Liau Kui Hin, MBBS, M.Med(Surgery), FRCS(Edin), FAMS(Surgery)
Medical Director & Senior Consultant Surgeon
Department of Surgery & Surgical Oncology
Nexus Surgical Associates Pte Ltd
3 Mt Elizabeth, 08-06
Mt Elizabeth Medical Centre
Dr. Liau is an accredited surgeon with many years of experience in diagnosing and treating liver, gallbladder and pancreatic cancers and disorders. His other clinical expertise includes cancer surgery, gastrointestinal surgery, surgical infections, laparoscopic surgery and endoscopy. Dr. Liau graduated from the National University of Singapore in 1994 and obtained his postgraduate surgical degree in 1998. The same year, he was admitted to the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK. Subsequently, he received his further training in cancer management at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, New York, USA in 2002. When he returned to Singapore in 2003, he was conferred Fellowships by Academy of Medicine (Singapore) and International College of Surgeons (USA).
Prior to establishing his private practice, Dr. Liau was the Chief of Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery Unit in the Department of General Surgery from 2004 to 2010. He was the Deputy Head of Department of General Surgery, Tan Tock Seng Hospital from 2008 to 2010 and council member of Asian-Pacific Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association from 2005 – 2011. Currently, Dr. Liau serves in the council of the College of Surgeons, Singapore and is a member of the Society for Surgery of Alimentary Tract (SSAT) and International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (IHPBA). Dr. Liau has a keen interest in the care of patients with neuroendocrine tumours (carcinoids) and he serves in the executive committee of the Carcinoid & Neuroendocrine Tumor Society (CNETs).
Beneath the youthful and cheerful disposition which Dr. Liau is commonly known to his patients, he is a professional, confident and efficient surgeon who has a proven clinical track records. Dr. Liau, an ASEAN Scholarship awardee, was the recipient of the 2008 and 2009 Star Excellent Service Awards. In 2009, the Singapore Public Service honoured Dr. Liau with PS21 Star Service Award for having gone beyond the call of duty to deliver excellent service to his patients. In recognition to his service to Emirate patients, he was also presented with the Embassy of United Arab Emirates Medal.
His research interests include: Cancer surgery, Gastrointestinal surgery, Hernia surgery, Laparoscopic surgery and endoscopy.
HONOURS AND AWARDS
ACADEMIC & QUALITY AWARDS
YEAR AWARD & SCHOLARSHIP
• (1987), Asean Pre-U Scholarship by Public Service Commission, Singapore
• (1988), Distinction Award by Hwa Chong Junior College, Singapore
• (1989), Medical Undergraduate Sponsorship by Loke Foundation, Singapore
• (1998), HMDP Postgraduate Scholarship in Surgery
• (2002), Tan Tock Seng Hospital Overseas Clinical Fellowship Scholarship
• (2006), Staff Development Programme Award (Czech Republic)
• (2006), TTSH Outstanding Project Award
• (2006), NHG CPIP Best Project Award On Clinical Quality Improvement
• (2007), SMJ Reviewer Recognition Award (Reviewing with Distinction)
• (2007), TTSH Best Clinical Quality Poster Award
• (2007), Staff Development Programme Award (Spain)
• (2008), Staff Development Programme Award (France)
• (2008), Asian Hospital Management Excellence Award Department Service Improvement Category
• (2008), NHG Annual Scientific Meeting Congress Merit Award
• (2008), 5th MOH Healthcare Quality Poster Competition Award – First Prize
• (2009), 6th MOH Healthcare Quality Poster Competition Award – Merit Prize
• (2009), TTSH Best Quality Improvement Award – Merit Award
• (2009), 9th NHG Quality Week Poster Competition – Merit Award
• (2000), Quality Pillar Award by National Health Group, Singapore
• (2001), Long Service Award 5 Years by Tan Tock Seng Hospital
• (2004), Service Champion Award
• (2005), Spring Singapore EXSA Award 2005-Silver
• (2006), Long Service Award 10 Years by Tan Tock Seng Hospital
• (2006), Spring Singapore EXSA Award 2006-Gold
• (2008), Spring Singapore EXSA Award 2008-Star Award
• (2008), Spring Singapore EXSA Superstar Finalist Nominee
• (2009), PS21 Star Service Award (Healthcare)
