Kye Y. Kim, MD
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine
Professor Faculty Affiliate
Department of Human Development at Virginia Tech
Roanoke, VA 24014, USA
Dr. Kim obtained his MD degree from Yonsei University’s College of Medicine in Seoul, Korea and finished his postgraduate training in adult psychiatry at the State University of New York at Buffalo. He completed his fellowship in geriatric psychiatry at the University of South Florida in Tampa. After he completed his postgraduate training, he began his geriatric psychiatry career with the Buffalo Veterans Affairs Medical Center and SUNY at Buffalo. He subsequently cared for the veterans with dementing disorders for 26 years in the VA system. He is currently with Carilion Clinic-Center for Healthy Aging. Dr. Kim is a Professor of Psychiatry at the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine. He is also Professor Faculty Affiliate with the Department of Human Development at Virginia Tech.
His research interests include: Dementia care coordination, Neuropsychiatric symptoms of dementia, and Grief and grief counseling in older adults.
AWARDS AND HONORS
• (2016) Outstanding Faculty of the Year (Patient Care), Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Psychiatry Residency Training Program
• (2015) Certificate of Recognition for Exceptional Performance, Catawba Hospital, Catawba, VA, USA
• (2015) Certificate of Compassion, Catawba Hospital, Catawba, VA, USA
• (2014) Florence Nightingale Award (Patient Care), Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Psychiatry Residency Training Program
• (2013) Outstanding Teacher of the Year (Community Psychiatry), Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Psychiatry Residency Training Program
• (2011) Commendation for Dedicated Services, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Salem, VA, USA
• (2010) Certificate of Appreciation for the Leadership of the Care Coordination Workgroup under VHA Dementia Steering Committee, Office of Geriatrics & Extended Care, Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington, DC, USA
• (2010) Certificate of Appreciation for Contributions to Integrated Ethics, VA Medical Center, Salem, VA, USA
• (2009 Outstanding Faculty Research Award of the Year, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine, Roanoke, VA, USA
• (2004) Team Award (Dementia Care Program), Veterans Affairs Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network (VISN) 6
• (2002, 2003), Special Contribution and Team Award, VA Medical Center Salem, VA, USA
• (2003) Special Recognition by the Central and Western Virginia Chapter, Alzheimer’s Association, Roanoke, VA, USA
• (1996) Special Contribution Award by VA Medical Center, Buffalo, NY, USA
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
1. Barman R, Detweiler MB, Kim KY. PTSD in combat veterans with cognitive decline: A case report. Federal Practitioner. 2016; 33: 17S-21S.
2. Detweiler MB, Sullivan K, Sharma T, Kim KY, Detweiler JG. Case reports of neuroleptic malignant syndrome in context of quetiapine use. Psychiatric Quarterly. 2013; 84: 523-541. doi: 10.1007/s11126-013-9264-4
3. Yeaman PA, Kim D, Alexander JL, Ewing H, Kim KY. Relationship of physical and functional independence and perceived quality of life of veteran patients with Alzheimers disease. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. 2013; 30: 462-466. doi: 10.1177/1049909112453868.
4. Yeaman PA, Ford JL, Kim KY. Providing quality palliative care in end stage in Alzheimers disease. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. 2013; 30: 499-502. doi: 10.1177/1049909112453644.
5. Ford JL, Linde BD, Gigliotti C, Kim KY. Grief experiences of three caregiving wives of veterans with dementia. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. 2013; 30: 137-145. doi: 10.1177/1049909112446847
6. Sapra M, Sethi R, Chowdhury M, Kim K, Herbertson R. Utilization of antipsychotics in ambulatory elderly with dementia in an outpatient setting. Federal Practitioner. 2012; 29: 29-33.
7. Komelski MF, Kim KY, Malin-Christiansen H. Taiji self-care: Exploring a pilot self-care program for extended care nursing staff at a local veterans affairs medical center. Federal Practitioner. 2012; 29: 9-14.
