Dominique Durand, PhD
EL Lindseth Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Departments of Biomedical Engineering, Physiology, Biophysics and Neurosciences
Director, Neural Engineering Center
Editor in chief, Journal of Neural Engineering
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH, 44106, USA
Dr. Durand is the EL. Linsedth Professor of Biomedical Engineering Neurosciences, Physiology and Biophysics and Director of the Neural Engineering Center at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. He received an engineering degree from Ecole Nationale Superieure dElectronique, Hydrolique, Informatique et Automatique de Toulouse, France in 1973. In 1974, he received a M.S. degree in Biomedical Engineering from Case Reserve University in Cleveland OH., worked several years at the Addiction Research Foundation of Toronto, Canada and in 1982 received a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Toronto in the Institute of Biomedical Engineering. He received an NSF Young Investigator Presidential Award as well as the Diekhoff and Wittke awards for graduate and undergraduate teaching and the Mortar board top-prof awards at Case Western Reserve University. He is an IEEE Fellow and also Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biomedical Engineering and Fellow of the Institute of Physics. He serves on five editorial boards of peer-reviewed scientific journals and he is the editor-in-chief and founding editor of the Journal of Neural Engineering. His research interests are in neural engineering and include computational neuroscience, neurophysiology and control of epilepsy, non-linear dynamics of neural systems, neural prostheses and applied magnetic and electrical field interactions with neural tissue. He has obtained funding for his research from the National Science Foundation, the National Institutes of Health and private foundations. He has published over 100 articles and he has consulted for many biotechnology companies and foundations.
His research interests include: Neural Engineering is a new discipline at the interface between engineering and neuroscience. Neural Engineering research in his laboratory combines computational neuroscience, engineering and electrophysiology to solve problems in the central and peripheral nervous systems.
In the CNS, the mechanisms of synchronization of neuronal activity during epilepsy are investigated using in-vitro brain slice preparations, in-vivo multiple electrode recording, computer models and clinical trials. The interaction between applied currents and neuronal tissue are studied to determine the feasibility of controlling seizures in patients with epilepsy. In the peripheral nervous system, novel nerve electrodes are being developed capable of stimulating and recording neuronal activity selectively. This neural interfacing methodology is applied to the hypoglossal nerve to restore patency in the airways in patients with obstructive sleep apnea and to design neural prostheses for patients with spinal cord injury and stroke. Computer simulations of both neurons and volume conductors are used in conjunction with the experiments for the quantitative analysis of neural systems and to design new electrodes for interfacing with the nervous system.
• Young Investigator Award, Whitaker Foundation, (1983-1986)
• National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Award, Cleveland, (1985)
• Carl F. Wittke Award for Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching, CWRU, (1991)
• Visiting Professor for a Week, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, University of Toronto, (1993)
• John S. Diekhoff Award for Outstanding Graduate Teaching, CWRU, Cleveland, (1994)
• Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biomedical Engineering, (1998)
• Editor-in-chief and founder, Journal of Neural Engineering, (2003)
• Fellow of the Institute of Physics, (2004)
• IEEE, Senior Member, (2006)
• IEEE Fellow, (2010)
• Elected North American Representative to the IEEE-EMBS, (2010 )
• Eminent Scientist of the year, International Research Promotion Council, (2010)
• Graduate teaching award, School of Engineering, (2012)
• Innovation Research Award, School of Engineering, 2012)
• Top 25 STEM professor in OHIO, (2013)
• University Distinguished Research Award, CWRU, (2014)
1. Katona PG, Durand D, Stern K. Microprocessor-controlled memory for cardio-pulmonary monitoring of high risk infants. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1977; 24: 536-538.
2. Zilm D, Durand D, Kaplan H. A microprocessor-controlled clinical tremometer. Behavior Research Methods and Instrumentation. 1978; 10: 177-181.
3. Kaplan H, Durand D. A shared-memory approach to microprocessor program development. Behaviour Research Methods and Instrumentation. 1979; 11: 311-313.
4. Carlen PL, Durand D. Modeling the postsynaptic location and magnitude of tonic conductance changes resulting from neurotransmitters or drugs. Neuroscience. 1981; 6: 839-846.
