Mohammad Ejaz Ahmed
Department of Neurology
Medical Science Building University of Missouri
School of Medicine 1 Hospital Drive Columbia, MO 65211
Currently, Mohammad Ejaz Ahmed working as a Postdoctoral Researcher at the Department of Neurology, University of Missouri, USA. His research deals with the regulation of inflammation in the central system that is critical to our understanding of a broad spectrum of neurodegenerative disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, cerebral stroke, and Traumatic brain injury. his scientific work has been published in peer-reviewed international journals of high impact factor. After completion of his PhD in 2014, He has joined Augusta University, Georgia as a postdoctoral research fellow. He is worked was focus on the role of Low-Level Laser therapy in cerebral stroke associated with neuronal cell death. I have published multiple of paper in a peer review journal. His current publications are mainly preclinical and behavioral studies but partially involve cellular and molecular studies, too.
• Alzheimer’s disease (AD)
• Parkinson’s disease (PD)
• Cerebral stroke
• Neonatal hypoxia
• Traumatic brain injury
• Glia maturation factor and neuroinflammation
AWARDS, HONORS, and SCHOLARSHIP
• Consolation prize for the best poster Presentation in National Symposium on Neurosciences and its Future Prospectus (NFP-2014) held on Feb 15, 2014, organized by Interdisciplinary Brain Research Centre Faculty of Medicine Aligarh Muslim University Aligarh (UP).
• My poster selected and got Call for Submissions Poster Competition 28th Annual Caring for the Frail Elderly ConferenceAugust 17-18, 2018 The Holiday Inn Executive Center, Columbia, Missouri (USA)
• Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) funded by University Grant Commission-Special Assistant Program–Basic Science Research (UGC-SAP-BSR) Fellowship for meritorious students. Feb 2012 to Feb 2014.
• Awarded with Senior Research Fellow (SRF) by Indian Council Of Medical Research (ICMR), Govt of India, 2012 (Not availed)
• Hamdard National Foundation (HNF) Scholarship for the Ph.D. student since 2010-2012 Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi India
• Hamdard Student Aid Fund for MSc Student in 2007. Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi India
• Travel award for attending 5 days’ Workshop on “Advance Research Techniques in Neurological Disorders” from 3rd -7 January 2012 Organized by Central Institute of Medical Sciences (CIIMS) Nagpur India.
• Membership of Society of Neuroscience, USA (SFN)
• Membership of Society for Neurochemistry, India (SNCI)
• Membership of Society for Free Radical Research-India (SFRR)
1. Ahmed ME, Iyer S, Thangavel R, Kempuraj D, Selvakumar GP, Raikwar S, Zaheer S, Zaheer A. Co-localization of Glia maturation Factor with NLRP3 inflammasome and auto phagosome markers in human Alzheimer’s disease brain. J Alzheimers Dis. 60 (2017) 1143–1160
2. Ahmed ME, Donovan Tucker, Yan Dong, Yujiao Lu, Ningjun Zhao, Ruimin Wang, Quanguang Zhang. Methylene blue promotes cortical neurogenesis and ameliorates behavioral deficit after photothrombotic stroke in rats. Neuroscience http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2016.08.036)
3. Ahmed ME, Yan Dong, Yujiao Lu, Donovan Tucker, Ningjun Zhao, Quanguang Zhang. Beneficial effects of a CaMKIIα inhibitor tatCN21 peptide in global cerebral ischemia. journal of Molecular Neuroscience, DOI 10.1007/s12031-016-0830-8).
4. Ahmed ME, Khan MM, Javed H, Vaibhav K, Khan A, Tabassum R, Ashafaq M, Islam F, Safhi MM, Islam F. Amelioration of cognitive impairment and neurodegeneration by catechin hydrate in rat model of streptozotocin-induced experimental dementia of Alzheimer’s type. Neurochem Int. 2013 62(4), 492-501.
5. Ahmed ME, Javed H, Khan MM, Vaibhav K, Ahmad A, Khan A, Tabassum R, Islam F, Safhi MM, Islam F. Attenuation of oxidative damage-associated cognitive decline by Withania somnifera in rat model of streptozotocin-induced cognitive impairment. Protoplasma. 2013, 250(5):1067-7
6. Ahmed ME, Donovan T, Yujio L, Zhang Q. Mitochondrial Targeted Antioxidant in Cerebral Ischemia. Journal of Neurol Neuroscience. 2015; 6(2). pii:17.
