Julio Boza Puerta, PhD
Senior Vice President
Research and Development
Borden Dairy Company
8750 N. Central Expressway, Suite #400
Dallas, TX 75231, USA
Julio Boza is SVP, R&D, at Borden Dairy Company based in Dallas since September 2013. Formerly, he worked for the Coca-Cola Company as Director of Health and Nutrition at the Global Scientific & Regulatory Affairs Department in Atlanta. He joined the company as Group Nutrition Director within the SRA Department at Coca-Cola Europe based in Brussels on July 2008. In April 2010, he moved to Atlanta as Nutrition Research Director in the Global R&D Department.
He joined The Coca-Cola Company from Puleva Biotech in Spain, where as a Managing Vice-Director, he was responsible for designing and investing in a research strategy and developing fortified and functional dairy products (2000-2008). Prior to that, he worked at the Nestle Research Center in Lausanne (Switzerland) from 1996 to 2000 in infant and clinical nutrition research projects. He made two postdoctoral research trainings in the UK (Institute of Food Research, Norwich) and USA (Baylor College of Medicine, Houston).
Julio Boza holds a MSc in Pharmacy and a PhD in Biochemistry from the University of Granada in Spain. He has been a Member of the ILSI Europe Board of Directors (2009-2011), Member of the Board of Directors of the Spanish Nutrition Society (2003-2008) and, since 2000, he is a Visiting Professor at the University of Granada.
His research interests include: Infant Nutrition, Clinical Nutrition, Functional Foods, Metabolism (Proteins, Lipids, Carbohydrates, Minerals and Vitamins), Dairy Foods, New Ingredients for Functional Foods, Nutrition and health claims.
• Member of the Board of Directors of the Spanish Society of Nutrition. 2003-2008.
• Visiting Professor. Food Science and Technology. Univ Granada. Since 2000.
• Visiting Professor. Nutrition and Functional Foods. Univ Balearic islands. Since 2012.
• ILSI Europe (Functional Food Task Force Member): 2002-2005.
• ILSI Europe (Addition of Nutrients Task Force Member): 2008-2010.
• ILSI Europe (Dietary Carbohydrate Task Force Member): 2008-2010.
• ILSI Europe Member of the Board of Directors: 2009-2011.
• ILSI NA (Carbohydrates Committee): since 2011.
• ILSI NA (Polyphenols Committee): since 2011.
• Director of 3 PhD Thesis.
1. Ramírez M, Hortelano P, Boza J Jr, Jiménez J, Gil A, Pita ML. Effect of Dietary Nucleotides and Orotate on the Blood Levels of Prostacyclin (PGI2) and Thromboxane (TXA2) in the Weanling Rat. Prostaglandins Leukotrienes and Essential Acids. 1991; 43: 49-54.
2. Jiménez J, Boza J Jr, Suárez MD, Gil A. Changes in Fatty Acid Profiles of Red Blood Cell Membranes Mediated by Dietary Nucleotides in Weanling Rats. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. 1992; 14: 293-299.
3. Boza J, Jiménez J, Faus MJ, Gil A. Influences of Postnatal Age and Dietary Nucleotides on Plasma Fatty Acids in the Weanling Rat. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. 1992; 16: 322-326.
4. Ayudarte MV, Nuñez MC, Boza J Jr, Jiménez J, Gil A, Suarez MD. Changes in liver microsome lipids and plasma fatty acids induced by dietary orotate in the weanling rat. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology. 1992; 103B: 65-69.
5. Boza JJ, Jiménez J, Martínez O, Suárez MD, Gil A. Nutritional value and antigenicity of two milk protein hydrolysates. Journal of Nutrition. 1994; 124: 1978-1986.
6. Boza JJ, MartínezAugustin O, Baró L, Suárez MD, Gil A. Protein versus enzymatic protein hydrolysates. Nitrogen utilization in starved rats. British Journal of Nutrition. 1995; 73: 65-71.
7. Boza JJ, MartínezAugustin O, Baró L, Suárez MD, Gil A. Influence of casein and casein hydrolysate diets on the nutritional recovery of starved rats. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. 1995; 19: 216-221.
