Jian Liu, PhD
Department of Health Sciences
Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
St. Catharines, ON L2S 3A1, Canada
Dr. Liu is an Associate Professor in the Department of Health, Brock University, Canada, where he teaches biostatistics and does Epidemiology research.
His research interest includes: Relationship between chronic diseases and their risk factors in population; in particular, Lipids and the cardiovascular risk prediction, The impact of early life experience on cardiovascular risk, The association between insulin resistance and the certain chronic diseases, and also life styles modification and prevention/intervention of chronic diseases.
1. Alexander R., Hay JA, Liu J, Faught BE, Engemann J, Cairney J. The influence of aerobic fitness on the relationship between academic performance and motor proficiency. Universal J Public Health. 2015; 3(4): 145-152. doi: 10.13189/ujph.2015.030402
2. Liu G., Liu J, Li N, et al. Association between Leg Length-to-Height Ratio and Metabolic Syndrome in Chinese Children Aged 3 to 6 Years. Preventive Medicine Reports. 2014; 11(2): 62-67. doi: 10.1016/j.pmedr.2014.11.002
3. Grandeur C, Chen T, Shu LG, Hay J, Jing W, She Y. when measured gestational diabetes screening mothers blood sugar levels, body mass index and huge risk children were born: Results of a perinatal cohort study. BMJ: Chinese Version (BMJ). 2014; 5: 300-305.
4. Liu J, Leng J, Tang C, et al. Maternal glucose level and body mass index measured at gestational diabetes mellitus screening and the risk of macrosomia: results from a perinatal cohort study. BMJ Open. 2014; 4: e004538. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2013-004538
5. Hajna S, Leblanc PJ, Faught BE, et al. Associations between family eating behaviours and body composition measures in peri-adolescents: Results from a community-based study of school-aged children. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2014; 105(1): e15-e21.
6. Liu J, Yuen J, Kang S. Sleep duration, C-reactive protein and risk of incident coronary heart disease – results from the Framingham Offspring Study. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2014; 24(6): 600-605. doi: 10.1016/j.numecd.2013.12.012
7. Faught BE, Rivilis I, Klentrou P, Cairney J, Hay J, Liu J. Submaximal oxygen cost during incremental exercise in children with developmental coordination disorder. Research in Developmental Disabilities. 2013; 34(12): 4439-4446. doi: 10.1016/j.ridd.2013.09.024
8. Liu J, HAY J, FAUGHT BE. The association of sleep disorder, obesity status and diabetes mellitus among us adults – the NHANES 2009-2010 survey results. International Journal of Endocrinology. 2013. doi: 10.1155/2013/234129
9. Leng JJ, Liu G, Wang J, et al. The association between glucose challenge test level and foetal nutritional status. The Journal of Maternal-Fetal & Neonatal Medicine. 2014; 27(5): 479-483. doi: 10.3109/14767058.2013.818972
10. Liu J. The impact of diabetes mellitus on pneumonia mortality in a senior population: results from the NHANES III follow-up study. Journal of Geriatric Cardiology. 2013; 10(3): 267-271. doi: 10.3969/j.issn.1671-5411.2013.03.005
11. Bogaert AF, Liu J.Physical Size and Sexual Orientation: Analysis of the Chinese Health and Family Life Survey. Archives of Sexual Behavior. 2013; 42(8): 1555-1559. doi: 10.1007/s10508-013-0110-4.
12. Liu J. Vitamin D and diabetes mellitus: what do we know?. J Hypo & Hyperglycemia.2013; 1: 1-8. doi: 10.4172/2327-4700.1000102
13. Narushima M, Liu J, Diestelkamp N. Association between the Lifelong Learning and Psychological Well-Being among Older Adults: Implications for Interdisciplinary Health Promotion in an Aging Society. Activity, Adaptation & Aging. 2013; 37(3): 239. doi: 10.1080/01924788.2013.816834
14. Narushima M, Liu J, Diestelkamp N. Motivations and perceived benefits of older learners in a public continuing education program: Influence of gender, income, and health. Educational Gerontology. 2013; 39: 569-584. doi: 10.1080/03601277.2012.704223
15. Hajna S, Liu J, LeBlanc PJ, Association between body composition and conformity to the recommendations of the Canadas Food Guide and the DASH diet in peri-adolescence. Public Health Nutrition. 2012; 15(10): 1890-1896. doi: 10.1017/S1368980012001024.
16. Liu J, Hay J, Faught BE, et al. Family eating and activity habits, diet quality and preadolescent overweight and obesity. Public Health. 2012; 126(6): 532-534. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2012.02.012
17. Liu J, Akseer N, Faught BE, Cairney J, Hay J. Using leg-length to height ratio to assess the risk of childhood overweight and obesity: results from a longitudinal cohort study. Annals of Epidemiology. 2012; 22(2): 120-125. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2011.11.002.
18. Rivilis I, Liu J, Cairney J, et al. A prospective cohort study comparing workload in children with and without developmental coordination disorder. Research in Developmental Disabilities. 2012; 33(2): 442-448. doi: 10.1016/j.ridd.2011.09.027.
19. Narushima M, Liu J, Diestelkamp N. A portrait of older learners in a public continuing education. Journal of Studies on Canadian Education. 2011; 8: 53-61.
