Dimitrios Daoussis, PhD
Department of Internal Medicine/Rheumatology
University of Patras Medical School
Panepistimioupoli Patron 265 04, Greece
Dr. Daoussis was born in Canada in 1972. He graduated from University of Patras Medical School in 1996. He received my training in Internal Medicine in Athens Sismanoglio Hospital and then training in Rheumatology in Patras University Hospital. After completing his training in Rheumatology he worked as a Consultant in Rheumatology in UK (Department of Rheumatology, Dudley Group of Hospitals NHS Trust, Russells Hall Hospital, Birmingham, UK). He was awarded his PhD from University of Patras Medical School in 2006 he had an academic post in University of Patras Medical School since 2010 (Lecturer from 2010-2013 and Asst Prof from 2013 and onwards)
His research interest Includes: Systemic Sclerosis and especially the molecular mechanisms involved in the fibrotic process. In particular his interest in the effect of B cell depletion on fibrosis on both clinical and histological grounds in patients with SSc.
HONORS AND AWARDS
• State Scholarship for my academic achievements as a second and third year Medical Student (second among my classmates)
• Kepetzi award for best review articleTargeting CD40L: a promising therapeutic approach
• Daoussis D, Andonopoulos AP, Liossis SN. 18th Panhellenic Congress of Rheumatology 2004
• Papapavlou scholarship from the Hellenic Society for Rheumatology for the research project: Study of mechanisms of anti-TNF treatment-induced autoimmunity
• Kepetzi award for best review article Novel regulators of joint remodelling in rheumatic diseases: Looking beyond the RANK-RANKL-OPG axis Daoussis D, Liossis SN, Andonopoulos AP. 20th Panhellenic Congress of Rheumatology 2008
• Papapavlou scholarship from the Hellenic Society for Rheumatology for the research project: Mechanisms of osteoblastogenesis regulation in ankylosing spondylitis (2009)
• 1st Prize for Clinical research for the study «Ιmprovement of lung function and skin thickening following long term rituximab treatment in patients with scleroderma. D. Daoussis, SΝ. Liossis, G. Yiannopoulos and AP. Andonopoulos. 21th Panhellenic Congress of Rheumatology 2009
• 1st Prize for the study «The PDGF receptor is highly phosphorylated (activated) in scleroderma skin. Rituximab induced improvement of skin fibrosis in patients with scleroderma associates with a significant decrease in PDGF receptor phosphorylation». Dimitrios Daoussis, Stamatis-Nick C. Liossis, Christina Kalogeropoulou, Athanassios Tsamandas, Georgios Yiannopoulos and Andrew P. Andonopoulos.22th Panhellenic Congress of Rheumatology 2010
• Medical registration number in Greece: 4984/6-6-1996
• Member of Patras Medical Association (no 2810)
• Member of the Hellenic Society of Rheumatology
1. Andonopoulos AP, Meimaris N, Daoussis D, Bounas A, Yiannopoulos G. Intraarticular anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha in recalcitrant arthritis of Behcet disease. Clinical and experimental Rheumatology. 2003; 21: S57-58
2. Andonopoulos AP, Meimaris N, Daoussis D, Bounas A, Giannopoulos G. Experience with infliximab (anti-TNF alpha monoclonal antibody) as monotherapy for giant cell arteritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases. 2003; 62(11): 1116
3. Daoussis D, Andonopoulos AP, Liossis SN. Targeting CD40L: a promising therapeutic approach. Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology. 2004; 11(4): 635-641. doi: 10.1128/CDLI.11.4.635-641.2004
4. Papapetropoulos S, Argyriou AA, Liossis S, et al. A case of L-dopa-responsive parkinsonian syndrome after low-dose oral methotrexate intake. Clinical Neuropharmacology. 2004 ; 27(2): 95-8
5. Leonardou A, Giali S, Daoussis D, Siambi V, Gogos H, Liossis SN. Moraxella catarrhalis-induced septic arthritis of a prosthetic knee joint in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis treated with anakinra. Arthritis and Rheumatism 2005; 52(4): 1337
6. Yiannopoulos G, Daoussis D, Andonopoulos AP. Arthritis accompanying ileal pouchitis or undifferentiated HLA B27-related spondyloarthropathy? Rheumatology International. 2006; 26(6): 565-6
7. Daoussis D, Antonopoulos I, Andonopoulos AP, Liossis SN. Increased expression of CD154 (CD40L) on stimulated T-cells from patients with psoriatic arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2007; 46(2): 227-231.
8. Euthymiopoulou K, Aletras AJ, Ravazoula P, et al. Antiovarian antibodies in primary Sjogrens syndrome. Rheumatology International. 2007; 27(12): 1149-1155.
9. Daoussis D, Siambi V, Liossis SN, Yiannopoulos G, Andonopoulos AP. Bony ears. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 2008; 58(2): 611.
10. Daoussis D, Andonopoulos AP, Liossis SN. Wnt pathway and IL-17: novel regulators of joint remodeling in rheumatic diseases. Looking beyond the RANK-RANKL-OPG axis. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism 2010; 39: 369-383. doi: 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2008.10.008
11. Daoussis D, Panoulas VF, Antonopoulos I, et al. Cardiovascular risk factors and not disease activity, severity or therapy associate with renal dysfunction in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2010; 69(3): 517-521. doi: 10.1136/ard.2008.105049
12. Daoussis D, Liossis SN, Tsamandas AC, et al. Experience with rituximab in scleroderma: results from a 1-year, proof-of-principle study. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2010; 49: 271-280. doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/kep093
13. Daoussis D, Panoulas V, Toms T, et al. Uric acid is a strong independent predictor of renal dysfunction in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Research & Therary. 2009; 11(4): R116.
