Larry Bruce Mellick, MD, MS, FACEP, FAAP
Professor of Emergency Medicine and Pediatrics
Georgia Regents University Hospital
1120 15th Street
Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Dr. Mellick, served as the first chairman of the new Department of Emergency Medicine at the Medical College of Georgia and continued in that role until 2002. His first academic chairman role began in 1993 when he took over leadership of the Department of Emergency Medicine at Loma Linda University Medical Center in San Bernardino County, California.
Dr. Mellick attended the Medical College of Ohio at Toledo from 1974 to 1977 and accomplished his specialty training in the military. His first residency was in Pediatrics and four years later he completed a residency in Emergency Medicine (1984-1986). He is board certified in those two specialties as well as Pediatric Emergency Medicine.
Besides being the first academic chairman at the MCG department of emergency medicine he started the pediatric emergency medicine programs at Georgia Regents University and Loma Linda University Medical Center. He also began the successful pediatric emergency medicine fellowship at Loma Linda. The ED observation unit, the Center for Operational Medicine, the Emergency Medicine ultrasound program began during Dr. Mellicks tenure as chairman at the Medical College of Georgia.
Dr. Mellick has had the opportunity to be the editor of multiple emergency medicine publications published through the American Health Consultants. He was the first editor of and started the clinical monograph, Pediatric Emergency Medicine Reports. He also participated in development of the ED Nursing Newsletter and was the clinical editor of that publication for a number of years. For many years he served as executive editor of the ED Management Newsletter, ED Legal Letter and was an interim editor for Emergency Medicine Reports. He has been the author of multiple publications. In recent years Dr. Mellick has developed an interest in clinical photography and the creation of training videos for emergency medicine. His popular YouTube channel contains over 400 videos. He is a contributor to well-known emergency medicine textbooks such as the Atlas of Emergency Medicine and Roberts and Hedges Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine.
His research interest include: Headache and Orofacial pain.
AWARDS AND HONORS
• Teaching award: Emergency Medicine Residency 2012-2013, Department of Emergency Medicine
• Clinical Photography Award, 3rd Place. Pediatric Emergency Medicine Section, EMages Competition, (2013)
• Teaching Award: Outstanding Faculty Educator Award 2009-2010, Department of Emergency Medicine, (June 2010)
• Teaching Award: Tripler Army Medical Center, Intern Class Graduation: Outstanding Staff Physician Teaching Award, (June 5, 1997)
• Teaching Award: Juniors Choice: Outstanding Senior Resident, Department of Emergency Medicine, Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas. (May 30, 1986)
• Medical Student Award: Medical Student Award for Pediatrics: Medical College of Ohio at Toledo, Toledo, Ohio, (June 1977)
• Association of Academic Chairs of Emergency Medicine, Society of Academic Emergency Medicine
• Fellow; American College of Emergency Physicians (FACEP)
• Fellow; American Academy of Pediatrics (FAAP)
• American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Section member: Emergency Medicine
• ACEP Section Member: Pediatric Emergency Medicine
• American Medical Association
• Society of Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM)
PUBLICATIONS IN NON-REFEREED JOURNALS
1. Mellick L. Breaking News: Saving Lives with Aortic Compression. Emergency Medicine News. 2014; 36(7). doi: 10.1097/01.EEM.0000451946.99388.8f
2. Allen M, Mellick L. Hyperventilation Associated Electrolyte Abnormalities. EPIC GCEP Quarterly Journal . 2014.
3. Allen M, Mellick L. Injuries and Issues Surrounding the Use of Conductive Energy Devices (TASERS). GCEP Quarterly Journal. 2014.
4. Allen M, Mellick L. Lesion of the Buccal Mucosa. GCEP Quarterly Journal. 2013.
5. Mellick L. Pain Honeymoons and Testicular Torsion. GCEP Quarterly Journal. 2013.
6. Mellick L. Blogosphere, Emergency Medicine News. GCEP Quarterly Journal. 2013.
7. Lee LaRavia DO, Mellick L. A White Object Protruding from the Tonsils. GCEP Quarterly Journal, EPIC. 2013.
8. Amin A, Mellick L. A Literature Review of Various Small Caliber Chest Drainage. GCEP Quarterly Journal, EPIC. 2013.
9. Mellick L, Gentles R. Trench Foot or Immersion Foot. GCEP Quarterly Journal, EPIC. 2013.
10. Mellick L. Emergency Medicine News Blog. GCEP Quarterly Journal, EPIC. 2013.
11. Mellick L, Gentles R. Snakebite Management in the ED. GCEP Quarterly Journal, EPIC. 2013.
12. Mellick L. The “Finger Sign” and “The Hair Sign”-Two Signs I Just Made Up. GCEP Quarterly Journal, EPIC. 2013.
13. Mellick L, Jones B. Lymphatic Fistula. GCEP Quarterly Journal, EPIC. 2012.
14. Mellick L, Jones B. Neonatal Listeria Meningitis. GCEP Quarterly Journal, EPIC. 2012.
15. Mellick L, Orlando T. I Swallowed My Grill. GCEP Quarterly Journal, EPIC. 2012.
16. Mellick L, McIlrath ST, Mellick AG. Treatment of Headaches in the ED with Lower Cervical. Intramuscular Bupivacaine Injections: A 1-Year Retrospective Review of 417 Patients. GCEP Quarterly Journal, EPIC. 2011.
17. Mellick LB. Nikolskys Sign: A Clinical Finding in Review. GCEP Quarterly Journal, EPIC. 2011.
18. Mellick LB. Testicular Torsion Pitfalls and Challenges. ED Legal Letter. 2010; 21(10): 117-119.
19. Janiak B, Mellick LB. Medical-legal consulting pearls from an experienced expert witness. Special Report. ED Legal Letter. 2007; 18(7): 73-84.
20. Mellick GA, Mellick LB. Lower Cervical Intramuscular Bupivacaine Injections-Another Treatment Option for Headaches. Business briefing. Emergency Medicine Review. 2005; 39-42.