Maher Baz, MD
Clinical Professor of Medicine
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Dr. Maher Baz, is a graduate of the American University of Beirut. He trained in Internal Medicine and Pulmonary/Critical Care medicine at Duke University Medical Center from 1989-1995. He joined University of Florida (UF) in 1995 as a lung transplant pulmonologist and was Medical Director of the Lung Transplant Program from 1996-2013. He was tenured at UF in 2002 and promoted to Professor of Medicine in 2010. He joined Indiana University Physicians(UH).Lung Transplant Program in the summer of 2013.
His research interests include lung transplantation, mainly outcomes research, rejection, and oxidative stress.
• (1985) Penrose Award. Awarded to one graduate from the class of 1985 of the schools of Arts and Sciences (at the American University of Beirut) “in recognition of the qualities of scholarship, character, and leadership, and contribution of the University as a whole
• (1996) Florida Alpha Award. An annual presentation by the Florida Alpha (alpha one antitrypsin deficiency) Foundation to a physician that contributed most to the health care of patients of the society
• (1997) Certificate of Appreciation. Second Wind Lung Transplant Association, Inc.Our sincere appreciation for your commitment to community service and awareness
• (2001) Boehringer-Ingelheim Young Leaders in Pulmonary Medicine Award. In recognition of young faculty in pulmonary medicine in academic programs in the USA who have demonstrated outstanding qualities as young physician-scientists
• (2003) University of Florida exemplary teacher award. In recognition of clinician’s teaching contributions
• (2005-Present) Recognized in “Marquis Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare”
• (2008-Present) “Top Doctor” in Castle and Connolly Medical Ltd
• (2009) Exemplary teacher, Department of Medicine, University of FL
• American Thoracic Society (ATS). Member, (1994-present)
• International Society of Heart & Lung Transplantation (ISHLT). Member, (1995-present)
• United Network of Organ Sharing. Member, (1996- present)
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA (UF) AND SHANDS HOSPITAL (SH)
• Pharmaceutics & Therapeutics Committee. This committee discusses all new medications and decides whether to approve their use by SH pharmacy based on their cost-effectiveness and safety profile. If they are approved, it also decides whether to place any restrictions on their use. Member, (03/01-07/2013)
• Shands Hospital committee for guidelines for continuous intravenous Flolan therapy. This committee consisted of me, nurse educators and nurse managers, established guidelines for the inpatient initiation of therapy and the subsequent monitoring of Primary Pulmonary Hypertension patients receiving the continuous intravenous vasodilator, Flolan. Member, (01/00-05/01)
• Weekly Lung Transplant Medical Review Board Meeting. This committee consists of a thoracic transplant surgeon, lung transplant nurse coordinators, physical therapist, respiratory therapist, financial advisor, social worker, clinical psychologist, pharmacist and myself. It discusses all potential candidates for lung transplantation and decides whether to place patients on the waiting list or to decline them. Moderator, (1996-present)
• UF/SH Committee for petitioning the Health Care Finance Agency (HCFA). The application submitted by the committee gained approval by HCFA for referral of Medicare patients to the lung transplant program at UF/SH. Moderator, (02/96-04/97)
• Florida Thoracic Organ Working Group. Organizes an annual meeting of thoracic organ transplant programs to formulate guidelines for the allocation of heart and lung organs among the centers in the state of Florida, and to discuss methods to increase the number of thoracic organs utilized in the state. Moderator, 2000. Member, (1998-2006)
• Life Quest Advisory Board. Meets biannually to discuss issues relating to organ procurement, organ management, and education regarding organ donation. Member, (08/04-07/2013)
• Region 3 Thoracic Organ Representative to the Organ Procurement Transplant Network (OPTN)/ United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), Member, (06/04-06/06)
• Alternate representative on the Lung Review Board for the new Lung Allocation System. Transplant Network (OPTN)/ United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), (04/05-06/07)
• Joint Subcommittee on Membership criteria Review-Cardiothoracic Group. Transplant Network (OPTN)/ United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS), (04/05-06/07)