8. Boza JJ, MartínezAugustin O, Gil A. Nutritional and antigenic characterization of an enzymatic whey protein hydrolysate. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 1995; 43: 872-875.
9. MartinezAugustin O, Boza JJ, Romera JM, Gil A. A rapid gasliquid chromatography method for the determination of lactulose and mannitol in urine. Clinical application in studies of intestinal permeability. Clinical Biochemistry. 1995; 28: 401-405.
10. Baró L, Guadix E, MartínezAugustin O, Boza JJ, Gil A. Serum amino acid concentrations in growing rats fed intact protein versus enzymatic protein hydrolysate based diets. Biology of the Neonate. 1995; 68: 55-61.
11. Boza JJ, Fox TE, Eagles J, Wilson PDG, FairweatherTait SJ. A comparison of labeling techniques in yeast: Studies on Fe, Zn, Cu and Se retention in rats. Journal of Nutrition. 1995; 125: 1611-1616.
12. Boza JJ, Jiménez J, Baró L, MartínezAugustin O, Suárez MD, Gil A. Effects of native and hydrolysed whey protein on intestinal repair of malnourished rats at weaning. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. 1996; 22: 186-193.
13. Boza JJ, Jahoor F, Reeds PJ. Ribonucleic acid nucleotides in maternal and fetal tissues derive almost exclusively from synthesis de novo in pregnant mice. Journal of Nutrition. 1996; 126: 1749-1758.
14. Jiménez J, Boza JJ, Suárez MD, Gil A. The effect of formula supplemented with n3 and n6 longchain polyunsaturated fatty acids on plasma phospholipids, liver microsomal, retinal, and brain fatty acid composition in neonatal piglets. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. 1997; 8: 217-223.
15. MartínezAugustin O, Boza JJ, Del Pino JI, Lucena J, MartínezValverde A, Gil A. Dietary nucleotides might influence the humoral response against cow milk proteins in preterm neonates. Biology of the Neonate . 1997; 71: 215-223.
16. MartínezAugustin O, Boza JJ, Navarro J, MartínezValverde A, Araya M, Gil A. Dietary nucleotides may influence the humoral immunity in immunocompromised children. Nutrition. 1997; 13: 465-469.
17. Reeds PJ, Berthold HK, Boza JJ, et al. Integration of amino acid and carbon intermediary metabolismStudies with uniformly labeled tracers and mass isotopomer analysis. European Journal of Pediatrics 1997; 156: S50-S58.
18. Boza J. Nucleotides in infant nutrition. Monatsschr Kinderheilkd. 1998; 146: S39-S48.
19. Sanz Sampelayo MR, Pérez ML, GilExtremera F, Boza JJ, Boza J. Use of different dietary protein sources for lactating goats: milk production and composition as functions of protein degradability and amino acid composition. Journal of Dairy Science. 1999; 82: 555-565.
20. Boza JJ, Moënnoz D, Vuichoud J, et al. Food Restriction and Refeeding Influence Growth, Nutrient Retention and Functional Recovery of Rats. Journal of Nutrition. 1999; 129: 1340-1346.
21. Boza JJ, Moënnoz D, Bournot CE, et al. Role of glutamine on the de novo purine nucleotide synthesis in Caco 2 cells. European Journal of Nutrition. 2000; 39 : 38-46.
22. Boza JJ, Moënnoz D, Jarret A, et al. Neither glutamine nor arginine supplementation of diets increase glutamine body stores in healthy growing rats. Clinical Nutrition. 2000; 19 : 319-325
23. Boza JJ, Maire JC, Bovetto L, Ballèvre O. Plasma glutamine response to enteral administration of glutamine in human volunteers (free glutamine vs. proteinbound glutamine). Nutrition. 2000; 16: 1037-1042.
24. Grimble GK, Malik S, Boza JJ. Methods for measuring tissue RNA turnover. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care. 2000; 3: 399-408.
25. Boza JJ, Moënnoz D, Vuichoud J, Jarret AR, GaudarddeWeck D, Ballèvre O. Commercial peptidebased vs amino acidbased diets on the nutritional recovery of the starved rat. European Journal of Nutrition. 2000; 39: 237-243.
