Eric Chung, MBBS, FRACS
Department of Urology
Princess Alexandra Hospital
Ipswich Rd,Woolloongabba 4102
• MBBS (University of Melbourne) 2000
• FRACS (Urology) (Royal Australasian College of Surgeons) 2010
• (2001-2003) Residency- Tasmania, Australia
• (2004-2005) Surgical registrars- NSW, Australia
• (2006-2008) Urology registrars- NSW, Australia
• (2009) Fellowship Prosthetic and Reconstructive Urology- Princess Alexandra Hospital,Brisbane QLD Australia
• (2009) Urological trainee representative to Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Trainee Association (RACSTA)
• (2010) Fellowship Andrology- St Joseph Health Care, London ON Canada
• (2011-current) VMO Urologist- Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane
• (2011-2012) Senior lecturer for School of Medicine, University of Queensland
• (2011-current) VMO Urologist- Private hospitals in Brisbane areas Greenslopes Privat Hospital, The Wesley Hospital, St Andrews War Memorial Hospital, Sunnybank Private Hospital, Brisbane Private Hospital
• (2013-Curren) Associate Professor of Surgery, University of Queensland
His research interest includes: voiding dysfunction, Andrology, Prothesis Surgery
HONORS AND AWARDS
• Best Clinical Research Award @ Asia Pacific Society of Sexual Medicine (2011)
• Best Clinical Paper Award @ American Urological Association North-Eastern section meeting (2011)
• Keith Kirkland Prize for best clinical research @ Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand (2007)
• Karl Storz Travelling Award Fellowship Prize (2007)
• The Exhibition Prize for Functional Biochemistry (MBBS, University of Melbourne) (1996)
• Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
• Urological Society of Australia and New Zealand /Urological Surgeons of Australia and New Zealand (USANZ)
• Medical Board of Australia (APHRA)
• Sexual Medicine Society of North America (SMSNA)
• Asia Pacific Society of Sexual Medicine (APSSM)
• International Society of Sexual Medicine (ISSM)
• European Urological Association (EAU)
• American Urological Association (AUA)
• Fertility Society of Australia (FSA)
• Andrology Australia
• Continence Foundation Australia (CFA)
• Australasian Doctor Association (AADA)
1. Chung E. Stem-cell-based therapy in the field of urology: a review of stem cell basic science, clinical applications and future directions in the treatment of various sexual and urinary conditions. Expert Opin. Biol Ther. 2015.
2. Chung E, Smith P, Malone G, Cartmill R. Adjustable versus non-adjustable male sling for post-prostatectomy urinary incontinence: A prospective clinical trial comparing patient choice, clinical outcomes and satisfaction rate with a minimum follow up of 24 months. Neurourol Urodyn. 2015.doi: 10.1002/nau.22731
3. Chung E, Cartmill R. Evaluation of clinical efficacy, safety and patient satisfaction rate after low-intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy for the treatment of male erectile dysfunction: An Australian first open-label single arm prospective clinical trial. BJU Int. 2015; Suppl 5: 46-49.doi: 10.1111/bju.13035
4. Chung E, Yang S, White L, Wood S, Nicol D. Lessons learnt in the management of primary invasive penile cancer in an Australian tertiary referral centre: Clinical outcomes with a minimum 48 months follow-up study. Korean J Urol. 2015; 56(2): 25-30. doi: 10.4111/kju.2015.56.2.125
5. Chung E. Botulinum toxin in urology: a review of clinical potential in the treatment of urologic and sexual conditions. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2015; 15(1): 95-102. doi: 10.1517/14712598.2015.974543
6. Ranaweera M, Chung E. Bladder paraganglioma: A report of case series and critical review of current literature. World J Clin Cases. 2014; 2(10): 591-595. doi: 10.12998/wjcc.v2.i10.591
7. Kovac JR, DeYoung L, Lehmann KL, Chung E, Brock GB. The effects of combined free radical scavenger and sildenafil therapy on age-associated erectile dysfunction: An animal model. Urol Ann. 2014; 6(4): 314-320. doi: 10.4103/0974-7796.140993
8. Chung E, Gillman M. Prostate cancer survivorship: A review of current literature in erectile dysfunction and the concept of penile rehabilitation following prostate cancer therapy. Med J Aust. 2014; 200(10): 582-585. doi: 10.5694/mja13.11028
9. Chung. Underactive bladder and detrusor underactivity: A review of pathophysiology and management strategies for this poorly understood bladder syndrome. Curr Bladder Dysfunct. Rep. 2014; 9(3): 250-253. doi: 10.1007/s11884-014-0248-5
10. Chung E. A state of art review on the evolution of the urinary sphincter devices for the treatment of post-prostatectomy urinary incontinence: Past, present and future innovations. J Med Eng Technol. 2014; 38(6):328-332. doi: 10.3109/03091902.2014.899400
11. Chung E. Varicocele and male infertility: Evidence in the era of assisted reproductive technology. Reprod Syst Sex Disorder. 2014; 3: e114. doi: 10.4172/2161-038X.1000e114
12. Chung E, Solomon M, DeYoung L, Brock GB. Clinical outcomes and patient satisfaction rates among elderly male aged ≥ 75 years with inflatable penile prosthesis implant for medically refractory erectile dysfunction. World J Urol. 2014; 32(1):173-137. doi: 10.1007/s00345-013-1102-7
13. Chung E, Al-Bermani OS, Fowler RP, Gillman MP. Testosterone deficiency and erectile dysfunction: A practical approach to diagnosis and management. J Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2013; 1(2): 1012.
