in primary care in low-resource settings: a cluster-randomized trial. Bull World Health Organ. 2010; 88(6): 412-419. doi: 10.2471/BLT.08.062364
17. Faramawi, MF, Caffrey, James L. Linking higher physical activity to lower serum cystatin C among US adults. Journal of Public Health. 2010; 18: 515-521. doi: 10.1007/s10389-010-0341-y
18. Abbas OM, Omar NA, Zaghla HE, Faramawi MF. Schistosoma mansoni coinfection could have a protective effect against mixed cryoglobulinaemia in hepatitis C patients. Liver Int. 2009; 29(7): 1065-1070. doi: 10.1111/j.1478-3231.2009.01970.x.
19. Faramawi MF, Wildman RP, Gustat J, Rice J, Abdul Kareem MY. The association of the metabolic syndrome with QTc interval in NHANES III. Eur J Epidemiol. 2008; 23(7): 459-465. doi: doi: 10.1007/s10654-008-9252-4
20. Faramawi MF, Sall M, Abdul Kareem MY. The association of the metabolic syndrome with T-wave axis deviation in NHANES III. Ann Epidemiol. 2008; 18(9): 702-707. doi: doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2008.06.002
21. Johnson ES, Zhou Y, Sall M, et al. Non-malignant Disease Mortality in Meat Workers – A Model for Studying the Role of Zoonotic Transmissible Agents in Non-malignant Chronic Diseases in Humans. Occup Environ Med. 2007;64(12):849-55. doi: 10.1136/oem.2006.030825
22. Faramawi MF, Johnson E, Fry MW, Sall M, Zhou Y. Consumption of different types of meat and the risk of renal cancer: meta-analysis of case-control studies. Cancer Causes Control. 2007; 18(2): 125-133. doi: 10.1007/s10552-006-0104-9
23. Faramawi MF, Gustat J, Wildman RP, Rice J, Johnson E, Sherwin R. Relation between depressive symptoms and common carotid artery atherosclerosis in American persons > or =65 years of age. Am J Cardiol. 2007; 99(11): 1610-1613. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2006.12.090