Janelle Lyn Yorke, PhD
School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Work
University of Manchester
Room 5.320, Jean McFarlane University
Manchester M13 9PL, UK
• (2006-2009) University of Salford PhD. Topic: Quantification of breathlessness using descriptors in cardiopulmonary disease]. Supervisor: Professor Paul Jones
• (2004-2005) Imperial College London Certificate of Advanced Study in Learning and Teaching (PGCE equivalent).
• (2000-2002) Australian Catholic University Masters of Research. Topic: Patients perceptions of pain management post cardiac surgery]. Supervisor: Professor Marianne Wallis
• (1996-1998) Australian Catholic University Post Graduate Diploma in Cardiothoracic Nursing
• (1988-1991) University of Western Sydney Diploma of Applied Science (Nursing).
Her research focuses on the assessment and self-management of complex symptoms.
• Travel Scholarship Awarded by: Asthma UK, 2010, European Respiratory Conference, Barcelona
• Travel Scholarship Awarded by: British Lung Foundation, 2009, European Respiratory Conference, Vienna
• Travel Scholarship Awarded by: Dyspnea-Central International Travel Award, 2009, USA
• Marjorie Simpson New Researcher of the Year Awarded by: Royal College of Nursing, 2007
• Elizabeth Yeo Best Oral Presentation Awarded by: Transplant Nurses Annual Conference, 2003
• Best Paper Awarded by: St Vincents Hospital Monograph, 2001
• Best Poster Presentation Awarded by: Transplant Nurses Association, 2001
• Peer Recognition Award Awarded by: St Vincents Hospital, 2001, Sydney
• Best Presentation voted by the audience Awarded by: St Vincents Nursing Research Symposium, 2001, Sydney
• Best Presentation voted by committee Awarded by: St Vincents Nursing Research Symposium, 2001, Sydney
• Research Scholarship Awarded by: St Vincents Nursing Research Unit, 2000
• Highly Commended – Post Graduate Diploma in Cardiothoracic Nursing Awarded by: Australian Catholic University
Membership Of Professional Bodies
• RGN – Registration with NMC (UK)
• British Thoracic Society – Nurse Advisory Group
• American Thoracic Society – member of Nursing Assembly Scientific committee 2011
• European Respiratory Society
• Royal College of Nursing Research Society – NW Regional Chair and New
• Researcher Award Chair of the judging panel
Peer reviewed Publications
1. Garrow A, Yorke J, et al. Systematic review of patient-reported outcome measures for sleep in COPD. International Journal of COPD. 2014.
2. Yorke J. Management of breathlessness in advanced disease. J CommNurs.
3. Yorke J, Bundock S, Armstrong I. TheimPHact of living with pulmonary hypertension: a qualitative exploration. Nursing & Health Sciences. 2014.
4. PaudyalP, Hine P, Theadom A, et al. Written Emotional Disclosure for asthma. Cochrane Database Sys Rev. 2014.
5. Yorke J, Corris P, Gaine S, et al. emPHasis-10: development of a health-related quality of life measure for pulmonary hypertension. EurRespir J. 2014; 43: 1106-1113. doi: 10.1183/09031936.00127113
6. Yorke J, Spencer L, Kwong G, et al. Cross-Atlantic modification and validation of the – A Tool to Assess Quality of Life in Idiopathic Pulmonary Hypertension (ATAQ-cA). BMJ Open Respiratory Research. 2014. doi: 10.1136/bmjresp-2014-000024
7. Al Gamal E, Yorke J, Al-Shwaiyat MK. Dyspnoea-12-Arabic: testing of an instrument to measure breathlessness in Arabic patients with COPD. Heart Lung. 2014; 43(3): 244-248. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2014.02.003
8. Yorke J, Armstrong I. Assessment of breathlessness in pulmonary hypertension: validation of the Dyspnoea-12. Eur J CardiovascNurs. 2013. doi: 10.1177/1474515113514891
9. Al Gamal E , Yorke J. Perceived breathlessness and psychological distress among patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and their spouses. Nursing Health & Sciences. 2013. doi: 10.1111/nhs.12073
10. Armstrong I, Harries C, Rochnia N, Bundock S, Yorke J. The trajectory to diagnosis with pulmonary hypertension: a qualitative study. BMJ Open. 2012. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2011-000806
11. Molassiotis A, Cellis J, Wagland R, et al. The Manchester Cough in Lung Cancer scale: the development and validation of a new assessment tool. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2012; 45(2): 179-190. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2011-000806
12. Yorke J, Brettle A, Molassiotis A. Non-pharmacological interventions for managing respiratory symptoms in lung cancer. Chronic Respiratory Disease. 2012 (2):117-129. doi: 10.1177/1479972312441632
