Chien-Wei Hsu, MD
Division of Critical Care
Department of Internal Medicine
Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital
386, Ta-Chung First Road, Kaohsiung
Taiwan 813, Republic of China
Dr. Chien-Wei Hsu is a Assistant Professor at the Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Republic of China since 1999.
His research interests include: ICU sedation, Mechanical ventilation, Pneumothorax, Nutritional therapy, Glycemic control
• The Society of Internal Medicine, ROC
• The Society of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, ROC
• The Society of Emergency and Critical Care, ROC
1. Hsu CW, Wang HC , Lu JY. Small cell lung carcinoma associated with para-neoplastic limbic encephalitis. J Formos Med Assoc. 1999; 98: 368-371.
2. Hsu CW, Chu KA, Ti Lu, Lai RS, Lu JY. Ethambutol induced psychosis : a case report. Chinese Medical Journal. 1999; 62: 724-727.
3. Hsu CW, Chu KA, Lu JY, Chang HC, Lin CH. Primary pleural low-grade lymphoma – a case report. Thorac Med. 1999; 14: 121-126. doi: doi: 10.1136/thorax.58.10.908
4. Sun SH, Mei SC, Hsu CW, Hung KH, Lai PH. Cerebral infarction due to traumatic internal carotid artery dissection: a case report and review of the literature. J Rehab Med Assoc ROC. 1999; 27: 241-248.
5. Hsu CW, Wann SR, Chiang HT, Lin CH, Kung MH, Lin SL. Comparison of the APACHE II and APACHE III scoring system in patients with respiratory failure in a medical intensive care unit. J Formos Med Assoc. 2001; 100: 437-442.
6. Leu YJ, Lin CH, Hsu CW, Chen CJ, Lai PH, Lu JY. Adenocarcinoma of the lung complicated with leptomeningeal carcinomatosis- report of two cases. Thoracic Medicine. 2003; 18: 246-520.
7. Lin SL, Huang WC, Wann SR, et al. Impact of quality improvement program in reducing the catheter-associated urinary tract infection in intensive care units. Crit Care and Shock . 2004; (suppl 1)7(2): 182.
8. Huang WC, Wann SR, Lin SL, et al. Catheter-associated urinary tract infections in intensive care units can be reduced by prompting physicians to remove unnecessary catheters. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 2004; 25: 974-978. doi: 10.1086/502329
9. Lee DL, Hsu CW, Lee H, et al. Beneficial effects of albuterol therapy driven by heliox by oxygen in severe asthma exacerbation. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2005; 12(9): 820-827. doi: 10.1197/j.aem.2005.04.020
10. Lin YP, Hsu CW, et al. The role of fentanyl injection in intensive care unit. Journal of Internal Medicine of Taiwan. 2005; 16: 211-215.
11. Sun SH, Hwang CW, Hsu CW, et al. Intraarticular injection of sodium hyaluronate in adhesive capsulitis of the shoulder. Journal of Rehabilitation medical Association. 2005; 33(4): 221-227.
12. Huang NC, Hung YM, Lin SL, et al. Further evidence of the usefulness of acute physiology and chronic health evaluation II scoring system in acute paraquat poisoning. Clinical Toxicology. 2006; 44: 99-102. doi: 10.1080/15563650500514251
13. Chang R, Hsu CW, Lin CH, et al. Massive hemoptysis due to an anomalous origin of the right pulmonary artery from the acending aorta- a case report. Thoracic Medicine. 2006; 21: 168-174.
14. Chang R, Lai RS,Hsu CW, Kang PL. Scimitar syndrome variant causing massive hematemesis- a case report. Thoracic Medicine. 2006; 21: 190-195.
15. Sun SH, Hsu CW, Hwang CW, et al. Hyaluronate improves pain, physical function and balance in the geriatric osteoarthritis knee: a 6-month follow-up study using clinical tests. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2006; 14(7): 696-701. doi: 10.1016/j.joca.2006.01.010
16. Hsu CW, Lin SL, Sun SH, et al. Comparison of the diuretic effect of furosemide mixed with human albumin or fresh frozen plasma for patients with hypoalbuminemia in the intensive care unit. Journal of Nephrology. 2006; 19(5): 621-627.
17. Sun SH, Hsu CW, Hwang CW, et al. Efficacy of intra-articular hyaluronic acid in patients with osteoarthritis of the ankle: a prospective study. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2006; 14(9): 867-874. doi: 10.1016/j.joca.2006.03.003
18. Sun SH, Hsu CW, Hwang CW, et al. Application of combined botulinum toxin A and modified contraint-induced movement therapy for an individual with chronic upper extremity spasticity after stroke. Physical Therapy. 2006; 86(10): 1387-1397. doi: 10.2522/ptj.20050262
19. Chu KA, Wu YC, Lin MH, Hsu CW. Electroacupuncture results in bronchodilating response in asthma patients- Three cases report. Thoracic Medicine. 2007; 22: 47-52.