5. Durand D, Corrigall W, Kujtan P, Carlen PL. Effect of low-dose ethanol on CA1 hippocampal neurons in-vitro. Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology. 1981; 59: 972-984.
6. Carlen PL, Gurevich N, Durand D. Low-dose ethanol augments calcium-mediated mechanisms measured intracellularly in hippocampal neurons. Science. 1982; 215: 306-309.
7. Durand D, Carlen PL, Gurevich N, Ho A, Kunov H. Measurement of the passive electrotonic parameters of granule cells in the rat hippocampus using HRP staining and short current pulses. Journal of Neurophysiology. 1983; 50: 1080-1096.
8. Durand D, Carlen PL. Decreased neuronal inhibition after long-term administration of ethanol in-vitro. Science. 1984; 224: 1349-1361.
9. Durand D, Carlen PL. Impairment of long-term potentiation in rat hippocampus following chronic ethanol treatment. Brain Research. 1984; 308: 325-332.
10. Durand D. The shunt cable model for nerve cells. Biophysical Journal. 1984; 46: 645-653.
11. Durand D, Carlen PL. Electrotonic parameters of neurons following chronic ethanol treatment. Journal of Neurophysiology. 1985; 54: 807-817.
12. Durand D. Electrical stimulation can inhibit synchronized neuronal activity. Brain Research. 1986; 382: 139-144.
13. DiMarco TF, Altose MD, Cropp A, Durand D. Activation of Respiration Intercostal Muscles by Electrical Stimulation. American Reviews of Respiration Disease. 1987; 136: 1385-1390. doi: 10.1164/ajrccm/136.6.1385
14. Durand D, Saint-Cyr JA, Gurevich N, Carlen PL. Ethanol-induced dendritic alterations in hippocampal granule cells. Brain Research. 1989; 477: 373-377.
15. Lefkowitz M, Durand D, Smith G, Silver G. The electrical properties of axons within the Probst neuromas of accallosal animals and callosi that have reformed upon glial-coated polymer implants. Experimental Neurology. 1991; 113: 306-314.
16. Ferguson AS, Durand D. Magnetic Fields of Current Monopoles in Special Volume Conductors. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics. 1991; 27: 758-767.
17. Yuen G, Durand D. Reconstruction of hippocampal granule cell electrophysiology by computer simulation. Neuroscience. 1991; 41: 411-424.
18. Kayyali H, Durand D. Effects of applied currents in epileptiform bursts in-vitro. Exp. Neurol. 1991; 113: 249-254.
19. Nakagawa M, Durand D. Suppression of Spontaneous Epileptiform Activity with Applied Currents. Brain Research. 1991; 567: 241-247.
20. Yuen G, Patil M, Durand D. Effects of Ethanol on the excitability of hippocampal granule cells. Brain Research. 1991; 563: 325-320.
21. Ferguson AS, Durand D. A theory of the magnetic field from current monopoles. J. of Applied Physics. 1992; 77: 3107-3113.
22. Durand D, Ferguson AS, Dalbasti T. Effect of Surface Boundary on Neuronal Magnetic Stimulation. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1992; 39: 58-64. doi: 10.1109/10.108128
23. Ali Hassan W, Saidel GM, Durand D. Estimation of Electrotonic Parameters of Neurons using an Inverse Fourier Transform Technique. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1992; 39: 493-501.
24. Warman E, Grill WM, Durand D. Modelling the effect of electric fields on nerve fibers: determination of excitation threshold. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1992; 39: 1244-1254.
25. Nagarajan S, Durand D. Effects of induced electric fields on finite neuronal structures: a simulation study. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1993; 40: 1175-1188. doi: 10.1109/10.245636
26. Tawfik B, Durand D. Non-Linear Parameter estimation by linear association: application to a 5-parameter passive neuron model. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1994; 41: 461-469. doi: 10.1109/10.293221
27. Warman EN, Durand DM, Yuen GLF. Reconstruction of Hippocampal CA1 pyramidal cell electrophysiology by computer simulation. J. of Neurophysiology. 1994; 71: 2033-2045.
28. Durand DM, Warman WN. Desynchronization of neuronal activity by extracellular current pulses in the hippocampus in-vitro. J. Physiology (London). 1994; 480(3): 527-537.
