Linda S. Buyer, PhD
Professor of Psychology
Division of Psychology and Counselling
Governors State University
University Park, IL 60484, USA
• (1989) PhD University of Illinois at Chicago Cognitive/Experimental Psychology Dissertation Topic: The Role of Understanding in Intra- and Interproblem Transfer
• (1985) MA University of Illinois at Chicago Cognitive/Experimental Psychology Thesis Topic: Creative Problem Solving: The Effects of Task and Instructional Constraint
• (1979) BA University of Illinois at Chicago, Major: English Literature
Her research interests include: Cognition: Higher-order processes, Expertise, Metacognition, Critical thinking, Linear models and Research methods.
HONORS AND AWARDS
• Organizing for America, Summer Fellow, 2012. He was one of 12 selected (out of more than 1,000 applicants) by President Obamas ground organization to be trained as a community organizer
• Past-President (AY1011) President (AY0910), and Vice-President (AY0809) of the Illinois Association for Institutional Research
• Poster presented at 2008 National Association for Institutional Research Forum was awarded 3rd place
• Illinois Board of Higher Education selected the work of the Student Retention committee I chaired at Governors State University, entitled Improving Program Retention through Research, as an Effective Practice, (2006)
• Professional Advancement Increase, Governors State University, (2005)
• Faculty Excellence Awards, Governors State University, 1998, (2001)
• Awarded early tenure on the basis of exceptionality, Governors State University, (1999)
• Sigma Xi: The Scientific Research Society. Initiated, (1989)
• Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society. Initiated, (1987)
• Spencer Foundation Dissertation Year Research Fellowship.Finalist, (1987)
• University of Illinois Graduate Fellow, (1986-1987)
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS
• Illinois Association for Institutional Research (Vice-President, (2008-2009)
• President, (2009-2010)
• Nominating Committee Chairperson and Past-President, (2010-2011)
• Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association (Peer Reviewer, (2006-Present)
• AQIP Forum Facilitator, (2012-Present)
1. Buyer LS, Berkson G, Winnega MA, Morton L. Stimulation and control as components of sterotyped body rocking. American Journal of Mental Deficiency. 1987; 91: 543-547.
2. Buyer LS. Creative problem solving: A comparison of performance under different instructions. Journal of Creative Behavior. 1988; 22: 55-61. doi: 10.1002/j.2162-6057.1988.tb01341.x
3. Buyer LS, Dominowski RL. Retention of solutions: Its better to give than to receive. American Journal of Psychology. 1989; 102: 353-363.
4. Dominowski RL, Buyer LS. Solving and not solving. set: Research Information for Teachers. No 1. 1991; 6: 1-6.
5. Buyer LS, Berardi-Coletta B, Thorpe P. Problem-oriented, process-oriented, and self-oriented verbalizations and their relation to problem-solving performance. Bulletin of the Psychonomic Society. 1992; 30: 454.
6. Anderson DC, Buyer LS. Is imagery a functional component of the Bizarre Imagery phenomenon? American Journal of Psychology. 1994; 107: 207-222.
7. Berardi-Coletta B, Buyer LS, Dominowski RL, Rellinger ER. Metacognition and problem transfer: A process-oriented approach. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition. 1995; 21: 205-223.
8. Dominowski RL, Buyer LS. Retention of problem solutions: The re-solution effect. American Journal of Psychology. 2000; 113: 249-274.
9. Buyer LS. Student Supplement to Accompany Cognition: Theory and Applications (5th Ed) Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co. 2000.
10. Buyer LS. Student Supplement to Accompany Cognition: Theory and Applications (6th Ed) Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co. 2003.
11. Buyer LS. Student Supplement to Accompany Cognition: Theory and Applications (7th Ed) Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co. 2006.