• Committee for establishing the guidelines for lung transplant candidates. The international consortium of lung transplant physicians that established guidelines for appropriate candidates for lung transplantation. The published guidelines have been adopted by the American Thoracic Society (ATS), International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT), the American Society of Transplant Physicians (ASTP) and the European Respiratory Society (ERS) as their official statement. Member, (01/97)
• Pulmonary council of the International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation (ISHLT). Members of this council formulate guidelines for lung transplantation and serve as scientific advisers to ISHLT. Member, (01/00-present)
Investigation of antioxidant lung defenses and oxidative stress during acute rejection in lung allografts. This research was done under the direction of Dr. Claude A. Piantadosi at Duke University Medical Center (1992-1995)
1. Ghassemieh B, Vivek A, Valentine M, et al. Decreased incidence of cytomegalovirus infection with sirolimus in a post hoc randomized multicenter study in lung transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant.2013; 32(7): 701-706. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2013.04.010
2. Bhorade S, Husain A, Liao C, et al. Interobserver variability in grading transbronchial lung biopsies after lung transplantation. CHEST. 2013; 143(6): 1717-1724. doi: 10.1378/chest.12-2107
3. Hall D, Baz M, Daniels MJ, et al. Immediate postoperative inflammatory response predicts long-term outcome in lung-transplant recipients. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2012; 15(4): 603-607. doi: 10.1093/icvts/ivs330
4. Tonelli A, Timofte I, Minai O, Baz M, Akindipe O. Pulmonary hypertension before first and second lung transplantation. Clin Transplant.2012; 26(5): 672-678. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-0012.2011.01588.x
5. Mubarak K, Worboys A, Akindipe O, et al. Parenchymal trafficking of pleural mesothelial cells in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. Eur Respir J. 2012; 39(1): 133-140. doi: 10.1183/09031936.00141010
6. Karimi A, Cobb J, Staples ED, Baz MA, Beaver TM. Technical Pearls for Swine Lung Transplantation. Journal of Surgical Research. 2011; 171: e107-e111. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2011.05.067
7. Pinney M, Rosenberg AF, Hampp C, Schain D, Akindipe O, Baz M. Invasive Fungal Infections in Lung Transplant Recipients Not Receiving Routine Systemic Antifungal Prophylaxis: 12-Year Experience at a University Lung Transplant Center. Pharmacotherapy . 2011; 31(6): 537-545. doi: 10.1592/phco.31.6.537
8. Martin A, Smith B, Davenport P, et al. Inspiratory muscle strength training improves weaning outcome in failure to wean patients: a randomized trial. Crit Care. 2011; 15(2): R84. doi: 10.1186/cc10081
9. Bussy S, Majid A ,Baz M, et al. Treatment of airway complications following lung transplantation. Arch Bronconeumol.2011; 47(3): 128-133.
10. Ahya V, McShane P, Baz M, et al. Increased Risk of Venous Thromboembolism with a Sirolimus Based Immunosuppression Regimen in Lung Transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2011; 30(2): 175-181. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2010.08.010
11. Bhorade S, Ahya V, Baz M, et al. Comparison of Sirolimus with Azathioprine in a Tacrolimus-based immunosuppressive regimen in lung transplantation. Am J Respir Crit Care.2011; 183(3): 379-387. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201005-0775OC
12. Tonelli A, Bussy S, Lodhi S, et al. Prevalence of pulmonary hypertension in end-stage cytic fibrosis and correlation with survival. J Heart Lung Transplant.2010; 29(8): 865-872. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2010.04.006
13. Akindipe O, Bussy S, Staples E, Baz M. Discrepancies between clinical and autopsy diagnosis in lung transplant recipients. Clin Transplant. 2010; 24(5): 610-614. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-0012.2009.01144.x
14. Akindipe A, Bussy S, Jantz M, et al. Obliterative bronchiolitis in lung allografts removed at retransplant for intractable airway problems.Respirology.2009; 14(4): 601-609. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1843.2009.01513.x
15. Najmunnisa N, Mohammed K, Mubarak K, et al. Pleural mesothelial cell transformation into myofibroblasts and haptotactic migration in response to TGF- beta1 in vitro. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 297(1): L115-1124. doi: 10.1152/ajplung.90587.2008
16. Bussy S, Akindipe O, Kulkarni V, Swafford W, Baz M, Jantz M. Clinical experience with a new removable tracheobronchial stent in the management of airway complications following lung transplantation. J Heart Lung Transplant.2009; 28(7): 683-688. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2009.04.014
17. Eagan C, Keller C, Baz M, Thibeault M. Effects of the IV administration of Naloxone on gas exchange in brain dead lung donors: A preliminary report. Progress in Transplantation.2009; 19: 2.