8. Khachiyants N, Kim KY. Mini-mental status examination mapping to the corresponding brain areas in dementia. Applied Technologies & Innovations. 2012; 7: 55-58. doi: 10.15208/ati.2012.7
9. Detweiler MB, Sharma T, Lane S, et al. What is the evidence to support the use of therapeutic garden for the elderly and disabled? Psychiatry Investigation. 2012; 9: 100-110. doi: 10.4306/pi.2012.9.2.100
10. Ali R, Singh G, Iskandar J, Kim KY. A case of intention tremor induced by the combination of aripiprazole and lamotrigine-induced intention tremor. The Primary Care Companion for CNS Disorders. 2012; 14 (1).
11. Detweiler MB, Khachiyants N, Detweiler JG, Ali RM, Kim KY. Risperidone for nightmares of combat veterans: Four cases. Consultant Pharmacist. 2011; 26: 920-928.
12. Kumar S, Kodela S, Detweiler JG, Kim KY, Detweiler MB. Bupropion induced psychosis: Forklore or a fact? A systematic review of the literature. General Hospital Psychiatry. 2011; 33: 612-617.
13. Khachiyants N, Trinkle D, Son SJ, Kim KY. Sundown syndrome in persons with dementia: An update. Psychiatry Investigation. 2011; 8: 275-287.
14. Khachiyants N, Ali R, Kovesdy C, Detweiler JG, Kim, KY, Detweiler MB. Effectiveness of risperidone for the treatment of nightmares in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology. 2010; 30: 735-737.
15. Kim KY, Son SJ. Caregiver management of psychiatric disorders of the elderly with dementia. Journal of the Korean Medical Association. 2010; 53: 993-998.
16. Kim KY, Detweiler MB. Apathy in persons with alzheimers disease: An overview. Alzheimers Care Today. 2010; 11: 251-259.
17. Murphy PF, Miyazaki Y, Detweiler MB, Kim KY. Longitudinal analysis of agitation of a therapeutic wander garden of demented patients based on ambulation ability. Dementia: The International Journal of Social Research and Practices. 2010; 3: 355-373. doi: 10.1177/1471301210375336
18. Detweiler MB, Sharma T, Kim M, et al. The case for the use of restorative natural environment for veterans. Federal Practitioner. 2010; 1: 26-29.
19. Detweiler MB, Murphy PF, Kim KY, Myers LC, Ashai A. Scheduled medications and falls in dementia patients utilizing a wander garden. American Journal of Alzheimers Disease and Other Dementias. 2009; 24: 322-332. doi: 10.1177/1533317509334036
20. Sapra M, Kim KY. Anti-amyloid treatments in Alzheimers disease. Recent Patents on CNS Drug Discovery. 2009; 4: 143-148.
21. Detweiler MB, Mehra A, Rowell T, Kim KY, Bader G. Delirious mania and malignant catatonia: A report of three cases. Psychiatric Quarterly. 2009; 80: 23-40.
22. Detweiler MB, Murphy PF, Myer LC, Kim KY. Does a wander garden influence inappropriate behaviors in dementia residents? American Journal of Alzheimers Disease and Other Dementias. 2008; 23: 31-45. doi: 10.1177/1533317507309799
23. Kim KY, Detweiler MB. Preventing falls in older adults with dementia. Federal Practitioner. 2008; 25: 11-14.
24. Kim KY, Wood BE. An integrated approach to dementia care: How an integrated dementia care program can contribute to community awareness, patient care, education and research. Dementia: The International Journal of Social Research and Practice. 2007; 6: 295-299.