• (2009), Spring Singapore EXSA Award 2009 -Star Award
PRINCIPLE INVESTIGATOR AWARDS
• (2004), A*Star Cancer Research Fund Award
• (2005), Singapore Cancer Syndicate Research in Liver Cancer
• (2005), MOH Health Quality Improvement Fund Award (Surgical Site Infection)
• (2008), MOH Health Quality Improvement Fund Award (Hypothermia)
• (2009), MOH Health Quality Improvement Fund Award (POSSUM)
• (2010), JnJ Ethicon Surgical Research Grant Award
Local Professional Society Membership Year
• Singapore Medical Association Member, (1994-Present)
• Medical Alumni Association of Singapore Member, (1994-Present)
• Singapore Society of Oncology Member, (2001-Present)
• Gastroenterological Society of Singapore Member, (2001-Present)
• Academy of Medicine Singapore Fellow, (2003-Present)
• College of Surgeons, Singapore Fellow, (2005-Present)
• College of Surgeons, Singapore Council, (2010-Present)
• Carcinoid & Neuroendocrine Tumour Society Secretary, (2010-2012)
• Carcinoid & Neuroendocrine Tumour Society Treasurer, (2013-Present)
• Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (Spore) Founder, (2012)
• Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association (Spore) V/President,(2012 -2014)
Regional Professional Society Membership Year
• Endoscopic & Laparoscopic Surgeons of Asia Member, (2003-Present)
• Asian-Pacific Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Assn Founder, (2004-Present)
• Asian-Pacific Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Assn Council, (2004-20 09)
• Coalition to Eradicate Viral Hepatitis in AsiaPacific Member, (2013-present)
International Professional Society Membership Year
• Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, UK Fellow, (1999-Present)
• International College of Surgeons, Chicago Fellow, (2002-Present)
• International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association Member, (2002-Present)
• New York Academy of Sciences, USA Member, (2003-Present)
• Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Alumni Member, (2003-Present)
• The Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract Member, (2004-Present)
• The Carcinoid Cancer Foundation Doctor, (2012 – Present)
• European Neuroendocrine Tumours Society Member, (2012-Present)
• Global Neuroendocrine Tumour Alliance Council, (2010 – 12)
• International Neuroendocrine Cancer Alliance Founder, (2013)
• International Neuroendocrine Cancer Alliance Council, (2013-Present)
• International Surgical Infections Study Group Member, (2013-Present)
1. Lai TC, Cheng CW, Fen CM, et al. Public Health Education Concerning Your Health. Singapore Medical Association Webpage, Concerning Your Health. 2000.
2. Kwang LC, Hin LK, Chew W. Results of Distal Radial Fractures Treated by Intra-focal Pin Fixation Annals. Academy of Medicine, Singapore.2001; 30(6): 573-576.
3. Tong HC, Hin LK, Ho Choon Kiat, Ping CS. Hepatolithiasis: A Case Series Annals. Academy of Medicine, Singapore. 2002; 30(1): 97-101.
4. Yip CC, Hin LK, Kiat, Ping CS. Mirizzis Syndrome: A Diagnostic and Operative Challenge. Journal RCS Edinburgh & Ireland. 2003; 1(5): 273-278.
5. Hin LK, Paul DR. Fresh Frozen Plasma Use in Liver Resection. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2003; 197(4): 700-701.
6. Hin LK, Paul DR, Blumgart LH. Segment-oriented Approach to Liver Resection. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2004; 84(2): 543-561. doi: 10.1016/j.suc.2003.12.003
7. Liau KH, Ruo L, Shia J, et al. Outcome of Partial Hepatectomy for Large (>10 cm) HepatocellularCarcinoma. Cancer.2005; 104(9): 1948-1955. doi: 10.1002/cncr.21415
8. F Stipa, SS Yoon, Liau KH, et al. Outcome of patients with fibrolamellar hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer. 2006; 106(6): 1331-1338. doi: 10.1002/cncr.21703
9. Tadahiro T, Yoshifumi K, Yuji N, et al. Background: Tokyo Guidelines for the management of acute cholangitis and cholecystitis. Journal Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery. 2007; 14(1): 1-10. doi: 10.1007/s00534-006-1150-0
10. Miho S, Tadahiro T, Yoshifumi K, et al. Need for criteria for the diagnosis and severity assessment of acute cholangitis and cholecystitis: Tokyo Guidelines. Journal Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery. 2007; 14(1): 11-14.
