Kyungbin Kwon, PhD
Instructional Systems Technology
School of Education, Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Kyungbin Kwon is an Assistant Professor of Instructional Systems Technology at Indiana University. He received his Ph.D. at the University of Missouri in the School of Information Science and Learning Technologies Department, studying metacognitive scaffolding, computer-supported collaborative learning, and computer science education. Recently, his research experience has focused on the development of computational thinking through block-based programming tools. He identified novice programmers’ common misconceptions and designed instructional strategies to facilitate problem-solving skills in programming contexts. He collaboratively works for the Google Computer Science Education Research (CS-ER) program since July 2018. In the program, he examines the impact of socially relevant problem-based learning curriculum at the elementary level.
Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, Computer Science Education in K-12, Distance education, Metacognitive Scaffolding.
• Appreciation Award for supporting the Korean Society for Educational Technology (KSET) as a planner for the 2016 AECT Convention, 2016.
• Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award for Outstanding Clinical Curriculum Innovation, University of Missouri, School of Medicine, 2012.
1. Kwon, K., & Song, D., & Sari, A., & Khikmatillaeva, U. (2019). Different Types of Collaborative Problem-Solving Processes in an Online Environment: Solution-oriented versus Problem-oriented. Journal of Educational Computing Research. 56(8), 1277-1295. doi:10.1177/0735633117740395
2. Kwon, K., Shin, S. & Park, S.J. (2018). Effects of graphic organizers in online discussions: comparison between instructor-provided and student-generated. Educational Technology Research and Development. 66(6), 1479-1503. doi:10.1007/s11423-018-9617-7
3. Kwon, K., Lee, S. J., & Chung, J. (2018). Computational concepts reflected on Scratch programs. International Journal of Computer Science Education in Schools, 2(3). doi:10.21585/ijcses.v2i3.33
4. Liu, Y. H., Kwon, K., & Johnson, L. P. (2018). Exploration of Factors in the Early Collaboration Phase Affecting Virtual Groups’ Overall Collaborative Learning Experiences. Journal of Educational Computing Research. 56(4), 485-512. doi:10.1177/0735633117715034
5. Han, A., Kwon, K. (2018). Students’ Perception of Extracurricular Activities: a case study. Journal of Advances in Education Research. 3(3), 131-141.
6. Kwon, K., Shin, S., Brush, T. A., Glazewski, K. D., Edelberg, T., Park, S. J., . . . Alangari, H. (2017). Inquiry learning behaviors captured through screencasts in problem-based learning. Interactive Learning Environments, 26(6), 839-855. doi:10.1080/10494820.2017.1419496
7. Kwon, K. (2017). Novice programmer’s misconception of programming reflected on problem-solving plans. International Journal of Computer Science Education in Schools, 1(4). 14-24. doi:10.21585/ijcses.v1i4.19
8. Kwon, K., & Park, S. J. (2017). Effects of Discussion Representation: Comparisons between interaction and topic diagrams. Instructional Science, 45(4), 469-491. doi:10.1007/s11251-017-9412-6
9. Khlaif, Z., Nadiruzzaman, H., & Kwon, K. (2017). Types of Interaction in Online Discussion Forums: A Case Study. Journal of Educational Issues, 3(1), 155-169. doi:10.5296/jei.v3i1.10975
10. Kwon, K., DiSilvestro, F. R., & Treff, M. E. (Fall 2016/Winter 2017). Online graduate course evaluation from both students’ and peer instructors’ perspectives utilizing Quality Matters. Internet Learning, 5(1), 7-16. doi:10.18278/il.5.1.2
11. Kwon, K., Saporova, D. & Hoffman, K. (2015). Online lecture capturing system: Expected and actual effects of implementation in a problem-based learning medical curriculum. Medical Teacher, 37(6), 578-584. doi:10.3109/0142159X.2014.956060
12. Kwon, K., Liu, Y., & Johnson, L. (2014). Group Regulation and Social-emotional Interactions observed in Computer Supported Collaborative Learning: Comparison between good vs. poor collaborators. Computers & Education, 78, 185-200. doi:10.1016/j.compedu.2014.06.004
13. Kwon, K., Hong, R., & Laffey, J. (2013). The Educational Impact of Metacognitive Group Coordination in Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning. Computers in Human Behavior, 29(4), 1271-1281. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2013.01.003
14. Moore, J. L., Dickson-Deane, C., Galyen, K., Kumalasari, C., & Kwon, K. (2012). The ZONE learning community: Gaining knowledge through mentoring. First Monday, 17(9). doi:10.5210/fm.v0i0.3748
15. Kwon, K., & Jonassen, D. (2011). The Influence of Reflective self-explanations on Problem-Solving Performance. Journal of educational computing research, 44(3), 243-259. doi:10.2190/EC.44.3.a
16. Kwon, K., Kumalasari, C. D., & Howland, J. L. (2011). Self-Explanation Prompts on Problem-Solving Performance in an Interactive Learning Environment. Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 10(2), 96-112.
17. Kwon, K., Han, D., Bang, E., & Armstrong, S. (2010). Feelings of Isolation and Coping Mechanism in Online Learning Environments: A Case Study of Asian International Students. The International Journal of Learning, 17(2), 343-356. doi:10.18848/1447-9494/CGP/v17i02/46899
18. Song, S., & Kwon, K. (2006). The role of Center for Teaching and Learning for Higher Education: from Cases of USA. Korean Journal of Educational Technology, 22(3), 167-185.
Frick, T., Dagli, C., Kwon, K., & Tomita, K. (2018). Indiana University Plagiarism Tutorials and Tests: 14 Years of Worldwide Learning Online. In B. Hokanson, G. Clinton, & K. Kaminski (Eds.), Educational Technology and Narrative: Story and Instructional Design (pp. 191-205). Cham: Springer International Publishing.
Cho, Y., Boling, E., & Kwon, K. (2017). Improving Human Learning and Performance at Indiana University. Performance Improvement, 56(3), 34-44. doi:10.1002/pfi.21695