29. Nagarajan S, Durand DM, Roth BJ, Wijisesinghe RS. Magnetic stimulation of axons in a nerve bundle: effects of current redistribution in the bundle. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 1995; 23: 116-126. doi: 10.1007/BF02368319
30. Nagarajan S, Durand DM. Analysis of Magnetic stimulation of a concentric axon in a nerve bundle. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1995; 42: 926-933. doi: 10.1109/10.412659
31. Nagarajan S, Durand DM. A generalized cable equation for magnetic stimulation. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1996; 43: 304-312. doi: 10.1109/10.486288
32. Lin JC, Durand DM. Weighted linear associative memory approach to non-linear parameter estimation. Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications. 1996; 90: 139-159. doi: 10.1007/BF02192250
33. Nagarajan S, Durand DM, Hsuing-Hsu K. Mapping Location of excitation during magnetic stimulation: Effect of coil position. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 1997; 25: 112-125.
34. Durand DM, Lin JC. Theoretical Study of Magnetic Fields of Current monopoles in special volume conductors. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1997; 44: 177-187. doi: 10.1109/10.552247
35. Tyler D, Durand DM. Slowly penetrating interfascicular electrode for electrical stimulation of nerves. IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation. 1997; 5: 51-61.
36. Tawfik B, Durand DM. Parameter estimation by reduced order linear associative memory. (ROLAM). IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1997; 44: 297-305.
37. Sahin M, Haxhiu M, Durand DM. The spiral Nerve Cuff for recording respiratory output. J of Applied Physiology. 1997; 83: 317-322.
38. Lin JC, Durand DM. Non-linear parameter estimation by weighted linear associative memory with non-zero interception. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics. 1997; 27: 692-702. doi: 10.1109/3477.604114
39. Lyubkin M, Durand DM, Haxhiu MA. Short episodes of hypoxia inhibit the generation of LTP and disrupt pre-existing levels of synaptic potentiation. J. of Neurophysiology. 1997; 78: 2475-2482.
40. Carbunaru R, Durand DM. Axonal stimulation under MRI magnetic field z-gradients. Magnetic resonance in Medicine. 1997; 38: 750-758. doi: 10.1002/mrm.1910380511
41. Lin J, Durand DM. Magnetic Field of current monopoles in prolate and oblate spheroid volume conductors. IEEE Transactions in Magnetics. 1998; 34: 2177-2184.
42. Klemic KG, Durand DM, Jones SW. Activation kinetics of the delayed rectifier potassium current of bullfrog sympathetic neurons. J. Neurophys. 1998; 79: 2345-2357.
43. Sahin M, Durand DM. Improved nerve cuff electrode recordings with subthreshold anodic currents. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 1998; 45: 1044-1050. doi: 10.1109/10.704873
44. Maccabee PJ, Nagarajan SS, Amassian VE, et al. Influence of pulse sequency, polarity and amplitude in magnetic stimulation of human and porcine peruipheral nerve. J. of Physiology (London). 1998; 513(2): 571-585. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-7793.1998.571bb.x
45. Warren RJ, Durand DM. Effects of applied currents on spontaneous epileptiform activity induced by low-calcium in the rat hippocampus. Brain Research. 1998; 806: 186-195.
46. Bertrand CA, Durand DM, Saidel G, Laboisse C, Hopfer U. A system for dynamic measurement of membrane capacitance in epithelial monolayers. Biophysical Journal. 1999; 75: 2743-2756. doi: 10.1016/S0006-3495(98)77718-5
47. Qi H, Tyler DJ, Durand DM. Neurofuzzy adaptive controlling of selective stimulation for FES: a case study. IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering. 1999; 7: 183-192.
48. Patil MM, Durand DM, Lamana JC, Whittingham TS, Haxhiu MA. Effects of oxygen deprivation of parapyramidal neurons of the ventrolateral medulla. Respiration Physiology. 1999; 115: 11-22.
49. Bikson M, Baraban S, Durand DM. Modulation of burst activity, width, and amplitude in the zero-calcium model of epileptiform activity. Journal of Neurophysiology. 1999; 82: 2262-2270.
50. Sahin M, Durand DM, Haxhiu M. Chronic recordings of hypoglossal nerve activity in a dog model of upper airway obstruction. J. Appl. Physiol. 1999; 87(6): 2297-2206.
