Koji Sugiyama, PhD
Faculty of Education-Physical and Health Education
Department of Teacher Training
• PhD (Health and Sports Science) Juntendo University Graduate School of Health and Sports Science (2013)
His research interests include: Complex systems – Health/Sports science – Sports science
• International Academy of Sportology
• The Japan Society of Coaching Studies
• National Strength and conditioning Association
• Japan Society of Physiological Anthropology
• Japan Society of Physical Fitness and Sports Medicine
1. Aoki, J, Katamoto S, Sugiyama S, Ono K. Effect of playing mini-basketball on cardiorespiratory capacity in elementary school boys, Part2. Work intensity and energy expenditure during training and cardiorespiratory function in players aged 11-12 years old. Rep Res Cent Phys Ed. 1989; 17: 8-14.
2. Sugiyama K, Nakano H, Murakoshi S. Work intensity of competitive orienteering judged by heart rate response. In the assumption of a long distance orienteering race. Reports of the Faculty of Liberal Arts in Shizuoka University. 1989; 25: 73-80.
3. Sugiyama K, Nakano H. Effect of skiing on heart rate response during pleasure skiing. Reports of the Faculty of Liberal Arts in Shizuoka University. 1990; 26: 63-68.
4. Sugiyama K, Aoki J.Effect of hyperoxic taining on endurance capacity and performance at sea level. Jap J Phys. Fitness Sports Med. 1990; 39: 173-180.
5. Sugiyama K, Nakano H.Effect of skill level in skiing on heart rate response during pleasure skiing. J Jap Society Ski Sci. 1991; 1: 190-198
6. Sugiyama K, Nakano H, Murakoshi S. Work intensity during orienteering race and V02max of Japanese elite orienteers. Reports of the Faculty of Liberal Arts in Shizuoka University. 1991; 27: 67-73.
7. Mtsui K, Chou P, Sugiyama K. On the changing of heart rate during tai chi chuan performance by an expert. Reports of the Faculty of Liberal Arts in Shizuoka University. 1992; 28: 21-29.
8. Sugiyama K, Katamoto K. Comparison of submaximal front crawl and breast stroke swimming in relation to energy expenditure. Ann Physiol Anthrop. 1992; 11: 635-640.
9. Sugiyama K. Aerobic and anaerobic power before and after the game preparatory period of basketball players on governmental support university. Reports of the Faculty of Liberal Arts in Shizuoka University. 1992; 28: 45-52.
10. Sugiyama K, Nakano H. Influence of different fitness on heart rate response of biginners learning ski. J Jap Society Ski Sci. 1993; 3: 57-65.
11. Sugiyama k, Kawai M, Matsui T, Miura H, Tomita H, Asai H. Heart rate responses and acute mountain sickness while ascending Mt. Fuji. Reports of the Faculty of Liberal Arts in Shizuoka University. 1994; 30: 73-83.
12. Sugiyama K, Nakano H. Attention to ski instruction for low fitness beginners based on heart rate response during ski lessons. J Jap Society Ski Sci. 1995; 5: 219-226.
13. Matsui K, Nanba K, Sugiyama K, Nakata K, Nishimura T, Tanaka S. Fluctuations in heart rates of women playing football. Proceedings of the first Asian congress on science and football. 1995; 234-240，
14. Aoki J, Naito H, Sugiyama K, Nakano H. Health-related physical fitness of Japanese children. Rep Res Cent Phys Ed. 1995; 23: 23-29.
15. Yoshida K, Murakoshi S, Sugiyama K, Kawai M, Minemura S. Three-dimensional analysis of a forehand flick stroke in table tennis. Jap Biomechanics. 1997; 318-323.
16. Sugiyama K, Kawai M. Hyperthermia and water ingestion during a basketball game played in the heat. Exercise and Society Journal of Sports Science. 1997; 18: 47-54.
17. Sugiyama K, Yoshida K, Iwaihara Y, Kawai M, Nakano H.Sexual difference in the amount of physical activity and the amount of physical activity for inactive children in preschool children during the physical play periods. Bulletin of the Faculty of Education in Shizuoka University (Natural Science Series). 1999; 49: 15-24.
18. Sugiyama K, Yoshida K, Iwaihara Y, Kawai M, Nakano H. A trouble with 24 hour heart rate measurementfor kindergarten children with a portable heart rate memory system, Vantage NV (Polar). Bulletin of the Faculty of Education in Shizuoka University (Natural Science Series). 2000; 50: 65-70.
19. Sugiyama K, Iwaihara Y, Kawai M. Development of treadmill running test to simulate heart rate response during a basketball game. Sports Medicine, Training & Rehabilitation. 1999; 9: 141-152. doi: 10.1080/15438629909512552
20. Tomita H, Sugiyama K Iwaihara Y, Tkeuchi H, Nakano H. Effects of walking with poles on cardiorespiratory responses of middle-ages men. Bulletin of the Shizuoka Institute of Science and Technology. 2000; 8: 179-187.
21. Kawai M, Sugiyama K. The examination of the class development introduced aero bike in the health and physical education class. Bulletin of the Faculty of Education in Shizuoka University (Educational Research Series). 2001; 32: 115-123.