13. Grant M, Cavanagh A, Yorke J. The impact of caring for those with COPD on carers psychological well-being: a narrative review. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2012; 49(11): 1459-1471. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.02.010
14. Al-Shair K, Muellerova H, Yorke J, et al. Examining fatigue in COPD: development, validity and reliability of a modified version of FACIT-F scale. Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2012; 10(1): 100. doi: 10.1186/1477-7525-10-100
15. Yorke J, Horton M, Jones PW. A critique of Rasch analysis for the development of health-related instruments. Journal of AdvancedNursing. 2012; 68(1):191-198. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05723.x
16. Yorke J, Russell A, Swigris J, et al. Assessment of dyspnoea in asthma: validation of the Dyspnoea-12. Journal of Asthma. 2011; 48(6): 602-608. doi: 10.3109/02770903.2011.585412
17. Yorke J, Swigris J, Russell AM, et al. Dyspnoea-12 is a valid and reliable measure of breathlessness in patients with interstitial lung disease. Chest. 2011; 139(1): 159-164. doi: 10.1378/chest.10-0693
18. Robson V, Yorke J, Lowe D, Rogers S. Randomised controlled feasibility trial on the use of medical grade honey following microvascular free tissue transfer to reduce the incidence of wound infection. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 50(4): 321-327. doi: 10.1016/j.bjoms.2011.07.014
19. Yorke J, Jones PW, Swigris J. Development and validity testing of an IPF-specific version of the SGRQ (the SGRQ-I). Thorax . 2010; 65: 921-926. doi: 10.1136/thx.2010.139121
20. Yorke J, Moosavi S, Shuldham C, Jones PW. Quantification of dyspnoea using descriptors: Development and initial testing of the Dyspnoea-12. Thorax . 2010; 65(1): 21-26. doi: 10.1136/thx.2009.118521
21. Yorke J, Rochnia N,Walters S, et al. Maintenance rehabilitation for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2010; 11.
22. Swigris J, Yorke J, Sprunger D, Du BR, Fischer A. The impact of dyspnoea on patients with connective tissue disease-related ILD. Respiratory Medicine. 2010; 104(9): 1350-1355.
23. Iley K, McInulty L, Jones I, Yorke J, Johnson M. Developing competence in cardiac care through the use of blended learning: course members and mentors accounts. Nurse Education Today. 2010; 31(4): 323-327. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2010.06.009
24. Theadom A, Smith H, Yorke J, et al. Written emotional disclosure for asthma. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2009; 2.
25. Shuldham C, Fleming S, Yorke J. Undertaking a systematic review: the road to successful completion. Journal of Research in Nursing. 2008; 13(4): 182-198. doi: 10.1177/1744987108093527
26. Yorke J, Cameron TE. Patients perceived care needs whilst waiting for a heart or lung transplant. Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness. 2008); 17: 78-87. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02078.x
27. Cowlard J, Carr S, Yorke J. Understanding adolescents adherence to their cystic fibrosis treatments. 2008.
28. Yorke J, Fleming S, Shuldham C. Psychological interventions for adults with asthma: A systematic review. Respiratory Medicine. 2007; 101: 1-4. doi: 10.1016/j.rmed.2006.04.003
29. Yorke J, Fleming S, Shuldham C. A systematic review of psychological interventions for children with asthma. Paediatric Pulmonology. 2007; 42: 114-124. doi: 10.1002/ppul.20464
30. Yorke J, Parle M, James M, et al. Lung Transplantation in adolescents and young adults with cystic fibrosis. Progress in Transplantation. 2006; 16: 343-354.
31. Yorke J, Fleming SL, Shuldham CM. Psychological interventions for adults with asthma. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2006; 1. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD002982.pub3
32. Yorke J, Shuldham C. Family therapy for asthma in children. Cochrane Database of SystematicReviews. 2005; 2.
33. Yorke J, Fleming S, Shuldham C. Psychological interventions for children with asthma. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2005; 4. doi: doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD003272.pub2
34. Yorke J. Dyspnoea and Pain: an interesting analogy. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 2008; 17: 841-842. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2008.02299.x
35. Yorke J, Wallis M, McClean B. Patients perceptions of pain management following cardiac surgery in an Australian Critical Care Unit. Heart Lung. 2004; 33: 33-41. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2003.09.002