14. Daoussis D, Liossis SN, Tsamandas AC, et al. Is there a role for B cell depletion as therapy for scleroderma? A case report and review of the literature. Seminars in Arthritis & Rheumatism. 2010; 40(2): 127-136. doi: 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2009.09.003
15. Daoussis D, Liossis SN, Solomou EE, et al. Evidence that Dkk-1 is dysfunctional in ankylosing spondylitis. Arthritis & Rheumatism. 2010; 62(1): 150-158. doi: 10.1002/art.27231.
16. Daoussis D, Andonopoulos AP. Rituximab in the treatment of systemic sclerosis- associated interstitial lung disease. Comment on the article by Yoo. Rheumatology International. 2011; 31(6): 841-842 doi: 10.1007/s00296-010-1485-3
17. Daoussis D, Panoulas VF, John H, et al. Microalbuminuria in rheumatoid arthritis in the post penicillamine/gold era: association with hypertension, but not therapy or inflammation. Clinical Rheumatology. 2011; 30(4): 477-484. doi: 10.1007/s10067-010-1446-y.
18. Daoussis D, Kitas GD. Uric acid and cardiovascular risk in rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology. 2011; 50(8): 1354-1355 doi: 10.1093/rheumatology/keq388
19. Daoussis D, Andonopoulos AP. The emerging role of Dickkopf-1 in bone biology: is it the main switch controlling bone and joint remodeling? . Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2011; 41(2): 170-177 doi: 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2011.01.006
20. Daoussis D, Liossis SN, Yiannopoulos G, Andonopoulos AP. B cell depletion therapy in systemic sclerosis: experimental rationale and update on clinical evidence. Int J Rheumatol. 2011 doi: 10.1155/2011/214013
21. Daoussis D, Antonopoulos I, Liossis SN, Yiannopoulos G, Andonopoulos AP. Treatment of systemic sclerosis-associated calcinosis: A case report of Rituximab-induced regression of CREST-related calcinosis and review of the literature. Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2012; 41: 822-829. doi: 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2011.11.007
22. Daoussis D, Liossis SN, Tsamandas AC, et al. Effect of long-term treatment with Rituximab on pulmonary function and skin fibrosis in patients with diffuse systemic sclerosis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2012; 30(2 Suppl 71): S17-S22
23. Daoussis D, Tsamandas AC, Liossis SN, et al. B-cell depletion therapy in patients with diffuse systemic sclerosis associates with a significant decrease in PDGFR expression and activation in spindle-like cells in the skin. Arthritis Res Ther. 2012; 14: R145. doi: 10.1186/ar3879
24. Daoussis D, Antonopoulos I, Yiannopoulos G, Andonopoulos AP. ACTH as first line treatment for acute gout in 181 hospitalized patients. Joint Bone Spine. 2012; 80: 291-294. doi: 10.1016/j.jbspin.2012.09.009.
25. Daoussis D, Antonopoulos I, Yiannopoulos G, Andonopoulos AP. ACTH as first line treatment for acute calcium pyrophosphate crystal arthritis in 14 hospitalized patients. Joint Bone Spine 2013 doi: 10.1016/j.jbspin.2013.05.006
26. Daoussis D, Antonopoulos I, Andonopoulos AP. ACTH as treatment for acute crystal induced arthritis: Update on clinical evidence and mechanisms of action. Seminars in Arthritis & Rheumatism. 2013 doi: 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2013.09.006
27. Daoussis D, Liossis SNC. B cells tell scleroderma fibroblasts to produce collagen. Arthritis Research & Therapy 2013 doi: 10.1186/ar4392
28. Kazantzi A, Costaridou L, Skiadopoulos S, et al. Automated 3D ιnterstitial lung disease εxtent quantification: performance evaluation and correlation to PFTs. J Digit Imaging 2014; 27(3): 380-391. doi: 10.1007/s10278-013-9670-z
29. Daoussis D, Chroni E, Tsamandas AC, Andonopoulos AP. Facial nerve palsy, headache, peripheral neuropathy and Kaposis sarcoma in an elderly man. World J Clin Cases 2014; 2(6): 235-239. doi: 10.12998/wjcc.v2.i6.235.
30. Daoussis D, Filippopoulou A, Liossis SN, et al. Anti-TNFα treatment decreases the previously increased serum Indian Hedgehog levels in patients with ankylosing spondylitis and affects the expression of functional Hedgehog pathway target genes. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2015 doi: 10.1016/j.semarthrit.2015.01.004
31. Dimitroulas T, Daoussis D, Garyfallos A, Sfikakis PP, Kitas GD. Molecular and cellular pathways as treatment targets for biologic therapies in systemic sclerosis. Curr Med Chem. 2015. 32. Yiannopoulos G, Daoussis D, Melissaropoulos K, Tsouni C, Andonopoulos AP. Evolution of undifferentiated arthritis: a ten-year experience from the early arthritis clinic of a tertiary care hospital. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2015