Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Director, University of Toronto Hair Clinic
Womens College Hospital
Assistant Professor of Dermatology
University of Toronto
Hair Transplant Surgeon &
Medical Director, Donovan Medical
Toronto, ON M5S 1B2, Canada
Dr. Donovan is a US and Canadian board-certified dermatologist specializing exclusively in hair transplantation and hair loss. His offices are based in Toronto and Vancouver, Canada. He is certified by the American Board of Dermatology and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. He received his medical degree from the University of Ottawa. His post-graduate clinical training in Dermatology and PhD studies in molecular biology were conducted at the University of Toronto.
Dr. Donovan is an Assistant Professor at the University of Toronto and conducts research in multiple areas of hair loss. He currently serves as a medical advisor to several hair loss organizations, including the Canadian Alopecia Areata Foundation (CaNAAF) and the Canadian Association of Scarring Alopecias (CASA) and the Canadian Hair Loss Foundation, a consultant to numerous cosmetic and hair research companies around the world and an independent medical examiner for individuals who may have experienced hair loss from injury.
His current research interests include: Hair transplantation, Hair loss in women, Scarring alopecia, Ethnic hair disorders and alopecia areata.
AWARDS AND HONORS
• (2014) Canadian Skin Patient Alliance Pro-Patient Dermatologist Honoree
• (2013) Canadian Skin Patient Alliance Pro-Patient Dermatologist Honoree
• (2012) Canadian Skin Patient Alliance Pro-Patient Dermatologist Honoree
• (2012) International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery Grant Awardee
• (2012) 1st Place Poster, Best Practical Tip, International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery 20th Annual Meeting, Bahamas
• (2012) Outstanding Lecturer in Dermatology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
• (2011) International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery , 2011 Annual Meeting, 1st Place. Poster Presentation
• (2011) Selected as participant, 2011 Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology Editorial Mentorship Program
• (2010) Selected as participant, 2010-2011 American Academy of Dermatology Academic Dermatology Leadership Program
• (2010) 1st Runner-Up, Evert C. Fox Award in Basic Laboratory Research, 2010 American Academy of Dermatology Resident and Fellows Symposium, Miami, FL USA
• (2010) Co-Recipient, Best Paper in Dermatologic Surgery, Division of Dermatology, University of Toronto
• (2010) Canadian Skin Patient Alliance “Pro-Patient” Dermatologist Honoree
• (2009) Canadian Professors of Dermatology/La Roche Posay Award, Best Presentation at Canadian Society of Investigative Dermatology Annual Meeting 2009
• (2009) Canadian Dermatology Association, Resident & Fellows Society-2009 Resident Teaching Award
• (2009) Division of Dermatology, University of Toronto-2009 Colin A. Ramsay Resident Teacher Award
• (2009) Division of Dermatology, University of Toronto-2009 Administration Award
• (2009) Division of Dermatology, University of Toronto-2009 Resident Research Award
• (2009) North American Hair Research Society Mentorship Award
• (2009) American Society of Dermatologic Surgery Preceptorship Award (Training in Hair Transplantation
• (2008) Award Winner, Dermatology Times of Canada Writing Contest
• (2008) Canadian Professors of Dermatology Award/La Roche Posay Award, Best Presentation at Canadian Society of Investigative Dermatology Annual Meeting 2008
• (2008) 2nd Runner-Up Evert C. Fox Award in Basic Laboratory Research, 2008 American Academy of Dermatology Resident and Fellows Symposium, San Antonio, TX USA
• (2008) Medical Dermatology Society Mentorship Award
• (2007) Award Winner, Dermatology Times of Canada Writing Contest
• (2007) Outstanding Poster Recognition Award, 2007 World Congress of Dermatology
• (2007) Best Presentation Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada Annual Meeting, Winnipeg, Canada
• (2007) Meredith Fellowship for Research in Immunology