7. Mohammad Ejaz Ahmed, Govindhasamy Pushpavathi Selvakumar, Duraisamy Kempuraj Ramasamy Thangavel, Sudhanshu P. Raikwar, Iuliia Dubova, Smita Zaheer, Shankar Iyer, Asgar Zaheer. Glia maturation factor (GMF) disrupts mitochondrial dynamics by altering fission and fusion proteins in Aβ (1-42) treated human neuroblastoma (SH-SY5Y) cell line (Communicated)
8. Selvakumar GP, Iyer SS, Kempuraj D, Raju M, Thangavel R, Saeed D, Ahmed ME, Zahoor H, Raikwar SP, Zaheer S , Zaheer A. Glia Maturation Factor Dependent Inhibition of Mitochondrial PGC-1α Triggers Oxidative Stress Mediated Apoptosis in N27 Rat Dopaminergic Neuronal Cells. Molecular Neurobiology. 2018 Jan 30. doi: 10.1007/s12035-018-0882-6. [Epub ahead of print].
9. Selvakumar GP, Iyer SS, Kempuraj D, Ahmed ME, Thangavel R, Dubova I, Raikwar SP, Zaheer S, Zaheer A. Molecular association of Glia maturation factor with autophagic machinery in rat dopaminergic neurons: a role for endoplasmic reticulam stress and MAPK activation. Mol Neurobiol. 2018 Sep 14. doi: 10.1007/s12035-018-1340-1.
10. Kempuraj D, Selvakumar GP, Thangavel R, Ahmed ME, Zaheer S, Kumar KK, Yelam A, Kaur H, Dubova I, Raikwar SP, Iyer SS, Zaheer A. Glia Maturation Factor and Mast Cell-Dependent Expression of Inflammatory Mediators and Proteinase
Activated Receptor-2 in Neuroinflammation. J Alzheimers Dis. 2018 Oct 26. doi: 10.3233/JAD-180786
11. Raikwar SP, Thangavel R, Dubova I, Selvakumar GP, Ahmed ME, Kempuraj D, Zaheer S, Iyer SS, Zaheer A. Targeted Gene Editing of Glia Maturation Factor in Microglia: A Novel Alzheimer’s Disease Therapeutic Target. Mol Neurobiol. 2018 Apr 27. doi: 10.1007/s12035-018-1068-y. [Epub ahead of print]
12. Raikwar, S.P., Bhagavan, S.M., Ramaswamy, S.B., Thangavel, R., Dubova, I., Selvakumar G.P., Ahmed ME, Kempuraj, D, Iyer, S.S., Zaheer, S., and Zaheer, A. (2018): Are Tanycytes the missing link between Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer’s Disease? Mol. Mol Neurobiol. 2018. doi: 10.1007/s12035-018-1123-8. [Epub ahead of print] Review.
13. Raikwar SP, Thangavel R, Dubova I, Ahmed ME, Selvakumar PG, Kempuraj D , Zaheer S, Iyer S, Zaheer A. Neuro-Immuno-Gene- and Genome-Editing-Therapy for Alzheimer’s Disease: Are We There Yet? Alzheimer’s Dis. 2018,. doi: 10.3233/JAD-180422.
14. Thangavel R, Bhagavan SM, Ramaswamy SB, Surpur S, Govindarajan R, Kempuraj D, Zaheer S, Raikwar S, Ahmed ME, Selvakumar GP, Iyer SS, Zaheer A. Co-Expression of Glia Maturation Factor and Apo lipoprotein E4 in Alzheimer’s disease Brain. J Alzheimers Dis.2018; 61(2):553-560.
15. Kempuraj D, Thangavel R, Selvakumar GP, Ahmed ME, Zaheer S, Raikwar SP, Zahoor H, Saeed D, Dubova I, Giler G, Herr S, Iyer SS, Zaheer A. Mast Cell Proteases Activate Astrocytes and Glia-Neurons and Release Interleukin-33 by Activating p38 and ERK1/2 MAPKs and NF-κB. Mol Neurobiol. 2018 Jun, doi: 10.1007/s12035-018-1177-7. [Epub ahead of print]
16. Thangavel R, Kempuraj D, Zaheer S, Raikwar S, Ahmed ME, Selvakumar GP, Iyer SS, Zaheer A. Glia Maturation Factor and Mitochondrial Uncoupling Proteins 2 and 4 Expression in the Temporal Cortex of Alzheimer’s Disease Brain. Front Aging Neurosci. 2017 May 18; 9:150.
17. Kempuraj D, Selvakumar GP, Zaheer S, Thangavel R, Ahmed ME, Raikwar S, Govindarajan R, Iyer S, Zaheer A. Cross-Talk between Glia, Neurons and Mast Cells in Neuroinflammation Associated with Parkinson’s Disease. J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2017 Sep 26. doi: 10.1007/s11481-017-9766-1. [Epub ahead of print]
18. Kempuraj D, Thangavel R, Selvakumar GP, Zaheer S, Ahmed ME, Raikwar SP, Zahoor H, Saeed D, Natteru PA, Iyer S, Zaheer A. Brain and Peripheral Atypical Inflammatory Mediators Potentiate Neuroinflammation and Neurodegeneration. Front Cell Neurosci. 2017 Jul 2;11:216. doi: 10.3389/fncel.2017.00216.