22. Sugiyama K, Yoshida K, Murakoshi S. Racket controls and EMG responses in the upper limbs during forehand flick and forehand stop stroke receive in Table Tennis players. Bulletin of the Faculty of Education in Shizuoka University (Natural Science Series). 2002; 52: 1-6.
23. Iwaihara Y, Sugiyama K. Disc Golf as a physical education activity for university students. Bulletin of the Faculty of Education in Shizuoka University (Educational Research Series). 2002; 33: 127-136.
24. Sugiyama K, Yoshida K, Murakoshi S. EMG in Skeletal Forearm Muscles of a Highly Trained Table Tennis Player during Forehand Flick Stroke Receive in Response to an Irregularly Bounced Serve. Busan Asia Sports Congress, Proceedings. 2002; 2: 1347-1351.
25. Sugiyama K, Kawai M, Tomita H, Oyaizu K. Assessment of nutrient intake calculated by 4-group-score system for middle- and old-aged female long distance walker. Walking research. 2004; 8: 159-162.
26. Yoshida K, Sugiyama K, Murakoshi S. The technique used to receive a rotating ball in table tennis. Science and Racket Sports III, Routledge. 2004; 116-120.
27. Sugiyama K,Yoshida K, Murakoshi S. Racket control and EMG responses in the upper limbs for 15msec just before impact during forehand flick stroke receive in table tennis players. Bulletin of the Faculty of Education in Shizuoka University (Natural Science Series). 2006; 56: 1-8. doi: http://doi.org/10.14945/00001150
28. Sugiyama K, Suzuki R, Iwaihara Y, Suzuki T. The effectiveness of exercise class for early school children in the children’s Physical fitness and their parents’ questioner. National Institution for Youth Education. 2008; 8: 91-102.
29. Sugiyama K, Kawamura M, Iwaihara Y, Katamoto K. Oxygen uptake, heart rate and OMNI scale during treadmill walking in the level Nordic walking, downhill nordic walking and downhill walking. Jap J Physiol Anthropol. 2008; 13: 85-92.
30. Kubota T, Sugiyama K, Iwaihara Y, Munakata T. Relationship between self-esteem and self-efficacy for exercise in university students. Japan Association Mental Health Sociology. 2008; 14: 47-52.
31. Yoshida K, Sugiyama K, Murakoshi S. Differences between EMG of Forearm Skeletal Muscles for Flick Strokes against Backspin and No-spin Services in Table Tennis. International Journal of Table Tennis Sciences. 2010; 6: 151-154.
32. Sugiyama K, Nabetani T, Hirano T, Tanaka S. A planning of walking course for health exploiting forest resources at the area of west foot of Mt. Fuji. Walking Research. 2010; 14: 175-181.
33. Nagasawa J, Sugiyama K, et al. Oxidative stress in Hypobaric and normobaric hypoxia and antioxidant effect of oligonol. Japanese J Mountain Medicine. 2010; 30: 118-124.
34. Sasao M, Noguchi I, Sugiyama K, et al. Effect of health altitude on taste sensibility.-the tase qualitative and quantitative examination at Mt. Fuji. Japanese J Mountain Medicine. 2011; 31: 127-131.
35. Nagasawa J, Sugiyama K. Electric conductivities and autonomic responses during Mt. Fuji Climbing. Japanese J Mountain Medicine. 2011; 31: 145-152.
36. Naitou Y, Nagasawa J, Sugiyama K, et al. Fatigue Assessment by measurement of electrical conductivity during mountain climbing. Japanese J Mountain Medicine. 2012; 32: 148-154.
37. Sugiyama K, Kawamura M, Tomita H, Katamoto S. Oxygen uptake, heart rate, perceived exertion, and integrated electromyogram of the lower and upper extremities during level and Nordic walking on a treadmill. J Physiol Anthropol. 2013; 32: 2. doi: 10.1186/1880-6805-32-2
38. Sugiyama K, Hamlin MJ. Relationships between physical fitness and body mass index in 11- and 12- year-old New Zealand and Japanese school children. UNESCO open prix school Essays. 2013; 1: 195-206.
39. Iwaihara Y, Shigeoka H, Sugiyama K, et al. Attempt of Nordic walking course for promoting the establishment of spontaneous exercise habits. Walking Research. 2013; 17: 117-122.
40. Aoki K, Sugiyama K, Yamamoto H. Physiological effects of varying pole weights during Nordic walking compared to hand weight walking. Walking Research. 2013; 17: 9-14.
41. Sugiyama K. Effects of Nordic walking wearing 10kg load with baby carrier on EMG patterns of electro spine and vastus lateralis. Walking Research. 2014; 18: 11-18.
42. Iwaihara Y, Sugiyama K. Characteristics of Cardiorespiratory Responses in the Entry Level of Nordic Walking. Walking Research. 2014; 18: 51-57.
43. Abe D, Yoshida Y, Ueoka H, Sugiyama K, Fukuoka Y. Relationship between perceived exertion and blood lactate concentrations during incremental running test in young females. Sports Science, Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2015; 7: 5. doi: 10.1186/2052-1847-7-5
44. Tokinoya K, Sugiyama K, Suzuki Y, Endo M, Ohmori H. A comparison of the degree of perceived exertion by participants in Nordic walking and level walking at equal levels of relative exercise intensity. Sport Exerc Med Open J. 2016; 2(1): 1-6. doi: 10.17140/SEMOJ-2-131