• (2007) Canadian Professors of Dermatology Award, Best Presentation Oral Plenary Session. Canadian Dermatology Association Annual Meeting. Toronto
• (2007) Toronto Western Research Institute Research Day- 1st Place in Basic Research
• (2007 1st Prize Poster, Department of Medicine Charles Hollenberg Clinician Educator Research Day
• (2007) Scholarship, Society for Investigative Dermatology, Retreat for Future Academicians
• (2007) World Congress of Dermatology Scholarship
• (2007) Alexander A. Fisher Gold Award for “Best Resident Presentation” American Contact Dermatitis Society 2007 Annual Meeting. Washington, DC
• (2006) American Society of Dermatopathology Mentorship Award
• (2006) Canadian Professors of Dermatology/La Roche-Posay Award, Canadian Society of Investigative Dermatology Annual Meeting
• (2006) Canadian Medical Association Leadership Innovation Award
• (2006) Martin- Goodman-Feher Award for Best Presentation, University of Toronto Resident Research Day in Dermatology
• (2006) Alexander A. Fisher Award for Best Resident Presentation, American Contact Dermatitis Society 2006 Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA
• (2005) Dowling Club/ British Association of Dermatologists Scholarship
• (2005) Best Presentation Hospital for Sick Children Dermatology Resident Research Day
• (2005) R.K. Schachter Award, Best Resident Research Publication 2004-2005
• (2004) Best Presentation Toronto Western Hospital Clinical Research
• International Society for Hair Restoration Surgery
• North American Hair Research Society
• American Academy of Dermatology
• Canadian Dermatology Association
• Canadian Medical Association
1. Perrin A, Donovan JC. Lichen planopilaris following whole Brain Irradation. Int J Dermatol 2014; 53: e468-e470. doi:10.1111/ijd.12576
2. Donovan JC, Mirmirani P. Transversely sectioned biopsies in the diagnosis of end-stage traction alopecia. Dermatology Online Journal. 2013.
3. Donovan JC. Lichen Planopilaris following Hair Transplantation: Report of 17 Cases. Dermatologic Surgery. 2012; 38: 1998-2004.
4. Salsberg J and Donovan JC. The Safety and Efficacy of Diphencyprone for the Treatment of Alopecia Areata in Children. Archives of Dermatology. 2012; 148: 1084-1085. doi:10.1001/archdermatol.2012.1622
5. Donovan JC, Shapiro RL, Shapiro P, Zupan M, Pierre-Louise M, Hordinsky MK. A review of scalp camouflaging agents and prostheses for individuals with hair loss. Dermatology Online Journal. 2012; 18: 1.
6. Donovan JC. Scarring (Cicatricial) Alopecia: Simple Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment in 2011. Biologics in Dermatology. 2011.
7. St. Pierre SA, Vercelloti GM, Donovan JC, Hordinsky MK. Iron deficiency and diffuse non scarring hair loss in women: more pieces to the puzzle. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2010; 63: 1070-1076. doi:10.1016/j.jaad.2009.05.054
8. Donovan JC, Samrao A, Ruben BS and Price VH. Eyebrow regrowth in frontal fibrosing alopecia patients treated with triamcinolone acetonide. British Journal of Dermatology. 2010; 163: 1142-1144. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2133.2010.09994.x
9. Donovan JC, Price VH. Chloroquine induced hair hypopigmentation. New England Journal of Medicine. 2010; 363: 372. doi:10.1056/NEJMicm0912609
10. Donovan JC. A Survey of Program Directors Views on Mentorship. Dermatology Online Journal. 15(9): 1.
11. Donovan JC, Kudla I, Dekoven JG. Rapid development of allergic contact dermatitis to dicyclohexylmethane-4,4’diisocyanate. Dermatitis. 2009, 20: 214-217.
12. Donovan JC. Mentoring satisfied residents. Archives of Dermatology. 2009; 145: 335-336. doi:10.1001/archdermatol.2008.62
13. Donovan A, Donovan JC. Mentorship in medicine: potential implications beyond the mentee-mentor relationship. Medical Teacher. 2009; 31: 874.
14. Donovan A, Donovan JC. Mentorship in post-graduate training programs: views of Canadian programme directors. Medical Education. 2009; 43: 155-158. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2923.2008.03258.x
15. Donovan JC. Mentorship in dermatology residency training programs: charting the right course. Dermatology Online Journal. 2009; 15(5): 3.
