Joseph R. Shiber, MD, FACP, FACEP, FAAEM, FCCM
Departments of Emergency Medicine and the Surgical Critical Care
Co-Director Neuroscience ICU
University of Florida – College of Medicine
Jacksonville, FL, USA
Dr. Shiber completed his undergraduate degree at Johns Hopkins University in 1990 and did additional graduate studies and research at JHU and JHMI. He graduated from medical school at University of Maryland in 1996. Dr. Shiber stayed at Maryland to be the first resident in the combined Emergency and Internal Medicine (EM-IM) program and later was chief resident. He completed fellowship in Critical Care at the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center at the U. of MD. Previously he has been on faculty at East Carolina University where he was Program Director of the EM-IM residency and Medical Director of the Critical Care Consult service from 2001 to 2007. Dr. Shiber then joined the Baylor College of Medicine faculty, where he was the Director of Emergency Critical Care at Ben Taub General Hospital and an Intensivist at the Methodist Hospital of Houston. Since 2011, Dr. Shiber an Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine and Surgical Critical Care at U. FL College of Medicine – Jacksonville and the Co-Director of NSICU at U FL Health.
His research interests include: Adult resuscitation, cardiovascular and neurovascular emergency and critical care, ARDS, medical education.
AWARDS & HONORS
• (1990), Curtis R. Richter Award for Outstanding Graduate in Behavioral Biology Received B.A. with Departmental Honors, Johns Hopkins University
• (1993), Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of Maryland Prematriculation Summer Program
• (1995), Alpha Omega Alpha membership
• (1996), Earl I. Pass Award for Exceptional Proficiency in Internal Medicine, University of Maryland
• (2000), Exemplary Score on In- Service Exam, University of Maryland
• (2001), J. Dougherty Award for Outstanding Emergency Medicine Resident, All- City Inter- Residency Medical Jeopardy Champion: Baltimore, MD, 2nd Place Clinical Abstract at Maryland A.C.P. Research Day
• (2002), Semi- finalist: SAEM CPC Competition Discussant, ECU Dept of Emergency Medicine Residency Annual Faculty Teaching Award
• (2003), ECU Dept of Internal Medicine Chief Residents Certificate of Appreciation
• (2004), Elected Fellow, American College of Emergency Physicians (FACEP), Included in Whos Who in Medical Sciences Education, ECU Department of Internal Medicine, Chief Service Award of Excellence
• (2005), ECU Dept of Emergency Medicine Residency Annual Faculty Teaching Award, Mentor: Best Oral Presentation at ECU EM Residency Research Day, JEM article selected for inclusion in EM Journal Watch
• (2006), Honorary Member, ECU Alpha Epislon Delta: Pre- Medical Honor Society, Included in Whos Who in America, John Mitchell Award by Journal of Emergency Medicine for best original research article
• (2007), Included in Whos Who Among American Teachers & Educators, ECU Dept of Internal Medicine Teaching Award from 2nd Year Residents, ECU Dept of Internal Medicine Teaching Award from 3rd Year Residents, ECU Dept of Emergency Medicine Residency Annual Faculty Teaching Award
• (2008), Elected Fellow, American Academy of Emergency Medicine (FAAEM)
• (2009), Highest In- training Exam Score: U. MD Trauma/Critical Care Fellowship, Elected Chair, ACEP- Critical Care Medicine Section
• (2010), Elected Fellow, American College of Physicians (FACP), R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center 2010 Hero Award
• (2011), Included in Marquis Whos Who in Medicine and Healthcare
• (2012), Elected SCCM Committee on FCCS, Elected Fellow, American College of Critical Care Medicine (FCCM), UF Exemplary Teaching Award
• (2013), ACEP Service to Section Award, ACEP Promoting Section Membership Award of Distinction, ACEP Certificate of Appreciation for Critical Care Medicine Section
• (2014), UF Exemplary Teaching Award, ACEP Outstanding Section Newsletter Award of Distinction
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS AND LEADERSHIP
• (1995-Present), Member, AOA Honor Medical Society
• (1998-Present) Member, American College of Emergency Physicians; Chair, Section of Critical Care Medicine (2011-2013); Member, Educational Committee (2011-2012, and 2014-2016); Member, Emergency Medicine Practice Committee (2013-2015)
• (2000-Present), Member, Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
• (2001-Present), Member, American Medical Association
• (2001-2007), Member, North Carolina Medical Society
• (2005-2007), Member, North Carolina Tactical Medicine Association
• (2006-Present), Member, Alpha Epislon Delta: Pre- Medical Honor Society
• (2007-Present), Member, American College of Physicians
• (2008-Present), Member, American Academy of Emergency Medicine; Member, Board or Directors FLAAEM (2013-2015)
• (2009-Present), Member, Society of Critical Care Medicine; At-Large Board Member EM Section; Member, FCCS Committee
1. Nelson RJ, Shiber JR. Photoperiod affects responsiveness to 6MBOA in house mice. Biology of Reproduction. 1990; 43: 586-591.doi: 10.1095/biolreprod43.4.586
2. Wible CG, Shiber JR, Olton DS. Hippocampus, fibria/fornix, amygdyla and memory: object discrimination in rats. Behavioral Neuroscience. 1992; 106: 751-761.doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0735-7044.106.5.751
3. Blom MC, Shiber JR, Nelson RJ. Learned conditioned immunosupression is associated with increased risk of chemically induced tumors. Neuro immunomodulation. 1995; 2: 92-99.
4. Shiber JR, Matu A. Serum phosphate abnormalities in the emergency department. Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2002; 23(4): 395-400.doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0736-4679(02)00578-4
5. Boesiger B, Shiber JR. Subarachnoid hemorrhage diagnosis by CT and LP: Are 5th generation CT scanners better at identifying SAH? Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2005; 29(1): 23-28.doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2005.02.002
6. Shiber JR. Lactic acidosis due to nucleoside analogues. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2005; 23(4): 582-583.
