Maria Ursula Rosales-Hartshorn, PhD
School of Food Science
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164, USA
Dr. Rosales-Hartshorn was born and raised in Lima, Peru. She received her Food Engineer degree at the Federico Villarreal National University in Peru. As a Fulbright Scholar, she started her studies at Washington State University where she earned her MS and PhD in Food Science. During her graduate work, Dr. Rosales-Hartshorn, conducted research on phytochemicals in red raspberries and fortified fermented cassava products such as fufu.
Her research interests include functional and healthy foods as well as transgenic-protein enhanced crop materials such as cassava. R&D and sensory evaluation are also her main areas of interest.
• First place winner, IFT Biotechnology Division: Graduate Student Research Paper Competition 2012 Annual Meeting of IFT (06/2012)
• IFT Feeding Tomorrow Scholarship for 2011-2012 academic year (05/2011)
• Washington State Employees Credit Union (WSECU) Scholarship (05/2011)
• Alberta Hill Academic Excellence Award -College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences Scholarship (03/2011)
• Margaret M. Hard Home Economics Research Award -College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences Scholarship (03/2009 & 03/2011)
• H. Delight & Orlo H. Maughan Scholarship -School of Food Science Scholarship (03/2011)
• IFT Foundation Scholarship for 2010-2011 academic year (05/2010)
• Puget Sound Section of the Institute of Food Technologists Scholastic Achievement Award (04/2008)
• Home Economics Scholarship -College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences Scholarship in recognition of scholastic achievements, leadership, and future promise in the field of Food Science (03/2007 & 03/2008)
• Institute of Food Technologists Student Association (IFT) Product Development Competition -Naturalezas Delights. 5th Place, Chicago, IL (08/2007)
• Fulbright Scholarship -Academic Program in Food Science at Washington State University (07/2006 -08/2008)
• National University Federico Villarreal Scholarship to Masters Program in Entrepreneurial Economic Management, Lima, Peru (04/1998 -03/2000)
• Top of 1996 Class -Outstanding Student in the Oceanography, Fishery, and Food Science Program. National University Federico Villarreal, Lima, Peru (03/1997)
1. Rosales-Soto MU, Powers JR, Alldredge JR. Phenolics, anthocyanins and antioxidant activity in red raspberry muffins and the effect of baking and freeze drying procedures. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture. 2012; 92 (7): 1511-1518.
2. Rosales Soto MU, Brown K, Ross CF. Antioxidant activity and consumer acceptance of grape seed flour-containing food products. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2012; 47 (3): 592-602. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2621.2011.02882.x
3. Ross CF, Rosales Soto MU, Fernandez‐Plotka VC. Aroma profile of Niagara grape juice contaminated with multicolored Asian lady beetle taint using GC/MS/O. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 2010; 45 (4): 789-793.
4. Maza S, Rosales M. The processing of giant squid (Dosidicus gigas) surimi through acid-alkaline solubilization and isoelectric precipitation. Bulletin of the Fishery Technological Institute of the Peru. 2004; 6: 1-7.
5. Rosales M, Barriga M, Castro R. Effect of frozen storage of minced fish and surimi and its influence on the quality of fish breaded products. Bulletin of the Fishery Technological Institute of the Peru. 2004; 6: 65-73.
6. Maza S, Rosales M, Castro R. Effects of an acid-saline lixiviation process on the overall quality of giant squid (Dosidicus gigas) surimi. Bulletin of the Fishery Technological Institute of the Peru. 2003; 5: 81-88.
7. Rosales-Hartshorn M. Maca: botanical medicine from the andes. Adv Food Technol Nutr Sci Open J. 2015; 1(2): e1-e6.
8. Rosales-Hartshorn MU. Probiotic cultures as functional foods. Adv Food Technol Nutr Sci Open J. 2015; 1(6): 124-129. 10.17140/AFTNSOJ-1-121
9. Rosales-Hartshorn MU. Probiotic cultures as functional foods. Adv Food Technol Nutr Sci Open J. 2015; 1(6): 124-129. doi: 10.17140/ AFTNSOJ-1-121