20. Hsu CW, Lee DL, Lin SL, Sun SH, Chang HW. The initial response to inhaled nitric oxide treatment for the ICU patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome. Respiration. 2008; 75: 288-296. doi: 10.1159/000101478
21. Huang CM, Hsu CW, Hwang CW, et al. Therapists opinions of constraint-induced movement therapy: result of a survey in Taiwan. Journal of Taiwan Occupational Therapy Research and Practice. 2008; 4: 34-44.
22. Hsu CW, Lin SL, Sun SH. Glucose control, renal replacement therapy and blood product administration in severe sepsis patients. Taiwan Critical Care Medicine. 2009; 10: 57-65.
23. Hsu CW, Sun SH, Lin SL,et al. Duodenal versus gastric feeding in medical intensive care unit patients: a prospective, randomized, clinical study. Critical Care Medicine. 2009; 17(6): 1866-1872. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0b013e31819ffcda
24. Sun SH, Chou YJ, Hsu CW, Chen WL. Hyaluronic acid as a treatment for ankle osteoarthritis. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2009; 2(2): 78-82.
25. Sun SH, Hsu CW, Sun HP, et al. Combined Botulinum Toxin type A With Modified Constraint-Induced Movement Therapy for Chronic Stroke Patients with Upper Extremity Spasticity-A Randomized Controlled Study. Neurorehabilitation Neural Repair. 2010; 24(1): 34-41. doi: 10.1177/1545968309341060
26. Hsu CW, Sun SH, Lee DL, et al. Impact of Disease Severity on Gastric Residual Volume in Critical Patients. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2011; 17(15): 2007-2012.
27. Sun SH, Hsu CW Sun HP, Chou YJ, Hung-Ju Li, Jue-Long Wang. The effect of three weekly intra-articular injections of hyaluronate on pain, function, and balance in patients with unilateral ankle arthritis. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2011; 93(18): 1720-1726. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.J.00315
28. Hsu CW. Glycemic control in critically ill patients. World Journal of Critical Care Medicine. 2012; 1(1): 31-39.
29. Hsu CW, Sun SH, Lin SL, Huang HH, Wong KF. Moderate glucose control results in less negative nitrogen balance in medical intensive care unit patients- a randomized controlled study. Critical Care. 2012; 16: R56. doi: 10.1186/cc11299
30. Huang HH, Chang SJ, Hsu CW, Chang TM, Kang SP, Liu MY. Severity of illness influences the efficacy of enteral feeding route on clinical outcomes in critically ill patients. Journal of American Diet Association. 2012; 112: 1138-1146. doi: 10.1016/j.jand.2012.04.013
31. Huang HH, Hsu CW, Kang SP, Liu MY, Chang SJ. Association between illness severity and timing of initial enteral feeding in critically ill patients: a retrospective observational study. Nutrition Journal. 2012; 11: 30. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-11-30
32. Sun SH, Hsu CW, Chou YJ, et al. Effects of intra articular botulinum toxin A in the treatment of ankle osteoarthritis. Taiwan Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2012; 40: 127-134.
33. Lin SH, Chu KA, Hsu CW, et al. Effects of repeated acupuncture on peak expiratory flow variation and serum eosinophil cationic protein concentration in asthmatic patients. Thoracic Medicine. 2013; 28: 138-146.
34. Chen YT, Hsu CW, Wu GS, Lai RS. The Effect of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation treatment on patients with severe acute respiratory distress syndrome caused by influenza virus. Thoracic Medicine. 2013; 28: 201-207.
35. Sun SH, Hsu CW, Lin HS, Sun HP, Chang PH, Hsieh WL, Wang JL. Combined neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) with fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing (FEES) and traditional swallowing rehabilitation in the treatment of stroke-related dysphagia. Dysphagia. 2013; 28: 557-566. doi: 10.1007/s00455-013-9466-9
36. Hsu CW, Sun SH, Lin HS, Lee DL, Chu KA. Clinical characteristics, hospital outcome and prognostic factors of patients with ventilator-related pneumothorax. Minerva Anestesiologica. 2014; 80(1): 29-38.
37. Hsu CW, Sun SH. Iatrogenic pneumothorax associated with mechanical ventilation. World Journal of Critical Care Medicine. 2014; 3(1): 8-14.
38. Sun SH, Hsu CW, Lin HS, Chou YJ, Chen JY, Wang JL. Efficacy of intraocular botulinum toxin A and intraarticular hyaluronate plus rehabilitation exercise in patients with unilateral ankle osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research. 2014; 7(1): 9.
39. Hsu CW, Sun SH, Chu KA, Lee DL, Wong KF. Monitoring sedation for bronchoscopy in mechanically ventilated patients by using the Ramsay sedation scale versus auditory-evoked potentials. BMC Pulmonary Medicine. 2014; 14(1): 15. doi: 10.1186/1471-2466-14-15