Halyna Mokrushyna, PhD
Department of Sociology
University of Ottawa
Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5, Canada
Dr. Mokrushyna is a Part-Time Professor of Sociology at the University of Ottawa and a PhD candidate at the School of Sociological and Anthropological studies at the University of Ottawa. She is currently finishing her doctoral dissertation which deals with the memory of Great Terror in Ukraine. She holds a Doctoral Degree in Ukrainian language from the Institute of Linguistics of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (Kyiv), an MA in communication from the University of Ottawa, and a BA in French language and literature from the Ivan Franko University in Lviv, Ukraine. Dr. Mokrushyna has written extensively on the current political situation in Ukraine. She is a contributing editor of the New Cold War: Ukraine and beyond website. Her articles have been published on Counterpunch, Truthdig and Truthout websites. She is a specialist in second language acquisition. She has taught French as a second language and has been working as a tester for Russian and Ukrainian language and a teacher of Russian and Ukrainian for Interlangues, a language school providing multilanguage services to the Canadian government. She has also developed training plans and teaching aids. She worked as a Journalist for the Ukrainian section of Radio Canada International, first – in Montreal, as an occasional producer, and then – as correspondent in Ottawa. In Ottawa she also volunteered as a reporter and replacement producer for the Ukrainian program of the multicultural CHIN radio station. She is a translator of philosophical and historical works. Most recently she translated from Russian into French the writings of Pamfil Yurkevych, Ukrainian philosopher of XIX century.
Her research interests include: Democracy and democratization, Theory of totalitarianism, Post-communist transition, Collective memory, Transitional justice, Theory of Marxism and socialism, and Nationalism.
• Member of the Canadian Association of Slavists
• Member of the Canadian Association of Ukrainian Studies
• Member of the Society for Socialist Studies
• Member of the Geopolitical Economy Research Group
1. Mokrushyna H. Numerous articles on the current political crisis in Ukraine, published in Counterpunch and Truthout. Can be found here: http://newcoldwar.org/category/articles-by-author/halyna-mokrushyna/
2. Mokrushyna H. Contributor of op-eds to the El Café – a community of experts of The Dauly Journalist web-site: http://thedailyjournalist.com/elcafe/obama-s-legacy-was-it-good-or-bad/
3. Mokrushyna H. Duty to remember or duty to forget? Memory of Stalin purges in Lviv and Donetsk. Paper. ASN World Convention, Columbia University, 2014.
4. Mokrushyna H. Before and after Maidan. Article. The Ukraine List, #469, 2014.
5. Mokrushyna H. Is the classic diaspora transnational and hybrid? The case of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress. Nations and Nationalism. 2013; 19(4): 799-818. doi: 10.1111/nana.12032