25. Detweiler MB, Kalafat N, Kim KY. Drug-induced movement disorders in older adults: an overview for clinical practitioners. The Consultant Pharmacist. 2007; 22: 149-65. doi: 10.4140/TCP.n.2007.149
26. Detweiler MB, Kim KY, Taylor BY. Focused supervision of high-risk fall dementia patients: A simple method to reduce fall frequency incidence and severity. American Journal of Alzheimers Disease and Other Dementias. 2005; 20: 97-104. doi: 10.1177/153331750502000205
27. Kim KY, Wood BE, Wilson MI. Risk factors of Alzheimers disease: Overview for clinical practitioners. The Consultant Pharmacist. 2005; 20: 224-230.
28. Kim KY, Yeaman PA, Keene RL. End-of-life care for persons with Alzheimers disease. Psychiatric Services. 2005; 56: 139-141.
29. Kim KY, Ke V, Adkins LM. Donepezil for alcohol related dementia: A case report. Pharmacotherapy. 2004; 24: 419-421. doi: 10.1592/phco.24.4.419.33178
30. Detweiler MB, Kim KY, Bass J. Percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy in cognitively compromised older adults: A geropsychiatric perspective. American Journal of Alzheimers Disease and Other Dementias. 2004; 19: 24-30. doi: 10.1177/153331750401900105
31. Kim, KY, Hall SB. Inpatient respite program in the VA System. Psychiatric Services. 2003; 54: 821-824.
32. Kim, KY, Bader GM, Kotlyar V, Gropper D. Treatment of delirium in older adults with quetiapine. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology. 2003; 16: 29-31. doi: 10.1177/0891988702250533
33. Wood BE, Kim KY, Harpold GJ. Psychiatric management of Huntingtons disease in extended care settings. Psychiatric Services. 2002; 53: 703-705.
34. Kim KY, Bader GM, Harpold GJ. Recognizing and treating Alzheimers disease. Federal Practitioner. 2002; 19: 52-58.
35. Kim KY, Jones E, Goldstein MZ. Mental health services for older adults in the VA system. Psychiatric Services. 2001; 52: 765-768.
36. Kim KY, Moles JK, Hawley JM. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for aggressive behavior in dementia associated with head injury. Pharmacotherapy. 2001; 21: 498-504. doi: 10.1592/phco.21.5.498.34504
37. Kim KY, Craig J, Hawley JM. Seizure possibly related to fluvoxamine: A case report. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 2000; 34: 1276-1278. doi: 10.1345/aph.10134
38. Miglani JS, Kim KY, Chahil R. Gammahydroxy butyrate withdrawal induced delirium: A case report. General Hospital Psychiatry. 2000; 22: 213-215.
39. Kim KY, Bader GM, Jones E. Citalopram for verbal agitation in patients with dementia. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology. 2000; 13: 53-55.
40. Kim KY, Palumbo LW, Persaud K. Diagnosis and treatment of somatization in the elderly. Home Healthcare Consultant. 1999; 6: 29-33.
41. Goldstein MZ, MaLossi RA, Kim KY, Young B. A Course in dementia for third year medical students. Academic Psychiatry. 1999; 23: 142-150. doi: 10.1007/BF03340042
42. Kim, KY, Hwang W, Narendran R. Acute liver damage possibly related to sertraline and venlafaxine ingestion. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 1999; 33: 381-382. doi: 10.1345/aph.18155
43. Helsley S, Sheikh T, Kim KY, Park SK. Electroconvulsive therapy in PTSD. American Journal of Psychiatry. 1999; 156: 494-495.
44. Kim KY, Palumbo LW, Ahrens KS. Managing older adults with aggressive behavior in the home setting. Home Healthcare Consultant. 1998; 5: 29-36.
45. Kim KY, Goldstein MZ. Treating older adults with psychotic symptoms. Psychiatric Services. 1997; 48: 1123-1126.
46. Hertzberg T, Leo RJ, Kim KY. Recurrent obsessive-compulsive disorder associated with pregnancy and childbirth. Psychosomatics. 1997; 38: 386-388. doi: 10.1016/S0033-3182(97)71446-4
47. Leo RJ, Kreeger JL, Kim KY. Cardiomyopathy associated with clozapine. The Annals of Pharmacotherapy. 1996; 30: 603-605.
