Farouk M. F. El-Sabban, PhD
Nutrition and Physiology Consultant
Greater Richmond Area
Dr. El-Sabban is currently a Professor of Nutrition and Physiology at the College of Life Sciences (formerly known as the College for Women), Kuwait University, since September 2003. Dr. El-Sabban established the Department of Family Sciences (currently known as the Department of Food Science and Nutrition)-the only entity that grants the BSc Degree in Food Science and in Nutrition in Kuwait. Prior to joining Kuwait University, he held the position of Senior Staff Scientist at the American Heart Association, Dallas, Texas, USA. Dr. El-Sabban earned his BSc degree from the Faculty of Agriculture, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt, in 1963 and earned his MS and PhD degrees in nutritional sciences at the Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania, USA, in 1968 and 1970 respectively. His experience in academia is vast and spans over many countries: Egypt, Saudi Arabia, United States of America, United Arab Emirates, Malaysia and Kuwait. Dr. El-Sabban is a Scientist who published many scientific articles, presented papers in conferences and has extensive professional affiliations. He is a Seasoned Educator who also has a vast experience in academic administration.
His research interest includes: Nutritional sciences.
• Kuwait University Scientific Consultation Council (Kuwait)
• Kuwait University Association (Kuwait)
• Council on Stroke, American Heart Association (USA)
• Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism, AHA (USA)
• Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, American Heart Association (USA)
• Council on Cardiovascular Radiology, American Heart Association (USA)
• American Dietetic Association-affiliation with AHA (USA)
• American Associations of Clinical Nutrition-affiliation with AHA (USA)
• American Dietetic Association-affiliation with AHA (USA)
• Produce for Better Health Foundation-affiliation with AHA (USA)
• International Food Information Council-affiliation with AHA (USA)
• Stroke Belt Consortium-affiliation with AHA (USA)
• American Society for Nutritional Sciences (USA)
• American Physiological Society (USA)
• European Society for Microcirculation (Holland & United Kingdom)
• Microcirculatory Society (USA)
• International Society of Pathophysiology (Russia & Japan)
• Federation of Asian & Oceanic Physiological Society (FAOPS)
• International Society of Environmental Biotechnology (Canada)
• Malaysian Society of Pharmacology and Physiology (Malaysia)
• International Advisory Panel, Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal (WHO)
• Editorial Board, Journal of the University of Malaya Medical Centre (Malaysia)
• Kuwait University Faculty Association (Kuwait)
• Emirates Medical Association (UAE)
• Al Ain Diabetic Research Group (UAE)
• American Society of Animal Science (USA)
• National Geographic Society (USA)
• Gamma Sigma Delta Honorary Society (USA)
1. El-Sabban F. Incorporating e-mail in teaching activities of the nutrition program at College for Women, Kuwait University: Assessment of a five-year experience. British Journal of Education, Society and Behavioural Science. 2015; 5(1): 62-72. doi: 10.9734/BJESBS/2015/11887
2. El-Sabban F. Reflections on experience with using e-mail in teaching of nutrition and related courses. EC Nutrition Journal. 2015; 1(2): 49-51.
3. El-Sabban F. Food, nutrition and lifestyle in Gulf Cooperation Council countries. EC Nutrition Journal. 2014; 1(1): 3-4.
4. El-Sabban F. The antioxidant advantage of the Mediterranean diet in cardiovascular disease. Nutrition and Dietary Supplements. 2014; 6: 35-40. doi: 10.2147/NDS.S59848
5. El-Sabban F, Badr H. Assessment of nutrition knowledge and other aspects among first-year Kuwait University students. Ecology of Food and Nutrition Journal. 2011; 50(2): 181-195. doi: 10.1080/03670244.2011.552376
6. El-Sabban F. Facilitation of student self-learning -can it be implemented successfully in the Gulf Cooperation Council Countries? American University of Kuwait(AUK). 2010; 4: 22 -30.
7. El-Sabban F. Current stand on supplementation of antioxidant vitamins in cardiovascular disease. Saudi Medical Journal. 2009; 30: 969-970.
8. El-Sabban F. Garlic as an antithombotic and antiplatelet aggregation agent. Journal of Chinese Clinical Medicine. 2009; 4: 288-294.
9. El-Sabban F. Free radical injury for in vivo induction of platelet aggregation: A model in microcirculatory studies of the brain. Neurosciences. 2008; 13(4): 454-455.
