Jennifer DeFeo, PhD
Licensed Clinical Psychologist-Private Practice
Interim Associate Chair of the Department of Marriage and Family Therapy
Distinguished Professor of Psychology
Chicago School of Professional Psychology
30 Carmel Court Laguna Beach
Irvine, CA, 92651, USA
Dr. Jennifer DeFeo, a native New Yorker, graduated with her Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology (Marriage and Family Therapy) from Antioch University, Santa Barbara in 2002 and Doctorate of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology with a Health Track from the California School of Professional Psychology (Alliant) in 2008.
Dr. DeFeo has specialized in working with the severely mentally ill populations in both inpatient and outpatient care, as well as in the New York State psychiatric hospital system, multiple forensic settings. Dr. DeFeos specialty additionally extends to at-risk youth, children and adolescents, family, gangs, LGBT, and HIV/AIDS populations. Dr. DeFeo presently has a private practice in Irvine, California where she serves the severely mentally ill, adolescent male, men’s issues, LGBT, depressive and anxiety populations.
Dr. DeFeo is noted as one of the leading experts of the DSM-5 in the State of California. She has conducted over 30 state, national, and international trainings on the topic. Dr. DeFeo was the highlighted presenter at the 18th Annual Inter-national Violence, Abuse, and Trauma Conference (IVAT) in San Diego in September, 2013, the 18th Annual IVAT Conference in Honolulu, Hawaii in March, 2014, and the Illinois American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Annual Conference in Naperville, Illinois to conduct a full 7 hour workshop to educate Clinical Psychologists, Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, Psychiatrists, and Medical Doctors/Professionals on the DSM-5 and ICD-10 diagnostic systems. Additionally, Dr. DeFeo is working with the Mexican Board of Professionals to institute the DSM-5 into the Mexican Higher Education Institutions. Dr. DeFeo also has presented at the First Annual Latino-American Conference in Buenos Aires, Argentina training Psychologists from Argentina, Panama, Chile, and Equador on the DSM-5 and ICD-10 Systems.
Dr. DeFeo presently is a California licensed psychologist, distinguished professor of psychology, and Interim Associate Chair for the Department of Marriage and Family Therapy for the Chicago School of Professional Psychology in Irvine, California where she has been working since 2010. Dr. DeFeo also is a senior reviewer and editor for the Journal of Psychiatry and the Journal of Hispanic Higher Education, and the Chair of the CARE Program for the California Psychological Association.
Her research interests include: Depression, Psychosis, Anxiety.
• (2004) Pride, San Diego, Best San Diego Youth Community Leader, Best HIV/AIDS Awareness Community Leader, Best Developed Youth Community Leadership Council
• (2004) PFLAG, San Diego Most Successful Youth Community Leader
• (2007) Alliant International University, Honorable Mention for Persico Scholorship
• (2011) Chicago School of Professional Psychology, Star Faculty of the Year
• (2012) Chicago School of Professional Psychology, Star Faculty of the Year
• (2012-2013) Chicago School of Professional Psychology Distinguished Professor Award: Excellence in Teaching Award (All Campuses)
PROFESSIONAL COMMUNITY ROLES
• (2014-Present) California Psychological Association Chair- Colleague Awareness Resources and Education Program (CARE) – Through the American Psychological Association Practice Organization
• (2013-Present) Journal of Hispanic Higher Education Editor/JReviewer
• (2013-Present) Journal of Psychiatry Senior Editor
• (2013-Present) International Violence, Abuse, and Trauma Conferences San Diego, CA Alliant International University (California School of Professional Psychology) Co-Chair of Children Exposed to Violence Committee
ACADEMIC COMMITTEE ROLES
• (March 2012-March 2014) Academic Effectiveness Review Committee (Chair for the Southern California Campuses (Irvine, Los Angeles, Westwood)
• (March 2012-March 2014) National Academic Effectiveness Review Committee (NAERC) Co-Chair for the National Campuses (Southern California, Chicago, Washington DC)
• (March 2012-Present) Latino Mental Health Committee Southern California Representative
• (November 2013-Present) Strategic Planning Advisory Committee (SPAC) Southern California Representative
• (October 2014-Present) Student Affairs Committee (SAC) – Southern California Campuses Committee Member
• Board member for organizations such as PFLAG
• Youth Pride San Diego
• Jane Cusamano Breast Cancer Foundation
• California Marriage Equality
• (Currently) Board member for the Norooz Clinic in Irvine, California
1. DeFeo J. Understanding Sexual, Paraphilic, and Gender Dysphoria Disorders in the DSM-5. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse. Taylor and Francis. 2013.