26. Boza JJ, Turini M, Moënnoz D, et al. Effect of glutamine supplementation of the diet on tissue protein synthesis rate of glucocorticoidtreated rats. Nutrition. 2001; 17: 35-40.
27. Montigon F, Boza JJ, Fay LB. Determination of 13C and 15Nenrichment of glutamine by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry after N(O,S)ethoxycarbonyl ethyl ester derivatisation. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry. 2001; 15: 116-123.
28. Boza JJ, Dangin M, Moënnoz D, et al. Free and proteinbound glutamine have identical splanchnic extraction in healthy human volunteers. American Journal of Physiology. 2001; 281: G267-G274.
29. Krzywkowski K, Petersen EW, Ostrowski K, et al. Effect of glutamine and protein supplementation on exerciseinduced decreases in salivary IgA. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2001; 91: 832-838.
30. Krzywkowski K, Petersen EW, Ostrowski K, Kristensen JH, Boza J, Pedersen BK. Effect of glutamine supplementation on exerciseinduced changes in lymphocyte function. American Journal of Physiology. 2001; 281: C1259-C1265.
31. Boza JJ, Martínez Augustin O. Role and Function of Nucleotides in Infant Nutrition. In: Räihä NCR and Rubaltelli FF eds. Infant Formula: Closer to the Reference. Nestlé Nutrition Workshop Series. Pediatric Prgram. Vol. 47. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia. 2002; p. 165-184.
32. Faure M, Moennoz D, Montigon F, et al. Development of a rapid and convenient method to purify mucins and determine their in vivo synthesis rate in rats. Analytical Biochemistry. 2002; 307: 244-250.
33. Baró L, Fonollá J, Peña JL, et al. n3 fatty acids plus oleic acid and vitamin supplemented milk consumption reduces total and LDL cholesterol, homocysteine and levels of endothelial adhesion molecules in healthy humans. Clinical Nutrition. 2003 ; 22: 175-182.
34. Hiscock NJ, Petersen EW, Krzywkowski K, Boza J, HalkjaerKristensen J, Pedersen BK. Glutamine supplementation further enhances exerciseinduced plasma IL6. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2003; 95: 145-148.
35. Faure M, Moënnoz D, Montigon F, et al. The mucin production and composition is impaired in dextran sulfate sodiuminduced colitis in rats. Digestive Diseases and Sciences. 2003; 48: 1366-1373.
36. Turini ME, Boza JJ, Gueissaz N, et al. Shortterm dietary conjugated linoleic acid supplementation does not enhance the recovery of immunodepleted examethasonetreated rats. European Journal of Nutrition. 2003; . 42: 171-179.
37. Faure M, Moënnoz D, Montigon F, et al. Chronic colitis developed by HLAB27 transgenic rats is associated with altered in vivo mucin synthesis. Digestive Diseases and Sciences. 2004; 49: 339-346.
38. Baró L, MartínezFérez A, Rodríguez C, et al. The administration of a multivitaminmineral fortified dairy product improves folate status and reduces plasma homocysteine concentration in women of reproductive age. International Journal for Vitamin and Nutrition Research. 2004; 74: 234-240.
39. Carrero JJ , Baró L, Fonollá J, et al. Cardiovascular effects of milk enriched with n3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, oleic acid folic acid and vitamins E, B6 and B12 in volunteers with mild hyperlipidaemia. Nutrition. 2004; 20: 521-527.
40. LaraVilloslada F, Olivares M, Jimenez J, Boza J, Xaus J. Goat Milk is Less Immunogenic than Cow Milk in a Murine Model of Atopy. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. 2004; 39: 354-360.
41. Martin R, Langa S, Reviriego C, et al. The commensal microflora of human milk: new perspectives for food bacteriotherapy and probiotics. Trends in Food Science and Technology. 2004; 15: 121-127.
42. Luzón B, Schäfer S, Jiménez J, et al. Dietary Fatty Acids and Brain Mechanism of Action throughout the Lifespan. Neurology, Psychiatry and Brain Research. 2004; 11: 149-160.
43. Sierra S, LaraVilloslada F, Olivares M, Jimenez J, Boza J, Xaus J. Increased immune response in mice consuming rice bran oil. European Journal of Nutrition. 2005; 44: 509-516.