10. El-Sabban F. Self-expression assignment(SEA) as a teaching approach to enhance interest of Kuwaiti women in biological sciences. Advances in Physiology Education. 2008; 32(2): 147-151. doi: 10.1152/advan.00045.2007
11. Badr HE, El-Sabban F. Body mass index and type 1 diabetes mellitus in United Arab Emirates university students: a pilot study. Emirates Medical Journal. 2008; 26(1): 31-33.
12. El-Sabban F, Abouazra H. Effect of garlic on atherosclerosis and its factors. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal. 2008; 14(1): 195-205.
13. Osman N, El-Sabban F, Al Khawli A, Mensah-Brown EPK. Effect of foodstuff contamination by aflatoxin on the one-humped camel(Camelus dromedarius) in Al Ain, United Arab Emirates. Australian Veterinary Journal. 2004; 82(12): 759-761. doi: 10.1111/j.1751-0813.2004.tb13242.x
14. El-Sabban F. Evaluation of classroom teaching by students and peers for many purposes in academia. Journal of the University of Malaya Medical Centre. 2001; 6(1): 24-29.
15. Fahim MA, El-Sabban F. Garlic prevents ultrastructural alterations caused by dehydration in mouse cerebral microvessels. The Anatomical Record. 2001; 263: 85-90. doi: 10.1002/ar.1080
16. El-Sabban F, Aziz Z, Murgan V. The in vitro brain slice technique as a tool for studying the central nervous system. Journal of the University of Malaya Medical Centre. 2000; 5(1): 17-23.
17. El-Sabban F, Reid KH, Edmonds HL, Jr. Comparative effect of flunarizine in two models of stroke. Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology. 2000; 27: 107-109. doi: 10.1046/j.1440-1681.2000.03203.x
18. Daud J, Azhary JMK, Buang M, Ibrahim MH, El-Sabban F. Teaching attitudes among teachers in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya. Journal of the University of Malaya Medical Centre. 1999; 4(1): 51-57.
19. Osman NA, El-Sabban F. Infant-feeding practices in Al-Ain, United Arab Emirates. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal. 1999; 5(1): 103-110.
20. El-Sabban F, Fahim MA. Treatments with lead expedite hyperthermia-induced thromboembolism in mouse pial microvessels. International Journal of Hyperthermia. 1998; 14: 319-329. doi: 10.3109/02656739809018236
21. El-Sabban F, Reid KH, Edmonds HL, Jr. Responses of rat hippocampal slices in a high-potassium medium following in vivo global ischemia. Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology. 1998; 25: 612-616. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1681.1998.tb02260.x
22. El-Sabban F, Reid KH, Zhang YP, Edmonds HL, Jr. Influence of flunarizine on photochemically-induced synaptic dysfunction in the in vitro rat hippocampal slice. Asia Pacific Journal of Pharmacology. 1998; 13: 1-7.
23. El-Sabban FM, Ali BH, Bashir AK, Tanira MOM. Effect of gentamicin on platelet antiaggregatory action of acetylsalicylic acid in mouse pial arterioles. Life Sciences. 1998; 62: 1361-1369. doi: 10.1016/S0024-3205(98)00070-8
24. Fahim MA, El-Sabban F, Davidson N. Muscle contractility decrement and correlated morphology during the pathogenesis of streptozotocin-diabetic mice. The Anatomical Record. 1998; 251: 240-244.
25. Fahim MA, El-Sabban F. Effect of acute lead treatment on the in vivo thrombosis in mouse cerebral microvessels under hydrated and dehydrated conditions. Emirates Medical Journal. 1997; 15: 138-143.
26. El-Sabban F, Radwan GMH. Influence of garlic compared to aspirin on induced photothrombosis in mouse pial microvessels, in vivo. Thrombosis Research. 1997; 88: 193-203. doi: 10.1016/S0049-3848(97)00230-2
27. Tanira MOM, Ali BA, Bashir AK, El-Sabban F, Al Homsi MF. Neuromuscular and microvascular changes associated with chronic administration of Teucrium stocksianum in mice. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 1997; 49: 301-304. doi: 10.1111/j.2042-7158.1997.tb06800.x
28. El-Sabban F, Reid KH, Edmonds HL, Jr. High-potassium epileptiform bursting in rat hippocampal slices. Journal of the University of Malaya Medical Centre. 1997; 2(2): 95-98.
29. El-Sabban F, Fahim MA, Radwan GMH, Zaghloul SS, Singh S. Garlic preserves patency and delays hyperthermia-induced thrombosis in pial microcirculation. International Journal of Hyperthermia. 1996; 12: 513-525.