11. Fumihiko M, Tadahiro T, Yoshifumi K, et al. Flowcharts for the diagnosis and treatment of acute cholangitis and cholecystitis: Tokyo Guidelines. Journal Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery. 2007; 14(1): 27-34.
12. Toshio T, Tadahiro T, Yoshifumi K, et al. Techniques of biliary drainage for acute cholangitis: Tokyo Guidelines.Journal Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery. 2007; 14(1): 35-45. doi: 10.1007/s00534-006-1154-9
13. Keita W, Tadahiro T, Yoshifumi K, et al. Diagnostic criteria and severity assessment of acute cholangitis. Journal Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery. 2007; 14(1): 52-58. doi: 10.1007/s00534-006-1156-7
14. Atsushi T, Tadahiro T, Yoshifumi K, et al. Antimicrobial therapy for acute cholangitis: Tokyo Guidelines.Journal Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery. 2007; 14(1): 83-90. doi: 10.1007/s00534-006-1160-y
15. Masato N, Tadahiro T, Yoshifumi K, et al. Methods and timing of biliary drainage for acute cholangitis. Journal Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery. 2007; 14(1): 68-77.
16. Keita W, Kawarada K, Yoshifumi K, et al. Diagnostic criteria and severity assessment of acute cholecystitis. Journal Hepatobiliary Pancreatic Surgery. 2007; 14(1): 78-82. doi: 10.1007/s00534-006-1159-4
17. Yuichi Y, Tadahiro T, Yoshifumi K, et al. Surgical treatment of patients with acute cholecystitis. Journal Hepatobiliary Pancreat Surgery. 2007; 14(1): 91-97. doi: 10.1007/s00534-006-1161-x
18. DeMatteo RP, Gold JS, Saran L, et al. Tumour mitotic rate, size, and location independently predict recurrence after resection of primary gastrointestinal stromal tumour.Cancer. 2007. doi: 10.1002/cncr.23199
19. Kow A, Chan CY, Earnest A, et al. Striving for A Better operative Outcome: 101 Pancreatic oduodenectomies. HPB (Oxford). 2008; 10(6): 464-471. doi: 10.1080/13651820802247094
20. Shelat VG, Chan CY, Liau KH. Education and imaging. Hepatobiliary and pancreatic: operative bile duct injury. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2008; 23: 1461. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1746.2008.05587.x
21. Kow A, Chan CY, Earnest A, et al. A Audit of Ambulatory Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy in a Singapore Institution: Are We Ready for Day-Case Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy? HPB (Oxford). 2008; 10(6): 433-438. doi: 10.1080/13651820802392312.
22. De SD, Chieh KW, Liau KH, et al. Novel Approach to Laparoscopic Resection of Tumours of Distal Pancreas. ANZ J Surg. 2009; 79(4): 288-293. doi: 10.1111/j.1445-2197.2009.04878.x
23. Katz SC, Shia J, Liau KH , et al. Operative Blood Loss predicts Recurrence and Survival Following resection of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Independent of Allogenic Transfusion. Ann Surg. 2009; 249(4): 617-623.
24. Ethene W, Alfred K, Chieh W, et al. Starting a Laparoscopic Hepatectomy Programme. Singapore Med J. 2009; 50(4): 354-359.
25. Kan TK, Kenneth C, Hin LK, Kiat HC. Pancreatic Tuberculosis Mimicking Pancreatic Carcinoma: Series of Three Cases. European journal of gastroenterology & hepatology. 2009. doi: 10.1097/MEG.0b013e32832bab73.
26. Ying NS, Stanley NG, Wan YY, et al. Ablation of Phosphoinositide-3-Kinases Class II Alpha Suppresses Hepatoma Cell Proliferation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2009; 387(2): 310-315. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2009.07.013
27. Hin LK, Khin TA, Chua N, Joo CS. Outcome of a Strategy in Reducing Surgical Site Infection in a Tertiary care Hospital. Surgical infections. 2010; 11(2): 151-159. doi: 10.1089/sur.2008.081
28. Huang M, Kwek JW, Hin LK, Vu C. Diagnosis and Management of Cystic Neoplasm of Pancreas. Singapore Medical Journal. 2010; 51(8): 668-675. doi: 10.2214/AJR.12.8862
29. Winson TJ, Sanghvi K, Hin LK, Hock LC. An Audit Study of the Sensitivity and Specificity of Ultrasound, Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology and Frozen Section in the Evaluation of Thyroid Malignancies in a Tertiary Institution.Annals of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore. 2010; 39(5): 359-362.