18. Akindipe O, Bussy S, Staples E, Baz M. Late Unilateral Pulmonary Edema in Single Lung Transplant Recipients. Heart Lung Transplant.2008; 27(9): 1055-1058. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2008.05.026
19. Patel J, Hu H, Lu L, et al. Thioredoxin as a biomarker for graft rejection in lung transplant recipients. Biomarker. 2008; 13(5): 486-495.
20. Akindipe O, Bussy S, Baz M, Staples E. Intraoperative Contralateral Pneumothorax during Single Lung Transplantation. Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008; 56(6): 302-305. doi: 10.1007/s11748-008-0248-5
21. Filichia L, Baz M, Cendan J. Simultaneous Fundoplication and gastric stimulation in a lung transplantrecipient with Gastroparesis and reflux. Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons.2008; 12(3): 303-305.
22. Akindipe O, Bussy S, Staples E, Baz M. Left pneumonectomy in a patient with a chronically infected allograft. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2007; 26(10): 1072-1074. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2007.07.015
23. Rodrigue J, Baz M. Waiting for lung transplantation: Quality of life, mood, caregiving strain and benefit, and social intimacy of spouses. Clinical Transplantation. 2007; 21(6): 722-727. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-0012.2007.00729.x
24. Clancy C, Jaber R, Leather H, et al. Bronchoalveolar Lavage Galactomannan in Diagnosis of Invasive Pulmonary Aspergillosis among Solid-Organ Transplant Recipients. J Clin Microbiol.2007; 45: 1759-1765.
25. Braith R, Conner J, Fulton M, et al. Comparison of Alendronate vs Alendronate Plus Mechanical Loading as Prophylaxis for Osteoporosis in Lung Transplant Recipients: a pilot study. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2007; 26(2): 132-137. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2006.11.004
26. Rodrigue J, Widows M, Baz M. Caregivers of lung transplant candidates:Do they benefit when the patient is receiving psychological services. Progress in Transplantation. 2006; 16(4): 336-342.
26. Mathur A, Baz M, Staples E, et al. Cytokine profile following lung transplantation: correlation with allograft injury. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2006; 81(5): 1844-1850. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2005.11.053
27. Rodrigue J, Baz M. Are There Sex Differences in Health-Related Quality of Life After Lung Transplantation for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease?. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation . 2006; 25: 120-125. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2005.02.005
32. Zander D, Baz M, Jorgensen M, et al. Bone marrow-derived stem cell repopulation contributes minimally to the type II pneumocyte pool in transplanted human lungs. Transplantation. 2005; 80(2): 206-212.
33. Rodrigue JR, Baz M, Kanasky WF, MacNaughton KL. Does lung transplantation improve health-related quality of life. The University of Florida experience. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2005; 24(6): 755-763. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2004.04.012
34. Rodrigue J, Baz M, Widows M, Ehlers S. A randomized evaluation of Quality of Life Therapy with patients awaiting lung transplantation. American Journal of Transplantation. 2005; 5: 2425-2432. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-6143.2005.01038.x
35. Curran W, Akindipe O, Staples E, Baz M. Lung transplantation for Primary Pulmonary Hypertension and Eisenmengers syndrome. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 2005; 20(2): 124-132.
