Francis V. James, MD
Department of Radiotherapy and Oncology
Regional Cancer Centre
Trivandrum, Kerala, India
• (1983) MBBS, University of Kerala, India
• (1989) MD, University of Kerala, India
• (June-December 1992) Fellowship of Leeds University, UK
• (1996-1997) Fellowship of Institute of Cancer Research, London and Honorary Senior Registrar in Uro-Oncology, Royal Marsden Hospital, London
• (February 2002-April 2003) Clinical Research Fellowship of Institute of Cancer Research in Uro-oncology, Royal Marsden Hospital, UK
• (Sept-Oct 2012) AROI Kirloskar Fellowship, Mount Vernon Hospital, Middlesex, UK
• (Since July 2004) Additional Professor of Radiotherapy and Oncology, Regional Cancer centre, Trivandrum
• (April 2003-June 2004) Associate Professor of Radiotherapy and Oncology, Regional Cancer Centre Trivandrum, India
• (February 2002-April 2003) Clinical Research Fellow, Institute of Cancer Research and Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, UK
• (March 1998-January 2002) Associate Professor of Radiotherapy & Oncology, Regional Cancer Centre, Trivandrum, India
• (March 1997-March 1998) Assistant Professor of Radiotherapy, Regional Cancer Centre, Trivandrum, India
• (March 1996-February 1997) Clinical Research Fellow, Institute of Cancer Research & Honorary Senior Registrar, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, UK
• (March 1995-February 1996) Assistant Professor of Radiotherapy, Regional Cancer Centre, Trivandrum, India
• (Dec 1992-March 1995) Lecturer in Radiotherapy ,Regional Cancer Centre, Trivandrum
• (June 1992-Dec 1992) Clinical Research Fellow, Cookridge Hospital, University of Leeds, UK
• (Aug. 1990-May 1992) Lecturer in Radiotherapy, Regional Cancer Centre, Trivandrum, India
• (Feb 1990-Aug 1990) Tutor in Radiotherapy, Medical College, Trichur, India
• (Dec 1988-Jan 1990) Tutor in Radiotherapy, Medical College, Trivandrum, India
• (June 1986-Apr 1989) Resident in Radiotherapy, Medical College, Trivandrum, India
• (Jan 1985-June 1986) Junior Medical Officer, Department of Medicine, Bishop Vayalil Medical Centre, Moolamattom, Kerala, India
His research interests include: Urological cancers and Gynecological cancers.
FELLOWSHIPS AND AWARDS
• (1976-1982) National Merit Scholarship of India
• (July 1992-Dec 1992) Visiting Research Fellow-University of Leeds, UK
• (March 1996-Feb1997) Clinical Research Fellow-Institute of Cancer Research and Honorary Senior Registrar, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton, Surrey, UK
• (Feb 2002-April 2003) Clinical Research Fellow-Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, UK
• (Sept-Oct 2012) AROI Kirloskar Fellowship , Mount Vernon Hospital, Middlesex, UK
• Member, Indian Medical Association
• Member, Association of Radiation Oncologists of India
• Member , European Society of Medical Oncology
• Member , American Society of Radiation Oncology
• Member, Indian Co-operative Oncology Network
• Member, Indian Oxford Cancer Research Network
• Member, International Society of Gynecological Oncology
• Member, ESTRO
• Member, ICRO
1. James FV, lijeesh AL, Koshy SM, Kumar A. Choriocarcinoma with brain involvement. J Cancer Res Ther. 2011; 7(3): 383-384. doi:10.4103/0973-1482.87025