14. Chung E, Cartmill R. Diagnostic challenges in the evaluation of persistent or recurrent urinary incontinence after artificial urinary sphincter (AUS) implantation in patients after prostatectomy. BJU Int. 2013;112( Suppl 2): 32-35. doi: 10.1111/bju.12207
15. Zukiwskyj M, Daly P, Chung E. Penile cancer and phallus preservation strategies: a review of current literature. BJU Int. 2013; 112(Suppl 2): 21-26. doi: 10.1111/bju.12205
16. Chung E, De Young L, Solomon M, Brock GB. Peyronies disease and mechanotransduction: An in vitro analysis of the cellular changes to Peyronies disease in a cell-culture strain system. J Sex Med. 2013; 10(5): 1259-1267. doi: 10.1111/jsm.12082
17. Chung E, Brock G. Sexual rehabilitation and cancer survivorship: a state of art review of current literature and management strategies in male sexual dysfunction among prostate cancer survivors. J Sex Med. 2013;10(Suppl.1): 102-111. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2012.03005.x
18. Chung E, Solomon M, DeYoung L, Brock GB. Comparison between AMS 700 CX and Coloplast Titan penile prosthesis for Peyronie s disease treatment and remodelling: Clinical outcomes and patient satisfaction. J Sex Med. 2013; 10(5): 1259-1267doi: 10.1111/jsm.12009
19. Chung E and Brock GB. Penile traction therapy and Peyronie s disease: A state of art review of the current literature. Ther Adv Urol. 2013; 5(1): 59-65. doi: 10.1177/1756287212454932
20. Chung E, Van CT, Wilson I, Cartmill R. Penile prosthesis implantation for the treatment for male erectile dysfunction: clinical outcomes and lessons learnt after 955 procedures. World J Urol. 2013; 31(3): 591-595 doi: 10.1007/s00345-012-0859-4
21. Chung E. Andrology- Reproductive years and beyond. Australia Family Physician. 2012; 41(10): 758-761.
22. Chung E, Ranaweera M, Cartmill R. Newer and novel artificial urinary sphincters (AUS): The development of alternatives to the current AUS device. BJU Int. 2012; 110(suppl4): 5-11. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2012.11614.x
23. Chung E, Garcia F, Young LD, Solomon M, Brock GB. A comparative study of the efficacy of intralesional verapamil versus normal saline injection in a novel Peyronie disease animal model: Assessment of immunohistopathological changes and erectile function outcome. J Urol. 2013; 189(1): 380-384. < br> 24. Chung E, De Young, Brock GB. Penile traction and Peyronies disease: In-vitro analysis of the efficacy of traction on cellular changes in Peyronies plaque in a strain culture system. J Sex Med. 2012; 9(Suppl.2): 130.
25. Chung E, So K. ? Surg Innov. 2012; 19(2): 171-176. doi: 10.1177/1553350611399589
26. Chung E, Yan H, De Young L, Brock GB. Penile Doppler sonographic and clinical characteristics in Peyronie s disease and/or erectile dysfunction: An analysis of 1500 men with male sexual dysfunction. BJU Int. 2012; 110(8): 1201-1205.doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2011.10851.x
27. Chung E, Yan H, De Young L, Brock GB. Reply to Penile Doppler sonographic and clinical characteristics in Peyronie s disease and/or erectile dysfunction: An analysis of 1500 men with male sexual dysfunction. BJU Int. 2012; 110(3): E155-E156.
28. Chung E, Brock GB. Sexual dysfunction in 2011: Advances in epidemiology, pathophysiology and treatment. Nat Rev Urol. 2012; 9(2): 66-68.doi: 10.1038/nrurol.2011.223
29. Jannini EA, DeRogatis LR, Chung E, Brock GB. How to evaluate the efficacy of the phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors. J Sex Med. 2012; 9(1): 26-33doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2011.02611.x
30. Garcia F, De Young L, Chung E, Brock M, Brock GB. A novel rat model for Peyronies disease that demonstrates durability and functional detriments. CUA 2012; 6(3Suppl1): S51.
31. Garcia F, Chung E, De Young L, Wang P, Brock M, Brock GB. Efficacy and histologic changes of repeated saline or intralesional verapamil injections and traction therapy in an animal model of Peyronies disease. CUAJ. 2012; 6(3Suppl1): S51.