51. Shuai JW, Durand DM. Phase Synchronization of two coupled chaotic neurons. Physics Letters A. 1999; 264: 289-297.
52. Cuocco F, Durand DM. Measurement of external pressures generated by nerve cuff electrodes. IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering. 2000; 8: 35-41.
53. Hsu KH, Durand DM. Prediction of neural excitation during magnetic stimulation using passive cable models. IEEE transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2000; 47: 463-471. doi: 10.1109/10.828146
54. Shuai JW, Durand DM. Strange non-chaotic attractors in-low frequency quasi-periodically driven systems. International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos. 2000; 10: 2269-2276. doi: 10.1142/S0218127400001444
55. Stacey B, Durand DM. Stochastic resonance can enhance synaptic transmission. J. of Neurophysiology. 2000; 83: 1394-1402.
56. Sahin M, Durand DM, Haxhiu MA. Closed-loop stimulations of the hypoglossal nerve using its spontaneous activity as the feedback signal. IEEE Transactions in Rehabilitation Engineering. 2000; 47: 919-925.
57. Gha R, Bikson M, Durand DM. Effects of applied electric fields on low calcium epileptiform activity in the CA1 region rat hippocampal slices. J. of Neurophysiology. 2000; 84: 274-280.
58. Perez-Orive J, Durand DM. Modelling study of peripheral nerve recording selectivity. IEEE Transactions on Rehabilitation Engineering. 2000; 8: 320-329. doi: 10.1109/86.867874
59. Bikson M, Lian J, Hahn P, Stacy W, Sciortino C, Durand DM. Suppression of epileptiform activity with high frequency sinusoidal fields . J. Physiology, (London). 2001; 531: 181-191. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-7793.2001.0181j.x
60. Choi AQ, Cavanaugh J, Durand DM. Selectivity of multiple contact nerve electrode: a simulation analysis. IEEE transactions on BME. 2001; 48: 165-172.
61. Lian J, Shuai JW, Durand DM. Non-linear dynamic properties of low calcium induced epileptiform activity. Brain Research. 2001; 890: 246-254.
62. Carbunaru R, Durand DM. Toroidal coil for transcutaneous magnetic stimulation of nerves. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2001; 48: 434-442. doi: 10.1109/10.915709
63. Yobas L, Huff M, Lisy F, Durand DM. A novel bulk-micromachined electrostatic microvalve with a curved-compliant structure applicable for a pneumatic tactile display. J of Microelectromechanical systems. 2001; 10: 187-196.
64. Hahn PJ, Durand DM. Bistability in Neural Dynamics and the effects of increased extracellular potassium. J. Comput Neurosci. 2001; 11(1): 5-18.
65. Shuai JW, Lian J, Hahn PJ, Durand DM. Positive Lyapunov exponents calculated from time-series of strange nonchaotic attractors. Phys Rev E. 2001; 64: 026220. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.64.026220
66. Stacey WC, Durand DM. Synaptic noise improves the detection of sub-threshold signals in the hippocampus. J Neurophysiol. 2001; 86(3): 1104-1112.
67. Hsu KH, Durand DM. A 3D differential coil design for localized magnetic stimulation. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2001; 48: 1162-1168. doi: 10.1109/10.951519
68. Lian J, Bikson M, Shuai J, Durand DM. Propagation of non-synaptic epileptiform activity across a lesion in rat hippocampal slices. J Physiol. 2001; 537(1): 191-199. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-7793.2001.0191k.x
69. Bikson M, Baraban SC, Durand DM. Conditions sufficient for non-synaptic epileptogenesis in the CA1 region of hippocampal slices. J. Neurophysiology. 2002; 87: 62.