19. Kempuraj D, Selvakumar GP, Thangavel R, Ahmed ME, Zaheer S, Raikwar SP, Iyer SS, Bhagavan SM, Beladakere-Ramaswamy S, Zaheer A. Mast Cell Activation in Brain Injury, Stress, and Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and Alzheimer’s Disease Pathogenesis. Front Neurosci. 2017 Dec 12;11:703.
20. Govindhasamy Pushpavathi Selvakumar, Duraisamy Kempuraj, Ramasamy Thangavel, Mohammad Ejaz Ahmed, Smita Zaheer, Shankar S Iyer and Asgar Zaheer. Attenuation of Glia Maturation Factor Enhances Mitochondrial Biogenesis, Decreases Oxidative Stress and Apoptotic Cell Death in N27 Dopaminergic Neurons. April 2017 FASEB Journal vol. 31 no. 1 Supplement 936.6 (Abstract published)
21. Ningjun Zhao, & Xiaoying Zhuo, & Yujiao Lu, Yan Dong, Mohammad Ejaz Ahmed, Donovan Tucker, Erin L. Scott, Quanguang Zhang. Intranasal Delivery of a
Caspase-1 Inhibitor in the Treatment of Global Cerebral Ischemia. Mol Neurobiol. 2016. DOI 10.1007/s12035-016-0034-9 22. Yujiao Lu, Ruimin Wang, Yan Dong, Donovan Tucker, Ningjun Zhao, Md. Ejaz Ahmed, Ling Zhu, Chengyi Liu, Robert Cohen, and Quanguang Zhang. Low-level Laser Therapy for Beta-Amyloid Toxicity in Rat Hippocampus”. Neurobiology of Ageing. 49 (2017) 165e182.
23. Lu Y, Dong Y, Tucker D, Wang R, Ahmed ME, Brann D, Zhang Q. Treadmill Exercise Exerts Neuroprotection and Regulates Microglial Polarization and Oxidative Stress in a Streptozotocin-Induced Rat Model of Sporadic Alzheimer’s disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2017 Feb 1. doi: 10.3233/JAD-160869. [Epub ahead of print]
24. Javed H, Vaibhav K, Ahmed ME, Khan A, Tabassum R, Islam F, Safhi MM Islam F. Effect of hesperidin on neurobehavioral, neuroinflammation, oxidative stress and lipid alteration in intracerebroventricular streptozotocin induced cognitive impairment in mice. Journal of the Neurological Sciences 348 (2015) 51–59
25. Javed H, Khan A, Vaibhav K, Moshahid Khan M, Ahmad A, Ahmad ME, Ahmad A, Tabassum R, Islam F, Safhi MM, Islam F. Taurine ameliorates neurobehavioral, neurochemical and immunohistochemical changes in sporadic dementia of Alzheimer’s type (SDAT) caused by intracerebroventricular streptozotocin in rats. Neurol Sci. 2013, 34(12):2181-92.
26. Javed H, Khan MM, Ahmad A, Vaibhav K, Ahmad ME, Khan A, Ashafaq M, Islam F, Siddiqui MS, Safhi MM, Islam F. Rutin prevents cognitive impairments by ameliorating oxidative stress and neuroinflammation in rat model of sporadic dementia of Alzheimer type. Neuroscience. 2012 .17, 210:340-52.