30. Das M, El-Sabban F, Bener A. Student and faculty perceptions of the characteristics of an ideal teacher in a classroom setting. Medical Teacher. 1996; 18: 141-146. doi: 10.3109/01421599609034149
31. Al Dhaheri AH, El-Sabban F, Fahim MA. Lead alters structure and function of mouse flexor muscle. International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience. 1996; 14: 125-135. doi: 10.1016/0736-5748(95)00092-5
32. El-Sabban F. Bases of proper human nutrition. Al-Waha Medical Journal. 1995; 22-23.
33. El-Sabban F, Fahim MA, Al Homsi MF, Singh S. Dehydration and food deprivation exacerbate mouse cerebral responses to local hyperthermia. Journal of Thermal Biology. 1995; 20: 469-476. doi: 10.1016/0306-4565(95)00007-J
34. El-Sabban F, Fahim MA, Mustafa KY. Aspirin influences mouse pial microvascular responses to regional hyperthermia. Pathophysiology. 1995; 2: 217-222. doi: 10.1016/0928-4680(95)00043-5
35. El-Sabban F, Fahim MA. Local hyperthermia induces spontaneous thrombosis and arteriolar constriction in the pia mater of the mouse. International Journal of Biometeorology. 1995; 38: 92-97. doi: 10.1007/BF01270666
36. Al Dhaheri AH, El-Sabban F, Fahim MA. Chronic lead treatment accelerates photochemically-induced platelet aggregation in cerebral microvessels of mice, in vivo. Environmental Research. 1995; 69: 51-58.
37. Fahim MA, El-Sabban F. Hyperthermia induces ultrastructural changes in mouse pial microvessels. The Anatomical Record. 1995; 242: 77-82. doi: 10.1002/ar.1092420110
38. El-Sabban F. Beneficial effects of garlic on the heart and the vascular system. Al-Waha Medical Journal. 1995; 11.
39. El-Sabban F, Reid KH, Zhang YP, Edmonds HL, Jr. Stability of thrombosis induced by electrocoagulation of rat middle cerebral artery. Stroke. 1994; 25: 2241-2245.
40. El-Sabban F, Edmonds HL, Jr, Zhang PY, Shields CB. Effect of flunarizine on free radical- induced microcirculatory injury. Pathophysiology. 1994; 1: 53-58. doi: 10.1016/S0928-4680(05)80011-2
41. Tanira MOM, El-Sabban F, Fahim MA, Wasfi IA. Acetyl salicylic acid alleviates increased susceptibility to thrombosis in pial microcirculation of dehydrated mice. Journal of Veterinary Medical Sciences. 1994; 56: 245-248. doi: 10.1292/jvms.56.245
42. Alkarmi T, Dar FK, El-Sabban F, Alharbi S. Comparative analysis of motility and mobility between Trichinella spiralis and T. pseudospiralis larvae in vitro. Trichinellosis. 1994; 8: 125-129.
43. El-Sabban F. Protective actions of flunarizine against cerebro-vascular trauma. Egyptian Journal of Neurosurgery. 1993; 8(1): 29-41.
44. El-Sabban F. Ramadan: The month of fasting for Muslims of the world. FMHS Newsletter. 1993; 1(3): 3.
45. El-Sabban F, Edmonds HL, Zhang PY. Flunarizine protects blood flow against photochemical injury in cremaster venules of the rat. Emirates Armed Forces Medical Journal. 1992; 4(2): 26-34.
46. El-Sabban F, Zhang PY, Edmonds HL. Effect of flunarizine on photochemically-injured pial venules of the rat. Emirates Armed Forces Medical Journal. 1992; 4(1): 18-26.
47. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F, Nelson GH. One day of estradiol treatment enhances platelet aggregation at the site of microvascular injury without altering aggregation ex vivo. Life Sciences. 1988; 47: 123-128. doi: 10.1016/0024-3205(88)90675-3
48. El-Sabban F. Enhancement of the use of agricultural residues in animal production in Egypt. A report based on an assignment in Egypt through the United Nations Development Program(UNDP). 1987; 1-30.
49. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F, Nelson G, Allison TB. Effects on mice of testosterone and dihydrotosterone on platelet aggregation in injured arterioles and ex vivo. Thrombosis Research. 1987; 45: 719-728. doi: 10.1016/0049-3848(87)90082-X
50. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F, Hirsh PD. Angiotensin delays platelet aggregation after injury of cerebral arterioles. Stroke. 1986; 17: 1203-1205. doi: 10.1161/01.STR.17.6.1203
51. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F, Allen AD, Nelson GH, Bhatnagar AS, Choi S. Effects of estradiol on platelet aggregation in mouse mesenteric arterioles and ex vivo. Thrombosis Research. 1985; 39: 253-262. doi: 10.1161/01.STR.16.6.980
52. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F, Allen AD, Bhatnagar AS, Choi S. Effects of estradiol on platelet aggregation in cerebral microvessels of mice. Stroke. 1985; 16: 980-984. doi: 10.1161/01.STR.16.6.980
53. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Effect of OKY-1851, a thromboxane synthesis inhibitor, on the platelet aggregation and vasodilation induced by injury of mouse pial arterioles. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. 1983; 3: 122-126.
54. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Insulin delays platelet accumulation in injured cerebral micorvessels of diabetic and normal mice. Microvascular Research. 1983; 26: 254-257.
55. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Dimethyl sulfoxide(DMSO) and glycerol, hydroxyl radical scavengers, impair platelet aggregation within and eliminate the accompanying vasodilation of injured mouse pial arterioles. Stroke. 1982; 13: 35-39. doi: 10.1161/01.STR.13.1.35
56. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Influence of shear rate on platelet aggregation in cerebral microvessels. Microvascular Research. 1982; 23: 311-315. doi: 10.1016/S0026-2862(82)80003-4
57. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F, Loria RM. Platelet aggregation in the cerebral and mesenteric microcirculation of mice with genetically determined diabetes. Diabetes. 1981; 30: 89-92. doi: 10.2337/diabetes.30.2.89
58. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F, Loria RM. Proaggregatory effect of fasting on platelet aggregation in the microcirculation of mice with streptozotocin diabetes. Arteriosclerosis. 1981; 1: 127-133. doi: 10.1161/01.ATV.1.2.127
59. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F, Nelson G. 5-methoxy-2-methyl-3-indole acetic acid, a metabolite of alkali hydrolysis product of indomethacin, inhibits platelet aggregation, in vivo. Prostaglandins. 1981; 21: 667-673. doi: 10.1016/0090-6980(81)90015-0
60. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Measurement of red cell velocity with a two-slit technique and cross correlation: use of reflected light, and either regulated dc or unregulated ac power supplies. Microvascular Research. 1981; 22: 225-227. doi: 10.1016/0026-2862(81)90092-3
61. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F, Ellis EF. Aspirin and endomethacin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents alter the response to microvascular injury in brain and mesentery. Microvascular Research. 1980; 20: 374-378. doi: 10.1016/0026-2862(80)90066-7
62. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F, Ellis EF. Aspirin and indomethacin enhance platelet aggregation in mouse mesenteric arterioles. American Journal of Physiology. 1980; 39: H220-H226.
63. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Iproniazid inhibits platelet aggregation in mesenteric microvessels. Blood Vessels. 1980; 17: 324-326. doi: 10.1159/000158263
64. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Use of AHR-5850 and 6293 to distinguish the effect of anti-platelet aggregating drug properties from the effect of anti-inflammatory properties on an in vivo model of platelet aggregation. Microvascular Research. 1979; 17: 309-313. doi: 10.1016/S0026-2862(79)80006-0
65. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Topical prostacyclin(PGI2) inhibits platelet aggregation in pial venules of the mouse. Stroke. 1979; 10: 399-401. doi: 10.1161/01.STR.10.4.399
66. El-Sabban F, Kotb AR, El-Bassousy A. Digestibility and nitrogen utilization of rations containing urea-enriched rice hulls. Agricultural Research Reviews. 1979; 57(6): 37-43.
67. El-Sabban F. Feedlot performance and meat productivity of Jersey and cross-bred(Jersey x Baladi) cattle in Saudi Arabia. II- Slaughter and carcass characteristics and meat acceptability of bulls and steers. Agricultural Research Reviews. 1979; 57(6): 29-36.
68. El-Sabban F. Feedlot performance and meat productivity of Jersey and cross-bred(Jersey x Baladi) cattle in Saudi Arabia. I- Live weight gain and feed efficiency of bull, steer and heifer calves. Agricultural Research Reviews. 1979; 57(6): 21-28.
69. Bedeir LH, El-Sabban F, Abou-Salim IA, Omara S. Effect of castration at different ages on feedlot performance, slaughter and carcass characteristics of water buffalo male calves. II-Slaughter and carcass characteristics. Agricultural Research Reviews. 1979; 57(6): 9-20.