70. Tyler DJ, Durand DM. Functionally Selective Peripheral Nerve electrode: Stimulation with a flat interface nerve electrode. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation. 2002; 10(4): 294-303. doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2002.806840
71. Stacey W, Durand DM. Noise and coupling affect signal detection and bursting in a simulated physiological neural network. J. of Neurophysiology. 2002; 88(5): 2598-2611. doi: 10.1152/jn.00223.2002
72. Lian J, Bikson M, Sciortino C, Stacey WC, Durand DM. Local Suppression of epileptiform activity be electrical stimulation: an in-vitro study. Journal of Physiology (London). 2003; 1(547): 427-434. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2002.033209
73. Leventhal D, Durand DM. Sub fascicular stimulation selectivity with the flat nerve electrode. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2003; 6: 643-652. doi: 10.1114/1.1569266
74. Shuai J, Bikson M, Hahn P, Lian J, Durand DM. Ionic mechanisms underlying spontaneous CA1 neuronal firing in C2+-free solutions. Biophysical Journal. 2003; 84: 2099-2111. doi: 10.1016/S0006-3495(03)75017-6
75. Shuai JW, Durand DM. Strange non-chaotic attractors in neural networks, International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos. 2003; 13: 251-260.
76. Yobas L, Durand DM, Skebe GG, Lisy FJ, Huff MA. A Novel Integrable Microvalve for Refreshable Braille Display System. J of Microelectromechanical Systems. 2003; 12: 252-263. doi: 10.1109/JMEMS.2003.811754
77. Hsu KH, Nagarajan SS, Durand DM. Analysis of the efficiency of magnetic stimulation. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 2003; 50(11): 1276-1285. doi: 10.1109/TBME.2003.818473
78. Feng Z, Durand DM. Low calcium epileptiform activity in the hippocampus in-vivo. J. of Neurophysiology. 2003; 4: 2253-2260. doi: 10.1152/jn.00241.2003
79. Tyler DJ, Durand DM. Chronic response of the rat sciatic nerve to the flat interface nerve electrode. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2003; 31: 633-642.
80. Lertmanorat Z, Durand DM. A novel electrode array for diameter dependant control of axonal excitability. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2004; 51: 1242-1250. doi: 10.1109/TBME.2004.827347
81. Yoo P, Durand DM. Selective stimulation of the hypoglossal nerve using a multi-contact cuff electrode. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2004; 32: 511-519.
82. Lian J, Shuai JW, Durand DM. Control of Phase Synchronization of Neuronal Activity in the Rat Hippocampus. Journal of Neural Engineering. 1: 46-54. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/1/1/007
83. Leventhal D, Durand DM. Chronic Measurement of the Stimulation Selectivity of the Flat Interface Nerve Electrode. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2004; 51(9): 1649-1658. doi: 10.1109/TBME.2004.827535
84. Feng Z, Durand D. Suppression of Excitatory Synaptic Transmission Can Facilitate Low-Calcium Epileptiform Activity in the Hippocampus in-vivo. Brain Research. 2004; 24(1030(1)): 57-65.
85. Lertmanorat Z, Durand DM. Extracellular voltage profile for reversing the recruitment order of peripheral nerve stimulation: a simulation study. J. of Neural Engineering. 2004; 1: 202-211. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/1/4/003
86. Feng Z, Durand DM. Decrease in Synaptic Transmission Can Reverse the Propagation Direction of Epileptiform Activity in Hippocampus in vivo. J. Neurophysiology. 2005; 93: 1158-1164. doi: 10.1152/jn.00593.2004
87. Kumar A, Han Y, DellOsso LF, Durand DM, Leigh RJ. Directional asymmetry during combined saccade-vergence movements. J. Neurophysiology. 2005; 93: 2797-2808. doi: 10.1152/jn.00858.2004
88. Yoo PB, Durand DM. Selective recording of the canine hypoglossal nerve using a multi-contact flat interface nerve electrode. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2005; 52(8): 1461-1469. doi: 10.1109/TBME.2005.851482
89. Yoo PB, Durand DM. Effects of Selective Hypoglossal Nerve Stimulation on Canine Upper Airway Mechanics. Journal of Applied Physiology. 2005; 99(3): 937-943. doi: 10.1152/japplphysiol.00652.2004
90. Feng Z, Durand DM. Propagation of low-calcium non-synaptic induced epileptiform activity to the contralateral hippocampus in-vivo. Brain Research. 2005; 1055(1-2): 25-35.