48. Leo RJ, Kim KY. Clomipramine treatment of paraphilias in elderly demented patients. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology. 1995; 8: 123-124.
49. Hershey LA, Feldman BJ, Kim KY, Commichau C, Lichter DG. Tremor at onset: Predictor of cognitive and motor outcome in Parkinsons disease. Archives of Neurology. 1991; 48: 1049-1051. doi: 10.1001/archneur.1991.00530220069021
50. Kim KY, Hershey LA. Diagnosis and treatment of depression in the elderly. International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine. 1988; 18: 211-221.
51. Hershey LA, Kim KY. Diagnosis and treatment of anxiety in the elderly. Rational Drug Therapy. 1988; 22: 1-6.
Others (LETTERS TO THE EDITOR, RESPONSES, NEWSLETTERS)
1. Kim KY. American Medical Directors Association. International Psychogeriatric Association Bulletin. 2008; 25: 24.
2. Kim KY. Sound off -meeting the challenge of dementia care. Federal Practitioners. 2006; 23: 32.
3. Kim KY, Ke V, Adkins LM. Donepezil for alcohol-related dementia. Review Series in dementia, Issue. Stockholm, Sweden: Published by Helix Communications; 2005: 1&2.
4. Kim KY. Medical Update: Memantine. Alzheimers Association Central and Western Virginia Chapter Newsletter. Spring Edition 2004.
5. Kim KY. Medical Update: Lewy Body Dementia. Alzheimers Association Blue Ridge Chapter of Virginia Newsletter. Spring Edition 2001.
6. Goldstein MZ, Kim KY. Trends in Geriatric Psychiatry. American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry Newsletter. 1990; 11(12).
7. Goldstein MZ, Kim KY. Annotated Bibliography: Update of Publications in Geriatric Psychiatry. American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry Newsletter. 1989-1991.
BOOKS (AUTHOR, CO-AUTHOR, EDITOR, CO-EDITOR)
1. Luci K, Kim KY. Veterans Affairs Dementia Care Strategies as a Model. Dementia: Prevalence, Risk Factors and Management Strategies. Hauppauge, NY, USA: Nova Science Publishers, Inc; 2014: 17-32.
2. Sapra M, DeYoung N, Kim KY. Apathy in Dementia. Dementia: Prevalence, Risk Factors and Management Strategies. Hauppauge, NY, USA: Nova Science Publishers, Inc; 2014: 47-58.
3. Burggraf V, Kim K, Knight A. Healthy Aging: Principles and Clinical Practice for Clinicians. Philadelphia, PA, USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2014.
4. Ali R, Kim KY. Psychiatric Assessment and Diagnostic Evaluation. In: Burggraf V, Kim K, Knight A, eds. Healthy Aging: Principles and Clinical Practice for Clinicians. Philadelphia, PA, USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2014: 443-457.
5. Kim KY. Waning cognition in the elderly. In: Kilgus M, Rae W, eds. Essential Psychopathology Casebook. New York, NY, USA: W. W. Norton & Company; 2014: 13-29.
6. Gillespie LB, Ford JL, Kim KY. End-of-Life care for veterans in extended care in veterans affairs healthcare system. In: Miller TW, ed. The Praeger Handbook on Veterans Health: History, Challenges, issues, and Developments. Westport, Connecticut, USA: Praeger Publishers; 2012: 195-216.
7. Kim KY, Wood BE. The Use of Serotonergic Agents in Dementia. In: Shirley AC, ed. Trends on Serotonin Uptake Inhibitors Research. Hauppauge, NY, USA: Nova Science Publishers; 2005: 145-156.
8. Goldstein MZ, Kim KY. Geriatric Psychiatry. In: Mogul KM, Dickstein LJ, eds. Career Planning for Psychiatrists. Washington, DC, USA: American Psychiatric Press; 1995: 197-210.