Leon Jakobovits James, PhD
Department of Psychology
University of Hawaii at Manoa
2500 Campus Rd, Honolulu, HI 96822, USA
Dr. Leon Jakobovits James is Professor of Psychology at the University of Hawaii. He obtained his PhD from McGill University in Canada in 1962. He taught at McGill University in Montreal, Laval University in Quebec, and University of Wisconsin in Madison before he became Assistant and then Associate Professor of Psychology at the University of Illinois, Champaign, where he was also Co-Director of the Center for Comparative Psycholinguistics. He is co-editor of two early texts on psycholinguistics and on semantics, and two books on foreign language teaching. His current activity involves developing undergraduate online psychology courses that focus on online collaborative activity and communication. He teaches a seminar on driving psychology and is the founder of Dr Driving.org, a Web site that publishes his articles on road rage and aggressive driving. Since 1996 he has given over 1,500 interviews with reporters writing stories on driving, and with safety organizations and media broadcasts.
His research interest includes: Social Psychology, Cyber psychology, Driving Psychology, Online instruction, Intersubjectivity, Ethnomethodology, Spiritual Psychology, Swedenborg, Jung.
1. Jakobovits LA. Comparative psycholinguistics in the study of cultures. International Journal of Psychology. 1966; 1: 15-37. doi: 10.1080/00207596608247042
2. Jakobovits LA, Osgood CE. Connotations of twenty psychological journals to their professional readers. American Psychologist . 1967; 22(9): 792-800.
3. Jakobovits LA, Miron MS. In: Englewood Cliffs NJ, eds. Readings in the Psychology of Language. 1967.
4. Jakobovits LA. Semantic satiation and cognitive dynamics. Journal of Special Education. 1967; 2: 35-44.
5. Jakobovits LA. Effects of mere exposure: A comment. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology Monograph Supplement. 1968; 9: 30-32.
6. Jakobovits LA. The physiology and psychology of second language learning. In: Emma Birkmaier, ed. Britannica Review of Foreign Language Education. Chicago: Encyclopedia Britannica, 1969.
7. In: Steinberg, Danny D, Jakobovits, Leon A, eds. Semantics: An Interdisciplinary Reader in Philosophy, Linguistics, and Psychology. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1971.
8. Jakobovits LA, Gordon, Barbara Y. Transactional engineering for the language teacher: The third force in language teaching. Alberta Modern Language Journal. 1976-1977; 15(2): 11-43.
9. Jakobovits LA, Gordon, Barbara Y. Applied psycholinguistics in social psychology. In: Zbornik Radova O Govoru I Jezicu, eds. (Commemorative Volume in honor of D. Kostic) Beograd, Yugoslavia: Institute of Experimental Phonetics, 1979.
10. Jakobovits LA. Social Psychology: Studying Community-Building Forces. Department of Psychology, University of Hawaii, 1979.
11. Jakobovits LA, Nahl-Jakobovits, Diane. Learning the library: Taxonomy of skills and errors. College and Research Libraries, 1987; 48 (3): 203-214.
12. Nahl D, James L. Bibliographic Instructional Design for Information Literacy: Integrating Affective and Cognitive Objectives. Research Strategies, 1993; 11(2): 73-88.
13. Jakobovits, Leon A, Diane Nahl-Jakobovits. Measuring Information Searching Competence. College and Research Libraries. 1990; 51 (5): 448-462.
14. Nahl, Diane and James, Leon. 1995. Achieving Focus, Engagement, and Acceptance: Three Phases of Adapting to Internet Use. Electronic Journal of Virtual Culture. 1995; 4(1)
15. Leon J. Do the Writings of Swedenborg Contain Scientific Revelation? New Church Life, July 1995; 115(7), 325-330.
16. Leon J, Nahl D. Aggressive Driving is Emotionally Impaired Driving. Global Conference on Aggressive Driving. Ontario Ministry of Transportation, Road User Safety Branch with Drivers.com, Online Conference on Aggressive Driving.2000; 16-23.
17. Leon J. Hindu and Buddhist Non-Duality: Conflict in the New Church Mind? ISI News Newsletter of Information Swedenborg 2001; 55: 4-7.
18. Leon J, Diane N. A New Paradigm for a Global Lifelong Driver Education Curriculum. Road Safety Conference SAFEX 2004; 13-15 in Rovinj, Croatia Published in Driving Magazine, 200716-19.
19. Leon J. A Brief History of God and Humanity. Information Swedenborg. 2008; 6-10.
20. Leon J. A Man of the Field. Volume 1: The Struggle Against Nonduality and Materialism. Basis of Religion Series. 2010. Eagle Pearl Press.
21. Diane N, James L. Technology Integration and Gamification in University Courses. In: Leonel Morgado, eds. Proceedings of the Fourth International Research conference on Virtual Worlds. 2012; 41-48.
22. Diane N, James L. Gamification in instruction and the management of intersubjectivity in online university courses. International Journal of Web Portals. 2013; 5(2): 51-65. doi: 10.4018/jwp.2013040104
23. Leon J. The collaborative construction of intersubjectivity mediated by technology: A social-biological model of online communication. Symbiosis: SOJ Psychology. 2014; 1(3): 1-7.
24. Leon J. The threefold self and the four options: Self-monitoring one’s daily emotional spin cycle. Journal of Psychology and Clinical Psychiatry. 2014; 1(1): 1-14.
25. Leon J, Nahl D. A metatheory integrating social, biological and technological factors in information behavior research. Webology: The World Wide Web Library and Information Science. 2014; 11(1): Article 116, 1-23.
26. Leon J. Air Rage: Gamification techniques for managing passenger behavior. American International Journal of Contemporary Research (AIJCR) . 2014; 4(10): 1-7.
27. Leon J. Managing walking rage: Self-assessment and self-change techniques. Journal of Psychology and Clinical Psychiatry. 201; 2(2): 00057, 1-7.
28. Leon J. Learned affective norms: Affective and cognitive factors In Web search behavior relating to optimism, self-efficacy, locus of control, affectivity, loyalty. Paripex – Indian Journal of Research (PIJR) . 2015; 4(2): 197-210.
29. Leon J. Analyzing client statements to identify affective and cognitive resistance to new health information. Journal of Psychology & Clinical Psychiatry. 2015; 2(2): 1- 6. doi: 10.15406/jpcpy.2015.02.00067
30. Leon J. Experiencing Regeneration: Equipping Our Personality for Living in the Afterlife. 2015.Print Edition. Create Space Publishing.
31. Leon J. A comparison of keywords in the dynamic psychology of Jung, Swedenborg, and Freud. Journal of Psychology and Clinical Psychiatry. 2015; 3(3): 00134, 1-13.
32. Leon J. Jung and Swedenborg on God and Life After Death. 2015. Print Edition. Regeneration Media. Create Space Publishing.