Godwin K. Simon, MD, FRCP
Consultant Physician of Acute Medicine, Diabetes & Endocrinology
Basildon and Thurrock University Hospital NHS Trust
Nethermayne, SS165NL, UK
FRCP 2013 Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons,Glasgow
CCT 2009 Joint Royal College of Physicians Training Board,UK
MRCP 2004 Royal College of Physicians, UK
MD General Medicine 1998 PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
M.B.B.S 1994 Medical College Thrissur,University of Calicut, India
1/10/2013-Present Consultant Physician, Acute Medicine, Diabetes & Endocrinology Basildon & Thurrock University Hospital, Basildon,UK
24/02/2010-30/9/2013 Consultant Physician, Acute Medicine, Diabetes & Endocrinology Southend University Hospital, Westcliff -on-sea, UK
29/8/2009-23/2/2010 Consultant Physician, Diabetes Endocrinology (Locum), Royal Blackburn Hospital, Blackburn
His research interests include: Diabetes New Therapies; Obesity Metabolic Surgery in Type 2 Diabetes; Medical Education, Simulation Training; Ambulatory Care in Acute Medicine; Portfolio and Commercial Research Trials
• British Endocrine Society, Clinical Cases Meeting, Manchester 2010, Pheochromocytoma, papillary carcinoma, hyperparathyroidism; MEN variant or a coincidence?
• International Diabetes Federation Conference, Cape Town, 2006, Symptomatic neuropathy seems irreversible despite early metabolic and glycaemic improvements – A case control study
• Wessex Endocrine Diabetes Association Meeting, Isle of Wight, 2007, When benign is not benign A dopamine secreting paraganglioneuroma
• Wessex Endocrine Diabetes Association Meeting, Salisbury, 2006, When malignant is not malignant – Bilateral testicular rest tumours in a case of congenital adrenal hyperplasia
COURSES & CONFERENCES
I have been attending local and national courses and conferences regularly. Included below is a representative selection.
• British Endocrine Society, Conference 2006,2007,2008,2009,2013,2014
• University College London and Harvard Business School Management Training Programme-Basildon Transformational Programme-2014
• Castle Simulation Course for Faculty Development Addenbrooks Simulation Centre, Cambridge 2013
• Educational Supervisors Course, London Deanery 2012,2013
• Clinical Supervisors Course Anglia Ruskin University, Chelmsford 2012
• European Association for Study of Diabetes Conference, Amsterdam, 2007, Berlin 2012
• Diabetes UK Annual Professional Conference 2006, 2008
• Insulin Pump Course, Bournemouth, 2006, 2008
• Second International Conference of Society of Acute Medicine, London, 2008
• King’s Fund Management Course,Oxford, 2008
• American Diabetes Association Conference, SanDiego,2005 & Washington, 2006
• Educational Supervisor Development Course, Wessex Deanery 2006
• International Diabetes Federation Conference, Cape Town, 2006
1. Kemp O, Lockwood A M, Lockwood G L, Simon G K, Kemp J. The impact of education on the knowledge and documentation of Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) driving restrictions by doctors. Acute Medicine. 2011; 10(1): 13-17.
2. Tapley P, Cranfield T, Simon G K. Cerebral nocardiosis in a case of Waldenstroms macroglobulinaemia. Acute Medicine. 2008; 7(3): 128-130.
3. Bhandari S, Walker M, Simon G K, Cranfield T. Cerebral nocardiosis in a patient with lymphaplasmacytic lymphoma treated with fludarabine. British Journal of Haematology. 2008; 143(4): 454.
4. Coppini DV, Jones C, Spruce M, Simon G K. Neuropathic symptoms in newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics persist at six months, despite early glycaemic improvements. Practical Diabetes International. 2007; 24(7): 334-335. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2141.2008.07304.x.