44. MartínezFerez A, Rudloff S, Guadix A, et al. Goats milk as a natural source of lactosederived oligosaccharides: Isolation by membrane technology. International Dairy Journal. 2006; 16: 173-181.
45. LaraVilloslada F, Debras E, Nieto A, et al. Oligosaccharides and growth factors isolated from goat milk reduce intestinal inflammation in a rat model of DSSinduced colitis. Clinical Nutrition. 2006; 25: 477-488.
46. LopezHuertas E, Teucher B, Boza JJ, et al. Absorption of calcium from milks enriched with fructooligosaccharides, caseinphosphopeptides, tricalcium phosphate, and milk solids. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2006; 83: 310-316.
47. Daddaoua A, Puerta V, Requena P, et al. Goat milk oligosaccharides are antiinflammatory in rats with hapteninduced colitis. Journal of Nutrition. 2006; 136: 672-676.
48. Geerlings A, Villar I, HidalgoZarco F, et al. Identification and Characterization of Novel AngiotensinConverting Enzyme Inhibitors Obtained from Goat Milk. Journal of Dairy Science. 2006; 89: 3326-3335.
49. Carrero JJ, Fonolla J, Marti JL, Jimenez J, Boza JJ, LopezHuertas E. Intake of fish oil, oleic Acid, folic Acid, and vitamins B6 and e for 1 year decreases plasma Creactive protein and reduces coronary heart disease risk factors in male patients in a cardiac rehabilitation program. Journal of Nutrition. 2007; 137: 384-390.
50. LaraVilloslada F, Olivares M, Sierra S, Rodríguez JM, Boza J, Xaus J. Beneficial effects of probiotic bacteria isolated from breast milk. British Journal of Nutrition. 2007; 98(Suppl 1): S96-S100.
51. MartinezCanavate A, LaraVilloslada F, Sierra S, et al. A probiotic dairy product containing L. gasseri CECT574 and L. coryniformis CECT5711 induces immunological changes in children suffering from allergy. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology. 2009; 20: 592-600. doi: 10.1111/j.1399-3038.2008.00833.x.
52. Fonollá J, LópezHuertas E, Machado FJ, et al. Milk enriched with healthy fatty acids improves cardiovascular risk markers and nutritional status in human volunteers. Nutrition. 2009; 25: 408-414. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2008.10.008.
53. Cepero M , Rojas FJ, Geerlings A, De la Cruz JC, Romero S, Boza JJ. Effects of a carbohydrate and carbohydrate and casein protein beverages on recovery and performance of endurance cycling capacity. Journal of Human Sport and Exercise. 2009; 4: 161-172.
54. Romeo J, DiazRopero MP, Warnberg J, et al-. Daily consumption of milk enriched with fish oil, oleic acid, minerals and vitamins reduces cell adhesion molecules in healthy children. Nutrition, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Diseases. 2011; 21: 113-120. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2009.08.023.
55. Maldonado J, LaraVilloslada F, Sierra S, et al. Safety and tolerance of the human milk probiotic strain Lactobacillus salivarius CECT5713 in six months old children. Nutrition. 2010; 1112; 108-127.
56. Sierra S, LaraVilloslada F, Sempere L, Olivares M, Boza J, Xaus J. Intestinal and immunological effects of daily oral administration of Lactobacillus salivarius CECT5713 to healthy adults. Anaerobe. 2010; 16: 195-200. doi: 10.1016/j.anaerobe.2010.02.001.
57. Casgrain A, Collings R, Harvey LJ, Boza JJ, FairweatherTait SJ. Micronutrient bioavailability research priorities. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2010; 91: 1423S-1429S
58. Vallejo F, Larrosa M, Escudero E, et al. Concentration and solubility of flavanones in orange beverages affect their bioavailability in humans. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chem. 2010; 58: 651-624. doi: 10.1021/jf100752j.
59. Cepero M, Padial R, Rojas FJ, Geerlings A, De la Cruz JC, and Boza JJ. Influence of ingesting casein protein and whey protein carbohydrate beverages on recovery and performance of an endurance cycling test. . J. Hum. Sport Exerc. 2010; 5: 158-175.