Mark W. Green, MD, FAAN
Department of Neurology, Anesthesiology and Rehabilitation Medicine
Director of Headache and Pain Medicine
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
5 East 98th Street, 7th Floor, Box 1139
New York, NY 10029-6574, USA
Dr. Green is the Director of Headache and Pain Medicine and Professor of Neurology, Anesthesiology, and Rehabilitation Medicine at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. He came to Mount Sinai from Columbia University in 2009, where he was Director of Headache Medicine and Clinical Professor of Neurology (in Neurology, Anesthesiology and Dentistry) at the College of Physicians and Surgeons and the College of Dental Medicine. He is certified in Neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, were he is a fellow, and in Headache Medicine through the United Council for Neurologic Subspecialties.
Dr. Green graduated from Case Western Reserve University, and then received his medical degree from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He received his neurology training at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and during that period worked in the Montefiore Headache Unit of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine. He was later appointed director of that unit. He came to Columbia University in 1981, and then New York Medical College. He then returned to Columbia University to organize a section on Headache and Facial Pain in the Department of Neurology. Six years ago, he came to Mount Sinai to develop a program and Fellowship in Headache Medicine.
He was one of the founding editors of CEPHALAGIA, the international headache journal. He also served as the Associate Editor of HEADACHE, the journal of the American Headache Society. He has a long-standing interest in neuropharmacology and is a Panel member of the Advisory Board of the Food and Drug Administrations Section on Peripheral and Central Neurological Drugs, and also a Panel member on the Nervous System Devices Committee. He serves on the Board of Directors of the National Headache Foundation. He is the Director of Mount Sinais Fellowship in Headache Medicine and was Editor in chief the American Academy of Neurologys recent CONTINUUM on Headache.
He has been active in the practice of Headache and Facial Pain since 1978. He has Lectured throughout the world on this subject and has written numerous articles on various subjects concerning Headache and Facial Pain.
His research interest includes: Internal medicine.
HONORS AND AWARDS
• (2003) Lewis P. Rowland Best Teacher Award, Columbia University
• (2005) Best Doctors, New York Magazine
• (2008) Best Doctors, New York Times
• (2009) Best Doctors New York Times
• (2011) Teaching Award, Mt Sinai School of Medicine
1. Green M, Apfelbaum R. Cluster-tic syndrome. Headache. 1978; 18: 112.
2. Green M. Cluster headaches. Psychosomatic Medicine. 1983; 73: 1263.
3. Green, M. Medical treatment of trigeminal neuralgia and cluster headache. Psychosomatics. 1985; 26: 334-336. doi:10.1016/S0033-3182(85)72753-3
4. Sjaastad, Green M. Chronic paroxysmal hemicranias. Uppsala J Medical Sci . 1980; 31(Suppl 31): 27-33.
5. Green M, Selman J. The medical management of trigeminal neuralgia. Headache. 1991; 31: 587-592. doi:10.1111/j.1526-4610.1991.hed3109588.x
6. Green M, Davis D. Hospital affiliated headache clinics in the managed care era. Headache. 1996; 36: 503-505. doi:10.1046/j.1526-4610.1996.3608503.x
7. Green M. The Exploding Head Syndrome. Current Pain and Headache Reviews. 2001.
8. Green M. Cluster Headache Treated with Descending Trigeminal Tractotomy. Headache. 2003; 43: 479-480.
9. Green M, Giordano S, Jiang P, Jafari M, Smith T. Effect of Divalproex on Metabolic Parameters is Dose Related in Migraine Prophylaxis. Headache. 2005; 45: 1-7. doi:10.1111/j.1526-4610.2005.05184.x
10. Bogorad I, Blum S, Green M. A case of MS presenting as SUNCT status. Headache. 2010; 50: 141-143. doi:10.1111/j.1526-4610.2009.01514.x.
11. Green M. Tension-type headache. BMJ updates (web based). 2010.
12. Dimitrova A, Ungaro R, Liebwohl B, Green M, Green P. Migraine in patients with Celiac Disease compared to Inflammatory Bowel Disease and healthy controls. 2011.
13. Green M. Tension Headache. BMJ Neurology. 2011.
14. Green M. Prophylaxis of Migraine. Audio-Digest Internal Medicine. 2012; 59(1).
15. Green M. Tension Headache. BMJ Neurology. 2012.
16. Green M, Seeger JD, Peterson MS, Bhattacharyya A. Utilization of topiramate during pregnancy and risk of birth defects. Headache. 2012. doi:10.1111/j.1526-4610.2012.02190.x.
17. Dimitrova A, Green M, Green P. Prevalence of migraine in patients with celiac disease and inflammatory bowel disease. Headache. 2013; 53(2): 344-355. doi:10.1111/j.1526-4610.2012.02260.x.
18. Green MW. Tension-type headache. BMJ Best Practice. 2014.