32. Chung E, Brock GB. Emerging and novel therapeutic approaches in the treatment of male erectile dysfunction. Curr Urol Rep. 2011; 12(6): 432-443. doi: 10.1007/s11934-011-0216-y
33. Domes T, Chung E, DeYoung L, MacLean NAB, Al-Shaiji T, Brock GB. Clinical outcomes of intracavernosal injection in post-prostatectomy patients: a single centre experience. Urology. 2012; 79(1): 150-155. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2011.09.009
34. Chung E, DeYoung, Brock GB. Rat as an animal model for Peyronie s disease research: A review of current methods and the peer-reviewed literature. Int J Impot Res. 2011; 23(6): 235-241. doi: 10.1038/ijir.2011.36
35. Chung E, DeYoung, Brock GB. Investigative models in erectile dysfunction: A state of art review of current animal models. J Sex Med. 2011; 8(12): 3291-3305doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2011.02505.x
36. Chung E, Brock GB. Duplex sonographic study of impotent men with Peyronie s disease: is veno-occlusion the cause? J Sex Med. 2011; 8(12): 3446-3451.
37. DeYoung L, Chung E, Kovac J, Romano W, Brock GB. Daily use of sildenafil improves endothelial functioning in type 2 diabetic men. J Androl. 2012; 33(2): 176-180.
38. Chung E, Tiu A. Urodynamics: State of art review of literature and current controversies. Annals of Urol. 2011; 1(1).
39. Chung E, Brock GB. A state of art review on vardenafil and erectile dysfunction. Expert Opin. Pharmother. 2011;12(10):1-8doi: 10.1517/14656566.2011.584064
40. Chung E, Lee BC, Tse V, DeLeon J, Chan L. Botulinum toxin in refractory non-neurogenic overactive bladder: A prospective review of an Australasian centre experience with quality of life outcome assessment. J Pelviperineology. 2011; 30(3): 81-83.
41. Chung E. Androgen deprivation therapy in men with prostate cancer: Rationale between clinician and patient. EJCMO. 2012; 4(2): 67-69. doi: 10.2147/PROM.S52788
42. Chung E, Brock GB. Cryptorchidism and its impact on male infertility: a state of art review of current literature. Can Urol Assoc J. 2011; 5(3): 210-214doi: 10.5489/cuaj.10106
43. Chung E, DeYoung, Brock GB. The role of PDE5 inhibitor in septal scar remodelling: assessment of the clinical and radiological outcomes. J Sex Med. 2011; 8(5): 1472-1477. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2011.02217.x
44. Chung E, Navaratnam A ,Cartmill RA. Can artificial urinary sphincter be an effective salvage option in women following failed anti-incontinence surgery?. Int UroGynae J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2011; 22(3): 363-366. doi: 10.1007/s00192-010-1268-0
45. Chung E, Cledinning E, Lessard L, Brock GB. Five Year Follow-Up of Peyronie s Graft Surgery: Outcomes and Patient Satisfaction. J Sex Med. 2011; 8(2): 594-600. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2010.02102.x
46. Chung E, Brock GB. Delayed penile rehabilitation post radical prostatectomy. J Sex Med. 2010;7(10):3233-6; quiz 3237-3238 doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2010.02022.x
47. Chung E. Failure of PDE5 inhibitor use: A case of non-responder? (CME) J Sex Med. 2010; 7(4 Pt 1): 1321-1323. doi: 10.1111/j.1743-6109.2010.01772.x
48. Chung E, Cartmill RA. Twenty five years experience in the outcome of artificial urinary sphincter in the treatment of female urinary incontinence. BJU Int. 2010; 106(11): 1664-1667. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.09419.x
49. Chung E, Tse V, Chan L. Four year quality of life outcome data on mid-urethral synthetic slings in the treatment of female stress incontinence. BJU Int. 2010; 105(4): 514-517. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2009.08837.x
50. Chung E, McPherson N, Grant A. Tensile strength of absorbable suture materials: In-vitro analysis of the effects of pH and bacteria. J Surg Educ. 2009; 66(4): 208-211. doi: 10.1016/j.jsurg.2009.06.007
51. Chung E, Watt H, Glasgow A ,Skyring T. Patients Rationale In Selecting Androgen Deprivation (PRISAD): Do we give patients what they want?. Med Oncol. 2009; 26(4): 420-423.
52. Chung E, Sprott P. Interns assessment and management of three common urological conditions: a survey of their knowledge and skills. Are they adequately prepared for clinical practice?. N Z Med J. 2008; 12(1273): 45-50.
53. Chung E. Vaginal evisceration: a late complication of multiple vaginal prolapse operations. Journal of Pelvic Medicine and Surgery. 2008; 14(1): 63-64. doi: 10.1097/SPV.0b013e318165dcdc
54. Chung E, Grant AB, Hibberd AD, Sprott P. Why potential live renal donors prefer laparoscopic nephrectomy: a survey of live donor attitudes. BJU Int. 2007; 100(6):1344-1346.
55. Chung E, McKnight J, Hosken B. Post traumatic prepubertal high-flow priapism: a rare occurrence. Pediatr Surg Int. 2008; 24(3):379-381.
56. Chung E. Hemorrhage post-chalazion operation- . Asian Journal of Ophthalmology. 2007; 9(6):272.