16. Donovan JC. A review of the hair follicle origin hypothesis for basal cell carcinoma. Dermatologic Surgery. 2009; 35(9): 1311-1323. doi:10.1111/j.1524-4725.2009.01236.x
17. Donovan JC, Ghazarian D, Shaw JC. Scarring alopecia associated with the use of gefitinib. Archives of Dermatology. 2008; 144(11): 1524-1525. doi:10.1001/archderm.144.11.1524
18. Donovan JC, Kudla I, Holness L. Hand dermatitis in the automechanic and machinist. Dermatitis. 2007; 18(3): 143-149.
19. Donovan JC, Skotnicki-Grant S. Allergic contact dermatitis to textile formaldehyde resins in surgical greens and non-woven textile masks. Dermatitis. 2007; 18(1): 40-44.
20. Donovan JC, Shaw JC. Compliance with sun protection following organ transplantation. Archives of Dermatology. 2006; 142(9): 1232-1233. doi:10.1001/archderm.142.9.1232
21. Donovan JC and DeKoven JG. Cross-reactions to desoximetasone and mometasone furoate in a patient with multiple topical corticosteroid allergies. Dermatitis. 2006; 17: 147-151.
22. Donovan JC and Shaw JC. High-risk skin cancer as a contraindication to organ transplantation: maximizing the likelihood of transplant. American Journal of Transplantation. 2006; 6: 242. doi:10.1111/j.1600-6143.2005.01160.x
23. Donovan JC, Hayes RC, Burgess K, Leong IT, Rosen CF. Refractory erosive lichen planus associated with hepatitis C: response to topical tacrolimus ointment. Journal of Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. 2005; 9: 43-46.
24. Donovan JC, Rosen CF, Shaw JC. Evaluation of sun-protective practices of organ transplant recipients. American Journal of Transplantation. 2004; 4: 1852-1858. doi:10.1111/j.1600-6143.2004.00584.x
25. Donovan JC, Rothenstein JM, Slingerland JM. Non-malignant and tumor-derived cells differ in their requirement for p27Kip1 in transforming growth factor-beta-mediated G1 arrest. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2002; 277: 41686-41692. doi:10.1074/jbc.M204307200
26. Kinrade SD, Donovan JC, Schach AS, Knight CTG. Two substituted cubic octameric silicate cages in aqueous solution. Journal of the Chemical Society Dalton Transactions. 2002; 1250-1252. doi:10.1039/B107758A
27. Donovan JC, Milic A, Slingerland JM. Constitutive MEK/MAPK activation leads to p27(Kip1) deregulation and antiestrogen resistance in human breast cancer cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2001; 276: 40888-40895. doi:10.1074/jbc.M106448200
28. Sandhu C, Donovan JC, Bhattacharya N, Stampfer M, Worland P, Slingerland J. Reduction of Cdc25A contributes to cyclin E1-Cdk2 inhibition at senescence in human mammary epithelial cells. Oncogene. 2000; 19: 5314-5323.
29. Cariou S, Donovan JC, Flanagan WM, Milic A, Bhattacharya N, Slingerland JM. Down-regulation of p21WAF1/CIP1 or p27Kip1 abrogates antiestrogen-mediated cell cycle arrest in human breast cancer cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. 2000; 97: 9042-9046. doi:10.1073/pnas.160016897
30. Weinrib L, Li JH, Donovan JC, Huang D, Liu FF. Cisplatin chemotherapy plus adenoviral p53 gene therapy in EBV-positive and -negative nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Gene Therapy. 2001; 8: 352-360.
31. Donovan J, Slingerland J. Transforming growth factor-beta and breast cancer: Cell cycle arrest by transforming growth factor-beta and its disruption in cancer. Breast Cancer Research. 2000; 2: 116-124.
32. Li JH, Donovan JC, Sun BF, Liu FF. Inhibition of protein kinase C activity promotes heat-induced apoptosis in RIF-1 but not in TR-4 cells. International Journal of Radiation Biology. 1999; 75: 903-911.