Hossam El Beheiry, MBBCh, PhD, FRCPC
Department of Anesthesia
University of Toronto
27 Kings College Cir
Toronto, ON M5S, Canada
Dr. El Beheiry is an Assistant Professor of Anesthesia at the University of Toronto. He obtained his Anesthesia FRCP specialty certificate in Anesthesia in 1994. He had a PhD from the Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. He also spent a year as a Fellow in Clinical Pharmacology at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. He is trained as a neuroanethesiologist and had Clinical Fellowship training in Neuroanesthesia at the University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He practiced at the University Health Network, The Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada from 1995 to 2007 and then he moved to the Trillium Health Partners, Mississauga Hospital and Queensway Health Centre since 2008. His interests are currently focused on clinical neuroanesthesia particularly EEG signal processing in collaboration with the Institute for Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering, the University of Toronto.
Her research interest includes: Molecular Mechanisms of anesthetic actions in young and aging neurons, Geriatric Anesthesia, Clinical Neuroanesthesia (Depth of anesthesia research)
HONORS AND AWARDS
• (1988-1989) UBC Graduate Fellowship, University of British Columbia
• (1990-1991) Merck-Frost Fellowship, Canadian Society for Clinical Pharmacology
• (1995-1998) Postdoctoral Research Heart and Stroke Foundation Fellowship of Canada
• (2014) Excellence in Medical Teaching, Trillium Health Partners
• Society for Neuroscience, Washington DC
• Society of Neurosurgical Anesthesia and Critical Care
• European Society of Anaesthesiology
• International Anesthesia Research Society
1. Wentlandt K, Samoilova M, Carlen PL, El Beheiry H. General Anesthetics Inhibit Gap Junction Communication in Cultured Organotypic Hippocampal Slices. Anesthesia and analgesia 2006; 102(6):1692-8.
2. El-Beheiry H, Kavanagh B. Is propofol neurotoxic to the developing brain?. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia 2006; 53(11): 1069-1073. doi:10.1007/BF03022872
3. McGuire G, El-Beheiry H, Manninen P, Lozano A, Wennberg R. Activation of electrocorticographic activity with remifentanil and alfentanil during neurosurgical excision of epileptogenic focus. British journal of anaesthesia 2003; 91(5): 651-655. doi:10.1093/bja/aeg241
4. Todd M, Hindman BJ, William R, Clarke WR, Torner JC, for the Intraoperative Hypothermia for Aneurysm Surgery Trial (IHAST) investigators. Mild Intraoperative Hypothermia during Surgery for Intracranial Aneurysm. New England journal of medicine 2005; 352: 135-145. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa040975
5. El-Beheiry H, Ouanounou A, Carlen PL. Modulation of calcium influx reverses anaesthetic actions on aged hippocampal neurons. Neuroscience. 2007; 147(1):117-126.
6. Ismail M, Derchanski M, Husseini M, et al. Mechanisms of morphine enhacement of spontaneous seizure activities. Anesthesia and analgesia 2007; 105(6): 1729-1735.
7. Wong J, El Beheiry H, Rampersaud YR, et al. Tranexamic Acid reduces perioperative blood loss in adult patients having spinal fusion surgery. Anesth Analg. 2008; 107(5): 1479-1486. doi:10.1213/ane.0b013e3181831e44
8. El Beheiry H, Wong J, Nair G, et al. Improved esophageal patency when inserting the ProSeal laryngeal mask airway with an Eschmann tracheal tube introducer. Can J Anaesth. 2009; 56(10): 725-732. doi:10.1007/s12630-009-9141-7
9. Kang EE, Zalay OC, El Beheiry H, et al. Spectral features of electroencephalogram in characterizing various brain states under anesthesia. Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society 2011; 3099-102. doi:10.1109/IEMBS.2011.6090846.
10. El Beheiry. Protecting the brain during neurosurgical procedures: strategies that can work. Current opinion in anaesthesiology 2012; 25(5): 548-555. doi:10.1097/ACO.0b013e3283579622
11. El Beheiry H, Mak P. Effects of aging and propofol on the cardiovascular component of the autonomic nervous system. Journal of clinical anesthesia 2013; 25(8): 637-643. doi:10.1016/j.jclinane.2013.07.004.
12. Devereaux PJ, Sessler DI, Leslie K, et al. Clonidine in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery. New England journal of medicine 2014; 370(16): 1504-1513. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1401106
13. Devereaux PJ, Mrkobrada M, Sessler DI, et al. Aspirin in patients undergoing noncardiac surgery. New England journal of medicine 2014; 370(16): 1494-1503. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1401105