91. Huang J, Sahin M, Durand DM. Dilation of the oropharynx via selective stimulation of the hypoglossal nerve. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2005; 2: 73-80. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/2/4/002
92. Lertmanorat Z, Durand DM. Electrode array for reversing the recruitment order of peripheral nerve stimulation: Experimental studies. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 2006; 34(1): 152-160. doi: 10.1007/s10439-005-9012-5
93. Park EH, Durand DM. Role of Potassium Lateral Diffusion in Non-synaptic Epilepsy: A Computational Study. Journal of Theoretical Biology. 2006; 238: 666-682.
94. Feng Z, Durand DM. Effects of Potassium Concentration on Firing Patterns of Low-Calcium Epileptiform Activity in Anesthetized Rat Hippocampus – Inducing Persistent Spike Activity. Epilepsia. 2006; 47(4): 727-736. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2006.00499.x
95. Leventhal DE, Durand DM. Chronic histological effects of the flat interface nerve electrode. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2006; 3: 102-113. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/3/2/004
96. Jensen A, Durand DM. Suppression of axonal conduction by sinusoidal stimulation in rat Hippocampus. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2007; 4: 1-16. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/4/2/001
97. Tesfayesus W, Durand DM. Blind Source Separation of Peripheral Nerve Recordings. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2007; 4(3): S157-S167. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/4/3/S03
98. Durand DM, Tian N, Kile K. Scn2a Sodium Channel Mutation Results in Hyperexcitability in the Hippocampus in vitro. Epilepsia. 2008; 49: 488-499. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2007.01413.x
99. Park EH, Durand DM. Diffusive coupling and network periodicity: a computational study. Biophysical Journal. 2008; 9: 1126-1137. doi: 10.1529/biophysj.108.129239
100. Park HJ, Durand DM. Motion Control of Musculoskeletal Systems with Redundancy, Biological Cybernetics. Biol Cybern. 2008; 6: 503-516. doi: 10.1007/s00422-008-0258-5
101. Caparso AV, Mansour JM, Durand DM. A nerve cuff electrode for controlled reshaping of nerve geometry. J. of Biomaterial Applications. J Biomater Appl. 2009; 24(3): 247-273. doi: 10.1177/0885328208097426.
102. Wang K, Liu CC, Durand DM. Characterization of Sputtered Iridium Oxide Electrodes on Liquid Crystal Polymer for Electrical Stimulation of Neural Tissue. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2009; 56(1): 6-14.
103. Lertmanorat Z, Montague FW, Durand DM. A Flat Interface Nerve Electrode With Integrated Multiplexer. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation. 2009; 17(2): 176-182. doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2008.2009307
104. Jensen A, Durand DM. High Frequency Stimulation can Stimulation Block Axonal Conduction. Experimental Neurology. 2009; 220: 57-70. doi: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2009.07.023
105. Wodlinger B, Durand DM. Localization and recovery of peripheral nerve sources with beamforming algorithms. IEEE Neural Systems and Rehabilitation. 2009; 5: 461-468. doi: 10.1109/TNSRE.2009.2034072
106. Kile KB, Tian N, Durand DM. Low frequency deep brain stimulation decreases seizure activity in a mutation model of epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2010; 51(9): 1745-1753. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2010.02679.x
107. Mino H, Durand DM. Enhancement of Information Transmission of Sub-threshold Signals Applied to Distal Positions of Dendritic Trees in Hippocampal CA1 Neuron Models with Stochastic Resonance. Biological Cybernetics. 2010; 103: 227-226. doi: 10.1007/s00422-010-0395-5
108. Jahangiri A, Durand DM. Phase Resetting Analysis of High Potassium Epileptiform Activity in CA3 Region of the Rat Hippocampus. International Journal of Neural Systems. 2011; 21: 127-138. doi: 10.1142/S0129065711002705
109. Kibler AB, Durand DM. Orthogonal Wave Propagation of Epileptiform Activity in the Planar Mouse Hippocampus in-vitro. Epilepsia. 2011; 29: 1590-1600. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2011.03125.x
110. Kawaguchi M, Mino H, Durand DM. Stochastic Resonance Can Enhance Information Transmission in Neural Networks. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 2011; 58: 1950-1958. doi: 10.1109/TBME.2011.2126571
111. Koubeissi MZ, Rashid S, Xu K, Syed TU, Luders H, Durand DM. Transection of CA3 Does Not Affect Memory Performance in Rats Corresponding. Epilepsy and Behavior. 2011; 21: 267-270. doi: 10.1016/j.yebeh.2011.04.006
112. Calvetti D, Wodlinger B, Durand DM, Somersalo E. Hierarchical beamformer and cross- talk reduction in electroneurography. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2011; 056002.