30. Kan TK, Girishchandra SV, Hin LK, et al. Laparoscopic common bile duct exploration: our first 50 cases.Annals of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore. 2010; 39(2): 136-142.
31. Kan TK, Zhiyan Y, Hin LK. Emergency Surgery for a Ruptured Intra-abdominal Desmoid Tumour. Annals of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore.2010; 39(6): 497-498.
32. Tan CH, Pua U, Hin LK, Lee HY. Mesenteric desmoid tumour masquerading as a fat-containing cystic mass. The British journal of radiology. 2010; 83(994): e200-e203.doi: 10.1259/bjr/68468861.
33. Hin LK, Tung AK. Reducing Surgical Site Infection in a Hospital in Singapore. Wounds International. 2001; 2(1): 9-13.
34. Alfred K, Bei W, Daniel W, et al. Using Percutaneous transhepatic Cholangioscopic Lithotripsy for Intrahepatic Calculus in Hostile. Abdomen Surgeon. 2011; 9(2): 88-94. doi: 10.1016/j.surge.2010.08.002
35. Tan Winton J, Alfred K, Hin LK. Moving towards the New International Study Group for Pancreatic Surgery (ISGPS) definitions in pancreaticoduodenectomy: a comparison between the old and new. HPB (Oxford). 2011; 13(8): 566-572.
36. Soh YF, Kow AW, Wong KY, et al. Perioperative Outcomes of Laparoscopic and Open Distal Pancreatectomy: our institutions 5-year experience.Surg. 2012; 35(1): 29-36. doi: 10.1016/j.asjsur.2012.04.005
37. Shelat VG, Chan CY, Hin LK, Ho CK. Laparoscopic Exploration Can Salvage Failed Endoscopic Bile Duct Stone Extraction. Singapore Med J. 2012; 53(5): 313-317.
38. Kow A, Sadayan NA, Ernest A, et al. Is Pancreaticoduodenectomy Justified In Elderly Patients? The Surgeons. 2012; 10(3): 128-136. doi: 10.1016/j.surge.2011.02.005
39. Kiriyama S, Takada T, Strasberg SM, et al. TG13 guidelines for diagnosis and severity grading of acute cholangitis(with videos). J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2013; 20(1): 24-34. doi: 10.1007/s00534-012-0561-3.
40. Yokoe M, Takada T, Strasberg SM, et al. TG13 diagnostic criteria and severity grading of acute cholecystitis (with videos). J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2013; 20(1): 35-46. doi: 10.1007/s00534-012-0568-9
41. Miura F, Takada T, Strasberg SM, et al. TG13 flowchart for the management of acute cholangitis and cholecystitis. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2013; 20(1): 47-54. doi: 10.1007/s00534-012-0563-1
42. Gomi H, Solomkin JS, Takada T, et al. TG13 antimicrobial therapy for acute cholangitis and cholecystitis. J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci. 2013; 20(1): 60-70. doi: 10.1007/s00534-012-0572-0
43. Chung AYF, Ooi LLPJ, Machin D, et al. Adjuvant Hepatic Intra-arterial Iodine-131-Lipiodol following curative resection of hepatocellular carcinoma: A prospective randomized trial and overview. World Journal of Surgery. 2013; 37(6): 1356-1361. doi: 10.1007/s00268-013-1970-4
44. Kurup A, Liau KH, Ren J, et al. Antibiotic management of complicated intra-abdominal infections in adults: The Asian perspective. Annals of Medicine and Surgery. 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.amsu.2014.06.005
45. Smith R1, Stain SC, McFadden DW, Finlayson SR, Jones DB. Will there be a good general surgeon when you need one? (Part II) Solutions and taking back general surgery. Public Policy & Advocacy Committee of the SSAT (Reid Lombardo KM, Auyang J Gastrointest Surg. 2014; 18(7): 1334-1342. doi: 10.1007/s11605-014-2522-4
46. Hin LK, Teh C and Serrablo A. Management of Acute Cholecystitis and Acute Cholangitis in Emergency Setting. Central European Journal of Medicine. 2014; 9(3): 357-369. doi: 10.2478/s1536-013-0301-3