70. El-Sabban F, Bedeir LH, Abou-Salim IA, El-Kholy M. Effect of castration at different ages on feedlot performance, slaughter and carcass characteristics of water buffalo male calves. I-Feedlot performance. Agricultural Research Reviews. 1979; 57(6): 1-8.
71. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Effect of dipyridamole on platelet aggregation in cerebral microcirculation of the mouse. Thrombosis Research. 1978; 12: 181-185. doi: 10.1016/0049-3848(78)90097-X
72. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Platelet aggregation and vasoconstriction in undamaged microvessels on cerebral surface adjacent to brain traumatized by a penetrating needle. Microvascular Research. 1978; 15: 299-307. doi: 10.1016/0026-2862(78)90030-4
73. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Enhancement of platelet aggregation by tranylcypromine in mouse cerebral microvessels. Circulation Research. 1978; 43: 238-241. doi: 10.1161/01.RES.43.2.238
74. Bedeir LH, El-Sabban F, Dessouki MT, El-Dashlouty MS. Effect of castration on the physical and chemical properties of buffalo meat. I-Influence of age at castration on cold storage. Agricultural Research Reviews. 1978; 56(7): 57-63.
75. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Control of platelet aggregation in cerebral microvessles. Journal of Neurophathology and Experimental Neurology. 1978; 37(5): 682-691.
76. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Effects of combined parenchymal and vascular injury on platelet aggregation in pial arterioles of living mice: Evidence for release of aggregate-inhibiting materials. Stroke. 1977; 8: 691-693. doi: 10.1161/01.STR.8.6.691
77. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Platelet aggregation in the cerebral microcirculation. Effect of Aspirin and other agents. Circulation Research. 1977; 40: 320-328. doi: 10.1161/01.RES.40.3.320
78. Rosenblum WI, El-Sabban F. Effects of brain trauma on undamaged cerebral microvessels. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica. 1977; 56(Suppl. 64): 418-419.
79. El-Sabban F, Mahmoud AM, Saleh Yousef MS, El-Kholy M, Afifi YA. Effect of poultry litter as a source of nitrogen in rations on live weight gain and feed efficiency of Fresian bull calves. Agricultural Research Reviews. 1975; 53(7): 65-72.
80. El-Bassousy A, El-Sabban F, Makky AM, El-Danasoury MS, Ashry AM. Nutritive value of Russian Comfrey. Agricultural Research Reviews. 1975; 53(7): 59-64.
81. El-Bassousy A, El-Sabban F, Makky AM, El-Danasoury MS, Ashry AM. Productivity and composition of Russian comfrey as a fodder crop in Egypt. Agricultural Research Reviews. 1975; 53(7): 51-57.
82. El-Sabban F. Livestock resources in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The Agriculture Journal. 1975; 2: 32-38.
83. El-Sabban F. Use of poultry litter in animal nutrition – Introductory article. Agricultural Sciences. 1974; 10: 1-9.
84. El-Sabban F. Utilization of different roughages in finishing rations for ruminants. The Agriculture Journal. 1972; 4: 23-28.
85. Rothenbacker H, El-Sabban F, Long TA, Baumgardt BR. Prevention of stomach and liver pathology in feeder steers by sawdust roughage replacer. Veterinary Medicine, Small Animal Clinician. 1972; 67: 1127-1131.
86. El-Sabban FF, Rothenbacker H, Long TA, Baumgardt BR. Certain blood constituents and serum transaminases in Hereford steers fed high-energy rations. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 1971; 32: 1027-1032.
87. El-Sabban FF, Long TA, Baumgardt BR. Utilization of oak sawdust as a roughage substitute in beef cattle finishing rations. Journal of Animal Science. 1971; 32: 749-755.
88. El-Sabban FF, Bratzler JW, Long TA, Frear DEH, Gentry RF. Value of processed poultry waste as a feed for ruminants. Journal of Animal Science. 1970; 31: 107-111. doi: 10.2134/jas1970.311107x
89. Baumgardt BR, Long TA, Dinius DA, El-Sabban F, Peterson D, Rugh M. Feed ingredient of the future? A report on wood by-products in ruminant feeding. Feedlot. 1969; 11(4): 22-30.
90. El-Sabban F. Is garlic a wonder plant? Adv Food Technol Nutr Sci Open J. 2015; 1(3): e7-e8. 10.17140/AFTNSOJ-1-e002