Małgorzata Schlegel-Zawadzka, PhD
Department of Human Nutrition Institute of Public Health
Faculty of Health Sciences
Jagiellonian University Medical College
Grzegórzecka Str. 20 Kraków 31-531, Poland
Current position: professor (president nomination-2011) at the Jagiellonian University Medical College (Krakow, Poland), in the Faculty of Health Sciences, Institute of Public Health, Head of the Human Nutrition Department. Graduated as pharmacist in 1979 at the Medical University. From 1979 till1986 worker at the pharmaceutical plant, Since, 1986 teacher and researcher at the Jagiellonian University – for 16 years at the Faculty of Pharmacy, and since 2002 at the Faculty of Health Sciences (now Vice-Dean for Degrees and Scientific Development). Lecturer (students of public health, nursing, midwifery, rescue, physiotherapy, biology, chemistry) of food chemistry and nutrition, dietetic, hygienic, safety of chemicals and international health care problems, as well as public health specially devoted to food and nutrition security. The supervisor of 338 bachelor and master thesis, 12 PhD students.
Her research interests include: International health care problems, as well as public health specially devoted to food and nutrition security, health problems in different population groups (from children to elderly), nutrition habits and health disorders, micro- and macronutrients diseases in connection with dietary habits (Zn, Mg, Ca).
• Member of the American Society of Nutrition, World Public Health Nutrition Association, Polish Society of Pharmacy, Polish Society of Nutritional Sciences.
• Scientific Advisory Board of the Military Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology in Warsaw
Council Member of the International Union of Nutritional Sciences (IUNS-2009-2013) and I am on the Federation of European Nutrition Societies Board (FENS-since 2011).
• Member of the interdisciplinary team for international cooperation of the Polish Ministry of Science and High Education (since 2008).
• Reviewer in the European agendas (Framework Programs FP5-7), international and Polish journals.
Author of nearly 400 papers in English and Polish language journals in the field of pharmacy, public health nutrition, environmental and human health, and concerning micro- and macronutrients.
1. Inzitari M, Doets E, Bartali B, Benetou V, Di Bari M, Visser M, Volpato S, Gambassi G, Topinkova E, de Groot L, Salva A, for The International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics (IAGG) Task Force for Nutrition in the Elderly (Task Force Members: Bischoff-Ferrari H, Schlegel-Zawadzka M, Mowe M, Zamboni M, Stuart B, Bauer J, Cederholm T, Ritz P, Sieber C, Trichopoulou A.: Nutrition in the age-related disablement process. J Nutr Health Aging. 2011. doi: 10.1007/s12603-011-0053-1
2. Babiarczyk B, Guzar B, Schlegel-Zawadzka M, Drobnik J. Feeding difficulties in patients with advanced dementia – an analysis of convictions of Norwegian and Polish care staff. Family Med. Primary Care Rev. 2014; 16(1): 7-10.
3. Prusak AM, Schlegel-Zawadzka M, Boulay A, Rowe G. Characteristics of the peanut chain in Europe – implications for peanut allergy. Acta Sci Pol Technol Aliment. 2014; 13(3): 321-333.
4. Schlegel-Zawadzka M. Viral infections and cancer during alcohol use. W: Alcohol, nutrition, and health consequences. R.R. Watson, V.R. Preedy, S. Zibadi (red.), New York, USA: Humana Press; 2013: 397-407.