2. James FV. PET scan for prostate cancer. Indian J Cancer. 2011; 48(3): 372.
3. James FV. Specialist training in oncology. J Cancer Res Ther. 2010; 6: 594.
4. James FV, Kumar A, Jayaprakash PG, Mathews A. Metachronous bilateral testicular germ cell tumours: Report of two cases. J Cancer Res Ther. 2009; 3(5): 206-207. doi:10.4103/0973-1482.57128
5. Venkitaraman R, Coffey J, Norman AR, et al. Pentoxifylline to treat radiation proctitis: a small and inconclusive randomised trial. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2008; 20(4): 288-292. doi:10.1016/j.clon.2008.01.012
6. Joseph T, Chacko P, Wesley R, Jayaprakash PG, James FV, Pillai MR. Germline genetic polymorphisms of CYP1A1, GSTM1 and GSTT1 genes in Indian cervical cancer: associations with tumor progression, age and human papillomavirus infection. Gynecol Oncol. 2006; 101(3): 411-417. doi:10.1016/j.ygyno.2005.10.033
7. Chitrathara K, Namratha D, Francis V, Gangadharan VP. Spontaneous rectovaginal fistula and repair using bulbocavernosus muscle flap. Tech Coloproctol. 2001; 5(1): 47-49.
8. Kusumakumary P, James FV. Permanent Disabilities in childhood survivors of LCH. Paed Heamatol Oncol. 2000; 17(5): 375-381. doi:10.1080/08880010050034300
9. Ajithkumar TV, Nileena N, Abraham EK, James FV, Nair MK. Bone marrow relapse in primary mucinous adenocarcinoma of skin. Am. J. Clin Oncol-CCT. 1999; 22(3): 303-304.
10. Geetha N, James FV, Ramachandran K, Ajithkumar TV, Nair MK. Ovarian carcinoma relapsing as CP Angle tumor. Australasian Radiology. 1999; 43(3): 388-390. doi:10.1046/j.1440-1673.1999.433676.x
11. KusumaKumary P, Priyakumari T, Chellam VG, James FV, Nair MK. Langerhans cell histiocytosis in children less than 2 years of age. Indian Pediatr. 1999; 36(1): 29-36.
12. Kusumakumary P, James FV, Chellam VG, Ratheesan K, Nair MK. Disseminated LCH in children-treatment outcome. Am. J. Clin Oncol-CCT. 1999; 22(2): 180-183.
13. Kusumakumary P, Mathews A, James FV, et al. Clear cell sarcoma of kidney-clinical features & outcome. Pead. Heamat. Oncol. 1999; 16(2): 169-174.
14. Ankathil R, Bhattathiri VN, James FV, Ratheesan K, et al. Mutagen sensitivity as a predisposing factor in familial oral cancer. International Journal of Cancer (Pred. Oncol.). 1996; 69: 265-267.
1. Nair MK, Bhattathiri VN, Ratheesan K, et al. Treatment results with mould therapy in epidermoid carcinoma of hard palate. Journal of Clinical Radiotherapy & Oncology. 1992; 7(1): 21-23.
2. Kusumakumary P, Kumar SR, James FV, Chellam VG, Nair MK, Warrier RP. Langerhans cell histiocytosis in children-patterns of disease and treatment results in Kerala. International Journal of Paediatric Hematology Oncology. 1996; 3(4): 297-303.
3. Kusumakumary P, Ajithkumar TV, James FV. Brain parenchymal involvement in neuroblastoma-a review. Ind. J. Med. Ped. Oncol. 1997; 18: 33-38.
4. James FV, Sivanandan CD. Advanced renal cancer- promising changes. JIPMER journal of Cancer. 2013; 2(1): 5-8.
5. Anjanappa M, Kainickal CT, James FV. Treatment of Stage I Seminoma. Cancer Stud Mol Med Open J. 2015; 2(2): 75-79. doi:10.17140/CSMMOJ-2-111
1. James FV. Urgent Issues for Research on Oral Cancer in India. In: Verma AK. Oral Oncology. 3rd ed. McMillan, India; 1994: 32-34.
2. Ratheesan K, Bhattathiri VN, Davis CA, James FV, Nair MK. Pattern of lymph node recurrence in epidermoid cancers of tongue after interstitial implant. In: Verma AK. Oral Oncology. 3rd ed. McMillian, India, 1994: 473-477.