113. Wodlinger B, Durand DM. Selective Recovery of Fascicular Activity in Peripheral Nerves. Journal of Neural Engineering. 2011; 8: 056005. doi: 10.1088/1741-2560/8/5/056002
114. Rashid S, Pho G, Czigler M, Werz MA, Durand DM. Low Frequency Stimulation of Hippocampal Commissures Reduces Seizures in Chronic Rat Model of Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2011; 53(1): 147-156. doi: 10.1111/j.1528-1167.2011.03348.x
115. Kibler AB, Jamieson BG, Durand DM. High Aspect Ratio Microelectrode Array for Mapping Neural Activity in-vitro. Journal of Neuroscience Methods. 2011; 204(2): 296-305. doi: 10.1016/j.jneumeth.2011.11.027
116. Tang D, Durand DM. A tunable support vector machine assembly classifier for epileptic seizure detection. Expert Systems with Applications. 2012; 39(4): 3925-3938. doi: 10.1016/j.eswa.2011.08.088
117. Chiang CC, Lin CK, Ju MS, Durand DM. High-frequency stimulation can suppress globally seizures induced by 4-AP in the rat hippocampus: An acute in vivo study. Brain Stimulation. 2013; 6(2): 180-189.
118. Tang Y, Durand DM. A novel electrical stimulation paradigm for the suppression of epileptiform activity in an in-vivo model of mesial temporal lobe status epilepticus. International Journal of Neural Systems. 2012; 22(3): 1250006. doi: 10.1142/S0129065712500062
119. Lee S, Ryu K, Waldo A, Khrestian C, Durand DM, Sahadevan J. An Algorithm to Measure Beat-to-Beat Cycle Lengths for Assessment of Atrial Electrogram Rate and Regularity during Atrial Fibrillation. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology. 2013; 24(2): 199-206. doi: 10.1111/jce.12014
120. Lee S, Sahadevan J, Khrestian C, Durand D, Waldo A. High Density Mapping of Atrial Fibrillation During Vagal Nerve Stimulation in the Canine Heart – Restudying the Moe Hypothesis. Journal of Cardiovascular Electrophysiology. 2013; 24(3): 328-335. doi: 10.1111/jce.12032
121. Toprani S, Durand DM. Fiber Tract Stimulation Can Reduce Epileptiform Activity in an in-vitro Bilateral Hippocampal Slice Preparation. Experimental Neurology. 2013; 240: 28-43. doi: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2012.10.022
122. Wodlinger B, Rashid S, Durand DM. Block of Peripheral Pain Response by High Frequency Sinusoidal Stimulation. Neuromodulation: Technology at the Neural Interface. 2013; 16(4): 312-317. doi: 10.1111/ner.12011
123. Feng Z, Zheng X, Yu Y, Durand DM. Functional Disconnection of Axonal Fibers Generated by High Frequency Stimulation in the Hippocampal CA1 Region in-vivo. Brain Research. 2013; 1509: 32-42. doi: 10.1016/j.brainres.2013.02.048.
124. Koubeissi MZ, Kahriman E, Syed TU, Miller J, Durand DM. Low Frequency electrical stimulation of a fiber tract in temporal lobe epilepsy. Ann Neurol. 2013; 23915.
125. Toprani S, Durand DM. Long-lasting hyperpolarization underlies seizure reduction by low frequency deep brain electrical stimulation. J. Physiology (London). 2013; 591(22): 5765-5790. doi: 10.1113/jphysiol.2013.253757
126. Gonzalez-Reyes L, Ladas TP, Chiang CC, Durand DM. TRPV1 antagonist capsazepine suppresses 4-AP-induced epileptiform activity in vitro and electrographic seizures in vivo. Experimental Neurology. 2013; 250: 321-332. doi: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2013.10.010.