36. Smith W, Kaplan B, Baz MA, Fann AL, Hatton R. Evaluation of DrugInteraction Software to Identify Alerts for Transplant MedicationsThe Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2005; 39(1): 45-50.
37. Mitchell M, Baz M, Fulton M, Lisor C, Braith R. Resistance training prevents vertebral osteoporosis in lung transplant recipients. Transplantation. 2003; 76(3): 557-562.
38. Kanasky W, Anton S, Rodrigue J, Perri M, Szwed T, Baz M. Impact of body weight on long-term survival after lung transplantation. CHEST. 2002; 121: 401-406. doi: 10.1378/chest.121.2.401
39. Rodrigue J, Kanasky W, Marhefka S, Perri M, Baz M. A psychometric normative database for pre-lung transplantation evaluations: The Florida cohort 1994-1997. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings. 2001; 8: 229-236. br> 40. Palmer S, Baz M, Sanders L, et al. Results of a randomized, prospective, multicenter trial of Mycophenolate mofetil versus Azathioprine in the prevention of acute lung allograft rejection. Transplantation. 2001; 71(12): 1772-1776.
41. Zander D, BAZ M, Visner G, et al. Analysis of early deaths after isolated lung transplantation. CHEST. 2001; 120(1): 225-232. doi: 10.1378/chest.120.1.225
42. Baz M, Palmer S, Staples E, Greer D, Tapson V, Davis R. Lung transplantation after long-term mechanical ventilation: Results and 1 year follow up. CHEST. 2001; 119(1): 224-227. doi: 10.1378/chest.119.1.224
43. Okun M, Nadeau S, Baz M. Lung transplants and paradoxical cerebral emboli. Transplantation. 2000; 70(12): 1805-1806. doi: 10.1097/00007890-200012270-00022
44. Scornik J, Zander D, Baz M, Donnelly W, Staples E. Susceptibility of lung transplants to preformed donor-specific HLA antibodies as detected by flow cytometry. Transplantation. 1999; 68(10): 1542-1546.
45. Zander D, Baz M, Massey J. Patterns and significance of CD44 expression in lung allografts: Correlations with rejection status. J Heart Lung Transplant. 1999; 18(7): 646-653.
46. Aris R, Barbers R, Barst R, et al. International guidelines for the selection of lung transplant candidates. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1998; 158(1): 335-339. doi: 10.1164/ajrccm.158.1.15812
47. Baz M, Ghio A, Roggli V, Tapson V, Piantadosi C. Iron accumulation in lung allografts after transplantation. CHEST. 1997; 112(2): 435-439. doi: 10.1378/chest.112.2.435
48. Baz M, Layish D, Govert J, et al. Diagnostic yield of bronchoscopies after isolated lung transplantation. CHEST.1996; 110(1): 84-88. doi: 10.1378/chest.110.1.84
49. Kanj S, Welty K, Madden J, et al. Fungal infections in lung and heart-lung recipients: Report of nine cases and review of the literature. Medicine . 1996; 75(3): 142-156.
50. Baz M, Tapson V, Van T, Roggli V, Piantadosi C. Glutathione depletion in epithelial lining fluid of lung allografts. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1996; 153(2): 742-746. doi: 10.1164/ajrccm.153.2.8564127
51. Baz M, Kussin P, Van T, Davis R, Roggli V, Tapson V. Recurrence of diffuse panbronchiolitis after lung transplantation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1995; 151(3): 895-897. doi: 10.1164/ajrccm/151.3_Pt_1.895
52. Baz M, Shararah A. The clinical significance of spontaneous pneumobilia. NC Med J. 1995; 56(8): 1-3.