27. Javed H, Khan MM, Khan A, Vaibhav K, Ahmad A, Khuwaja G, Ahmed ME, Raza SS, Ashafaq M, Tabassum R, Siddiqui MS, El-Agnaf OM, Safhi MM, Islam F.S-allyl cysteine attenuates oxidative stress associated cognitive impairment and neurodegeneration in mouse model of streptozotocin-induced experimental dementia of Alzheimer’s type. Brain Res. 2011; 1389,133-42
28. Tabassum R, Vaibhav K, Shrivastava P, Khan A, Ahmed ME, Ashafaq M, Khan MB, Islam F, Safhi MM, Islam F. Perillyl alcohol improves functional and histological outcomes against ischemia-reperfusion injury by attenuation of oxidative stress and repression of COX-2, NOS-2 and NF-κB in middle cerebral artery occlusion rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2015,15;747:190-9
29. Tabassum R, Vaibhav K, Shrivastava P, Khan A, Ejaz Ahmed M, Javed H, Islam F, Ahmad S, Saeed Siddiqui M, Safhi MM, Islam F. Centella asiatica attenuates the neurobehavioral, neurochemical and histological changes in transient focal middle cerebral artery occlusion rats. Neurol Sci. 2013, 34(6):925-33
30. Vaibhav K, Shrivastava P, Tabassum R, Khan A, Javed H, Ahmed ME, Islam F, Safhi MM, Islam F. Delayed administration of zingerone mitigates the behavioral and histological alteration via repression of oxidative stress and intrinsic programmed cell death in focal transient ischemic rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2013, 15;113:53-62
31. Vaibhav K, Shrivastava P, Khan A, Javed H, Tabassum R, Ahmed ME, Khan MB, Moshahid Khan M, Islam F, Ahmad S, Siddiqui MS, Safhi MM, Islam F.Azadirachta indica mitigates behavioral impairments, oxidative damage, histological alterations and apoptosis in focal cerebral ischemia-reperfusion model of rats. Neurol Sci.2013, 34(8):1321-30
32. Vaibhav K, Shrivastava P, Javed H, Khan A, Ahmed ME, Tabassum R, Khan MM, Khuwaja G, Islam F, Siddiqui MS, Safhi MM, Islam F Piperine suppresses cerebral ischemia-reperfusion-induced inflammation through the repression of COX-2, NOS-2, and NF-κB in middle cerebral artery occlusion rat model. Mol Cell Biochem. 2012. 367(1-2),73-84
33. Khan A , Vaibhav K , Javed H, Tabassum R, Ahmed ME, Khan, MM. Khan MB, Shrivastava P, Islam F, Siddiqui MS, Safhi MM, •1,8-Cineole (Eucalyptol) Mitigates Inflammation in Amyloid Beta Toxicated PC12 Cells: Relevance to Alzheimer’s Disease. Neurochem Res. 2014, 39(2):344-52
34. Khan A, Vaibhav K, Javed H, Khan MM, Tabassum R, Ahmed ME, Srivastava P, Khuwaja G, Islam F, Siddiqui MS, Shafi MM, Islam F Attenuation of Aβ-induced neurotoxicity by thymoquinone via inhibition of mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress. Mol Cell Biochem. 2012. 369(1-2):55-65.
35. Khan A, Vaibhav K, Javed H, Khan M.M, Tabassum R, Ahmed ME, Raza SS, Ashafaq M, Khuwaja G, Gupta V, Deora A.K, Pant A.B, Siddiqui M.S, Islam F. 2011. Neuroprotective effect of Bellis perennis and Hypericum perforatum on PC 12 cells. Indian journal of Research in Homeopathy. 5(3):0-44.
36. Khan A, Farah Islam, Gulrana Khuwaja, Tauheed Ishrat, Kumar Vaibhav, Hayat Javed, Rizwana Tabassum, Md. Ejaz Ahmed, Badaruzaman Khan, Minakshi Das, Fakhrul Islam.Protective effect of Zincum Metallicum on rat model of Parkinson’s disease. Indian journal of Research in Homeopathy 2014. DOI: 10.4103/0974-7168.159528.
37. Chander K, Vaibhav K, Ahmed ME, Javed H, Tabassum R, Khan A, Kumar M, Katyal A, Islam F, Siddiqui MS. Quercetin mitigates lead acetate-induced behavioral and histological alterations via suppression of oxidative stress, Hsp-70, Bak and upregulation of Bcl-2. Food Chem Toxicol. 2014 Feb 13. pii: S0278-6915(14)00092-1. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2014.02.012.
38. Khan MB, Khan MM, Khan A, Ahmed ME, Ishrat T, Tabassum R, Vaibhav K, Ahmad A, Islam F. Naringenin ameliorates Alzheimer’s disease (AD)-type neurodegeneration with cognitive impairment (AD-TNDCI) caused by the intracerebroventricular-streptozotocin in rat model. Neurochem Int. 2012. 61(7), 1081-93.
39. Ashafaq M, Raza SS, Khan MM, Ahmad A, Javed H, Ahmad ME, Tabassum R, Islam F, Siddiqui MS, Safhi MM, Islam F. Catechin hydrate ameliorates redox imbalance and limits inflammatory response in focal cerebral ischemia. Neurochem Res. 2012 , 37(8):1747-60.
40. Ahmad A, Khan MM, Hoda MN, Raza SS, Khan MB, Javed H, Ishrat T, Ashafaq M, Ahmad ME, Safhi MM, Islam F Quercetin protects against oxidative stress associated damages in a rat model of transient focal cerebral ischemia and reperfusion. Neurochem Res. 2011 Aug; 36 (8), 1360-71.
41. Raouf GAM, Kumar Vaibhav, Andleeb Khan, Rizwana Tabassum , Ahmed ME, Hayate Javed & Krishan Chander & Fakhrul Islam & M Saeed Siddiqui. Terminalia arjuna bark extract inhibits histological alterations by mitigating oxidative stress in lead intoxicated mice. Orient Pharm Exp Med DOI 10.1007/s13596-013-0112-8