127. Wang Y, Toprani S, Tang Y, Vrabec T. Mechanism of Highly Synchronized Bilateral Hippocampal Activity. Experimental Neurology. 2014; 251: 101-111. doi: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2013.11.014
128. Zhang M, Ladas TP, Qiu C, et al. Durand Propagation of epileptiform activity can be independent of synaptic transmission, gap junctions or diffusion and is consistent with electrical field transmission. J Neuroscience. 2014; 34(4): 1409-1419.
REVIEWS, BOOK CHAPTERS AND EDITORIALS
1. Carlen PL, MacCrea DA, Durand D. Dendrites and motoneuronal integration. Handbook of the Spinal Cord. In: Daviddoff RA, ed. 1984; 243-267.
2. Carlen PL, Blaxter TJ, Freedman EB, Durand D. Putative Capacitance Increase in Hippocampal CA1 Cells Following Ethanol Application. Molecular Mechanisms of Anesthetics 3. In: SH Roth, Miller KW, eds. Plenum. 1985; 57-64.
3. Carlen PL, Gurevich N, Durand D, Daires MF, Blaxter TJ, Wu P. Research advances and new psychopharmacological treatments for alcoholism. In: Naranjo CA, Sellers EM, eds. Elsevier Science Publisher. 1985; 11-20.
4. Ferguson AS, Durand D. Magnetic Fields of Current Monopoles. Advances in Biomagnetism. In: Williamson SJ, ed. Plenum Press, New York, 1989; 583-586.
5. Durand DM. Ictal patterns in experimental models of epilepsy. J. of Clinical Neurophysiology. 1993; 10: 281-297.
6. Durand DM. Book Review: Electrical Properties of Mammalian Tissue: An Introduction. Northover, Chapman & Hall, 1992. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 1993; 21: 1.
7. Tyler DJ, Durand DM. Interfascicular stimulation for selective activation of surface and deep axon populations. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine. 1994; 13: 575-583.
8. Durand DM. Electrical stimulation of excitable tissue. Handbook of Biomedical Engineering. CRC Press. 1995; 229-251.
9. Durand DM, Tawfik B. Parameter estimation in the presence of biological and external interference. Concepts and techniques in Biological Measurements: Is the medium carrying the message? Polytechnic School of the Editions de Montreal.1997; 55-66.
10. Durand DM. Microelectrodes, Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. In: JG Webster, ed. John Wiley & Sons Inc. 1998.
11. Durand DM, Bikson M. Suppression and Control of Epileptiform Activity by Electrical Simulation: a Review. Proceedings of the IEEE, Special issue on Neural Engineering; merging engineering and neuroscience. 2001; 1065-1082.
12. Durand DM, Bikson M. Suppression and Control of Epileptiform Activity by Electrical Stimulation: a Review. Brain Stimulation and Epilepsy. In: Luders H, ed. 2002.
13. Durand DM. Electric field effects in hyperexcitable neural tissue: a review. Radiation Protection Dosimetry. 2003; 106(4): 325-331.
14. Durand DM Editorial: Why we need a new journal in neural engineering. J. Neural Eng. 2004; 1(1).
15. Durand DM, Grill WM, Kirsch R. Electrical Stimulation of the Neuromuscular System. Neural Engineering. In: He B, ed. Kluwer/Plenum Publishers. 2005.
16. Durand DM. The present and future. J. Neural Eng. 2006; 3.
17. Durand DM. Neural Engineering: a new discipline for analyzing and interacting with the nervous system. Methods of Information in Medicine. 2007; 46: 142-147.
18. Durand DM. What is Neural Engineering ? Journal of Neural Engineering. 2007; 4.
19. Durand DM. Focusing at the interface. Journal of Neural Engineering. J Neural Eng. 2009; 6(5): 50202.
20. Micera S, Durand DM, Vrs J. Increasing basic understanding of the nervous system to develop more effective neuroengineering applications EEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2009; 2689-2691.
21. Durand DM, Jahangiri A. Singular Parameter Prediction Algorithm for Bistable Systems. Recent Advances and Research Updates. 2010; 11: 163-179.
22. Durand, DM, Wodlinger B, Park HJ. Interfacing with the peripheral nervous system, a FINE approach. In Neural Engineering part 2. In: He B,ed. Kluwer/Plenum Publishers. 2013.
23. Durand DM, Ghovanloo M, Krames E. Time to address the problems at the neural interface. J Neural Eng. 2014; 11(2): 020201.