Marco N. Barusco, MD, FISHRS
Founder & Medical Director – Tempus Hair Restoration, PA
Assistant Professor of Surgery – UCF College of Medicine
Port Orange, FL 32123
Originally from Brazil, Dr. Barusco completed both medical school and residency training in general surgery there before moving to the US in 1998. In the US, he completed a residency program in Family Medicine and a fellowship in hair restoration and trichology. For the last 20 years Dr. Barusco has dedicated his practice to hair restoration and trichology exclusively. From 1998 to 2010 he was part of a large national practice, Medical Hair Restoration, where he was responsible for the majority of the surgeries at their flagship office in Orlando. During that time, he also trained various physicians in hair restoration and tricholoy, as part of their accredited fellowship program. Became a diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS) in 2001, with recertification in 2011. His an examiner for the ABHRS and was elected President in 2017. In 2010 he decided to open his private practie, Tempus Hair Restoration. Today, Tempus Hair Restoration is the largest hair transplant practice in the State of Florida, and is a reference center for challenging cases and clinical research. Since 2014 Dr. Barusco has held an academic position as Assistant Professor of Surgery at the University of Central Florida College of Medicine. Over the years he has been active as a speaker, teacher, lecturer, committee member and has held various leadership positions in the major professional societies of his specialty.
Hair loss; Trichology; Stem cells; PRP; Cicatricial alopecias.
AWARDS / RESEARCH GRANTS
• 2011 – Research Grant from The Musculoskeletal Foundation
“A Pilot, Single-Blind, Prospective, Side-by-Side Comparative Clinical Study (BellaDerm® versus Control) to Evaluate the Effects of the Acellular Dermal Allograft BellaDerm® in the Wound Healing and Scarring of the Donor Site of a Hair Transplant Procedure”.
• 2007 – Research Grant from Pfizer Pharmaceuticals
“Development and Validation of a Patient-Reported Alopecia Efficacy Measure and Modification of the Woman’s Androgenetic Alopecia Quality of Life Questionnaire”
• 2006 – Research Grant from Pfizer Pharmaceuticals
“A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel-Group, 2-Stage, Placebo- and Active-Comparator Controlled, Pilot Efficacy and Safety Trial of UK-157,147 Solution Applied Topically to Scalp of Male Subjects with Androgenetic Alopecia”
• 2005 – Research Grant from Lexington International, LLC
“A Randomized, Double-blind Clinical Trial to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of the Hair Max Lasercomb for the Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia in Females”.
• 1999 – Research Grant – International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery
“The Role of Neural Growth Factor (NGF) in the Control of Hair Cycle and Hair Growth after a Hair Transplant Procedure”.
• 1999 – Research Grant from Merck Pharmaceutical
“A One-year, Double-blind, Randomized, Placebo Controlled Study to Determine the effect of Finasteride 1.0mg Before, During and Post Transplantation in Men with Androgenetic Alopecia Undergoing Hair Transplantation”.
• American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS) – Fellow
• Cosmetic Surgery Foundation (CSF)
• American Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ASHRS)
• American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS)
• International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) – Fellow
• Sao Paulo Regional Medical Council (CREMESP)
• Brazilian Federal Medical Council (CFM)
• Medical Textbook Chapter: Complications of the Donor Zone Harvested by the Strip Method. Hair Transplantation 6th Edition – 2017
• Medical Textbook Chapter: Hair Transplantation on a Patient with a Large Cranioplasty – Special Considerations. Hair Transplant 360 – Volume 3. Lam S. –2013
• Medical Textbook Chapter: The No-Shave Technique for Follicular Unit Extraction. Hair Transplant 360 – Volume 3. Lam S. – 2013
• Medical Textbook Chapter: Advanced Transplantation of the Crown: How to Increase Visual Perception of Coverage and Density with Cross-Hatching. Hair Transplant 360 – Volume 3. Lam S. – 2013
• Medical Textbook Chapter: Transplanting the Vertex. Hair Transplantation 5th Edition. Unger, W., Shapiro, R. – 2010
• Medical Textbook Chapter: Assembling the Surgery Team and the Surgery Center. Transplante Capilar: Arte e Tecnica. Radwanski, H., Lemos, R., Ruston, A – 2010
• Book: The New Age of Hair Transplantation Consumer guide to hair transplantation – to be released in September, 2014.
• Columnist – Hair Transplant Forum International (Official publication of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery – ISHRS) – Column Title: Complications and Difficult Cases
• Contributing Writer – Lake Mary Life Magazine Bi-monthly articles on hair loss and general health
Marco N. Barusco, MD (CV) – page 5
• Barusco M.: Hair Transplantation – The view of a Fellow [Journal Editorial] Hair Transplant Forum International. No. 3, Vol. 10 May/June 2000
• Barusco, M.: Hair Growth Control and Current Research [Journal Article] Hair Transplant Forum International May/June 2001 No. 3, Vol. 11
• Leavitt, Matt L., Barusco M., Perez-Meza, David: Clinical Update on Research Studies Performed at the WHS/ISHRS Live Surgery Workshop [Journal Article] International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery and Aesthetic Dermatology Jun 2001, Vol. 3, No. 2: 135-149
• Barusco M et al: The Use of a Computerized Anesthesia System in Hair Restoration [Journal Article] Hair Transplant Forum International Aug/Sept 2001 No. 4, Vol. 11
• Leavitt M. Lt Col Ret David PM. Rao NA. Barusco M. Kaufman KD. Ziering C. Effects of Finasteride (1 mg) on Hair Transplant. [Journal Article] Dermatologic Surgery. 31(10):1268-76, 2005 Oct.