20. Rivilis I, Hay J, Cairney J, Klentrou P, Liu J, Faught BE. Physical Activity and Fitness in Children with Developmental Coordination Disorder: A Systematic Review. Research in Developmental Disabilities. 2011; 32(3): 894-910. doi: 10.1016/j.ridd.2011.01.017.
21. Liu J, Hay J, Joshi D, Faught BE, Wade T, Cairney J.Sleep difficulties and obesity among preadolescents. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2011; 102(2): 139-143.
22. Liu J, Tan H, Jeynes B. Serum 25(OH) vitamin-D level, femur-length, and risk of type 2 diabetes among adults. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 36(2): 264-270. doi: 10.1139/h10-109.
23. Ferreira Ede O, Yates E, Jourlin M, Liu J, Domingues RM, Goldner M. Anaerobe/aerobe environmental flux determines protein expression profiles of Bacteroides fragilis, a redox pathogen. Anaerobe. 2010; 17(1): 4-14. doi: 10.1016/j.anaerobe.2010.09.004.
24. Li X, Liao B, Liu J, et al. Prevalence and risk factors for childhood obesity in Changsha and Shenzhen in China. J Cent South University (Med Sci). 2010; 35(1): 11-16. doi: 10.3969/j.issn.1672-7347.2010.01.002.
25. Liu J, Tan H, Jeynes B. Is femur length the key height component in risk prediction of type 2 diabetes among adults? Diabetes Care. 2009; 32(4): 739. doi: 10.2337/dc08-1547.
26. Liu J, Joshi D, Sempos CT. Non-high-density-lipoprotein cholesterol and cardiovascular risk factors among adolescents with and without impaired fasting glucose. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2009; 34(2): 136-142. doi: 10.1139/H08-149
27. Liu J, Wade T, Faught BE, Hay J. Physical inactivity in Canada: results from the Canadian Community Health Survey Cycle 2.2 (2004-2005). Public Health. 2008; 122(12): 1384-1386. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2008.05.007.
28. Liu J, Sempos C. Fetal Nutritional Status and Cardiovascular Risk Profile among Children. Public Health Nutr. 2007; 10(10): 1067-1075. doi: 10.1017/S136898000768389X
29. Hayes RC, Leonfellner S, Pilgrim W, Liu J, Keeling DN. Incidence of Non-melanoma Skin Cancer in New Brunswick, Canada, 1992 to 2001. J Cutaneous Med & Surgery. 2007; 11(2): 45-52. doi: 10.2310/7750.2007.00010
30. LIU J, WADE T, TAN H. Cardiovascular Risk Factors and Anthropometric Measurements of Adolescent Body Composition: A Cross-Sectional Analysis of the NHANES III. International J. of Obesity. 2007; 31(1): 59-64. doi: 10.1038/sj.ijo.0803347
31. Liu A, Tan H, Zhou J. An Epidemiologic Study of Posttraumatic Stress Disorder in Flood Victims in Hunan China. Can J Psychiatry. 2006; 51(6): 350.
32. Liu J, Sempos CT, Donahue RP, Dorn J, Trevisan M, Grundy SM. Non-High-Density-Lipoprotein and Very-Low-Density-Lipoprotein Cholesterol and their Risk Predictive Values in Coronary Heart Disease. Am J Cardio. 2006; 98(10): 1363-1368. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2006.06.032
33. Bogaert AF, Liu J. Birth order and sexual orientation in men: evidence for two independent interactions. J. Bioso. Sci. 2006; 38(6): 811-819. doi: 10.1017/S0021932005001033
34. Liu J, Sempos C, Donahue RP, Dorn J, Trevisan M, Grundy SM. The Joint Distribution of Non-HDL and LDL Cholesterol and Coronary Heart Disease Risk Prediction among Individuals with and without Diabetes.). Diabetes Care. 2005; 28(8): 1916-1921. doi: 10.2337/diacare.28.8.1916
35. Trevisan M, Liu J, Muti P, et al. Risk Factors and Life Expectancy Research Group. Markers of insulin resistance and colorectal cancer mortality. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2001; 10(9): 937-941.
36. Trevisan M, Liu J, Bahsas FB, Menotti A. Syndrome X and Mortality: A Population-based Study. Am J Epidemiol. 1998; 148(10): 958-966.
37. Liu J, Trevisan M, Menotti A. Syndrome X: prevalence in a large population-based study. Nutr, Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 1997; 7(1): 70-75.
38. Liu J. The application of a gray model in evaluation of the development of children (Chinese). J. of Chinese Modern Medical Science. 1994; 319-321.
39. Yi P, Chang N, Liu J. Comparison in AIDS-KAP among 2,158 university and high school students in Changsha City. Bulletin of Hunan Medical University. 1993; 18: 453-455.
40. Liu J, Huang Z, Sun Z. The application of the ARMA model in the evaluation of seasonal influence on the birth rate (Chinese). J of Chinese Health Statistics. 1993; 16(4): 341-343.
41. Liu J, Lo J, Liu S, Deng K. The influence of spouses behavioral type on patients with hypertension (Chinese). J. of Hunan Medicine. 1993; 21(6): 33-35.
42. LIU J. The application of time series analysis in modifying the regression forecasting model (Chinese). J. Medical Mathematics. 1990; 3(2): 18-24.