Mandar Ranchhod Patel, PhD
R&D Senior Scientist
617 W. Main Street
Barrington, IL 60010, USA
• Doctoral of Philosophy (PhD): Food Science, August 2012, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
Specialization: Food Processing (Continuous Microwave Heating and Encapsulation)
• Master of Science: Food Science, August 2008, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS
Specialization: Food Safety
• Bachelor of Technology (First Class): Food Technology & Engineering, May 2006, Institute of Chemical Technology (erstwhile UDCT, University of Mumbai), Mumbai, India
• PepsiCo, Inc., Barrington, IL: R&D Senior Scientist (July 2012 – present). Development of ready to eat cereal (breakfast cereal) products for Quaker Oats division and lead all R&D efforts towards their commercialization.
• Kellogg Company, Battle Creek, MI: Intern – Core Technology and Cost Optimization (Jan – June 2012). Evaluation of different cost saving opportunities by reformulating existing food products without compromising quality and nutritional benefits.
• Mead Johnson Nutrition, Evansville, IN: Intern – North America Product Development (May – Aug 2010). Formulation development for infant formula and beverage for toddlers.
• The Coca-Cola Company, Nasik, India: Intern (May – June 2005). Hands-on work experience in quality control and effluent treatment plant in Coca Cola’s bottling plant.
• Mafco Ltd. (Govt. of Maharashtra State Enterprise), Pune, India: Intern (May – June 2004). Experience involved processing and quality control of fruit and vegetable products.
His research interests are in food science but specifically food processing and food chemistry. Some other areas of interests also include nutrition, ingredients and their functionality.
• Breakthrough Process/Product Award: in a biennial product development competition within Kellogg Company called Moonlighting, March 2012
• Spot Award for “supporting North America Product Development projects”, Mead Johnson Nutrition, Summer 2010
• IFTSA College Bowl Competition Midwest Area Champions 2009 – Purdue University Team Member
• First Prize in oral presentation at 72nd Annual Meeting of Mississippi Academy of Science, Olive Branch, MS, February 20-22, 2008
• Best Committee Member (2004-05) of the Mumbai University Hostels serving as a Hygiene Secretary
• Phi Tau Sigma Food Science Honor Society. President: Indiana Chapter (2010-2011)
• Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society (oldest and largest honor society in the United States)
• Institute of Food Technologists (IFT)
1. Patel MR, San Martin-Gonzalez MF. Characterization of ergocalciferol loaded solid lipid nanoparticles. Journal of Food Science. 2012; 77(1): N8-N13.doi: 10.1111/j.1750-3841.2011.02517.x.
2. Zheljazkov VD, Silva JL, Patel MR, et al. Human hair as a nutrient source for horticultural crops. HortTechnology. 2008; 18(4): 592-596.