Chatchawin Assanasen, MD
UT Southeast Asian Pediatric Hematology
CCRI Distinguished Chair in Pediatric Oncology
Department of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
University of Texas Health Science Center
at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl MC 7810
San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Year Degree Discipline Institution/Location
•(1996) MD Medicine St. Georges University, School of Medicine, Bay Shore, NY, USA
•(1990) BA Natural Science University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
•(2000-2003) Pediatric Hematology/Oncology in University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
•(1996-1999) Pediatrics in University of Florida College of Medicine, Health Science Center, Jacksonville, FL, USA
•(2012 – Present) Distinguished Chair in Pediatric Oncology, Childrens Cancer, Research Institute, University of Texas Health Science Center, Department of Pediatrics, San Antonio, TX
•(2011 -Present) Associate Professor/Clinical Non-Tenured and Medical Director, South Texas Pediatric Blood and Cancer Center, University of Texas Health Science Center, Department of Pediatrics, San Antonio, TX
Details: Pediatric Hematology & Oncology
•(2011-2011) Assistant Professor/ Clinical Non-Tenured and Medical Director, Howard A. Britton MD Childhood Cancer and Blood Disorders Center, University of Texas Health Science Center, Department of Pediatrics, San Antonio, TX
Details: Pediatric Hematology & Oncology
•(2010-2011) Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor, Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Bradenton, FL
•(2006-2011) Clinical Assistant Professor Florida State University College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Tallahassee, FL
His research interests include: Complement Dysfunction, Global Health, OnControl Bone Marrow Biopsy Needle, Oncofertility, Pediatric Oncology.
HONORS AND AWARDS:
•(2014) Best Doctors in America
•(2013) NCI – Platinum Certificate of Excellence: For Exceptional Achievement in patient enrollments in National Cancer Institute Treatment and Cancer Control Clinical Trials
•(2013) Best Doctors in America
•(2010) Montclair Whos Who in North America
•(2010) Best Doctors in America
•(2009) Americas Top Oncologist, Consumers Research Council of America
•(2009) Best Doctors in America
•(2008) Guardian Angel Award, Sacred Heart Foundation: Pensacola, FL
•(2005) Golden Apple Teaching Award: University of Florida Pediatric Residency Program; Pensacola, FL
•(2005) Physician of the Year, Nemours Childrens Clinics
•(1997) Student Teaching Apple Award: University of Florida Health Science Center, Jacksonville, FL
•(2014-Present) American Association for Cancer Research
•(2012-Present) Cancer Therapy and Research Center
•(2010-Present) Society of Clinical Research Associates
•(2008-2011) Nemours Center for Childhood Cancer Research
•(2004-2010) Florida Association of Pediatric Tumor Programs
•(2000-Present) Childrens Oncology Group
•(2000-Present) American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
•(2000-Present) American Society of Clinical Oncology
•(2000-Present) American Society of Hematology
•(2000-Present) American Academy of Pediatrics
1. Ranch D, Crowther BR, Arar MY, Assanasen C. Prophylactic eculizumab for kidney transplantation in a child with atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome due to complement factor H mutation. Pediatric Transplantation. 2014; 18(6): E185-E189. doi: 10.1111/petr.12290.
2. Durham SH, Lee A, Assanasen C. Burkholderia cepacia Septicemia in a Pediatric Oncology Patient: A Pharmacotherapy Challenge. Ann Pharmacother. 2012; 46(6): e16. doi: 10.1345/aph.1R015.
3. Lee A, Henry DW, Ng JS, et al. Ifosfamide Neurotoxicity in Pediatric Patients: A Multi-Institutional Case Series Report. Journal of Hematology Oncology Pharmacy. 2011; 1(3): 12-17.
4. Amin R, Bohnert A, Holmes L, Rajasekaran A, Assanasen C. Response to “Childhood clustering in Florida: weighing the evidence”. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2010; 54(7): 1053-1053. doi: 10.1002/pbc.22488.
5. Amin R, Bohnert A, Holmes L, Rajasekaran A, Assanasen C. Epidemiologic mapping of Florida childhood cancer clusters. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2010; 54(4): 511-518. doi: 10.1002/pbc.22403.
6. Kreiger PA, Judkins AR, Russo PA, et al. Loss of INI1 expression defines a unique subset of pediatric undifferentiated soft tissue sarcomas. Mod Pathol. 2009; 22(1): 142-150. doi: 10.1038/modpathol.2008.185.
7. Fine RL, Shah SS, Moulton TA, et al. Androgen and c-Kit receptors in desmoplastic small round cell tumors resistant to chemotherapy: novel targets for therapy. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2007; 59(4): 429-437.
8. Assanasen C, Mineo C, Seetharam D, et al. Cholesterol binding, efflux, and a PDZ-interacting domain of scavenger receptor-BI mediate HDL-initiated signaling. J Clin Invest. 2005; 115(4): 969-977.
9. Assanasen C, Quinton RA, Buchanan GR. Acute myocardial infarction in sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2003; 25(12): 978-981.