7. Shiber JR. Isolated angioedema of the arytenoids. Images in Clinical Medicine. New England Journal of Medicine. 2005; 353(17).
8. Shiber JR, Santana J. Dyspnea. Medical Clinics of North America: Office Based Emergencies. NY, McGraw-Hill. 2006; 453-479. doi: 10.1016/j.mcna.2005.11.006
9. Shiber JR. Errors in emergency practice: Fourniers gangrene. Emergency Medicine. 2006; 34-35.
10. Shiber JR. Complications and benefits of drainage of massive pleural effusions. Ann Emerg Med. 2007; 49(4): 544-545.doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2006.10.031
11. Shiber JR. Suppurative Pericarditis: Acute infections and chronic complications. Hospital Physician. 2008; 44(1): 9-18.
12. Shiber JR, Fontane E, Hensler M. Pick your poison: clonidine patch ingestion. Peds Emerg Care. 2007; 23(12): 1-3.
13. Shiber JR, Wooten L. Septic digital emboli due to streptococcus pyogenes. Ann Emerg Med. 2007; 50(6): 740-748.
14. Shiber JR, Carter K. Open Mandibular Fracture with Malocclusion. Images in Clinical Medicine: New England Journal of Medicine; NEJM. 2008; 358(5): 512.doi: 10.1056/NEJMicm065053
15. Hollis J, Grangier C, Babb J, et al. Implementation of a statewide system for coronary reperfusion of ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. JAMA. 2007; 298(20): 2371-2380.
16. Shiber JR, Longley M, Brewer K. Emergency department hyperutilization. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2009; 27(5): 588-594.
17. Shiber JR. Posterior sternoclavicular dislocation. J Emerg Med. 2011; 40(3): e53-e54.
18. Shiber JR, Fines R. Cerebral hemorrhage due to hyperleukocytosis. J Emerg Med. 2011; 40(6): 674-677. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2008.11.018
19. Shiber JR, Fontane E, Adewale A. Stroke Registry: Hemorrhagic versus ischemic stroke. American Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2010; 28(3): 331-333. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2008.10.026
20. Shiber JR. Severe Non-Anion Gap Metabolic Acidosis Induced By Topiramate: A Case Report. J Emerg Med. 2010; 38(4): 494-496.doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2008.11.017
21. Pollack C, Schreiber D, Goldhaber S, et al. Initial Report of EMPEROR: A multi-site registry of emergency department patients with pulmonary embolism. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 57(6): 700-706.
22. Shiber JR, Cushman JG. Traumatic Lumbar Visceral Hernia. J Emerg Med. 2012; 43: e59-e60.doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2010.11.047
23. Shiber J, Cardarelli M. Traumatic Ventricular Septal Defect and Tricuspid Regurgitation. J Emerg Med. 2012; 43: e141-142.doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2010.11.015
24. Shiber JR, Fontane E. Bilateral Renal Artery Dissection. Trauma. 2012.
25. Shiber JR, Macindoe C, Flower O, Knight WA, Bosel J. Neurological Emergencies. Emerg Med Int. 2012.
26. Shiber JR. Pyomyositis Due to Anabolic Steroid Injection. J Emerg Med. 2013; 44: e69-e70.doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2011.06.008
27. Shiber JR, Datillo W. Prostatitis or Prostatic Abscess. J Emerg Med. 2013; 44: e121-122.
28. Shiber JR. Neurological Misdiagnosis in the ED. ED Legal Letter. 2013; 24: 32-36.
29. Shiber JR. DVT and Pulmonary Embolism with Stroke. Acta Neurologica Belgica. 2014; 114(2): 145-148.
30. Shiber JR, Journey J. Traumatic Ventral Hernia: The Seat-Belt Sign. J Emerg Med. 2014; 46(1): e19-e20. doi: 10.1016/j.jemermed.2013.08.020
31. Andrew P, Shiber JR, Habshi N, et al. Early application of airway pressure release ventilation may reduce mortality in high-risk trauma patients: a systematic review of observational trauma ARDS literature. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013; 75(4): 635-641. doi: 10.1097/TA.0b013e31829d3504
32. Shiber JR. Fear of suits stops some EPs from giving tPA. ED Legal Letter. 2013; 24: 117-120.
33. Shiber JR, Fontane E. Pick your poison: A somnolent 2-year old boy with a hyperactive brother. Peds Emerg Care. 2013; 29(9): 1033-1036.
34. Shiber JR, Fontane E, Monroe B. Olivier Syndrome: traumatic asphyxia. West J Emerg Med. 2013; 14(6): 65.doi: 10.5811/westjem.2013.7.18581
35. Shiber JR, Schmidt A. A Curious chest radiograph after line placement. J Emerg Med. 2014; 46(4): e131.doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jemermed.2013.09.019
36. Shiber JR, Fontane E. Quinckes disease: isolated uvulitis. West J Emerg Med. 2014; 15(6): 663.doi: 10.5811/westjem.2014.6.22525
37. Shiber JR, Makary R. Pulmonary-renal syndrome due to microscopic polyangiitis. Ann Emerg Med. 2014.
38. Shiber JR. Lingual angioedema due t ACE-inhibitor. Trop Med & Surg. 2014.doi: 10.4172/2329-9088.1000161
39. Shiber JR, Diaz J, Bohsali K. Bilateral anterior shoulder dislocations due to seizure. Trop Med & Surg. 2014.
40. Shiber JR, Fontane E, Prisk D. Atraumatic splenic rupture: dreaded complication of splenomegaly. Trop Med & Surg. 2014. doi: 10.4172/2329-9088.1000162